“Better every trip”

The Condado Plaza Hilton
Ranked #23 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed October 23, 2006

Just back from our trip to the Condado plaza. This was our third trip this year. The hotel has made improvements in all phases of the operation.The oceanvista rooms are very nicely decorated, the staff are very helpfull, and the casino is the best in San Juan. Keep up the good work and thanks for a wonderfull stay. We will return soon.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Solution_Condado, Facilitator and Customer Solutions Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2006

We would like to thank you for your continued visits to the hotel. All of the hotel's staff has been working hard to improve our product and it is extremely rewarding to know that you had such a great stay. Our mision is to make every stay as pleasant as yours. I promise that your next visit will be even better as we are constantly improving. Please contact me before your next stay. Thank you once again. Best Regards, Henry E. Neumann email: Hneumann@luxuryresorts.com

There are newer reviews for The Condado Plaza Hilton

Reviewed October 8, 2006

We checked in to the Condado Plaza for an extended weekend last January. This property was probably, at one time, a great place. Unfortunately the upkeep and customer service were both lacking.

It is nice to see, with response to recent reviews, that these issues are being addressed. The location for this hotel is perfect for day and night fun. The "beach" at the hotel is hardly a beach... but only a 10 minute walk down the street is a nice beach to lay out and swim at.

Our first room was ocean front on a high floor with a great view. Unfortunately (after a night of being out dancing and drinking) we were woke up bright and early to hammering and construction. It was impossible to tell where it was coming from. After about a half hour of this noise we called the front desk. They said they would look into it... 15 minutes later there was no response. A second call still received no response to the problem. Finally after walking down to the front desk we were offered a non ocean front room to spend the rest of the morning in. Since (upon asking) we were told that this construction would go on every morning, we told them a new ocean front room would be needed. The new room was supposed to be ready at one at which point we were told 2... finally around 4:00 after still not being ready and losing our patience with the problem, a room became available.

It is wonderful that they are doing (much needed) renovations to the property. It was felt that they knew the construction would be going on and gave us the room hoping we would be up bright and early and not notice... Since this was a chance they took (at our expense) they should have been more responsive instead of giving us the feeling they were brushing us off. Hopefully the new customer service training will improve this.

With all that said, I would consider staying here again after construction is complete. The Condado Plaza really does have the potential of being a great place (which I am sure it was at one time).

• Stayed: January 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank scottandrew75
Solution_Condado, Facilitator and Customer Solutions Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2006

Has you have already noticed, we are already working deligently on the areas which needed improvements. We have new training programs, and we are also upgrading the enitre facility through physical renovations. Besides this, the hotel is paying a closer look at the customer reviews of the hotel in order be constantly improving. If you decide to return, please contact me. Regards, Henry E. Neumann

Reviewed October 1, 2006

My wife, nine year old daughter, seven year old son and I just spent four nights at the Candado plaza (we are from NJ). The room was cheap and the pool was fantastic. We are pretty seasoned island travelors and we did have a great time. However we are on the adventerous side and did our research beforehand and knew what we were getting into. The owners are fighting to maintain and renovate a giant Resort and they are losing the fight. This place needs big corporate Hotel money to survive. You could count on something breaking down. For us it was the main pool (which was a big bummer) but they fixed it and I tracked the fix from talking directly to the pool repair company (hotel/no straight answer). They needed a pump and of course the hotel didn't have an extra one or backup system. The main pool is THE attraction and if it ain't working just pack the kids up and move on. One of two elevators was off and on the whole stay and that made for long waits. I'm just warning the people who think they are staying at the El San Juan or something like Mandalay Bay. It ain't that at all. However there are great restaurants down the street that are stand alone operations with competive pricing and great quality. You can also just walk to Old San Juan and get some culture. The Beach at the Condado is a public thing on a questionable lagoon. But hey! Hundred bucks a night, great pool w/ a big slide that kept the kids going all day long. Clean rooms, great views, safe area, museums, forts, swim up bar, in room frig, bodega 100 feet away. Did I mention the pool? Hurry and get there before it falls in to the Ocean. We had fun and it was a very friendly place. Flip flops and your favorite button downs will do. You will find mostly locals at the dining establishments down the streets which is encouraging and they dress very well, however you might feel ridiculous with the official Bermuda uniform on if you know what I mean. Bottomline: Worth my money and vacation time.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family
3  Thank stevilboy
Solution_Condado, Facilitator and Customer Solutions Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2006

I am glad to learn that the Hotel was worth your money and vacation time. The Luxury Reosrts Corporation has invested 63 million dollars in the property, which are being used to upgrade the enitre facility. I am sure you must have seen the pictures of our new rooms all over the facility, some of which are already open to the public. The month of September is considered the low season for the hotels on the island. Therefore, the hotel used that time to do some maintance work on the pools. The hotel has three pools, and one at a time pools were closed for one to two days in order for maintance work to be completed. We always made sure that we had at least two pools opened to the public. Last Saturday, we did have a mechanical problem with one of elevators which was corrected. We try to avoid these mechanical breakdowns through our maintance work, but sometimes they do occur. I encourage you to return to the property, so that you can witness the progress yourself. If you need assistance or further want to discuss your stay, please do not hesistate to contact me. Regards, Henry E. Neumann

Reviewed September 21, 2006

The room and hotel was very nice, when I first walked in the room I loved the ocean view with balcony, although there was a butter knife and fork on one of the beds. Front desk personnel had the "I don't care will no t help you attitude" it was very dissapointing and fustrating disputing erroneous room charge that took half and hour to resolve upon check out finally left the hotel in tears. The pool was mostly empty no water in it for the most part of the 4 days I stayed there. And the only day there was water in the pool the pool personnel was not friendly at all they did not offer any towels while they were standing at the towel booth just staring at you, It felt very unwelcoming went to the room to get towels. The parking is too expensive and seems to be overcrowded with cars from people who don't even stay at the hotel just there fot the casino. For the price you pay to stay at the hotel and the bad customer service parking should be free. Loved the room and hotel itself , . Coffee maker did not work in room took a day or 2 to replace after several calls. Maids were nice. Would stay there again if they had friendlier competent people working there, staff that deal with concerns/complaints seemed disorganized or not properly trained. Had a hold on my credit card for days after checking out, which was told was to come off within hours, I made reservation with credit card paid cash upon check out.

• Stayed: September 2004, traveled with family
3  Thank M2685
Solution_Condado, Facilitator and Customer Solutions Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2006

I am sorry that the service in the hotel did not meet your expectations. The entire staff of the Hotel is currently attending a new customer service training program. This will definitely improve our customer service. These training programs will also set new, higher standards for the cleaning of the rooms. One of our three pools was closed for maintenance work a couple of days during September. This done periodically to ensure that everything is working correctly and I do want to mention that we a have three pools. The parking rates are very competitive when compared to the other major hotels in the San Juan area. If you decide to return you will definitely see an improvement in our customer service skills. Always available to assist, Henry E. Neumann.

Reviewed September 6, 2006

Staffs are not friendly and there's a poop in the bathroom when we checked in the room. Great location as there's a bus stop right outside

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Solution_Condado, Facilitator and Customer Solutions Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2006

I am very sorry that the staff was not friendly to you during your stay. The employees of the hotel are currently taking training courses, which are aimed at improving customer service. These courses also mark a detailed cleaning procedure for the rooms. I want to thank for your visit and feedback. We are working everyday to provide the best service. Regards, Henry E. Neumann

Reviewed August 30, 2006

Okay...1st....We were guaranteed an early check-in because our flight arrived at 10:30 am...That didn't happen until about 3: 30 pm.....Then they put us on a side where all construction was going on.....The bellman advised us that we might hear some noise...I am an early riser especially when I am vacationing, but if I wanted to sleep 1 morning, I didn't want to hear construction going on....(That was for room # 1)...(Room # 2)....At about 4:15 pm, they switched us to the other side of the hotel which was fine...needless to say the room had an aroma of good provolone cheese(the taste is good but smells rotten...lol)..Housekeeping said they would spray the room, but that wouldn't work being that I had a 9 yr old with bad allergies and asthma with us....(Room # 3)....Roughly Roughly 4:45 pm....We were exhausted from being at the airport from 4:30 am...a nap would have been nice...That didn't happen either....We were told to wait in the room until they found another...(Room # 4).......Finally, after I was complaining and very irate...They gave me an upgrade free of charge...The room was very nice, no smell, and there was room to walk around...So bottom line is that they did do the right thing, but over all I wouldn't recommend the hotel....Eating is off the wall...A breakfast buffet is $21 pp, beer by poolside is between $5 & $7 per beer, frozen drinks are about $8 with barely a taste of rum...I haven't been in PR in about 10-11 years and now I figured out the reason...I don't see myself going back anytime soon.

Regards,

Twisted IN NYC

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
1  Thank TwistedInNYC
Solution_Condado, Facilitator and Customer Solutions Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2006

We are sorry about your check in experience. The Condado Plaza Hotel does not guarantee early check ins. Early check ins can be requested, but are not guaranteed by the hotel. We apologize for the misunderstanding. The prices of our drinks and our breakfast, we find be competitive within the hotel industry in Puerto Rico. If you decide to give us another chance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me. Regards, Henry E. Neumann.

Reviewed August 27, 2006

I have stayed at the Condado Plaza before, and I absolutely hated everything about it. It was humid, smelled mildewy, everything the other reviewers complained about.

This time, I got bumped from the Inter-Continental and I ended up having to stay at the Condado Plaza. Well, needless to say, I was very annoyed. But when I walked into my room, I was pleasantly surprised!

We had a small, but comfortable room, and though they were willing to upgrade, we stayed put because we had already unpacked. The staff was helpful, friendly and courteous. I can't say enough about the housekeeping staff, they were awesome! Now the food in the hotel is terrible! BUT it's Puerto Rico... get out and enjoy some of the local restaurants and the delicious food in Condado and Old San Juan.

Okay, the pool needs to be cleaned... but everything else... FANTASTIC! And when they finish this renovation in December... I will be BACK!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Solution_Condado, Facilitator and Customer Solutions Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2006

Great. This is what we are working towards. Everybody in the hotel is very excited about our new customer service training programs and the renovations to the rooms and public areas. We are working on the cleaning of the pool area, as it is being power hosed this week. As for the food at the hotel, our new Food and Beverage Managers are constantly looking for ways to improve our product. We are looking forward to having you back. Best regards, Henry Neumann.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Juan
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel

Been to The Condado Plaza Hilton? Share your experiences!