“Almost impossible to check-in - Beware!”

Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel
Ranked #20 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Rochester, New York
“Almost impossible to check-in - Beware!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2008

Booked this hotel through Hotwire many months before and got a great deal - however, it may not have been worth it for the aggravation suffered.

We arrived here on a Sunday afternoon around 1:20. The line was already horrendous but the worst was still to come! There were 3 cruise ships disembarking in San Juan this day and the Sheraton OSJ was in no position to accept the incoming guests.

Pre-registration was done and we were told they "start giving out keys" at 3 PM. We moved to the restaurant Chicago Burger and had a decent lunch while we waited. Food was good - service was a little slow.

At 2:50 we got back in the dreaded line and were told rooms were not ready. OK - wait some more - at 3:30 we are back in line and once we reach the desk we are told "Nope - still no rooms". I very calmly said that was fine - I would wait at the desk til one was ready, as I was not going through that line once more!
They told me I could not wait at the desk and since I refused to move they did call security! Fine - he stood behind me but I did succeed in getting one of our 2 rooms. The very rude front desk staff did promise our luggage would be brought to the room and another room key would be delivered within 10 minutes....whatever....they just wanted me away from the desk so we all got our wishes.

The security guard did promise my husband that he would stay on it and true to his word we had our luggage and another room within 10 minutes.

Our room was on the 9th floor - near the roof top pool. It was very dark and had the appearance of being clean but I'm not totally sure. The lighting was very poor - not even a lamp on the desk. No closet - just an armoire - that's OK because we're only staying one night. Happy to see an operating safe in the room as I have learned to trust no one! The bathroom was very large but once again I wasn't sure about the cleanliness and thought I saw a bug in the corner - it turned out to be fluff but why was it there in the first place? The bed was very comfortable and we did sleep well.

Enjoyed a nice breakfast in Pallio the next morning - the staff was friendly and the portions were large.

The final insult from the front desk was that they could not - or would not? - make change so we could tip the valet.

We were told the hotel check-in nightmare happens every Sunday so beware - you could spend hours trying to get a room. Other guests told us the hotel has a practice of allowing guests to enjoy a late check out, for a fee, and this is why rooms are not ready at the prescribed check in time. Whether this is true or not I do not know. I only know we will never stay there again no matter what the price.

The location is perfect - the one true plus for this hotel. You can walk anywhere in Old San Juan and the waterfront area. Next time we will stay in the Isla Verde area and take cabs!

• Liked — The bed.
  • Disliked — The check-in torture.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
5 Thank mollyanne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (497)
Washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2008

I never leave reviews for anything, but since I utilized trip advisor to help me find a place - I thought now would be a good time to return the favor. The Sheraton is hands down an amazing place to stay - I had a phenomenal view overlooking the bay with 2 huge balconies - the service was superb, the staff were the same - I could not have asked for a better stay in Old San Juan. This place is really in a phenomenal location - I walked to everything and pretty much saw all the sights there was to see in Old San Juan (and then some). I ate at a small cafe just behind the hotel called Cafe Berlin - it was AMAZING !!! I also ate at Cafe El Punto - again, AMAZING !!! Also, you MUST try the Pina Coloda's at Barrachina - again, AMAZING !!! What can I say, I was surprised by all the good food I ate and I have a very picky appetite !!! I hope to visit San Juan again in the future and if my travel plans have me in Old San Juan - I will DEF be choosing the Sheraton again !!!

• Liked — It was all perfect !!!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank TSTBlondie
Burkeville, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2008

We stayed at this location for one night as we were told that it is right across the street from the port for a cruise. Our cruise ship was leaving the following day at 8p. The location is excellent as it is within walking distrance of many attractions. The check in was quick & we were given a room with a view of the port and of the city. The bed was comfortable; the room was OK; however, we spent the majority of our time outside enjoying the city. The staff was friendly/attentive and informed us of many places to visit while in Old San Juan. Try Racies? restaurant (just down the street & up the stairs from the hotel) for authentic PR food; however you may have to wait for a table. The breakfast buffet was good. Check out went smoothly & the doorman secured us a taxi very quickly for our ride to the cruise port. I would definately recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Room with a view & location
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank PowerfulV6
Charlotte, NC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2008

We choose this hotel when booking a cruise through our travel agent. We flew into SanJuan a day early expecting to have a great weekend and enjoy SanJuan prior to boarding our ship. However, we had much disappointment!

CHECK IN/ROOM:
As for the hotel, check-in was very slow, our room was not ready, so went walked around the city for a bit. After a few hours, they notified us that we could check in. Upon arrival to the room, we noticed a terrible smell along with black mold growing on the ceiling and one of the walls was saturated with water, I'm guessing there was a leak somewhere. Now, to give the hotel some credit, it is VERY HUMID in SanJuan and therefore, the mold/moisture issue is not all their fault. BUT, I called the front desk to complain and was told "all of the rooms are full". So, I then requested a discount or refund as the room was seriously in bad shape. They told me that since I PREPAID for the room, I could not be discounted or refunded, Go figure, you pay as instructed and then are punished. Then, I continue to ask to speak with management and they state, "there is not management on the weekend", interesting. At this point, I was calling the 1-800-sheraton phone# found in our room to complain, when the conceierge showed up and noticed we were unhappy, he was the ONLY person that went out of his way to make our stay more enjoyable. He quickly noticed how bad the room was and called downstairs immediately and got us a new room, which was ready in 10 minutes.

As for our 2nd room, it was better, no mold/water, but still not great, it was fine for the night, but thats about all I could have handled. It was still very humid and damp in the room, once again, due to the weather and not the hotels fault, but I dont think the A/C could keep up w/the humidity.

LOCATION:
It is very convenient to the pier if choosing this hotel for a cruise. And it is a great location in Old San Juan, walkding distance to the Forts, etc.

HOTEL FOOD:
We ate at a Burger place in the hotel which was actually pretty good, would recommend it, if you are in the mood for a burger/fries, etc. We also had breakfast at the restraunt in the hotel and the food was average for a breakfast buffet, not terrible and not great, but definately edible!

CASINO:
We only used for about 15 minutes. It was a pretty nice casino, and lots of people in there, but we didn't use this facility much.

OVERALL:
Would not return to this hotel as the rooms need some updating and the staff was not helpful. Good luck.....we spoke with tons of other people that stayed in New San Juan prior to departure, and their experiences sounded much better and the location was still not very far from the ship's port! Oh yea, everything in San Juan is VERY EXPENSIVE!! So bring your $$!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Staff/Rooms
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SouthernGirl82
Weimar, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2008

Although not a resort hotel it was a great place to stay. We had stayed for one night after our cruise and everything was in walking distance for Old San Juan,e.g., shopping, restaurants, sightseeing. We are Starwoods members and they upgraded us to a suite with a balcony view of the harbor and a bedroom window view of the harbor. Great room...living room , changing room, bedroom with sitting area, and an adequate bathroom. Very clean and the bed extremely comfortable. The pool was small but quaint and comfortable with a jacuzzi and the view...some of the best in the city. Weight room just ok. Casino connected and fun. Staff was excellent. No problems with lines checking in or out. Would definitely stay again for the service and convenience of Old San Juan.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Weight Room
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GiveMeSunNorCal
New York City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2008

We stayed for a week and i could have stayed a lot longer.

Location: This was my favorite thing about this hotel. This hotel is ideally located in Old San Juan. It is the only major hotel right in Old San Juan. You can walk to everything in the area so a car isn't necessary. Beware if you do get rent a car, it is $20 per day to park. A car is not necessary unless you travel past San Juan itself. A cab should cost you only around $50 round trip with tip to go to the airport or the new San Juan area. If you are adventurous, take the bus. It is 50 cents and not all that bad on a raining day. Directly outside the hotel is where you can catch the ferry to the Bacardi Factory. the cruise ships dock right in front of the hotel so at times it can be a busy area. When the ships are in there are plenty of street vendors and local foods. Every type of restaurant is available in the area and they are all trendy with good foods and fair prices. Outlet shopping is also available within walking distance. Senor Frogs is literally outside the side door of the casino.

Hotel: Casino is great. Friendly staff and the free sandwiches and beverages are delicious. It was clean although it could use some new carpet. The rooms were very clean but very basic. All you need is in the room but if you are looking for luxury, try a hotel in New San Juan. Some rooms have a water view. The rooftop pool is small but clean, comfortable, quiet and a view to kill for. Room Service was great. Food was very good. A decent amount of channels on the tv. Staff very attentive. FYI this is a non-smoking hotel. You cannot smoke anywhere, even the casino. Puerto Rico in general is smoke free.

A couple of disappointments was there was no bar or a hotel shop, if you should need buy something such as toothpaste, toothbrush, etc. in a pinch. There is a walgreens in the area.

There is no beach so if you are going there for the beach, you have to drive.

I will definitely be going back and staying at the Sheraton.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Non-Smoking Hotel
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TravelingNYCGirl
Phoenix
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2008

We stayed at this location as it was right across the street from the port for a cruise. The location is excellent, it also is in a great area of old San Juan. Everything is within walking distance. San Juan is a great location to visit, so the hotel has value for only that reason.

The checkin was very slow. The room was a disapointment. The hotel, especially the hallways are in need of an update. The Bathrooms are dated. The bed was comfortable. I requested a deluxe room with a view, but a deluxe rate only gives you a window with a shutter that will not open. It also fogs because of the AC. You will only get a balcony with a port view if you book a suite, so their room rate descriptions were deceptive. You only get a view of the side parking lot for a deluxe rate.

The workout room was adequate, but one of the guest had to come in to ask us to turn down the TV as the walls are very thin. Most hotels will make sure that those noisy high traffic areas are not near a guest's room. It was embarassing for all. The equiement was old.

The pool was small, but had a great view.

The casino was a plus, it was bustling and had great Salsa music playing.

The breakfast was adqueate. I would suggest that youo go off property for all meals.

The staff seemed very put out at all levels.. The checkout was a nightmare. Do not try to check-out between 10A and 100P at the front desk. The express check-out on our TV was not working. When , you are in the lobby in the morning, there is traffic coming in from the ships and leaving. I made that mistake. They did not staff extra people to handle the great influx. There is no way 2 people can handle a horde of people. We also had to walk down the stair well as there was a line for the elevators on our floor.

The hotel failed in many areas. If I was going on a cruise I would defiantely book again, otherwise I would not give the hotel another chance.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple