“Great hotel, great location”

Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel
Ranked #19 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Orlando, Florida
“Great hotel, great location”
Reviewed January 10, 2007

Stayed at the hotel on Sheraton points for one night pre cruise. Were upgraded to a one bedroom with a full view of the port. The hotel is across the street from the port. It is within walking distance of absolutely everything which was extremely convenient for last minute toiletries.
We got into the hotel after 11 pm on a Saturday and were able to find a restaurant around the corner still serving dinner. No 24 hr room service though, so plan accordingly. If we were coming in during the week, we'd make sure to stay at another property with 24 hr room service. The airport has absolutely nowhere to eat late at night.
Hotel has a casino and pool, but we didn't use either.
Hotel is not on the beach and not sure how far it would be to get to one.
Believe it took about 20 mins from the airport via cab.
Area is very crowded and congested car wise on the weekends. TIny streets, so plan for that also.
Friendly and polite staff.
Had a restful, quiet night.

• Liked — The location and room comfort.
  • Disliked — No 24 hr room service
  • Tips/Secrets — Late flights beware. No 24 hr room service and nowhere to get food during the week.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank californiamom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (505)
st pete,fla
Reviewed November 28, 2006

we stayed pre cruise in sept,and worried about the hotel reviews since there was so many negative reviews.. but to our surprise the hotel staff and room was great.. we stayed top floor with a view of the pier and the fort... i would visit the hotel on my next stay, it is the best location in town. we walked all over old sanjuan.. great hotel thanxs sheraton.....

• Liked — the view and location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jimbo66
Maryland
Reviewed October 30, 2006

I stayed here after a carnival cruise. The location of the hotel to the port was THE BEST! I literally walked off the ship, out of the port, down and across the street to the lobby of the hotel. My luggage was 66lbs and the weather was hot and humid! The location was great!

The room was great spacious and comfotable. I stayed in a smaller hotel before my cruise, and I could literaly fit my first hotel room, bathroom included, in the the bathroom of the Sheraton.

The staff was nice and the location of the hotel in Old San Juan was perfect. Everything was in walking distance (food, scenery, shops etc).

I would reccomend staying here if you are going on a cruise or just visiting San Juan.

Also, I would reccomend eating in a resturant that is close by. I am not sure of the name, but it is on the same main street as the Sheraton (to the left, facing the water), the next block after the coldstone creamery (yum). They have tables outside and a small eating area inside. The food and service are excellent!

• Tips/Secrets — Book ahead. We did and only paid $140/night. Carnival guest looking to book the night we returned, paid $325/night. Also, there are hidden charges.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
5 Thank Travel-n-Buppie
Columbus, OH
Reviewed September 15, 2006

I had read recommendations in Cruise Critic, and also the reviews on this site. The reviews were mixed and had to say had us a bit worried about our 3 day stay before we went on a cruise. We arrived Fri and stayed till Sun afternoon! We had a great time! The personnel at the hotel were great and suggested several different restaurants for us to get the feel of the country. Our room was on the 8th floor. I recommend that you join Starwood after booking a room there, as were put on a member No Smoking floor. We had requested a no smoking room and partial harbor view! We had a full harbor view-the view was fabulous. We also had an elevator, never a long wait, in fact most of the time we were the only people in them. We had the continental breakfast (buffet) which was $12., and if you wanted the full breakfast $21.95, which included hot meats, eggs, custom omelets, etc. Our room was very clean and so was our large bathroom. The only little part of a downside, the room had a slightly musty smell, and an edge of the ceiling at the corner plaster had come down by french doors that opened to the small balcony!
The hotel itself is great, and what a location! We walked all evening on Friday and never was far from the hotel. We felt very safe. On Saturday, we walked to the toursit office, and took the free trolley to Old San Juan city, and then to Fort Morro. We had a very enjoyable time. Our Travel agent got the room about 5 months in advance for $135/night, for a partial harbor view! We feel that was truely a bargain. We had friends staying in the Caribe Hilton, they said they had a great room, but were close to nothing, and constantly had to take a cab to get anywhere!

• Liked — The Personnel
  • Disliked — Musty smell in room
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
17 Thank janchip
east coast
Reviewed August 21, 2006

My family and I stayed at this hotel in July 2006. The perfect sleeper beds are fabulous. Staff was very helpful. The rooftop pool and jacuzzi were great and not crowded. You can take spectacular pictures from the roof. Great location in the heart of old san juan. Everything within walking distance. Variety of restaurants was good. Avoid buffet breakfast as it is $18.00 per person. Expensive for families. Rooms were very clean and the shower had the best water pressure of anywhere I have stayed in the world. Take the ferry boat to Catano for 50 cents and go for the free Bacardi Factory tour. We would definitely stay here again.

13 Thank nurseiv
florida
Reviewed August 18, 2006

Enclosed are some pics of my wife's hair as well as the green staining of the spa . You can plainly see the green coloration around the various areas of the spa this same pigmentation was transferred to my wife's hair.I don't care what the engineer says about pool chemical levels being proper its clearly an issue when it is visible to the eye. As for the managers excuse of the pool chemicals interacting with hair products? If that were the case my wife's hair is naturally blonde she doesn't use ANY coloring products. With the security alerts at the airports we did not pack any liquid items,we only used the hair products provided by your hotel.None the less there are NO POSTED signs warning this may occur.

I must reiterate how her hair turning that green color completely ruined our weekend.She was so embarrassed she didn't even want to walk around.The on site manager Mariel was completely unqualified to address the situation.It took us several calls and finally several visits to the front desk to finally speak with someone.There was also at least one other couple there who was having the same problem.They spoke with Tracy Harris on Saturday.

They blamed this on us not taking responsibility.It ruined our vacation and they wont do anything about it.

Stayed August 2006
10 Thank wernerww
Massachusetts, USA
Reviewed August 14, 2006

I stayed at the Sheraton Old San Juan before departing on a 7 night cruise. My family arrived in San Juan a day before myself. Upon check in they were told that the room with two double beds and cot we had reserved would not be available. However, because of this, the hotel automatically gave us a complimentary upgrade to a two bedroom suite! When I checked in the next day I was at first a bit disappointed because of the close proximity of the casino to the lobby. I was afraid that it would be too noisy and too smokey, but I was happily wrong. Our suite on the fourth floor was not affected at all by the noise of the casino. The location of the hotel is great for those wishing to wander around Old San Juan. As soon as we walked out the hotel we were in the shopping and restaurant district of OSJ! We felt safe during our whole stay. For those people who wrote earlier that they were disappointed in not having a view from your room, you must remember that this is a city hotel- not every room has a view of the water. And even if you did have a view of the water, its full of cruise ships and barges- it is a working port afterall!! One of the two cruise ports in OSJ is right across the street from the hotel. Unfortunately, our cruise line was docked at the other port, but a short cab ride (which was arranged by the helpful hotel staff) was all it took to get from the hotel to the ship. I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in San Juan prior to a cruise because of its great staff and great location.

• Liked — location to Old San Juan and cruise port
  • Disliked — very crowded because of cruise passengers
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled with family