“A wonderful stay except for a few minor issues”

The Condado Plaza Hilton
Ranked #24 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Clifton, New Jersey
“A wonderful stay except for a few minor issues”
Reviewed August 24, 2010

When we arrived at the Conrad at around 3:30 our room was still not ready. Although check-in is at 4, they really should have had the rooms ready alil earlier. They said they would call us when it was ready but never did. We came back a few hours later and it was finally done. However, we were able to leave our bags with the concerige so that we could go out and explore the town or use the pool.

The hotel is very modern and beautiful inside and out. The rooms are really nice and roomy and the beds super comfortable. There is an in room safe which was great. The pool areas were amazing and really pretty. There is a big main pool that has a volleyball net, swim up bar, and a waterslide. Then there is a salt water pool and a hot tub. On the other side of the hotel there is yet another pool and hot tub. The only problem with the hot tubs was that they were not very hot, just luke warm. The outside property is goregous, with great views and lots of palm trees.

Their beach area is man made. After reading reviews i was skeptical about the beach but it turned out not to be so bad. There is plenty of sand area and the water is very clean and clear. There is also a ton of fish, which makes it a great snorkel spot!

The drinks and food in the hotel are overpriced, but I guess thats normal. The casino was small but had every type of game you did. There are resturants and bars in walking distance of the hotel, however the places don't get too busy. Most of the nightlife and good eaterys are found in old san juan. You will need a cab to old san juan, which depending on your driver may cost 10 bucks or so. There are buses for 75 cents but they only come every 45 mins and there is no schedule, so you could be waiting forever.

Overall, I am very glad I picked the Conrad and I would certiantly recommend it!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank trixiestar84

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,058)
Aurora, Illinois
Reviewed August 23, 2010

This hotel is located on the far West side of Condado. It is located on Ashford street which is happening at night with restaurants and bars along the strip but this hotel is about a 10 minute walk from all of the hustle and bustle.

Our room was nice, bathroom is small. We had a little fridge and safe in our room as well as a balcony that faces the lagoon. I mentioned to the front desk that I had heard they had rooms that faced the lagoon and ocean and she put is in a lagoon facing for no extra charge. There are several abandoned building near the hotel but I never felt like the area was not safe.

The positive is that this hotel is closer to Old San Juan, about a 5 minute cab/bus ride. The bus stop is right in front of hotel (either catch the #53 or #21 bus to Old San Juan). It is only .75 cents and you must have exact change. Really user friendly and once you get to Old San Juan there is a free Green trolley that will take you around town and you can hop on and off.

The doormen/front desk were super helpful, they went over the map with us and gave us recommendations. Also there is a conceirge desk to the right, after you enter hotel. They provided us with a map of Old San Juan.

This hotel is right next door to a Starbucks and Enterprise Rent a Car. There are several restaurants within the hotel and also a Casino that had live music Fri - Sun (only days we stayed here). This hotel is located on beach but there really isn't access to ocean. There is a sand beach but that is facing the lagoon. The ocean side is visable but it is all rock and not accessable. There are 3 pools one is salt water. The salt water was great! They also have 2 hot tubs although neither were really hot.

The hotel has 2 towers connected by an indoor overpass/tunnel. We stayed in tower 2 which was kind of a pain but not too bad. Elevators do take a while but each tower has it's own pool/hot tub area, although Tower 1 has the bigger pools and swim up bar. The pool and fitness center are open 24 hours.

The drinks are super expensive. I paid $12.84 for one drink at the pool (not including tip) and it really didn't taste like it had much alcohol. I also had a drink inside at the bar and paid $11 for a mojito.

As far as places to eat, everything I am mentioning here is on Ashford street (same as hotel) just walk out of hotel and turn left, heading towards Starbucks. I highly recommend Ropa Vieja for authentic Puerto Rican and Cuban cuisine. It is just down the street, less than 5 minute walk. There is also a Chili's within walking distance and a Subway that is open 24 hours. Walgreens is about a 10 minute walk (when the road forks stay on your left and you will see it on your right) and so is Wendy's.

We also took a cab ride to eat at Jam Rum Bar. It is an upscale restaurant, very modern design. It is on the pricier side but not too bad, our total for 3 drinks, 1 beer, 2 apps, 2 entrees with tip was $130. I ordered Tuna and it wasn't the greatest, husband ordered the churasco and it was awesome. Definitely worth going to have a drink at the bar. They have great drinks. I ordered the Guava Margarita, Coco Juice of some sort and husband had the Kiwi something or other. All great. Waiter informed us that from now till September EVERY MONDAY IS HALF OFF MENU, NOT INCLUDING BOTTLES OF WINE but I think drinks were included.

1 Thank Liz0595
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed August 22, 2010

The Conrad was average especially for being a resort and was ranked as top 10 in San Juan. The modern vibe was a bonus along with the in-house restaurant selection and Starbucks in the hotel. My favorite part of the hotel was the hammocks outside overlooking the water, but don't think if you walk down with a cocktail it will be re-filled promptly or at all. Even the "fine dining" place in the hotel, the service was under par. Puerto Rico as a whole is very dirty, overpriced and doesn't know what service is... but expect a tip for everything. If your looking for a US get-a-way, I would highly recommend Hawaii or Florida over PR any day! The surroundings are far more cleaner and hospitality and service are acknowledged.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
, Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, August 23, 2010
Thank you for sharing your thoughts of the Conrad San Juan Condado Plaza. Your feedback is very important to us, especially when there is room for improvement. I am glad to see that you enjoyed the facility outside, but regret that you feel as if you could not rely on adequate service from the hotel and its restaurants. Comments like yours are very helpful and I will share this information with the restaurant managers. Should you decide to give Puerto Rico another visit, please fee free to contact me directly.

Leah Rossi
Concierge
Guest Services Manager

To all Trip Advisor users: If you have any questions about our facilities, services, packages or need assistance with any special request, please do not hesitate to contact me via email or phone. My email is leah.rossi@conradhotels.com, and number is 787-721-1000 ext. 3636.
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed August 20, 2010

The Conrad hotel was a nightmare from the beginning. The hotel is located in the beautiful "Condado" which is actually a slum. I parked my car in their garage ($15 a day) and then brought my bags inside for check-in. I get to the front desk to get my room key and head off to my room. I booked an Ocean Vista room and they gave me a City View room. I go back downstairs and tell the young man at the desk I was given the wrong room. I found the confirmation email proving i booked for an Ocean Vista room and then they agreed to give me an Ocean Vista room, but it was going to take at least 2 hours because they needed to clean the room. A nice bell-hop came by and asked to help us with our bags. He took our bags and gave us a ticket for our bags once our room is clean. We decided to take a stroll down the street because we had 2 hours to kill while we waited for our room to be clean. The building adjacent to the Conrad is an empty 6 story building with broken windows and doors with graffiti all over it. You will come to find out that Puerto Ricans put graffiti on every building they can find. We walked further down the street just to find more empty buldings with graffiti on them with a restaurant here and there, but pretty much nothing is in the Condado. We walk back to the Conrad after almost 2 hours had expired and our room was still not ready. Our room was not ready until 3 and 1/2 hours later. We finally got our Ocean Vista room with the excellent view of the Atlantic Ocean. When we were in our room we could hear everything that was happening in our neighbor's room from him using the bathroom to his entire conversation on his cell phone. It was like he was in our room! There is absolutely no privacy in your own room unless you whisper. Also, the hotel puts a $50/day charge on your credit card for "incidentals", which they don't tell you about at check-in. The hold is supposed to be released 24-48 hours after checkout, and I have been home for 72 hours now and there is still a hold on my credit card. My best advice is not to go to the Conrad, but if you decide to go: print your confirmation of what you have reserved and purchased, be prepared to speak to staff that doesn't comprehend English very well, and don't leave your bag with the bell-hop because your bags are left unattended for periods of time in the lobby and their is tons of theft in San Juan. You are much better off staying in Isla Verde which is located right behind the airport. It's cleaner, safer, has a beach unlike the condado.

4 Thank phillipj727
tamaqua, pa
Reviewed August 19, 2010

My husband and I were very disappointed in our stay at the Conrad. We were excited to get away together after having our first child earlier this year...it was kind of a bust. We were expecting luxury accommodations. It'd be a mediocre hotel stay at best. Just know what you're getting into. I've never written a review of a hotel before because I couldn't be bothered...This is an indication of how little we liked the place.

What we hated:
First of all, the hotel really is two hotels joined by a walkway tube, which is very inconvenient if you are in the building further from the beach (which we were). So when we were on the beach, we had to shlepp through two hotels before getting to our room.

Also, there is only one hotel gym for the two buildings. This means possible wait time to use equipment.

The elevators are barely functioning. It stopped at every floor, regardless of guests. So we attempted to use the stairs, but that didn't work because the doors to get into each floor (except 1) were locked.

Terrible showers...sprayed all over the bathroom floor. The pressure seems that meant for cleaning elephants. We ended up not having enough towels because we had to use them to sop up the water laying on the floor.

The beach is very, very tiny and located right next to a traffic-filled bridge...not very relaxing. The constant passing of low-flying airplanes also too away from the experience.

There is an oddly placed sushi restaurant adjacent to slots...not within it's own walls. So if you want to enjoy sushi, you have to hear all the slot machine casino noises.

There is an additional 14% room charge...for poorly thought out facilities and gaudy art?

It wasn't all terrible. There was a really great restaurant called Varita.

I don't think we got bed bugs.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank greybeard040
NEW YORK
Reviewed August 18, 2010

I'll make this brief as I normally would never use a service like this to report issues, and in fact never have.

The service I received at this Hotel was far from luxury, my stay here for clients as well as myself awful.
Accommodations that were set up in advance were not taken care of even though paid for.

Service at the front desk is awful and accompanied by a UN courteous and rude attitude.

Service at the bar both in the lobby and the pool is awful; Thank You’s and Smiling are non existent.

The communication between departments and the staff is awful; one hand does not know what the other is doing.

I was astounded by the lack of manners the staff had when speaking with clients, one front desk manager I will quote as saying "it's just too busy for us to keep up" being in the luxury business myself Mr. Bustamante, your problems should NOT be my problems.

Phones rang and rang… I counted at one point and laughed at amazement because it was just ridiculous.

Mr. Bustamante the hotel's GM is impossible to get a hold of and his staff does not even know who he is for that matter.

I was embarrassed and actually my last night there I checked out and stayed at the Hilton because I was just completely over the entire stay.

Associating this Hotel with anything that has to do with Service is an absurd and actually insulting to a paying client like myself.

Truthfully I could have stayed at a holiday in and received better service. Un-professionalism and poorly trained associate are something I can not tolerate I have been in plenty of 100% occupied hotels and never saw what I saw. My hunch is that I am not the only client with this issue talking to other in the hotel I can for a fact tell you I wasn’t

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank PJDANDREA
Schwechat, Austria
Reviewed August 16, 2010

Stayed at this property on my way to Vieques last week. Cool property, with great decor and a very voyeuristic shower area with glass on 3 sides! Good lobby bar downstairs, right on the water across the waterway from the Caribe Hilton and a 10-minute cab ride to SIG (Isla Grande Airport, San Juan...main gateway to Vieques). Cool large and well run Casino, good 20-hour sushi joint on the 2nd floor, and I found the place very enjoyable for a quick 15-hour stay. Didn't try the breakfast or the pool, but there seems to be a lively outdoor area where drinks were consumed outside overlooking the Caribbean...cool. Would totally rather stay there than the El San Juan W=A and the El Conquistador W=A, anyday!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort
Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to The Condado Plaza Hilton? Share your experiences!