“barely to Sheraton standard.”

Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel
Ranked #18 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed April 27, 2013

I stayed there just one night on my way to the Virgin Islands.
The hotel is barely to the Sheraton standard.
There is a tired microscopic casino and a tired small bar, where in the morning you get a tired breakfast. Everything is dusty and tired.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Armando E, Director of Sales at Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Dear guest,
We appreciate your feedback and we regret that your experience was not in accordance with our quality brand standards. We hope we have another opportunity in the near future to make it up to you.

There are newer reviews for Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel

Reviewed April 26, 2013

We stayed at the Sheraton Old SanJuan for one night after our cruise. The hotel was very clean and the staff was very helpful. Our room on the 9th floor with a view of the port was fantastic. The Sheraton stored our luggage after we got off the ship which allowed us to tour Old San Juan. they called uswat about 1:30 to let us know our room was ready. I highly recommend this hotel because of it's location and friendly staff.

2  Thank wilkie628

Thanks for sharing your experience here and the nice comments about our staff. Although we have 240 guest rooms, we strive to act and feel like a small personal boutique hotel. Look forward to having you back.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

If you're looking to explore Old San Juan, then this is the place for you. Once you hand over the car to the valet, you can walk all the way to the forts. Do take summer heat into consideration though. There's a CVS or Walgreens a block away as well.

Commuting to the rest of San Juan is ok. Only one major road out but it was never congested while I was there. All the usual caveats of driving in PR apply.

The hotel itself has casino on the first floor, a restaurant on the second (with breakfast), and a pool on the rooftop.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business

Dear RC from San Francisco,
We thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Old San Juan is a great walkable city so you can burn the calories from the many Restaurant experiences just steps away. However, the city also has on going free Trolleys that you can step in / out at any time during many of the site stops which basically covers all corners of Historic Old San Juan. Seems like you also explored around the island in car. Look forward to your return.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

Background: my husband and I are from New York City. Dine out often at really nice restaurants. I don't really care for fast food or chain restaurants. I appreciate the finer things but am not a snob. We've been to other Carribean destinations as well as American and European destinations, but no place extraordinarily exotic.

We stayed here from April 12 - 15, 2013 in room 525. The ONLY reason I didn't give the hotel a fifth star was because of the small window size in our room. Even though the view was partially picturesque and partially a parking garage, I would have liked some more natural sunlight to stream in. Other than that, the complimentary Starbucks in room coffee, Dasani water bottles (perfect for taking around town), exemplary staff and overall cleanliness of the hotel made it well worth every penny. The hotel breakfast buffet is a little pricey considering you can go outside the hotel and spend less for a much more delicious gourmet meal. However, if you're in a rush, like we were to catch the morning departure of our El Yunce rain forest tour, its an excellent option since the food was absolutely fresh, plentiful, clean and surprisingly tasty for a buffet breakfast! The only other restaurant we tried that was "inside" the hotel was the Chigago Burger one and, again, we were pleasantly surprised! The chicken sandwich we each got, with fries, onion rings, and pina coladas were quite a few notches better than average. Not 5 star gourmet eats, but really really delicious. I was expecting a Ruby Tuesday/RedRobin style food, but this place surprised me. Again, perfect for that night that you're too tired to go far for food but don't want to eat gross frozen food. And the night we went there was a live performance that was really, really great! Overall I would say I will never, ever stay in another hotel in San Juan. Ever. The only thing I would do differently is upgrade to a better room with a view/ bigger window.

PS This is NOT a resort. Its a really great base of operations. An above average place to sleep, shower, recover and move on to your next activity. The pool is small, and the beaches are not walking distance. But the purpose of our trip wasn't pool/beach lounging. It was sightseeing, eating and ease of travel, which this hotel was perfect for. If you want a beach or big pool look elsewhere.

PPS I can't say enough good things about the concierge, front desk staff or cleaning staff.

PPPS Restaurants we ate at were ALL OUTSTANDING - Arrival Day 1 Lunch Punto De Vista, Day 1 Dinner Chicago Burger, Day 2 Brunch Cuatro Sombres, Day 2 Dinner Flavors of San Juan Foodie Walking Dinner Tour, Day 3 Breakfast Hotel Buffet (not outstanding just really great), Day 3 Lunch Cafe Puerto Rico, Day 3 Dinner Toro Salao, Departure Day 4 Breakfast Cafecultura.

Room Tip: If you're not picky about a view then get whichever is available. If you are partial to views or...
2  Thank ikea365
Armando E, Director of Sales at Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Dear guest from NY.
Love your post. Really detailed and straight forward. Thanks for the compliments about our staff. It will certainly be shared. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and explored Old San Juan. For your next visit, you probably have another 100+ different restaurants to try, all walking distance. Like, Marmalade, Cafe St. Germain, Dragonfly, Raices and many more, all unique and fantastic. We look forward to having you back here soon.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

This old hotel is downtown within walking distance to many of the attractions. The restaurants are very close and you can experience the local cuisine, which is very good. The streets are very narrow in front of the hotel and all over Old San Juan. They have buses going to the rain Forest as well.

Room Tip: some of the rooms face the parking garage so be sure to ask for a room with a view!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Joy from Texas,
Thanks for sharing your feedback here. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you back here soon.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

I booked at this hotel because of the positive reviews I have read and here's my own input:
disadvantages:
1. we checked in past 1 pm, our rooms were not ready. they told us to wait for 3 more hours.
2. I asked for an ocean view, all I got was an obstructed view. I saw more roofs than the ocean....
3. the beach towels are limited to two. I asked for another 1 cuz we were traveling with my kid and they told me I will be charged extra.
4. I constantly have to ask them for more towels - they keep on giving me 2. I basically have to ask my husband and my daughter to step out of the room so that housekeeping will see there's 3 of us and therefore, I need 3 towels
5. at night, they have a number of homeless people roaming around on the streets but they cause no harm
advantages:
1. the hotel is walking distance from carnival's terminal. Check out was at 12 pm but you can leave them your luggages while you wait for your boarding time
2. the hotel is right across from another boat terminal - where you can take the boat to the other side of the island so you can visit the bacardi's plant. It is worth the tour - they give you vouchers for 2 drinks - and the tour is free!!!
3. the hotel is also walking distance from CVS. We would go there to buy our drinks and snacks and our CVS cards work!
4. the hotel is walking distance from the mall, the souvenir shops and one of the forts.
5. the location of this hotel is far better than the hotels located by the beach. the hotels by the beach are nice but the surroundings are an eyesore, there were numerous buildings that are closed/boarded up...it's not like a tourist spot.

Room Tip: (1) avoid taking taxis - take the free bus to take you to the bus terminal. Then take another bus t...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Jomama_Fosho

Dear guest from California,
Thanks for sharing your experience here and providing such a detailed list. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay although regret the late check-out and I also don't understand why it was a hassle to get extra towels. We appreciate you taking time to share this feedback. We hope you all enjoyed your Carnival cruise and that we may see you here many more times in the future.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

This hotel is convenient to downtown, and you'll be able to walk to many attractions. A rental car company is located right there too. Taxi is a short trip to the pier for cruisers. Stayed here with my dad on a southern Caribbean cruise and we really enjoyed it. The club rooms are worth the extra money. Service was great, rooms very comfortable. We had no complaints and would stay here again. In fact, I've sent many of my travel clients here for short stays.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Dear guest from Arkansas,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience and the nice referrals to our hotel. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Hope you also enjoyed your cruise and we look forward to your next visit.