“Blue lagoon, lost lagoon”
Review of Condado Lagoon

Ranked #26 of 203 things to do in San Juan
More attraction details
Owner description: A narrow body of water that separates the Condado Beach area from the rest of San Juan.
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Condado Lagoon is a body of water formed by the island known as Old San Juan connected to Condado by three bridges. I stayed at the surprisingly good Hotel Miramar at 606 Juan Ponce de Leon Avenue in Condado. I was able to walk to Condado Lagoon, restaurants and casinos, without paying the exorbitant cost of hotels with the same or slightly higher rating. As seen from Hotel Miramar's rooftop terrace, Condado Lagoon and Beach seemed far more enticing, joggers pounding their soles into the sand. The ten-minute walk from Hotel Miramar revealed why it was sparsely populated: there's little to do but walk along the water's edge. Most visitors seem to be tourists from the expensive hotels adjacent to the water. The reason I walked to the lagoon is that from Hotel Miramar's roof, I saw dozens of young people standing on a closed bridge that appeared to have been constructed in the 1940s. One after the other, the youngsters jumped off the bridge into the lagoon. Their howls of laughter lifted my spirits and let me relive my youth, when I too often was found jumping off the pier at church camp in Tuxedo, North Carolina.

5  Thank DeanMurphy2020

Reviewed March 8, 2014

While looking for a place to swim on a recent business trip, I learned about Condado Lagoon and it's part in the Puerto Rico 70.3 triathlon. Our hotel was on Ashford Street near Condado Avenue and after a short walk I found myself at the foot of the Dos Hermanos bridge. On the left was a small park and a beach to enter the lagoon. On the right was another public beach for families to swim in the form of a small cove.

In talking with several locals (people were happy to share their knowledge), I learned the following: People regularly swim in both the lagoon and the small cove. The small cove is 4 to 10 feet deep with excellent visibility. You swim out from the beach along the left edge of the cove and then turn right and swim along the rope line that marks the outer edge of the swimming area. There are currents and small waves from the wind and tide but it is well protected from the ocean. For the large lagoon, you enter from the small beach and you have a number of options for swimming. Some people swim directly across the lagoon to a small beach and the back along the bridge. Others swim around the lagoon in a similar fashion to the race course of the 70.3. If you take the latter approach, you will see a series of buoys (plastic gallon jugs) lined up along the left edge of the lagoon and you can follow these around the lagoon (although the path was less clear at the end of the lagoon and back along the opposite edge). The water is clean, but since it's deeper the visibility is low. There are manatees living in the lagoon. While swimming in the lagoon, you will sharing space with other swimmers, paddle boats, and kayaks. There are no motorized craft in the lagoon.

On Monday of the week in San Juan, I swam in the small cove because I was by myself. It was around 12Noon and there were many groups of people using the beach and swimming. It was very easy to swim a consistent path and not be interrupted. I saw several small schools of fish as I swam, but no manatees!

On Wednesday, I swam with two other work colleagues in the lagoon. We started about 3:30PM with a few kayakers starting to get in the water and swam around the lagoon using the buoys and other siting points as guides. We swam for about 30 minutes and upon finishing noticed that several more kayaks were in the water along with paddle boats and other swimmers. During the first leg along the left side of bye he lagoon, we swam against the current. Along the return trip across the lagoon, we noticed we had to maintain our siting toward the beach as the current wanted to carry us toward the bridge. It was not so strong as to raise concern, but good to be aware. Again, no manatees!

There are few amenities around these beaches. While it was a short walk from the hotel, we brought our own water, food, towels, and any needed change of clothes. We left these in small bags on the beach while swimming, but it's at your own risk so be aware.

Overall, this was an excellent way to get some exercise and swim in the open water! The weather was sunny and slightly windy, the water temperature was warm with no need for a wetsuit, and I would do it again anytime. Suggest swimming with others if contemplating a lagoon swim or bringing along a small flotation device as it's a large body of water. Otherwise, enjoy!

16  Thank Vaskidad
Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

Located right on Ashford Ave. it is very close to a lot of hotels. We walked here from our hotel and went paddle boarding and had a great time! This was great for our trip because the ocean was very rough but the lagoon was calm enough for kayaking and paddle boarding.

2  Thank Shannon K
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Here you will find kayaking and paddle board rentals for a reasonable price. Family oriented environment, if lucky you may see manatees. Two spots for rental, one right in front of Condado Beach.
Free Movie nights on last Saturday of each month.

1  Thank Andres C
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Very inexpensive place to get a pedal boat, paddle-board or kayak, its very inexpensive.
The problem there is the parking, there are not many spots and you can not leave anything visible in the car if you want to keep the window glass intact.

3  Thank GuilleHV