WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of At Wind Chimes Boutique Hotel

At Wind Chimes Boutique Hotel
Ranked #32 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Dallas, Texas
“Nice little boutique hotel in the heart of Puerto Rico”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

We stayed in this hotel in April of 2011. When we got here we were amazing at how quaint is was and how nice the pool looked. Our room was very beautiful and alot of light came into it. The balcony was amazing! The beds were comfortable and the fridge and microwave worked. There was tile floor and the hotel has a Spanish feel to it. The WI-FI was spotty, it worked in the lobby and in the Boat Bar, but not in the room. We were thrilled to find out the beautiful beach was 1 block away. Overall, this is a wonderful hotel to stay in!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

I chose this hotel because it was the cheapest and the stay was okay. The rooms are old and has a Spanish feel to it.

Parking is a pain, they have parking available for only 1 or 2 cars and we had to park on the street. Even though it was not very difficult to find parking on the street, it was an unpleasant surprise to know that you have to specify that you will be using the parking lot in advance at the time of booking.

Room Tip: You have to specify that you will be using the parking lot in advance at the time of booking.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Edgewater, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

I arrived in P.R. Tuesday 8/28/12 at 11am-- I went only for one day. I was traveling StandBy and I knew that I was wait listed for a flight leaving early on 8/29/12. Since I was only going to be there for one day I wasn't going to get a hotel but I saw this hotel on Orbitz for $78. and it had a pool, a hot tub, a restaurant and a bar so I decided that I would indulge myself. When I booked this room I was already in P.R., I told the Orbitz agent that I was going from the airport to the Hotel, the time was around 11:10 am. 1st problem encountered--when I got to the hotel around noon they would not allow me to check in even though I told them that I understood that I would not be able to get the key or access the room but I just wanted to register and leave my bag. They said no not until 2pm. I explained that I had an appointment with a lawyer at 2pm in Carolina and I would not be able to return until after 6pm. They still said no.

Next problem when I returned around 7:30pm the hotel was all locked up and no one was on the front desk. There was another couple with suitcases also waiting. They informed me that they had called the number on the door about 15 minutes prior and was told that someone would be right there. That this someone was coming from a block away from a sister hotel. I also called and was told that someone should be there momentarily. Well 10 minutes later someone did come and I got checked in by 8pm. Next and final problem-- I was wiped out from all the running around I had done and I was hungry as I had not eaten anything all day and I left my home at 4am- I was just anxious to get something to eat and sit in the HOT TUB - well this is the kicker- the hot tub and the restaurant are both in the sister hotel a block away. They only had a bar (a very nice bar) and a pool (a very nice pool). So I walked as suggested 10 minutes to a very nice restaurant on Ashford and on the way back to hotel I indulged in a little casino action at a very nice casino in the Radisson. Needless to say I only returned to the hotel at 12:45am had to gather my things, check out, as the first flight I was listed for left at 2:55am. So you can see how disappointed I was because had the restaurant and the hot tub been on premises I was have saved a lot of money (money that I lost at the casino). I had all intentions of eating right there and relaxing in hot tub and perhaps visiting the bar (which I did anyway). I am really not complaining--I was only disappointed. But on a positive note the Wind Chime is a very lovely hotel, the room was nice and clean( although I only put my bag in the room and then returned to remove my bag), the Front Desk Clerk and the Bar Maid were both delightful, energetic and very pleasant. And best of all the price($78) was a bargain. You could not find a nicer place to stay in that area. The location is perfect, in close proximity to stores, shops, restaurants, casinos, the beach -- just about everything.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

Pros: good location, plumbing, and air conditioning, available beach towels and chairs for rent, beautiful large hot tub, easy check-in and check-out.

Cons: found a cockroach in room, house cat was on our bed one day, no soap provided one day, room not carefully cleaned, no parking available so had to park on street and got a ticket.

The sun is strong so be sure to use plenty of sunscreen. Also, I got bitten up by mosquitos so be sure to use bug repellent. The staff is friendly and happy to assist. I am not very picky but unfortunately I wouldn't recommend this inn only because we had so many mishaps :(

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these San Juan hotels

Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

Just came back from a 4 1/2 day stay at Wind Chimes and I have nothing but great things to say about this hotel! It was our first time in PR and were traveling for my birthday vacation, so I was looking for a special experience. Wind Chimes bent over backwards to make us comfortable. Claudio at the front desk was awesome (as was everyone); he always took the time to walk us through directions in our excursions to the East or South, and made sure we had the hotel's number to call if we got lost ("we're you're personal GPS!" as he liked to say). There was a pipe leak in our small standard room, and once we informed them they moved us to a huge queen-sized suite, no questions asked. Everyone we crossed paths with at the hotel was pleasant and helpful. I also want to point out that we're a Black couple traveling: this is important because I have absolutely experienced hotels that treat tourists of color and white tourists differently; it was great to stay at a place that treated us so warmly.

Rooms were clean, just beware of mosquitos (it's a tropical environment, so to be expected). Walking distance to Old San Juan and great dining in the area. They'll call a cab or car rental place for you if you need. Also let us leave our bags there after check out so we could explore Old San Juan unencumbered after check out. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lucienne60827
Calgary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

My confidence in this booking wavered before leaving home, but our worries were for nothing - we really liked this hotel. Very quaint; much more authentic feeling than some generic chain hotel. We had an economy room on the ground floor opening into the courtyard/pool area. One queen and bathroom with shower only, excellent A/C and the world's highest velocity ceiling fan (great for white noise if you need that). It wasn't exactly posh, but meticulously clean and adequate for our needs. The staff were friendly (shout out to Calvin) and efficiently took care of the few needs we had. The pool offered much needed relief from the late evening heat. No food service on-site but coffee was available in the lobby and free wifi operated reliably from the common areas. (NOTE: photos and descriptions of Windchimes on their website and other booking engines are very accurate.)

Our take on some comments we had read in previous reviews: Convenient location? $15 cab ride from the airport. We arrived after dark and the entrance was not well-lit nor were the main doors open. This aspect could use some improvement. Noisy? Yes, knd of. Traffic on the street and other guests coming and going could definitely be heard in the room but this didn't disturb us at all. Safe? It must have been - as first time visitors to San Juan, we got fairly badly lost looking for a drugstore and wandered for blocks and blocks along streets and alleys after dark without any sense of threat at all (also happened upon a very popular nightclub where we had a fantastic meal - serendipity!!).

Overall, we loved this hotel and would definitely recommend it to anyone who appreciates simplicity and charm.

Room Tip: No elevators. Take a ground-floor room if you pack heavy like we did (pre-cruise).
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Pine Mountain, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

My sister and myself stayed for two nights, which wasn't long enough, but the Calvin and all the staff were excellent and very helpful. Our room was very spacious and very clean. A/c worked great and the TV had all the channels that we normally watch. We got information from Calvin at the front desk about the bus ($.75) to Old San Juan and also once in Old San Juan they offer a trolley that is free to ride to see the castles, all the shops, and the town. It was great. We left at 8:30 AM and returned at 9:00 PM. Next time we are going to the Rain Forest and the Waterfalls. Just did'nt have enough time. We will stay at the Wind Chimes on our next trip. Just wanted to thank to Staff and Calvin for their "EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE!"
SeeYa Soon! Debbie Whitten/Beverly Strickland RM122

Room Tip: Stayed in Room #122 which was very spacious and clean.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends