“Great hotel, friendly staff, and excellent facilities”

Doubletree by Hilton San Juan
Ranked #11 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
London
“Great hotel, friendly staff, and excellent facilities”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights before our cruise. It was perfect for what we wanted. We were travelling from London so arrived at the hotel nearing 1am. A taxi from the airport cost around $16 at that time of night. We were checked in efficiently and given 2 warm cookies and two bottles of water, which were gratefully received after travelling for over 14 hours. The staff for our entire stay were all very helpful and friendly.

The rooms were clean, modern and well equipped. The hotel had a swimming pool, a hot tub, and a gym. We used all these facilities and really enjoyed them. The swimming area is a nice place to relax and the temperature of the hot tub is really nice and hot.

There is complimentary bottled water and coffee. They serve the complimentary coffee in the mornings between 7-9am, downstairs in the foyer. The bar and foyer is a nice place to sit and they also have seating outside, which we used daily.
They don’t provide laundry service but they do have washing facilities and will provide detergent and dryer sheets. We used this and found it sufficient for our needs.

There is also a 24 hour grocery store opposite the hotel which is very handy.
The location of the hotel is not in Old San Juan, a taxi there will cost around $21. The beach is about a 5-10 minute walk and a there are many restaurants and bars on Av Dr Ashford which is a 5 minute walk away. You can also use the facilities of their sister hotel La Concha; a renaissance resort, which is a five star resort. We went to the resort and spent the day at the pool.

This is a great hotel with very friendly staff. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here and highly recommend it

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Veggieofile

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
Lewisburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2012

I've been staying in this hotel for 3-4 years now.....I believe I stayed here shortly after it opened as a Doubletree a few years ago.....this was maybe my 6th or 7th stay.....usually I stay on business....but this time was on New Year's Day 2012 with my wife, an overnight stay, preparing for a week's getaway in Puerto Rico to start the year. My first impression a few years ago was "Wow"....what a nice property......room design, layout and location were excellent for business trips and it clearly continues to meet expectations.....it reminded me of the Doubletrees I had stayed at in Bogota and Kosice, Slovakia. But you can begin to see little signs that the wear and tear of continued use begin to demonstrate......things like occasional loose electrical connections, loose lampshades, burnt light bulbs, a little dimming of the lustre of furnishings......nothing serious at all.....but it has lost a little of its initial sparkle......a normal evolution. This is in no way anything other than a description.....not a criticism.....the hotel on this date was just slammed with people......extremely crowded, taxing the staff to keep up with parking, baggage handling, check-in, etc. The staff are by the way extremely well trained.....very friendly and engaging and helpful as can be. I have stayed at other Hilton properties.....I think all of them in the immediate San Juan region......and this is the best of the lot. For anyone "staying Hilton" ... for points and perks....in the San Juan area.....this property is the best choice. It is NOT a beach or resort hotel.......but it has a very nice outdoor pool area.......behind the front of the property......nicely landscaped with trees, shrubs, lighting, etc. I would recommend valet parking, if a guest is driving, because the self parking is a bit of a hassle and the difference in price between self parking and valet parking is not prohibitive at all. This property will continue to be my first choice when I'm in San Juan and "staying Hilton".

Room Tip: Use the valet parking for reasons enumerated before.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Roy P
YMCSanJuan, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, January 4, 2012
Saludos roycharles,

We wanted to thank you for your loyalty to our hotel and for giving us the opportunity to be of service to you when visiting San Juan. We truly understand that to continue our success we must maintain our hotel in optimum condition and ensure outstanding friendly service. I have just requested a complete room’s inspection to immediately attend the quick fix items that you have mentioned. At the beginning of December we started to reupholster all of our in room arm chairs, we should have this completed by the end of January. We are confident that this will help us maintain our sparkle and will continue to implement programs to help upgrade our hotel and maintain our consistency. If I can be of service to you in any way please do not hesitate to contact me at yodil.caban@hilton.com.

Always at your service,
Yodil Cabán
yodil.caban@hilton.com
Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a 4 night leisure stay here. I have no major complaints that would hender me from staying here again. I decided on this hotel because it had better reviews than the other Hilton I was looking into.
Location: it is not where "all the action" is, so if you want to be in the center of the hustle and bustle you may opt for another location HOWEVER it is within walking distance to get to any eatery or shopping-within .50 mile.
There is a grocery store right across the street which was really convienent to get basic bottled water and drinks.
The hotel is on a couple of the bus routes which was nice to catch a ride to Old San Juan. If you choose to ride it, the cost is .75 person and you need exact change(no dollars). Good way to get around and see the city too-but only do this if you have time.
Staff: They were friendly and very helpful. No complaints in that department. Anytime I asked for help or towels they were happy to offer assistance.
Room: it was clean and very modern furniture. It had a microwave, hairdryer, mini fridge, etc. One negative(and certainly not a big deal) was the maid left some food and stuff from previous guest...again, not a big deal. Another negative was that the walls were slightly "thin" I could hear the neighbors opening and closing the bathroom doors. They are heavy type material made of glass and they slide. It wasn't enough to keep me up at night. I am also use to sleeping with a "noise fan"-and we didn't have one of those to drown out the noises. Again, these negatives were not bad enough to keep me from staying at this hotel in the future.
We used the fitness center and pool area; both were small but nice-served its purpose.
We ate breakfast there every morning because we had vouchers. It was good. They had eggs, potatoes, fruits, omlets, bread, sausage, bacon, cereal.
One benefit of staying at this hotel is that you get guest priviledges at another hotel and casino. We did spend the day at this other hotel which was located on the beach. They set up an account and link it to the Double tree. We were able to get food, drinks, towels, etc.
We felt safe in the neighborhood and had a pleasant stay.

San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2012

We came to San Juan for a destination wedding and chose to stay here instead of the wedding hotel. We are so glad we did even though we had to walk back and forth to see the other guests for the 5 nights we were here. Rooms were comfortable, service was excellent, and the fresh cookies was always a huge bonus. It was also super convenient to have the 24 hour SuperMax across the street.

Hanover, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2011

Stayed at the hotel for a night pre-cruise. Hotel was very nice overall and quiet. Hotel staff was very friendly; check-in and check-out were a breeze.

I had called down to the hotel a couple of months before inquiring about a kayaking trip and the hotel staff took care of everything, called me back the same day to let me know it had been confirmed. The evening of arrival the excursion company picked us up and dropped us off at the hotel.

Rooms are very nice, much more pleasent than I was expecting, I especially liked the fact that the room we had had a large shower and no bathtub. The hotel had Aveda products in our room as well.

The room also had a trundel bed that we needed (think it pulls down out of the wall), I will say that when it is pulled down it does make the room more 'cozy' as there is not alot of floor space.

There was a desk, chair, and flat panel HDTV all in the room. No issue with noise during our stay.

The pool area seemed very nice and clean. The fitness room is located right off the pool and has large glass windows looking onto it.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank Preston71
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2011

Great place to stay on business. I wouldn't recommend for families only because it is in a strange neighborhood. There really isn't much shopping within walking distance.

Although it is only four blocks from the beach, I wouldn't recommend walking unless you are familiar with and comfortable in PR. If you have a car, there's a ton close by. Although the property is not beachfront, as a guest, you have access the beach at any other Hilton property in San Juan.

The parking structure is pretty inconvenient. The entrance in located around the block so it is worth paying for valet.

Gym is clean and has newer equipment. Four solid restaurants close by but all are a bit $$$.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank ICUHEN
Irving, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2011

I chose this hotel mainly bcos of its reviews & have to say it was all up to the mark. We had a very good experience while we stayed at this hotel for 5 nghts & 6 days.... it's located right in the heart of the city next to the main highway making all places very accessible from here... old san juan is a 5-7 min drive from here & one route is to take the highway, the other one runs parallely right next to the condado beach & there are some great eateries on this road all this makes the drive a good one. There are some good dining option right around the hotel building too.... SILK - an oriental cuisine is right next to the hotel & is very good.... then there is Bebo's cafe which serves good authentic puerto rican food... Apart from that the hotel itself also is very neat with well decorated rooms & well maintained facilities (hot tub, pool etc.) - the parking is a little walk which is very common in San Juan!

3 Thank Romila S