“Nice hotel”

The Condado Plaza Hilton
Ranked #24 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed September 4, 2010

I found the hotel very nice, no issues at all, nice pools, beach area, staff very polite and pleasant, room ready shortly after we arrived close to check in time. We had a Family Jr Suite which served well when traveling with teens.
A couple of minor issues (phone didn't work in room) but nothing worth complaining about.
All in all it was a nice hotel and would probably go back.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed August 25, 2010

The hotel has many positives, but for us, the biggest downside was the atmosphere. Generally, if you stay in San Juan, you'll be in the nightlife/club scene, not the beach scene, especially if you stay in the Condado area. We wanted to a hotel on mainland Puerto Rico, but we wanted the beach scene. We later learned that we should've stayed at Gran Melia in Rio Grande or El Conquistador in Fajardo for a tranquil, beach setting. But I do recommend staying your first night at Conrad Condado Plaza to visit Old San Juan (for restaurants, shopping, and the forts) for your first day, then head onto Gran Melia or El Conquistador. Good things Conrad Condado Plaza has: great views (waves crashing against rocks, ask for 3rd floor ocean view), very comfortable beds, clean rooms, large balconies, large bathrooms, and nice/helpful staff. You can easily rent a car to drive from San Juan to Rio Grande or Fajardo, both Enterprise and Avis are within walking distance from the Conrad, and the drive to those cities from San Juan is only about an hour.

2  Thank justbeachy85
Management response:Responded September 2, 2010

Thank you for your feedback! I am sorry that you felt that the hotel was not suitable for what you had in mind for your vacation. Your opinion is very helpful however, and we appreciate your recommending the hotel for its positives that you experienced while you were here. Its very nice to see that you enjoyed what we had to offer. Hope to see you again!

Take Care,

Leah Rossi
Concierge
Guest Services Manager

To all Trip Advisor users: If you have any questions about our facilities, services, packages or need assistance with any special request, please do not hesitate to contact me via email or phone. My email is leah.rossi@conradhotels.com, and number is 787-721-1000 ext. 3636.

Reviewed August 24, 2010

I am glad i got this for a steal! This hotel had a dual personality. I booked a city view but was upgraded to a lagoon view w/o a problem! The hotel was ok . The staff was wonderful except the concierge desk but i'll get to that later. I never had a problem with the elevator. I was there when there was a teacher convention going on and waited once. So i don't agree with the other reviews. My room was right by the elevator and the ice machine, and i will say that i didnt hear much of any noise. I too had the water problem. I put a towel half inside and outside the shower and the stoped the leaks. The grounds are beautiful. the pools and the hammock area, The water beating against the rocks!. The gym had very nice machines. I didn have to wait for a machine. I used the elipical rider and there were only 2 of these machines, so that is saying something. The food was subpar. I dont care if you are at a hotel and this is to be expected, NOT! I am not sure what hotel other people stayed in previously but i have stayed at the very nice and very high class places and it is the trend that these hotels have dual hotels to accomodate to the the different patrons so it is very common now to have to seperate hotels that connect. and both hotels had acces to one of the THREE pools there. I knew going about the "resort fee", fine but i thught this fee covered such things as the towels, fitness rooms and internet access. Imagin my suprise that they charge u by the 1/4 hr for access of the computers. Yes you will pay an average of $10-15 for trips in the cabs, but to be honest on how people drove i was happy to fork over the cash. The drivers were informative and very nice.The DJ at the lounge was excellent. I wish this hotel was furher down the strip in the mpre trendy part. Yes it is near an abandon building, but there was a lot of construction going on in this area. But while i was there i saw city workers and business owners cleaning up every morning!
I seen police everywhere and security was eerywhere on the hotel lunge including by the entrance to the public beach.
I didnt go to the public beach to be honest. Our second day there we went to Playa Flamenco beach , and to tell u the truth once u see this beach how could u go to any other there. The pool was 24hrs and we spent our nights there. I just wish it was more lively there. We went to another hotel down the street to thier lounge, however hands down our hotel had the better music. but we wanted to be around more people.

If you are looking for a quiet time this is for you. or If u have a lot of things that you will be doing and u want t come back and relax this is for you.

Now on my way checking out. i needed some of Puerto Rico's finest Alcohol shipped, the one lady at the desk was rude. I beleive that this may have been the manager. the Doorman and her assistant was more helpful to our plight than she.

My suggestion Brand your lunge area, get the people in. Do something about the showers and try to have more activities on the premises. Yes u have a tennis court, but u have to pay for that ( what does this resort fee really cover) By the way go to the Haceinda for breakfast , for the views and thier breakfast is very decent. All in all i might stay again if the deal was right. would rent a car ONLY to get to the night life. part of the harm was walking around Old San juan. If u are in a car You will miss exactly what yu came there for. All in all Puerto Ricans came off to be very proud people! i enjoyed myself trememdously

Reviewed August 24, 2010

When we arrived at the Conrad at around 3:30 our room was still not ready. Although check-in is at 4, they really should have had the rooms ready alil earlier. They said they would call us when it was ready but never did. We came back a few hours later and it was finally done. However, we were able to leave our bags with the concerige so that we could go out and explore the town or use the pool.

The hotel is very modern and beautiful inside and out. The rooms are really nice and roomy and the beds super comfortable. There is an in room safe which was great. The pool areas were amazing and really pretty. There is a big main pool that has a volleyball net, swim up bar, and a waterslide. Then there is a salt water pool and a hot tub. On the other side of the hotel there is yet another pool and hot tub. The only problem with the hot tubs was that they were not very hot, just luke warm. The outside property is goregous, with great views and lots of palm trees.

Their beach area is man made. After reading reviews i was skeptical about the beach but it turned out not to be so bad. There is plenty of sand area and the water is very clean and clear. There is also a ton of fish, which makes it a great snorkel spot!

The drinks and food in the hotel are overpriced, but I guess thats normal. The casino was small but had every type of game you did. There are resturants and bars in walking distance of the hotel, however the places don't get too busy. Most of the nightlife and good eaterys are found in old san juan. You will need a cab to old san juan, which depending on your driver may cost 10 bucks or so. There are buses for 75 cents but they only come every 45 mins and there is no schedule, so you could be waiting forever.

Overall, I am very glad I picked the Conrad and I would certiantly recommend it!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank trixiestar84
Reviewed August 23, 2010

This hotel is located on the far West side of Condado. It is located on Ashford street which is happening at night with restaurants and bars along the strip but this hotel is about a 10 minute walk from all of the hustle and bustle.

Our room was nice, bathroom is small. We had a little fridge and safe in our room as well as a balcony that faces the lagoon. I mentioned to the front desk that I had heard they had rooms that faced the lagoon and ocean and she put is in a lagoon facing for no extra charge. There are several abandoned building near the hotel but I never felt like the area was not safe.

The positive is that this hotel is closer to Old San Juan, about a 5 minute cab/bus ride. The bus stop is right in front of hotel (either catch the #53 or #21 bus to Old San Juan). It is only .75 cents and you must have exact change. Really user friendly and once you get to Old San Juan there is a free Green trolley that will take you around town and you can hop on and off.

The doormen/front desk were super helpful, they went over the map with us and gave us recommendations. Also there is a conceirge desk to the right, after you enter hotel. They provided us with a map of Old San Juan.

This hotel is right next door to a Starbucks and Enterprise Rent a Car. There are several restaurants within the hotel and also a Casino that had live music Fri - Sun (only days we stayed here). This hotel is located on beach but there really isn't access to ocean. There is a sand beach but that is facing the lagoon. The ocean side is visable but it is all rock and not accessable. There are 3 pools one is salt water. The salt water was great! They also have 2 hot tubs although neither were really hot.

The hotel has 2 towers connected by an indoor overpass/tunnel. We stayed in tower 2 which was kind of a pain but not too bad. Elevators do take a while but each tower has it's own pool/hot tub area, although Tower 1 has the bigger pools and swim up bar. The pool and fitness center are open 24 hours.

The drinks are super expensive. I paid $12.84 for one drink at the pool (not including tip) and it really didn't taste like it had much alcohol. I also had a drink inside at the bar and paid $11 for a mojito.

As far as places to eat, everything I am mentioning here is on Ashford street (same as hotel) just walk out of hotel and turn left, heading towards Starbucks. I highly recommend Ropa Vieja for authentic Puerto Rican and Cuban cuisine. It is just down the street, less than 5 minute walk. There is also a Chili's within walking distance and a Subway that is open 24 hours. Walgreens is about a 10 minute walk (when the road forks stay on your left and you will see it on your right) and so is Wendy's.

We also took a cab ride to eat at Jam Rum Bar. It is an upscale restaurant, very modern design. It is on the pricier side but not too bad, our total for 3 drinks, 1 beer, 2 apps, 2 entrees with tip was $130. I ordered Tuna and it wasn't the greatest, husband ordered the churasco and it was awesome. Definitely worth going to have a drink at the bar. They have great drinks. I ordered the Guava Margarita, Coco Juice of some sort and husband had the Kiwi something or other. All great. Waiter informed us that from now till September EVERY MONDAY IS HALF OFF MENU, NOT INCLUDING BOTTLES OF WINE but I think drinks were included.

1  Thank Liz0595
Reviewed August 22, 2010

The Conrad was average especially for being a resort and was ranked as top 10 in San Juan. The modern vibe was a bonus along with the in-house restaurant selection and Starbucks in the hotel. My favorite part of the hotel was the hammocks outside overlooking the water, but don't think if you walk down with a cocktail it will be re-filled promptly or at all. Even the "fine dining" place in the hotel, the service was under par. Puerto Rico as a whole is very dirty, overpriced and doesn't know what service is... but expect a tip for everything. If your looking for a US get-a-way, I would highly recommend Hawaii or Florida over PR any day! The surroundings are far more cleaner and hospitality and service are acknowledged.

Management response:Responded August 23, 2010

Thank you for sharing your thoughts of the Conrad San Juan Condado Plaza. Your feedback is very important to us, especially when there is room for improvement. I am glad to see that you enjoyed the facility outside, but regret that you feel as if you could not rely on adequate service from the hotel and its restaurants. Comments like yours are very helpful and I will share this information with the restaurant managers. Should you decide to give Puerto Rico another visit, please fee free to contact me directly.

Leah Rossi
Concierge
Guest Services Manager

Reviewed August 20, 2010

The Conrad hotel was a nightmare from the beginning. The hotel is located in the beautiful "Condado" which is actually a slum. I parked my car in their garage ($15 a day) and then brought my bags inside for check-in. I get to the front desk to get my room key and head off to my room. I booked an Ocean Vista room and they gave me a City View room. I go back downstairs and tell the young man at the desk I was given the wrong room. I found the confirmation email proving i booked for an Ocean Vista room and then they agreed to give me an Ocean Vista room, but it was going to take at least 2 hours because they needed to clean the room. A nice bell-hop came by and asked to help us with our bags. He took our bags and gave us a ticket for our bags once our room is clean. We decided to take a stroll down the street because we had 2 hours to kill while we waited for our room to be clean. The building adjacent to the Conrad is an empty 6 story building with broken windows and doors with graffiti all over it. You will come to find out that Puerto Ricans put graffiti on every building they can find. We walked further down the street just to find more empty buldings with graffiti on them with a restaurant here and there, but pretty much nothing is in the Condado. We walk back to the Conrad after almost 2 hours had expired and our room was still not ready. Our room was not ready until 3 and 1/2 hours later. We finally got our Ocean Vista room with the excellent view of the Atlantic Ocean. When we were in our room we could hear everything that was happening in our neighbor's room from him using the bathroom to his entire conversation on his cell phone. It was like he was in our room! There is absolutely no privacy in your own room unless you whisper. Also, the hotel puts a $50/day charge on your credit card for "incidentals", which they don't tell you about at check-in. The hold is supposed to be released 24-48 hours after checkout, and I have been home for 72 hours now and there is still a hold on my credit card. My best advice is not to go to the Conrad, but if you decide to go: print your confirmation of what you have reserved and purchased, be prepared to speak to staff that doesn't comprehend English very well, and don't leave your bag with the bell-hop because your bags are left unattended for periods of time in the lobby and their is tons of theft in San Juan. You are much better off staying in Isla Verde which is located right behind the airport. It's cleaner, safer, has a beach unlike the condado.

4  Thank phillipj727
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde

Been to The Condado Plaza Hilton? Share your experiences!