“Cozy rooms, perfect for the world traveler” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of At Wind Chimes Boutique Hotel

At Wind Chimes Boutique Hotel
Ranked #33 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
“Cozy rooms, perfect for the world traveler”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

I was wary of staying here, especially after reading the reviews. However, we snatched up their deal of the day rate - which I found directly on their website - and we were able to stay 5 nights for $375!

On our very first night, we arrived at 2 am. We were hot, sweaty, and tired. There was a mixup at the front desk, so the night attendant put us in a room for the night and told us to come back in the morning to speak to the manager. We were put into the tiny room (112) that everyone on this site seems to be complaining about. Yes, it was small, but it had a comfortable bed, a working AC, and a TV. We passed right out. After a stressful day of traveling, it seemed like the most comfortable sleep in my life.

We awoke the next morning and went to the front desk to figure out the issue from the night before. Turns out, I had booked the reservation under my partner's name and was totally oblivious to that fact at 2am the night before. The manager was helpful and quickly got us sorted away. We were able to move our luggage into the room across from where we stayed the previous night - 113. It was several sizes bigger than 112.

Pros:
The bed was comfy.
The AC worked gloriously well.
The TV worked (we're not night owls, so we spent a few hours each night unwinding in bed).
The room was quiet.
The front desk attendants were courteous and very helpful.
Only a few blocks from a gorgeous beach (it wasn't even very crowded!)
The pool, while small, was very relaxing and never crowded.

Cons:
Yes, the bathroom is small. But it wasn't that much of a big deal to us. The toilet, shower, and sink worked perfectly. However, the door is very thin, not allowing for much privacy when using the toilet (and with Puerto Rican food, I guarantee you'll visit the toilet several times during your trip - especially if you have the mofongo!).

**********************************************************************************************************************

This hotel is perfect for the world traveler who is budget minded, and looking for comfortable accomodations after a day of exploring Old San Juan or walking on the beach.

About the travelers: We were a mid-20s couple on a 4th of July vacation from the US.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ladyforsci

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

Stayed here for a couple of days. Some rooms are lovely and quaint and have refrigerators and one I saw even had a stove- others are very small with a bathroom so tiny it is hard to navigate. Things move slow here- so if you want fast service, not the place. But the nearby beach is quite beautiful and the bakery down the road is good. Also, breakfast at the sister hotel is very nice.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank gloria73
Galena, Maryland, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012

We booked 3 rooms at this hotel for our group based on the price, which fit our budget. We were traveling with teenagers and spent three nights. Check in was somewhat slow, parking was nonexistent and directions to possible parking were vague. Having read the reviews we were skeptical about what what we would find upon entering our rooms. What we found were quaint, clean rooms, though a bit small (2 out of the 3). The youth enjoyed the pool, our group did fill it up as it is on the small side. The walk to the beach was short and the time spent there was enjoyable. We also found Kasaltas panaderia, which is well worth the walk for breakfast. We spent most of our time sightseeing and out of the rooms, using them for showers and sleeping, but they served our purpose. If you want all the amenities of a luxury hotel this isn't the place for you, but if you are looking for a quaint, cozy spot you should consider this place.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank jdk357
Chicago
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

The good reviews have to be plants, because this hotel is a dump. Check-in took forever. They could only provide us with one key to our room and there was no key to the safe. The wifi was limited to certain sites, like internet service in a communist country (we couldn't access youtube, for example). The "TV" was a 21-inch PC monitor. There was a cockroach in the bathroom, the lighting was so dim it was difficult to shave, and the shower nozzle was at shoulder level. When we left the room, they turned off the AC, so we returned from a walk in hot, humid San Juan to a hot, humid room. They supposedly have a bar, but I couldn't find it. Possibly the worst thing is that it's a long way away from everything. You can get a nicer hotel in the heart of the Condado for about the same rate and save yourself a lot of cab fare. The best decision we made on the trip was to check out of At Wind Chimes two days early, forfeiting half of what we had paid. They didn't even ask why we were leaving. That's a sure sign of a place that gets a lot of walk-outs.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Steve60640

Travelers are raving about these San Juan hotels

Harwinton, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2012

We visited Puerto Rico in June 2012. The pros; Great location to Ocean Park beach, nice little shops and Kasalta's, a well known local bakery. Staff were very accomodating! The pool was lovely and the sister hotel, Acacia had a beautiful, large hot tub. The AC in our room worked great! There are some very nice areas within the hotel property to relax whether in the shade or sun. The plants/flowers were beautiful.

The cons; we were very excited to have arrived, however the more time that we spent in our room, the more issues we had. After a day in the sun, we settled down to catch some television to find that ours did not work. When going to call the desk about this, realized that we did not have a phone! Once at the front desk, it was explained that the phone had to come out of that room that day for wiring issues, someone did come to the room to attempt to fix the tv, was unable but did say he would put a work order in for the next day. We woke with bug bites which were probably from the 2 in gap underneath the door which we ended up trying to cover with the pillows from our beds! No blankets on the bed, just a sheet and thin bedspread (I understand that it's a warmer climate, but not with the AC on). The next morning, the toilet plugged, hot water was sparce, one small bath towel for each, water from the shower leaked into the room. We just started to see things that could have easily been replaced, small things like the rusty, broken fixtures on the shower rod. We did approach the dest the next morning requesting a room with a working television (as we were told it was the tv and not sure what would be done about it) and a phone in our room. I was told, "I'll see what we can do". We went out for b-fast, returned to find the tv working! Miraculous. At our check in, we were offered one or two keys to our room, but was discovered that there was only one key available. There was no gate lift buzzer available so we had to ask someone to open the gate for us each time we went in or out with our rental car. Upon our check out, we heard two other people requesting new rooms, one for too noisy of her location and the other for cockroaches in her room. We are not over priviledged, high maintence people, but some things are just common comfort for travelers, expecially if you have children with you and do not go out at night and do the club scene and expecially for the cost charged. Parking is $10/day, and a $10 charge to get a key for the safe box in your room. So an additional $50 added to our bill. Next visit, we will stay at the Acacia, it was much nicer. Hard to believe that the same person/company owns both!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank greenmtngrl726
Jacksonville, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2012

I will try to be as objective as possible with this review. The purpose of my trip was mainly business and pre-paid via Expedia. Why do I mention this, because otherwise I would’ve left but since it was memorial weekend, everything else was already booked. I stayed for 3 nights/4 days. I should have left!

Room: The air condition unit is one of those used by older hotels, right under the window, thus it was somewhat noisy. The furniture was old and the TV was just a bit bigger than my laptop (but you are not there to watch TV, so I didn’t care much).

Bathroom: the worst; very small, has no window or vent, the sink and toilet are almost touching, and clearly if you stand up from the toilet carelessly you will hit the towel rack in front of you, refer to my picture. But the biggest complaint of all was the shower; hot water issues (read below) plus no pressure. It was just not a good shower, not the one that will take away aches and pains from walking all day long.

Hot water issues. Out of the 4 days I was there, 2 I did NOT have HOT WATER. I informed the front desk only to find out they couldn’t do anything until the next day. The next morning they told me that the water tank or heater was having issues and “sorry” but there was nothing else to do. They were going to look into it as soon as possible. I was on my way to a meeting and had to leave. Came back in the afternoon and it was fixed. However, it only lasted a day and a half. During my last night and last morning I had to shower with cold water.

Parking (10$/day). If you rented a car (like I did), make sure you let them know with plenty of time as the only garage is located by the sister hotel (Acacia) and they only have a few spaces available. Thus, you might end up like me, parking on the street anywhere from a few feet away to a couple blocks away.

Location: just okay. You are one block away from the beach where locals go. Unfortunately, food is a bit of an issue, as you have to walk a couple of blocks even for breakfast. They say that their sister hotel (The nicer Acacia) has a restaurant, good but expensive, tiny and open for BK and Dinner only. I needed to eat breakfast early so I was there at opening time (8am) but they were late and did not open! This hotel is located about 5-7 blocks away from “El Condado” area, which is more than enough to break a sweat in San Juan’s warm weather. The 2 areas where you will want to walk around at night are “El Condado” and “Old San Juan”, and they are a good 10min car ride apart from each other, so map your outings.

Internet issues. The hotel looks good from the outside, but it needs more help inside. It is an old house that has been renovated. Two routers provide the Internet service, one by the front office and one in the back of the property. All the rooms are made of concrete, so reception is not the greatest, plus if you are stuck in the middle (such as room 107) then it is even worse.

Room Tip: Do NOT allow them to give you room # 107.