All reviewsboat barsister hotelpuerto ricocloser to the beachold san juanceiling fansmall poolbebo's cafefew blocksshort walk to the beachcondado beachsmall hotelhot tubbeach towelsnice beachacaciapr
Reviewed December 6, 2013

I was greeted by Omar, the front desk agent who said he had worked at the property for three months. He was very helpful. He got my reservation in order quickly – and this given my stay was covered via a “promotion” from some other business (no doubt they paid for the least expensive on the property). Omar showed me to my room, turned on the air conditioner, showed me the pool and the ice machine. He made sure I felt welcome to ask any additional questions.

As I’m sure I was at the bottom of the food chain with a sponsored room, I thought the room was great (#108). It was perhaps a lower veranda when the house functioned for some sort of rich family. I believe the hotel has only 24 rooms. It is wonderful how they meander around whimsical gardens. The plants are jungle-like; rich and mature. The murals on the inside gate/wall are pleasant and fitting. They have an interesting set of lights that change colors – pink, blue, yellow, purple. It is quite pretty, and very nice that they do not take themselves too serious to add a little something extra to the ambiance.

I should add that #108 is just around the corner from the “boat bar”; I don’t think this was a busy time for the hotel, but it was nevertheless very quiet and locked up before 10:30 p.m. People would come to the bar and enjoy a conversation with the bartender. It is also nice that the key to the room opens the gate wall that surrounds the property – so that one feels that it is both private and safe. The neighborhood is a mix of high-end beach lodging and some relics that are abandoned. Some might find this unattractive; I found that it made me dream of owning one of these very unique and historic properties. I thought they were beautiful.

I should add that one always hears birds and frogs (very tropic), even the sound of the ocean just ONE block down the street (or maybe it is just the wind?). The staff is always kind and professional. The beach is beautiful, yet still only a six minute walk in the sand to Ocean Beach - Fromer’s top pick for area Puerto Rico beaches. It is a wide, sandy area with plenty of beautiful trees for shade.

The pool was small, but refreshing and private. There is also a raised deck to the side of the pool. It was over chlorinated and was a bit stinky. I think they need to be careful about that…

Acacia is sister property just on the way to the beach (one building off the beach). It is a stunning little property; no doubt a star or two higher. They do not have a pool, but a long warm sitting pool; maybe like a hot tub, but better. I’ll consider staying here the next stay… just for fun.

I parked on Taft, which is a side street along one side of the hotel (the street that leads to the beach). I easily found parking even if maybe a block away. And it is free. I never had a problem doing this. It is also at 3 or 4 mile drive into the heart of Old San Juan… a real treat. And about a 30 minute drive to El Yunque… another favorite in the area. I went to Ponce one day as well, and that is just over an hour away and a very different city (also nice). I recommend renting the lowest price car at Charlies – I had a brand new little car that did great and for less than $100 for five days.

Very few negatives, but I’ll give you all of them. The towels in the room were embarrassing. I’m not sure why they have such a nice property and then offer towels as thin as tissue. The bathrooms are small, but this didn’t bother me at all. It felt authentic with clay tiles and a wonderful oxygenetics showerhead! Lighting is terrible – and could be fixed. I’ll draw up a bamboo frame for minimal effort and maximum light control for the manager. And finally the back gate door knob is tight against the frame – if you don’t use the “pull”, and pull the knob, you’ll cut your hand every time.

Sorry, no pictures as I saw none so far that did any justice!!!

I loved it… but then I’m not a snob. I was amazed with a few of the lesser reviews. I can hardly believe they stayed in the same place that I did. Maybe those guests would rather be included with the herd of cattle at the Marriott?

Room Tip: Free parking on Taft; and when you go to the beach a block a way, make sure to walk east a ways to Ocean Beach, Fromers pick for best beach. Tell Omar @ the front desk that I said nice things about him and be sure to give him a GIANT tip.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank NSteele
Reviewed November 21, 2013

We were totally impressed with the hotel and the service! Such a nice place. The bathrooms were clay grouted mosiac patterns; The halls had Tiffany style lamps and ferns. Nice marble like steps. Our room had a little balcony that opened to a view of the ocean. Room not large but we werent spending anytime in it -just to sleep. BIg surprise in a little price! Very pleased and would recommend this hotel to everyone. I emailed the staff to inquire about rental cars and things to do and they were over the top helpful. It was quite refreshing! Not a huge Hilton on Condado type experience including that price; I felt like we got the real taste of Puerto Rican hospitality. Within 5-10 minute drive to Old San Juan but you could make a day of the walk if you were ambitious. Blocks away from Starbucks. Had a jacuzzi and a pool which we did not use but looked nice.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank birdettem
Reviewed November 20, 2013

This is the second year we have stayed at this boutique hotel. It is centrally located and very close to the beach. The room we had was under the pool deck and was very dark. However, it was also very spacious and since we were not in the room during the day it was fine. We had 2 huge beds and a dining room table. The refrigerator made taking cool drinks to the beach a snap. All in all I would highly recommend this hotel for a beach stay in San Juan (Condado).

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor. Much airier.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 25, 2013

We stayed two separate times for our vacation Oct 9th thru the 17th. Our first night because our plane was getting in late in the day and wanted something kind of close to the airport, and then we decided to stay our last night there because we liked it so much. The people that run it are very friendly and informative. Read also review "Yinzer13" because they said a lot of what I was going to say. Be prepared to climb steps if you get a room on the second floor as they do not have a elevator. We stayed the first night on ground level, the last night in room 121 (which is upstairs). It was a very nice room overlooking both the pool and the street corner. Traffic did not bother us at all. The hotel sits on a corner street lot. Parking is hard to find right next to the Hotel, we got lucky both times. The rooms are very clean and the beds are nice. The only thing missing for me was a continental breakfast, wish they had one, but they said that you could use your hotel key to get in the sister hotel down the street which had a buffet. We didn't try it though. A short walk to the beach, was told by locals to watch your belongings because of the poor economy situation, some people get alittle greedy. We appreciated the advice. Beautiful beach. We would stay here again in a heart beat. Very affordable and clean. Loved the feel of it. An old Spanish refurbished Mansion.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Totally cute and quaint; the perfect pied-a-terre for a San Juan experience. Walk to the beach. Drive into Old San Juan.

And, do yourself a favor and grab breakfast at the cutest little coffee shop around: Kamoli Butik + Kafe. The hotel's recommended Noche is over-priced.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple