“Very overated”

At Wind Chimes Boutique Hotel
Ranked #33 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
“Very overated”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2004

I booked into this hotel because of the good ratings on trip advisor but it was just a disappointment. I travel constantly and stayed in hotels 214 days of 365 last year so I have seen few hotel. Firstly, to try and get into the hotel is like trying to get into a house with no one home. There is a bell at the front and you ring it and then a voice asks you who you are and if you sound ok they let you in. Secondly, it is a very pokey hotel and the staff seem very wary of you having a look around. I asked if I could have a look around and the resopnse was "why do you want to look around the hotel?". Thirdly, I went for the junior suite at $135 a night(the most expensive room) and the room was small, a double bed, no telephone or internet connection, a 14 inch TV, the bar fridge is empty, room service was not available. After I saw what the hotel was like(it was 4pm at this time) I asked if I could see another room for which the response was "the hotel is fully booked and this is the only room" so I asked to cancel my reservation and go to another hotel and they charged me the first night which with taxes was US$150 - I should expect this but it was still annoying. I went to the Courtyard Marriot in Isla Verde and it was very good in comparison and only cost US$176+taxes.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Skokie, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2004

We just got back from staying at the At Wind Chimes Inn from June 15-23. This small hotel is an oasis in San Juan, with a staff that is among the most friendly and welcoming I have ever met. We came from Chicago with our 2 children (10 and 16) and the staff gave us a great rate on two rooms (one queen bed one with two double beds) for staying the whole 9 days there.

The rooms are small but clean and comfortable. They certainly weren't fancy, but quite reasonable and the beds very comfortable. The original art in the rooms is also a very nice touch. The location was excellent. It was convenient to the beach (1/2 block from a great section of Condado beach which was never very crowded with great soft sand and warm and inviting water) as well as only a short walk to a 24 hour grocery store (we kept a small fridge in our room for fruit, water, and snacks - at a small additional fee). It also had excellent access to the highways and busses. We rented a car for a week of the trip, and although they were out of reserved parking spaces we usually could find a spot to park on one of the two blocks next to the hotel, and never felt any security problem parking there.

The small pool was very calm and relaxing, and despite its small size was great for us as we were the only people using it on every occasion but one. They also have several small decks for lounging and some nice plants and a charming deck with a number of wind chimes. They also have a nice bar which also serves breakfast and lunch/dinner plates.

But more than the nice rooms and charming and relaxing atmosphere, it is the staff at the Wind Chimes that truly deserves credit. The people at Wind Chimes are friendly and helpful at every moment. They are extremely conscientious and would always provide guidance with places to go, directions to get there, and help you organize your travels. From restaurants to tours, towels to postcards, there was never an unmet need or an unhelpful staff person.

From the moment we entered the hotel we felt at ease and at home. They really show you the true meaning of Puerto Rican hospitality.

Clearly this is the not the spot to go if you looking for one of the fancy hotels with luxury spotless rooms and a casino in the lobby. However if you are looking to stay at a really convenient place with a wonderful and welcoming staff, a relaxing and refreshing atmosphere, at a very reasonable value, then this is a great place.

I know it made our stay in Puerto Rico that much more memorable and enjoyable, and we would definitely stay there again.

3 Thank Scohn
Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2004

Stayed at the Inn from June 10th to the 13th and would go back! Our room was small but had everything we needed. It was clean and very pretty. We loved the tiles on the floor and the colorful decoration, the smell of candles and the music when you walked into the lobby. We spent most of the day out around the island, so when we came back at night, everything the Inn had was more than plenty. The pool is small but good enough for cooling off after a hot afternoon.
One very important thing, if you plan to rent a car, pay the extra $5 for parking becuase it is hard to find parking around. They have only 4 small spaces for parking so make sure you make arrangements. We did this and were glad we had a place to park every night.

2 Thank ibriden
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2004

My fiance' and I stayed here in April 2004 for 4 nights...we absolutely LOVED this cute little inn by the beach. The entire staff was incredibly friendly and went out of their way to make out stay great! Gabby, at the front desk, arranged for us last minute reservations for dinner at a popular local restaurant on a Friday night...Ute made us delicious omelettes each morning for breakfast and Ricky kept our glasses full each night at the bar! We will definitely be returning in January 2005 for our wedding...and are inviting all our guests to stay with us AT THE WIND CHIMES INN!!

5 Thank Kimball1974
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2004

My husband and I couldn't have been happier about our stay at Wind Chimes. We booked our 3 night, 4 day trip to SJ, PR spontaneously knowing we didn't want to stay in a big, cheesy resort. We pulled up to the inn and knew our research lead us in the right direction. Wind Chimes is staffed by kind people, is perfectly clean, cozy, and ideal for a quick, semi-no-frills getaway. It rained a bit everyday during our stay but that didn't stop us from going to Condado beach, sitting at the pool, exploring Old San Juan, and wandering in the SJ Art Museum. We had all our breakfasts at the inn - delicious. Our most memorable meal was at Pamela's (EXCEPTIONAL). We ate on the beach, feet in the sand style, and couldn't have asked for better food or service. All in all, we had a wonderful get away and Wind Chimes was a great place to rest our heads after days at the beach and exploring.

• Stayed May 2004
1 Thank dlpickup
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2004

My boyfriend and I booked our room on line. We checked in.
First of all, there was someone elses luggage in the room.( the person changed room)
It was not real clean, it smelled like urine, The bathroom was dirty, and we found roaches in the room. Needles to say we checked out that same afternoon. Lucky for us there were rooms available at the Ambassador, it saved our vacation

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these San Juan hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2004

I stayed at the Windchimes from April 22, 2004 thru April 27, 2004 to participate in a wedding. This hotel has provided excellent memories for myself and others, I met people from all walkes of life here, and all of them were very kind, some had been comming back to the Windchimes for years and I can see why! It's cozy, warm and very personal, I felt like this hotel was built with comfort in mind , and the food is good to, one of the best things, I met 2 couples that were also attending the wedding Toni. Dan, Matt, and Jennifer, we all became great friends and look forward to getting together. One this is for sure we all would come back to the Windchimes. WARNING!!!! Stay away from the Marriott in Condodo they dont like people from the states and they dont like our $$$$$$ trust me on this one! In other words if you see the Marriott RUN! Back to the Windchimes and dont pass it.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member