“Location, location!”

Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel
Ranked #18 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed February 3, 2013

stayed here for a couple of nights pre and post cruise...perfect location for getting to walk around and see all of Old San Juan.
Decent room for the price with a little kitchenette.
The hotel restaurant upstairs had a great view of the waterfront and cruise ships coming and going even if the service was a little sketchy.

Room Tip: Waterfront view room would be really nice..we had a parking lot :(
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Armando E, Director of Sales at Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Dear guest from Canada, Thanks for sharing your feedback here. Sorry you did not get a great view. Room views are separated by categories and rate structure. Anyhow, the good thing is that being in Old San Juan you have too many temptations and attractions to explore that the room view often goes unnoticed by many of our guest.

There are newer reviews for Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel

Reviewed February 2, 2013

Last September, my wife and I visited PR and stayed at the Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel and Casino. We had a great time and it is in the Old San Juan area. it is at walking distance from restaurant, bars, clubs, parks and tourist sites.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear guest from D.C.
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience here. Indeed, similar to many areas in D.C., Old San Juan has the convenience that everything you want & more, are just steps away from the hotel.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

Just spent 3 nights in the Sheraton. A perfect location to tour Old San Juan. Hotel is clean and staff is pleasant. Pool on 9th floor is nice. We hung out there watching the cruise ships depart. Pretty cool. Our room was across from the elevator and we could hear everyone in the hallway. Also in the room next to us a group partied until 5, and I could hear them all night. Not the hotels fault. But just saying.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Dear guest from Maryland,
First of all, Congratulations on the Super Bowl win! Glad you enjoyed your visit although we are sorry you had some noisy neighbors. Next time, please let us know and our Associates will gladly address the situation to ensure your comfort.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

We had booked 2 nights with SPG cash and points at the Sheraton Old San Juan. The front desk was pleasant, and as we arrived early at 1pm, our room wasn't ready. We ventured out for a few hours and after coming back, we received our room key. As a Platinum SPG, they upgraded us to a suite facing the water and the cruiseship docks (room 432). The room was spacious with the living room area containing a table with chairs, desk, and couch, and flat screen TV and the bedroom with a separate flat screen TV. The room decor was a bit outdated, and the only complaint I had was the layout of the doors in the room, as the bathroom door kept banging/hitting the door between the bedroom and living area. The doors are not that thick, and if there are people talking outside in the hallways, you can hear it quite clear.

The location is great, we were able to walk outside and walk around Old San Juan. A lot of guests coming and going seemed to stay here before/after their cruise. At night there are a lot of police officers on the main street. There is a CVS close by and convenient if you need anything. We didn't try out the restaurants and the pools, but the casino was ok and we enjoyed playing with the penny slots. They did give us a set of $5 vouchers to match your game when you play blackjack.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay here, and would come back here again using cash and points.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear guest from PA,
Thanks for sharing your experience here. Very detailed and I don't think we had this feedback regarding the bathroom door, so it is an interesting point that we will look into. Indeed, Old San Juan is very safe since it is busy with locals and tourists 24 / 7 all year round. Thanks for being an SPG Platinum and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

I flew out to San Juan from New Jersey with one day of notice, and I booked my room at the Sheraton from the airport before flying in, which pretty much involved going on spg.com and booking the first thing I saw. In retrospect, I should have booked the Convention Centre Sheraton or the Courtyard, as that was more in the area I needed to be. With that being said though, this Sheraton is in a very tourist-friendly part of town right on the ocean with plenty of bars and restaurants within walking distance. The bar just down the street serves some especially good Puerto Rican food.

The staff were all quite friendly and enthusiastic, including in the casino where I used up my match bet coupons. Other than that, the room and decor was pretty standard Sheraton but with a more touristy feel. If I go to San Juan on a leisure trip in the near future (and I certainly want to) I would consider staying here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank PersonalEnsign

Dear guest from New Jersey!
We appreciate your feedback online and are glad you enjoyed Old San Juan. We are only 10 min. (2 miles) from the Convention Center and hope you continue to explore the Caribbean's most visited city, even during your business trips. Here, you won't have to drive anywhere at night after a long day at work. Look forward to your visit soon.

Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

As an SPG member, I chose this Sheraton over likewise priced hotels because of the service I always receive at SPG chains. Also, based on the location I knew it was central to everything I would be doing in El Viejo San Juan. I was greeted as soon as my taxi pulled up and my bags were retrieved promptly. The lobby area was clear and I went right up to the desk. I was somewhat disappointed to see the Casino as I knew this would add about 20% of fees to my bill and I was not wrong. I got my room key #708 and the bell boy took me to my room. He gave me a brief overview of the layout, offered to get me ice and left. As mentioned by previous reviewers, the hotel is located to where the cruise ships dock and therefore experiences high traffic. As a result, the rooms look worn. I had a great view of Pier 2 from my window and spent hours just gazing outside. The hotel was pleasant enough, service was great but compared to say the Sheraton at the Convention Centre, this one lacks the elegance and class of the latter. Nevertheless based solely on location, I would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank Miicha04

Thank you for your feedback and for being one of our loyal SPG members. Gov't. Tax on island is 9% for non Casino properties and 11% for Casino properties. We are glad you certainly enjoyed staying at the heart of Old San Juan. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stayed here and although I enjoyed the area in which the hotel was situated, I was not encouraged by the individuals rooms. The moment I entered the hotel room for the first time and saw the bathroom, I was disappointed to see a Sheraton look like...this. The sheets were dirty (there were spots on the flat & fitted sheets) and the bathroom tiles needed a severe upgrade. The carpet also needed to be pulled out and replaced. Great area...just needs updated rooms.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Haids L
Armando E, Director of Sales at Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Dear Customer from Vancouver,
Thanks for the feedback. We regret that your room here seemed outdated in some areas. We are currently taking steps for mayor exciting improvements to all guest rooms this year. Thanks again for your support and hope we may have the opportunity to host you again soon.