ROOM: We got much more than we expected. We did not book an Ocean View room but got upgraded on check in. (Tip: Sweet talk goes a long way when checking in.) This made our stay here fantastic but I think we would have been very disappointed if we did not get ocean view. The hotel has 2 separate towers and they have been under a long remodeling period. One tower is right on the ocean and the rooms are completely remodeled. This is where we stayed. I stay in a lot of hotel rooms and this room was great. Very private balcony over the ocean, great beds, great AC, modern bathroom with romantic shower, & large flat screen TV. CAUTION: The problem with this tower is if you don't get ocean view and are on the other side you are looking at the 7 day per week construction of the other tower. The tower under construction is directly across the street and that is why I say we would have been very disappointed if we did not get Ocean View. Even when the other tower is 100% done I would not want to look at other peoples balcony's for the money charged at this hotel. Now the other side of that tower over looks the bay with the city behind it. That would be my second choice. It also looked like the top floors of the construction tower were done so staying there might have some unwanted noise.
HOTEL STAFF: Before going to PR many others told us most wait staff was not helpful or friendly. We found the complete opposite to be true. All the hotel staff were great and we met friendly staff where ever we went in the hotel.
HOTEL POOL: The pool area was great with both salt water and fresh water pools but the 105 degree hot tub was too much for most people. Many complained and each time and staff said they were going to look into it but 4 days later the hot tub was still 105. Drinks in the hotel and by the pool are very, very expensive. Many people had sticker shock after the first round. Every drink has 15% added on also. Next door to the hotel is a small store that sells beer, wine, liquor and a little of everything else at good prices. Even the bartender told us to stock up next door and use plastic cups by the pool. After the first day we never bought a drink in the hotel.
HOTEL FOOD: Again very, very expensive but many other places are in the area. A couple of doors down from the hotel is a great Mexican restaurant that offers breakfast and lunch specials that are very cheap and great food. Also there is a 24 hour Subway close by for when you come back to the hotel at 2am and you are starving. Also MIRO is a few blocks from the hotel and food is 5 star seafood. Do not miss MIRO while staying here.
OTHER: Cabs run 24 hours per day and the prices are all pre-set to most places. Old San Juan is about 5 miles away and we loved it. Very safe after you get to know it. My wife shopped all day by herself while I worked. Oh and local police are everywhere all the time. Every couple of blocks are more police. Always felt safe. Old San Juan has some great places to eat. Some expensive and some not. Don't expect the speed of service you would in a large US city but much more friendly. Bathrooms are not very good in most places by not a problem for my wife and I. We love the local culture. Dinning in OSJ is not like dining in Manhattan, NY. Don't expect it and you won't complain. If you expect it, don't go. Take your time and enjoy the night.
Hotel had large casino but we did not go into it. We don't gamble.
Next to the hotel is Charlie's Car rental. Only one who had cars available and the hotel will arrange for you. Very good cars at cheap rates and you can drop off by the airport if you want. Rent a car for the day and head out to the rain forest. PR has a bad rush hour in the morning and also evening so head out early if it's a weekday.
There is no real beach by this hotel. It is very small and crowded on the weekend but if you walk a couple of blocks down there is a longer beach by the other hotels. There are also 2 other large beaches within a cab ride. Isle Verde beach was our favorite close to the airport.
All in all a very great experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Condado Plaza Hilton, the only hotel overlooking both the Atlantic Ocean and Condado Lagoon, is an enchanting alternative to typical San Juan hotel. Our unique location boasts cool ocean breezes, breathtaking sunsets, and a shimmering, protected beach. Whether you're traveling for work or play, this sparkling hotel offers it all, superb dining options including the award-winning Pikayo restaurant, elegant event venues, three glistening pools, water slide, waterports, 24-hour fitness center, tennis, poolside massage and bustling nightlife. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hilton Hotels Direct, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, Cheap Tickets and TripOnline SA so you can book your The Condado Plaza Hilton reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Conrad San Juan Condado Plaza Hotel San Juan
- San Juan Conrad
- Condado Plaza Hotel San Juan
- Hotel Resort Wyndham