“Nice rooms, good service, great location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel

Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel
Ranked #20 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Overland Park, Kansas
“Nice rooms, good service, great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2010

I arrived at the hotel early in the afternoon, so was not expecting to be able to check-in, I just wanted to store my luggage while I went exploring. To my surpise, my room was ready, even though check-in is not guaranteed until 3pm. A bellman loaded my luggage (quite a bit since I was settling in for a 3 week stay while waiting for my apartment to be ready) and escorted me to my room, informing me of the hotel's amenities and services along the way.
I was once again surprised to find that my room had been upgraded to a junior suite, due to the fact that I was staying so long, they wanted to ensure my comfort during the stay! My suite had a huge balcony with furniture, my room was more than I would have ever dreamt or needed. I felt guilty being in such an accommodation for so long without paying more for it.
Throughout my stay, housekeeping was excellent. Even if I declined service, I would arrive back to my room to find coffee and towels replenished.
Everyone I encountered from front desk agents to housekeeping to engineering to restaurant staff were extremely polite and helpful (I don't speak Spanish).
The fitness room offers everything I could want, the pool is beautiful and well cared for, the food and service in Palio restaurant is excellent. I even had the opportunity to speak with some of the senior managers at the hotel who mingle with guests in the lobby each afternoon.
I would highly recommend this hotel for all of the above reasons to anyone looking for a place to stay in Old San Juan.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank Terri S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (488)
Silver Spring, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2010

I thought this hotel was fine. Not much ambiance but I wasn't expecting that. It is in a big tourist area and most of the hotel guests seem to be people arriving or departing from the cruise ships. Some reviews complained about the front desk service but I thought they were fine. When we checked in I requested a quiet room on a high floor and they gave me a room on the 9th (top) floor, same level as the fitness center and pool. No view to speak of but they had warned me about that and I didn't care. Beds were OK, not great but fine for two nights. The rooftop pool has a nice view; hot tub on the roof was lukewarm and they were not able to fix the issue during our stay. Still usable though. Clean room and an excellent location for visiting old San Juan.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
New york
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2010

We checked into this hotel for one night (Sunday) after disembarking from the Carnival Victory and the experience was terrible. The lobby is a madhouse and there are no staff telling you which of the lines to stand in or managing the crowds at all. The staff are overwhelmed as there are too few of them to deal with the crowds. We could not access our room until 5pm and once in there it stunk of must and you cannot open the windows. I've had better experiences in $15 hotels in Thailand!!

New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2010

We stayed at Sheraton OSJ for one night before our cruise out of the Pan America Pier. As previous reviewers stated, the location was awesome. We arrived San Juan airport at around 8pm and the cab ride to the hotel was less than 15 mins ($19 + $1 for each luggage). There was no line at all for check-in. We went back out to walk around and grabbed a bite right after settling down. In my opinion, the hotel was decent. It was not spotless but at least it was clean. The room was average size and probably bigger than most of the hotels in NYC. The view was nice (we were on the 4th Fl) until they blew up the frog in the morning. The bed was comfortable except that the comforter did get a litle too heavy and warm. The only problem that we had was the bath tub drain. The water went down very slowly. We used the in-room check-out the next morning at 11am. We waited the elevators for a while as most of the people were checking out at the same time and the little elevators couldn't hold more than a few adults and two suitcases. It was a little chaotic in the tiny lobby as there were people trying to check-out, and people who just got off the cruises trying to check in. However, within a minute after getting to the lobby, I was able to grab a staff member and asked him to store our luggages for a few hours while we tour a little more of OSJ before getting on the ship.

If you ask me, no, it doesn't really worth $200/night for this hotel. However, if you really want to stay in OSJ (which was our priority with the limited time that we had) for a night or two, this is the place. There are other "hotels" in OSJ but they tend to be even smaller, less fancy, and also more noisy. There are hotels in "new" San Juan for a lower price but if you have to take a cab to go back and forth OSJ, the cost would end up pretty much the same. The cab fare from this hotel to Pan America Pier is $10 + $1 for each luggage).

2 Thank QQKris
Waterbury, Vermont
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2010

Having visited San Juan prior to many cruises, we were very excited to get a room at the Sheraton for a night prior to our cruise. We have always thought it would be a great place to stay given its location. We found it to be a fine hotel...pretty dated, small pool, old elevators which sometimes worked, but it was within walking distance to all the sights and sounds in Old San Juan. The room was basic and bed uncomfortable, but everything was clean. There were tons of restaurants right nearby. Highly recommend La Lechonera, which just opened behind the hotel.

Would recommend if you want to be in OSJ without paying El Convento rates. Otherwise stay in Isla Verde.

1 Thank pjfarr1
New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2010

The only thing good about this Hotel is location. Check-in people at the front desk are RUDE!! Pool area was dirty and the hot tub was disgusting. They also charge you an additional 23.00 per day for parking and they also charge 20.00 hotel fees plus the 20.00 taxes. For a little over 200.00 a night you can stay in much better hotel. Casino is really small. This Hotel has no beach.

Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2010

The Sheraton Old San Juan is in a great location for touring Old San Juan, but it comes with other issues. We stayed here for 2 nights because we were taking a cruise out of Puerto Rico, on celebrity cruise line. I thought the hotel would be ideal for us, being that it was in walking distance from the port. Well apparently it was the wrong port. While there are cruise ports near the hotel, the one we left out of was on the other side of the harbor. This was a total bummer. There was no transportation from the hotel to the port, which really was a deal breaker for me to stay here again.
I thought the hotel was nice. Like I said it was in a good location to tour old San Juan. It has a very nice rooftop pool, and you can over look the city at night which is great. The rooms were average at best. Nothing fancy, nothing impressive. Parking near the hotel is a nightmare. There are some paid decks nearby, but you seriously feel like you're in Gotham city trying to park in some of these decks.
I think our stay would have been significantly better had we had a less complicated way to get to the ship port. I ended up renting a car at the airport and using that to get around for the 1st day. The hotel actually has a hertz rental facility there at the hotel. So what I ended up having to do to get to the ship was drive to the ship, drop off all our luggage, and then go back to the hotel, drop off the car at the hertz facility there (which has terrible service that takes forever), and then literally walk the 4 miles back to the ship. So if you're crusing Royal Carribean or Celebrity, make sure to have an arrangement to get to the ship. It's too much to walk.
And if you walk into San Juan, make sure to get a churro from the street vendor. Best in the entire world, I kid you not!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple