“Love this hotel!!”

Ranked #24 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
San Juan, Puerto Rico
“Love this hotel!!”
Reviewed January 3, 2011

This is a great hotel! I I stayed with family and friends and would highly recommend the ocean view side. The entire hotel is modern and very elegant, the lobby is absolutely gorgeous.The staff was very attentive and friendly. The hotel's location is great with many good restaurants nearby.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,039)
Reviewed December 30, 2010

Remodelled hotel, well positioned. Offers Lagoon view or Ocean view to enjoy the Condado district and restaurants. 2 EXCELLENT restaurants and 3 cafes within the hotel. VERY comfortable queen size beds.
3 pools offered, (activities happen each day at the pool) swim up bar, water slide for children, table tennis, enjoyable eating area beside the pool and small beach.
Bus stop immediately outside hotel., old San Juan city is 10-15 minute busride - as we went at Christmas time there was 30/50minute wait for the bus.....but then the service got better after Christmas day.
Taxis offered for trips into old San Juan - always 'haggle' with the driver as they charge too much, offer to ride with other passengers for cheaper fare.

Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 28, 2010

I am writing this review while I am staying at the Conrad Condado. I have been here since December 26th and am supposed to be here until December 31. The hotel presented us to a very plush lobby and we were looking forward to our stay here BUT unfortunately it all stopped there.

1) We booked a CITY VIEW room but on arrival we checked into a room that faces the other tower of the same hotel. I immediately asked for a change and was told that my request would be handled the next day. When I called the next day, I was told the hotel is full. So I walked down at the front desk - to my surprise, the person on the front desk told me, "The view to the other tower is a CITY VIEW" and will not change the room - to that I created a bit of a noise and then a lady claiming to be the "manager" came and said she will change the room for me which she did. I thanked her and was happy....But wait a minute.

2) I moved my stuff to the new room and the wife and I went out for the day. We came back around 10p (Dec 27th) and noticed that our bathroom toilet refilled the tank every 10 minutes and made a loud noise. SInce it was 10p and we were so tired, we decided to ask for a fix the next day and tried to sleep. We were unable to sleep and got up groggy on the 28th (today) and on our way out for the day, told the front desk about the problem and requested to get it fixed before we came back. BUT to my surprise when we came back at 8p the issue persisted. I went down to the FD to inquire and the person had no clue of what was going on and told me that I should go back to the room and she will cal me for an update (this was after waiting 30 mins in line on a FD with only 1 person around 8pm). Since I did not hear back from anyone for 45 mins, I called again and was put on hold for 15mins before someone answered my call - the same woman said she will talk to the manager and put me on hold for another 15mins; at which point I disconnected waiting for so long. Around 945p the manager (so the person claimed) called me saying he will send someone....I am still waiting (its 10p) and I hope someone will show up. Regardless, this experience has left a bad taste and I will never recommend this hotel to to anyone. I don't want to change my room again (which they are now offering, after earlier claiming to be full) and am so tried with the service here...pathetic is an understatement!!!

...Oh wait a minute - the mechanic just came and "FIXED" the issue....NOTTTTT...barely 5 minutes after he left problem continues....so now I really call this a complete sucky experience!

To recap - the hotel lobby is good, rooms are good (sans the noise), food is decent (for all of that I will come here again) BUT the service is the worst I have ever experienced - understaffed front desks, long ringing calls to the FD that go an answered and a mostly no so friendly FD staff especially a gentleman whose name I did not read.

If you can live in a hotel w/o service this is a good bet else this SUCKS...and I don't demand high service standards and am an easy person to please....

My wife had read some -ve comments on Tripadvisor but since the manager had responded saying contact him and he will fix it, we decided to give it a shot. BAD CALL!!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank gautamagg
, Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, January 6, 2011
Greetings, and thank you for bringing this series of events to our attention. I would love to hear more and possibly discuss the opportunities from the negatives which you've experienced here throughout your stay. If you like, you may contact me personally. We are very sorry for your inconveniences.

Leah Rossi
Concierge
Guest Service Manager

To all Trip Advisor users: If you have any questions about our facilities, services, packages or need assistance with any special request, please do not hesitate to contact me via email or phone. My email is leah.rossi@conradhotels.com, and number is 787-721-1000 ext. 3636.

Travelers are raving about these San Juan hotels

Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed December 28, 2010

We booked a Ocean View Superior room with a Balcony. What we got was a two foot ledge with railing that looked out over the first floor roof.

When complained to front desk, explained that I had booked this room way in advance and had spend about $400.00 for the room and that I didn't feel the room I recieved was the room I booked. Well, after about 30 minutes the young trendy girl at the front desk said there was nothing the managment could do but give me a $25.00 certificate for food or bar drinks.

Now more about my room and the hotel. I'm really tired of "trendy hotels" lacking in class and service. My rooms all glass shower leaked all over the floor due to the seal not working any more. The trendy sliding barn style bathrooms doors would not stay on there tract. The open style closet and luggage area is right out side the shower door (yes, in the bathroom) so if anyone needs to get to their belongings while others are using the bathoom.... well, lets just say there is not much privacy. There is no tub. Only one sink (room for two). Only one very small chair in the room. Safe was locked unusable when we got there (had to call for service). You will have to wear a pink bracelet like at a bar when you go to check out the wallmart quality pool towels. Not exactly "superior"... and no ink in the kiosk where you print out boarding passes for airlines.

The lobby is very pleasent but I'm really getting tired of Hotels calling themselfs "Luxury" or "Resort" just because they have modern trendy decor that often doesn't work. Nice samply bottles and Marble sinks don't cut it for me...

If you are looking for a quiet place to stay I recommend El Convento, If you have children I recommend the Marriot Sellaris (nice big bathtubs with sep. showers) and yes i have stayed in both. I do not recommend the La Concha unless you are looking for ear-numbing music in the lobby and again.... trendy decor that just doesn't work (under 35 crowd)

My advice to Conrad.... time for management that cares about the experience of each hotel guest with personal detail to each complaint and each complaint met with respect.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank kissedpicasso
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed December 27, 2010

First time I walked in our room, i thought it was spectacular. Great view, very trendy. However, I was very disappointed with the bathroom door. Its a sliding door that does not really close, so forget about privacy. At times during the night, it was very noisy and the beds are uncomfortable, especially the pillows.

The parking is very expensive, so if you think you are saving by booking this hotel through orbitz or any other agency, forget about it. They also charge a "resort fee" not included in your package price. Oh, and the elevator was broken most of the time.

In another review, I read that the pool is accessible to the public through the beach. It is very true. I guess anyone could come in to the hotel and use the pool or jacuzzi.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lilly_1947
Genoa, Italy
Reviewed December 26, 2010

good service, friendly service desk, shops casino and restaurants insiede or near the hotel

Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 25, 2010

I visited San Juan for the first time from Dec 16 till Dec 21 and stayed at the Conrad Condado Plaza. My reviews covers the good, bad and ugly not only about the hotel but also the city in general.

Safety: First, let's get the ugly out of the way. I was mugged at gunpoint at Carolina Beach in the Isla Verde area on Dec 18th and lost $180, my camera and all the pictures that I took at Old San Juan the day before. It happened at a quiet part of the beach but it was 1 pm in the afternoon and there were some people nearby. I have traveled around the world and this was the first time that I have ever got robbed. It may have been an isolated incident. But I strongly advise anyone traveling to San Juan be very careful and always leave passport and valuables at the hotel. Better yet, try not to be too adventurous and stay in the hotel zone. Condado area where Conrad and most other new resorts are located seems safe and there are lots of cops on patrol every day and night. Certain parts of Isla Verde seems shady, particularly the west end of the Carolina Beach where the high rise condos are located. Stay away from that area!

Hotel: Conrad has recently gone through a multi-million dollar renovation and it really shows. The lobby is gorgeous and the room is tastefully decorated. The bed is very comfortable too. I was upgraded to an ocean view room and the view was truly spectacular! There are some downsides, however. The "glass box" concept of the shower stall may look good on paper but leakage is a big problem as mentioned in other reviews. Also, the doors are not sound proofed well and I could people talking in their rooms in the hallway. Compared to La Concha down the street, which is the "in" place in San Juan right now, Conrad is a little subdued and low key. But I quite liked Conrad as La Concha seems to be trying too hard with their super trendy lobby bar and courtyard restaurant. If you prefer loud house music and expensive drinks that come with it, La Concha is the place to go. But if you prefer a comfortable and contemporary hotel without too much noise, then pick Conrad. I do agree with some of the reviews on other two drawbacks of this hotel: a) The beach is very small and is open to the public. La Concha does have a better beach. b) The area around Conrad is a bit run down. However, everything nice is within walking distance. Overall, it is great value for the money that I paid on Travelocity.

Food: You have to try the local delicacy Mofongo which is mashed plantain stuffed with shredded beef, pork or shrimps. Yummy! Make sure you visit Ropa Vieja just 5 minutes walk from Conrad. The food is amazing and very reasonably priced! For breakfast, you can save a couple of bucks at the Hacienda Don Jose near the hotel but the food is very mediocre and has very small portions. I also ate at Latin Star and Cafe De Angel across from La Concha. Average food and slightly over priced probably because of the location. Cafe Cabri at Conrad provides okay food and convenience. The 8 Noodle Bar is expensive. It cost me $30 to get 10 pieces of sushi. I did not try Varita at the hotel but heard good reviews about the food.

Attractions: I'm a world traveler and Old San Juan is one of the most picturesque places I have ever been to. The two forts El Morro and San Christobal are both amazing. Most people only visit El Morro as it is THE landmark. But don't miss San Christobal. It is equally impressive if not more. The views by the ocean are absolutely stunning! The El Yunque Rainforest is about a 40 minutes drive away but it's definitely worth the trip. Make sure you take a hike in the forest and see the La Marina waterfall. You can book a tour to the forest at the hotel for $50 for half day and $75 for full day. Do not spend money on tours to old San Juan and/or the Bacardi factory. Not worth the $50/$75 they charge you! Simply take bus 21 or 53 (bus stop right outside the hotel) to old San Juan (75 cents one trip) and take the ferry to Bacardi (another 50 cents). And it's way more interesting to see the city that way. You get two free drinks at Bacardi!

These are just some of the highlights of my trip. I got mugged for the first time in my life. But the scenery, history, culture and food kind of make up for it. If you have any specific questions about the hotel or San Juan in general, please feel free to shoot me an email. Thanks!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
#6 of 13 in Isla Verde
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,141 reviews
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort

Been to The Condado Plaza Hilton? Share your experiences!