We were only supposed to have a short layover in San Juan between the BVI and home but after our flight was cancelled, we were stuck for the night so we decided to stay at a nice hotel and enjoy San Juan....wrong hotel for that!
We requested a non-smoking, "best available" room via [--]. Upon check-in, we were taken to a room that absolutely stank of cigarette smoke as soon as we opened the door. We thought, ok, maybe this is all they had. Then, I look up and notice the light fixture had no cover-just a bulb and from there, I see the mold on the walls and ceiling! No wonder the room smelled so bad. We called the front desk and were taken to a much better, larger, non-smoking room, which is what we booked in the first place!
Before dinner, I decided to iron a white skirt with the iron/ironing board provided...another mistake! As soon as I touched the iron to my skirt, thick black goo leaked out onto it. After THREE calls to housekeeping, someone finally answered promising to come to our room in 5 minutes...45 minutes later, we gave up and went to dinner. Again, eating dinner at the hotel was a big mistake, my husband's fish was inedible and my calamari could easily have come from the freezer isle at anybody's local discount grocier!
As if our short stay hadn't already been horrible enough, when it was time to check out, they tried to charge us for the room (which we had booked and paid for through [--]). We asked for a taxi to the airport-which we had a voucher for-and they tried to make us pay for a transfer to the airport instead!
They only decent part of our stay was the Housekeeping Manager, who, after complaining about the iron and lack of service the night before, took my skirt and promised to send it back to me after it had been cleaned. I doubted it would happen, but it was ruined at it was, anyway. You wouldn't believe my surprise when it actually arrived a week later, good as new-the only good part of the experience, which actually shouldn't have been necessary anyway.
Oh, and by the way, a month later when the AMEX bill arrived, they had charged our card for the night! We weren't surprised, but at least AMEX took care of it for us.
The best advice I have, just don't stay here...NO MATTER WHAT.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel is situated in the heart of historic and romantic old San Juan district. We are ideally located on the waterfront, just a few moments from the docking point of grand cruise ships. We are literally "Steps from Everything" as you can walk to over 200 restaurants, cafe's, pubs, shops & much more. There is also a secluded beach 0.7 miles / 13 minute walk across Capitol - Senate house in Old San Juan or a 1.1 mile scenic walk to pristine Escambron beach which has food kiosks etc. Discover why Old San Juan is the Caribbean's most visited city. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel And Casino
- Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel San Juan
- Sheraton San Juan
- San Juan Sheraton
- Old San Juan Sheraton