Booked this hotel through Hotwire many months before and got a great deal - however, it may not have been worth it for the aggravation suffered.
We arrived here on a Sunday afternoon around 1:20. The line was already horrendous but the worst was still to come! There were 3 cruise ships disembarking in San Juan this day and the Sheraton OSJ was in no position to accept the incoming guests.
Pre-registration was done and we were told they "start giving out keys" at 3 PM. We moved to the restaurant Chicago Burger and had a decent lunch while we waited. Food was good - service was a little slow.
At 2:50 we got back in the dreaded line and were told rooms were not ready. OK - wait some more - at 3:30 we are back in line and once we reach the desk we are told "Nope - still no rooms". I very calmly said that was fine - I would wait at the desk til one was ready, as I was not going through that line once more!
They told me I could not wait at the desk and since I refused to move they did call security! Fine - he stood behind me but I did succeed in getting one of our 2 rooms. The very rude front desk staff did promise our luggage would be brought to the room and another room key would be delivered within 10 minutes....whatever....they just wanted me away from the desk so we all got our wishes.
The security guard did promise my husband that he would stay on it and true to his word we had our luggage and another room within 10 minutes.
Our room was on the 9th floor - near the roof top pool. It was very dark and had the appearance of being clean but I'm not totally sure. The lighting was very poor - not even a lamp on the desk. No closet - just an armoire - that's OK because we're only staying one night. Happy to see an operating safe in the room as I have learned to trust no one! The bathroom was very large but once again I wasn't sure about the cleanliness and thought I saw a bug in the corner - it turned out to be fluff but why was it there in the first place? The bed was very comfortable and we did sleep well.
Enjoyed a nice breakfast in Pallio the next morning - the staff was friendly and the portions were large.
The final insult from the front desk was that they could not - or would not? - make change so we could tip the valet.
We were told the hotel check-in nightmare happens every Sunday so beware - you could spend hours trying to get a room. Other guests told us the hotel has a practice of allowing guests to enjoy a late check out, for a fee, and this is why rooms are not ready at the prescribed check in time. Whether this is true or not I do not know. I only know we will never stay there again no matter what the price.
The location is perfect - the one true plus for this hotel. You can walk anywhere in Old San Juan and the waterfront area. Next time we will stay in the Isla Verde area and take cabs!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel is situated in the heart of historic and romantic old San Juan district. We are ideally located on the waterfront, just a few moments from the docking point of grand cruise ships. We are literally "Steps from Everything" as you can walk to over 200 restaurants, cafe's, pubs, shops & much more. There is also a secluded beach 0.7 miles / 13 minute walk across Capitol - Senate house in Old San Juan or a 1.1 mile scenic walk to pristine Escambron beach which has food kiosks etc. Discover why Old San Juan is the Caribbean's most visited city. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel And Casino
- Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel San Juan
- Sheraton San Juan
- San Juan Sheraton
- Old San Juan Sheraton