“Terrible for the Price (even without it!)”

The Condado Plaza Hilton
Ranked #24 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed March 7, 2006

First of all, do not be fooled by the description of a "white sand beach." This hotel is NOT on the beach. The hotel is on the ocean, and a strip of huge rocks separate the two. There is a very small square of beach, on a lagoon, and next to the main road, which really doesn't qualify as white sand. It had a jungle gym on it and it was not very clean. If you are going to PR for the beach, go elsewhere.

Second, do not be fooled by the description of seven terrific restaurants. I never saw all seven, and the ones I did see were lined up back to back like a food court. Additionally, the staff seemed to think Tony Roma's accross the street was the best dining option.

Third, the room was in awful shape. There was no mini-bar (and no working mini-fridge for drinks). The furniture was chipped and scratched and the curtains and window dresssings were dirty. The room (even with a/c on) was humid.

Finally, the conceirge was rude - and the rest of the staff was just plain unhelpful. They struggled to recommend restaurants, bars, etc (beyond Tony Roma's of course!).

Overall, this was a huge disappointment. If it had been half the price then maybe (maybe) it woudl have been worth it. However, even then I would have wished I was just on the beach in an inexpensive bungalow in Rincon.

• Stayed: March 2006
7  Thank trvlmnky

new york
Reviewed February 25, 2006

Arrived at the hotel and entrance was nice. Once at the desk they made me sign an additional agreement which would bite me upon checkout. I'd recommend checking off that you will only pay for the hotel and phone calls but refuse to pay the additional tax and tariff since with my package via priceline it states taxes are included. On the day of checkout they'll slip a bill under your door insisting that you pay tax and tariff which amounted to an additional $160 for a 4 day stay. I disputed the charge and they agreed to wave the tax but said I still owed the $23/day tariff.

Generally staff and puerto ricans were very friendly and I felt safe in Condado and Old San Juan with only 3 beggars seen the entire trip. On the ride to the Rain Forest you'll see very primitive living conditions and even within the city they have housing projects. Everything in Condado is gated, especially the condos and businesses.

The hotel lobby was very nice with a cool salt water fish tank housing the laziest 3 sharks I've ever seen. There are about 5 restaurants within the hotel, the only one I'd recommend is Tony Roma's since prices are in line with other U.S. locations. Generally service at all of the restaurants we visited was slow so you'll need some patients. Meals at the other 4 hotel restaurants are very overpriced but if you want the convenience then go ahead. The location is prime and there are plenty of reasonably priced places to eat within a short walking distance along Ashford ave. I'd recommend Waikiki and Don Hose Hacienda which offer an incredible ocean view but if you go at night bring a light sweater.

We got lucky at the casino: plenty of 1 and 5 cent slots to occupy your time.

Room was acceptable with a good view of the lagoon and some basic patio furniture. The bathroom was a little small but generally very pleased with the room. No extra charge for using the safe. Cleaning staff were great: we even left out some cash and it was all there upon returning. No minibar in the room.

As for the pools: there's a regular pool in the rear of the older lagoon view rooms part of the hotel which was barely used and we did some laps here without being disturbed. For more action, in the rear of the newer half of the hotel are two additional pools. These are busier and I'd recommend coming before 10 am for your lawn chair otherwise you could be waiting to snag one. The saltwater pool had plenty of sun bathers surrounding it but I didn't actually see anyone swimming in it. The other freshwater pool had a swim up bar and a section for kids. Drinks were about $8 and a little watered down so few people were actually purchasing.
There is a small beach whereby they give you a free lawn chair to use. It's a little rocky and the locals do invade a portion of it so I wouldn't say it's anything special. The water is a little rough but not a bad change of venue. Did not see anyone Kayaking, snorking or SCUBA diving on Condado beach.

To get to old San Juan you can take a bus for about $1 or just walk it since it takes about 1 hour to get there. It's well worth the time with plenty of shops and historic sites. This is where they let off all the cruise goers so it can get hectic.

For day trips the hotel offers a tour operator (GSI) in the main lobby with several trip options. We did the Bacardi/Old San Juan tour hosted by Robert who was terrific and I'd highly recommend it for about $45 including 2 free drinks at Bacardi and admission to the Fort which was fascinating. We also went on the Rain Forest (El Yunke)/ beach day tour which was also a great way to spend a day for about $60. Plenty to see though the visibility of the water at the beach was about 5 feet so I felt that bringing my snorkling gear was a waste.

We also went to Las Plazas Americanas which was a $15 cab ride to the biggest mall in the Caribbean, the biggest I've ever seen. Not a lot of deals but a good way to kill some time.

One thing I noticed along Ashford was the incredible number of joggers. It was a great place to have a relaxing drink and people watch at the numerous streetside bars and restaurants.

Overall I was initially worried by some of the reviews but was very pleased with the hotel. I would have preferred if they were more upfront about the tax and tariff but otherwise a big two thumbs up. We recommended the hotel to our in laws who will be going in the next few months. The beaches are less than average compared to other caribbean islands but there is a lot of action there and plenty of American chain restaurants it you are worried about food consistancy.

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Flushing, NY
Reviewed February 24, 2006

We booked a four-night reservation at least one month in advance through Wyndam. We got to the hotel early to check-in and the check-in clerk told us they did not have a room for us for the first night. We had a confirmation and reservation number with us. At first, the only option they gave us was to shuttle us to the Holiday Inn for one night (even though we paid for the Condado Hotel rate). After arguing with them for 30 minutes, they finally gave us a Murphy room - with a tiny double bed that pulls out of the wall - this was not what we had reserved and paid for. Apparently their Associate Director of Sales (Pier M. LeCompte) was responsible for making the decision to bump off our reservation to accomodate a Sales Convention that was scheduled for the same weekend. I called Ms. LeCompte and her answer to why the sales party was given preferential treatment was 'We are in the hotel business. This is what we do.' She was completely unhelpful and had a real snooty attitude. Adding more insult to injury, as we were continually being told they were sold out, at least 10 parties arrived after us being able to check-in without a problem. Somehow we chosen to be the unlucky victims. We got to the hotel early after a long flight and were hoping to be able to enjoy some sun that afternoon. Instead, we spent 45 minutes checking in. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. Check-in service is awful. If you do have reservations at this hotel, I recommend that you call in advance to confirm.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New York
Reviewed February 24, 2006

We booked this hotel as a package with an airline. I was very nervous upon reading some of the other reviews but was pretty happy with our experience.

First of all it was 5 minutes from the airport and $20 - the cabs in PR are outrageuos (and we're from NY!). Check in was a breeze - 5 minutes and they had our room ready at noon (we expected to have to wait till 4) The room was very clean, we had a beautiful ocean view on the top floor. The maid was great - came every night and replaced the towels we used to shower with before dinner. Then came back later on to see if we needed anything else. The hotel is on the older side, the room was a little dated. But it was very clean. We loved the huge walk in closet - it kept our clothes out of the way and gave us a place other than the bathroom to change (we had kids with us)

Our major disappointment was the beach. We are beach people and one of the reasons I booked this place was for the beach. The photos on all the websites do it much more justice than it deserves - the beach is right on the highway - loud trucks and cars racing by, not the serene beach experience we were looking for. Also - it's a lagoon - not the ocean. It is very rocky - filled with sharp rocks that slice your feet and hands...wear water shoes. Also it is a public beach, not just for hotel guests.
We mostly stayed by the pools which were clean. My son loved the water slide and towels were readily available. As with most resorts, you have to come claim your seats early in the morning to get the best location.

We ate breakfast in the hotel - Max's restaurant - for $15 you got a nice buffet - all you can eat. homemade waffles and omelets....very good. We didn't try the other restaurants but ventured down the street and into old san juan and had some great meals. We did have lunch one day at the pool restaurant which was horrible and over priced.

The hotel staff was weak. They really didn't seem to care, unlike other places we've been where the staff is very attentive (and looking for tips) the staff here seemed like they couldn't be bothered. The swim up bar at the pool had one, sometimes two bartenders - you had to wait forever to be served (weak $8 drinks or a $3 soda that was about 3 oz soda and 5 oz ice)....there were always lines at the bar -- no waiters walking around while you were at your lounge chairs taking drink orders. The restaurant at the pool had HORRIBLE service - one afternoon I ordered lunch, waited one hour and was told my order was never put in, because they were busy. It was Presidents week and I'm sure the hotel was full - but ADD MORE STAFF!!!

We're not big lunch eaters so after a big breakfast, all we really needed was a snack mid-day and then dinner....After dinner one night we got a case of soda (you could also get beer) from a local store and put it in our room refrigerator. We also picked up some snacks and brought soda and snacks down to the pool in the afternoon.

I'd stay here again if I wanted a quick getaway and got another good deal.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 14, 2006

My wife and me just recently came back from a 7-night vacation. We have to say that Condado Plaza is a great hotel for a three star rating. Check-in was pretty quick and we didn't wait for the room at all. We asked for a possible free upgrade but the lady was unbreakable. She offered oceanview room for additional $40 per night. We declined. Our room was on the 9th floor. Hotel has 10 floors altogether and the top two floors are Executive level. Room was big with pullout sofabed and high speed internet modem. Comparing to other islands in the Caribbean, hotel food was not so expensive but was not worth money paid. Along Ashford Avenue, there are a lot of restaurants and fast food places that offer much more delicious meals. We usually had breakfast at Hacienda Don Jose which is like 2 minute walk from the hotel. It offers breakfast specials for $5.75. Right next door, there is Waikiki Restaurant & Bar that is a bit more expensive but steaks there are great. Both restaurants offer magnificent oceanview. On the other hand, staff of Condado Plaza did not look very knowledgeable about their own hotel. For example, one of the staff didn't even know where the third pool is. Also, do not leave your chairs unattended for too long. We left towels once to reserve spot and went for lunch. When we came back after an hour, the towels were gone. Hotel beach was clean and nice. If you love to play tennis, you may take advantage of this. They charge you $10 for reservation and $5 more for racquet and balls rental. So, if you bring your own eqipment, you may even play for free. Both courts are lighted. Nightly entertainment was boring. There was a live band playing right next to the casino. Unless you stood close to them, you couldn't hear them play. Marriot Hotel has live band playing every night from Wednesday to Sunday. It's just a 15 minute walk from Condado Plaza. Overall, we had a great time and we are satisfied what we got for our money.

• Stayed: January 2006
12  Thank Agent011
NJ
Reviewed December 31, 2005

I just got back from a 5-night stay at Condado Plaza in San Juan Puerto Rico. I felt the need to come on here and write about my stay to clarify some things. When I booked this hotel, I came on here and read some of the reviews and they were awful. I came in to the hotel trying to keep an open mind. The hotel honestly was average... I am a clean freak so there was nothing dirty about this hotel like some people have said in these reviews. The cleaning ladies were very nice and did a great job. The rooms were very clean as well as the bathrooms. The service however was definitely poor. I had to wait about 3 hours for my room to be ready and it took about an hour to check in to the hotel itself. The casino .. I would not recommend playing blackjack or slot machines.. I never saw anything hit. I play poker a lot (usually No Limit here in the US) and found that Puerto Rico only offers 5-10 Limit !! So I tried it out and it's a totally different game..but I made $600 on the trip playing this .. If you are a poker fanatic, take a drive over to Intercontinental to play..there are better players. As for the cuisine, I didn't eat in the hotel....the hotel's food was extremely overpriced! All you have to do to get some FANTASTIC food is walk about 5 minutes down the street from the hotel... and there are 2 great restuarants I went to called "ROPA VIEJA" and "AJILI MOJILI" They are excellent..also down that road is a Louis Vuitton store, a Cartier store and other nice shops... which made me happy :) Overall, It was a good stay.. nothing was dirty about the rooms or the pool area like previous reviews had said. It's just a place to stay and it definitely mett my expectations.

• Stayed: December 2005
20  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 19, 2005

We spent a night at the Condado Plaza awaiting the departure of our cruise ship. I was a little nervous of how the hotel would be considering the negative comments of other reviewers. We were totally satisfied with our stay. The hotel has been sold and will be undergoing a major renovation to bring it up to standards. Although furniture/fittings/decor is rather outdated, still it was clean and comfortable and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

8  Thank sheasllm
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde

Been to The Condado Plaza Hilton? Share your experiences!