“Bates Motel in Paradise!”

Oceana Hostal Playero
Ranked #24 of 29 San Juan B&B and Inns
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Bates Motel in Paradise!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

Conveniently located only a block from the beach. A block in the other direction is a major avenue with lots of shopping/dining options and bus routes. No helpful advice offered upon check-in. Are towels available to borrow to take to the beach? Who knows? Was the complimentary breakfast mentioned? Nope. What we remember from check in was the FD clerk coming outside to tell us we could not park/unload in what appears to be a parking space in front of the hotel entrance. (Hint to hotel: if this is NOT a parking space, mark it with paint as a no parking zone and/or post NO PARKING/HOTEL ENTRANCE signs). Not the warm-and-fuzzy welcome guests usually receive. Maybe someone making a living in the hospitality industry should actually display some, you know, hospitality? FD clerk handing me two remotes (TV, A/C), with explicit instructions to return them upon check-out. Concern over preventing theft of remotes doesn't reflect well on the caliber of guests a place caters to. Small room, adequate and clean. Marginal A/C; the small flat screen TV picked up only one DISH TV channel. Poorly designed bathroom make it difficult to reach faucet controls without banging your hands on soap/cup holders. Water flow mysteriously died to toilet tank, led to comic fix by repeatedly filling trash pail with water from low-pressure shower head and manually dumping into toilet tank. There are many similar hotels nearby; we'll definitely try one of them on return visits.

Room Tip: There are many alternatives nearby at same price point that can't possibly be this disappointing...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Terry S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
PR
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014 via mobile

Room with dirty walls, dirty doors, stained, night lamp not working, a/c not cooling properly, very small bathroom and shower not well cleaned, no elevator, TV like a computer screen, no phone extension in room, wake up call knocking on your door.
Breakfast just toast with jelly, banana, coffee and juice...limited. Not staying there again.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Mildrilla

Travelers are raving about these San Juan hotels

Jackson, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

This place is a bit on the "worn" side...maybe it always was. It has an air of 1970's seediness that just might appeal to some. We knew it had some "ify" ratings before we went; we were not distressed or disappointed. I agree with my wife when I say this COULD be a fun hotel if the owners showed it a little bit more love. When we arrived we were cordially met by a pleasant, helpful clerk right out of a detective movie. We had to wait a while on a small open-air terrace beside the smallish swimming pool. The AC in the lobby was a bit sluggish so we opted for outside. Internet was free and we appreciated that.
When I asked for a Diet Coke at the little bistro, they had none, but they did have a Diet Sprite for which I was heartily grateful. The ceiling of the Bistro is painted in a "Starry NIght" theme and the decor of the hotel, in general, is right out of an Elmore Leonard novel.
Our room was on the third floor. It was a good little climb (no elevator, but then I do not think I would have trusted one had it been there). I had the feeling of climbing up the stairwell of a college dormitory. No help carrying baggage, but at Puerto Rican prices, I was glad I did not have to tip. Our room was basic and old. The door was flimsy and had a knob and lock which could have been easily broken into. There was a little security chain which would not stop a good kick. However, there IS some security because the clerk's desk is next to the door to the stairwell and guests are given a key to the stairwell; but I still would not advise one to stay with too many valuables, and the lone traveler might not feel extra safe.
Our room was relatively clean but the curtains were a tad shabby, and the room had plenty of wear with broken moldings and old furniture. The bed was springy and old, but I hoped it was clean and it seemed to be, and it was comfortable enough. The A/C was good and the TV ok.
On the plus side, there is a large rooftop patio that offers a neat view of the surrounding neighborhood including the ocean. We walked around the neighborhood that evening and ate at a little healthfood restaurant called Kamoli, which had excellent food, but they seemed a bit hurt when I asked for a Diet Coke, of which they had none. hahaha.
Our sleep was good at the hotel Oceana, but the next day we got a surprise when we turned on the shower. NO WATER...then a cold trickle...then a warm half-hearted trickle. Now that bathroom was clean, but I was disappointed in the shower...but sooooo grateful for the trickle.
I did not take advantage of the "complementary breakfast," but when I did ask for a cup of coffee, I got some kinda tepid coffee/milk mixture nuked in the microwave. It was not too appetizing but it was memorble. Happily, our taxi took no time to arrive and I had our bags ready. I can say again that with a little TLC this could be a good hotel, but for the price, I think I would try another...IF...you could find another for the price during the San Sebastian Festival.

Room Tip: I gave the Fitness center an Excellent because I had to climb the stairs 5 times with heavy baggage...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Daniel W
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

Booked this hotel last minute at a decent price. I could have stayed at a main chain hotel for the same price, but I choose this place. The hotel is in the hood there was a hooker on the corner, I'm not joking. The placed smelled as we walked in and not to mention the AC didn't work and it was 90 degrees outside. Unfortunately we had prepaid for the hotel, so we lost $300. We refused to stay caught a taxi to a resort. They refused to refund us saying it was against the law to issue a refund, so I just disputed it with my bank.

Run run run if you, unless your looking for hooker or some drugs this is your place.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Cpink3
Meriden, Connecticut, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

We really enjoyed our stay at this B&B. It was centrally located and the room was very comfortable. The staff was helpful and friendly and any requests were immediately addressed. Will definitely return to it and recommend it to friends.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Carmen R
San Juan, Puerto Rico
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

When i say that the shower barely works, I mean that the tepid trickle was unable to rinse the shampoo from my hair. There was no light bulb in the lamp, no ice maker (although an ice bucket was provided), and the free "continental breakfast" consisted of white bread and bananas and a glass of fruit punch (as they had RUN OUT OF COFFEE!!)
There is a park down the road that would have made for a better stay....the nicest thing that I can say, is that this is terribly awful- although I'm pumped to be in Puerto Rico!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank bgaillot
Baltimore, Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

I thought it would be a great ideal to stay here as I needed only one night and the hotel was close to the beach house my group stayed. I arrived to find a dirty little room that was out dated and smelly. I took a shower and went to use the wash cloth that was DIRTY! My 12 year old daughter and I got ready for bed and I pulled back the cover to find semen on the sheets. I went to tell/show the girl working at the desk and she was clearly not phased and unapologetic. She did move us to another dirty little room. I asked to speak to a manager and or owner and she told me I could email her. I asked for a partial refund and she indicated that wasn't possible. I'm still grossed out!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family