“Needs some updating”

The Condado Plaza Hilton
Ranked #22 of 48 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed August 16, 2005

We enjoyed our stay. Hotel was clean. However, while the hotel is nice it by no means is luxurious. If you are looking for a “resort feel” try the Wyndham El San Juan (beautiful in comparison). The Wyndham Condado has a few pitfalls and is clearly in need of some TLC. It is an older hotel that is in need of a some updating/improvements and general maintenance. The main pool had several missing/cracked tiles, the carpet on our floor (7) was ancient – very faded and worn. The salt water pool needed an overhaul. The lobby had marble tile floors with glass mosaic tiles in one area that had missing pieces. One of three phones in our room did not work. Bathrooms needed updating too. The beach is small, on a main road, and not nearly as nice as some of the beaches in PR.

On the plus side breakfast buffet was good at the restaurant in the mezzanine. Staff was gracious, helpful and accommodating. If you stay there go to Ropa Vieja for dinner it is wonderful and just down the street.

• Stayed: August 2005
8  Thank tkwhite
Write a ReviewReviews (4,934)

Reviewed August 2, 2005

I am a Wyndham By request member. I booked an ocean front deluxe room. Check in was quick and we were guarenteed late check out. When we arrived to the room we were horrified. It was dingy old and smelly to the point I was nauseated. The furniture was from the 60s, the ceiling was stained and falling down. There was a balcony where I spent the next 7 hours the time it took the hotel to change the room. Our next room was without a balcony...not what I paid for. After making a quick round of the hotel area pool beach etc we decided not to stay. After all the fuss the hotel comped us the night and we checked out the next morning. I spent a week in PR, 4 days at the Conquistador, 1 night at the Condado and 2 at the Holiday Inn. I must say the Wyndham Condado has some arrogance calling itself a 4 star hotel. I'd give it 1.

5  Thank anav
Reviewed July 24, 2005

My friend and I (both single girls in our 20's) just got back from PR last night. We stayed at the Wyndham Condado. The hotel is not as bad as some people have said on here. The Condado area is very old and is under construction. This hotel is located at one end of Condado by a bridge. The pictures of the pool on the website are a bit misleading. I only saw two pools.....one has a swim up bar but there was a TON of kids in it. The other is a salt water pool where it has more adults. The pools are not in the best condition. The beach is very very small. It's more like a swamp. The rooms are not bad. They have a huge walk in closet. The bathrooms are updated. We joined Wyndham By Request and got upgraded to a ocean front room which is beautiful at night so make sure you join. Right when you walk into the lobby you can smell smoke. The lobby is not bad though.....nice fish tank. Check in and out was easy. We arrived early and left late but the concierge held our bags without a problem. The service was wonderful and everyone was very nice.

The casino is small. The pictures make it look larger. I didn't win (actually lost $200) and I didn't hear other people winning. It is open 24 hours. I did not eat at any of the restaurants there. For breakfast, I would suggest the Hacienda which is right down the street (maybe a block). The view is unbelievable. There is a Subway Subs right down the street also if you want something quick (and don't mind eating at a place that they have everywhere in the world). There is an amazing restaurant called Ajili Mojili which is down the street on the opposite side (Lagoon side). It is really good and the prices are reasonable.

As for the nightlife.....we went into Old San Juan to a place called the Pool Palace. It had salsa dancing one night and another night there was a band. We also went to El San Juan (in Isla Verde) on Saturday night and that was pretty happening. It also has great looking people. Everyone is in the lobby dancing and hanging out.

For beaches.......definately go to Isla Verde. You can take the bus......B21 to A5 (I think). It's $.25 each way/each bus. It is a bit of a ride and very crowded. We bused it there and cab'd it back ($13). As I mentioned, the beach by the hotel is very small (and it is a public) but is ok for a quick dip. I referred to it as the "swamp".

For activities.....The only thing we did was snorkeling. It was amazing! The company was called Spread Eagle II. Their website is snorkelpr. The price is $65 and that includes food which was amazing also. The captian, Tito, was great.....not to mention great looking! :) The other staff on the boat was wonderful also. I also heard the bioluminescient bay tour is really cool but we didn't get a chance to go.

We had a great time and the hotel was fine. It was def. a three star hotel. If you want luxury stay at the El San Juan (also owned by Wyndham). It is pricier though. I would not recommend this place for a romantic getaway. There also was not a lot of singles. This hotel is probably better for families. I am def. going back to PR and would stay here again.

9  Thank HR_Chick
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 16, 2005

I stayed at the Wyndham Condado from 6-30 to 7-11. It was a wonderful stay. The staff was very attentive and helpful. The rooms were ample and had a huge closet, which could fit a twin size bed if needed. We were on the 7th floor ocean side. The building by the lagoon had ceiling fans, our side did not. This was not needed since the air conditioning was very good. At night I would make the room very cold and then prop the balcony door opened so that we could listen to the ocean throughout the night. It was a great way to sleep. We had a hard time trying to find a car rental from the places nearby, so the concierge immedialtely called a dealership that would rent cars. We got a better deal then what Avis and L&M were offering. L&M require that you show proof of car insurance if you choose not to take their ins. Of course we did not have our cards with us. Besides their rates were outrageous. The staff were always helpful when it came to giving us directions. They were always ready to open the doors and take luggage.

The building is old, so expect some things to be a little runned down. Many people have complained about that the carpeting is old. If People are concerned about carpeting then go somewhere else. This should be the least of your concerns while on vacation. So what if the carpeting is old. You go on vacation to enjoy the sights, the pool and to eat. Not to look at carpeting! The elevators at times were slow, so don't try taking the elevator during checkout time, that is when they are slow, but otherwise they were fine. The pool area was very nice. People complain about too many kids in the pool, but what can you expect, the pool is 3.8ft deep, of course all the small kids are going to be there. It seems to me that these people just don't understand that families go on vacation too, so there are going to be kids. If they they do not want to see so many kids then go to an adult only resort. Leave the rest for those of us who have children. We got to swim in the pool at anytime. Sometimes we were out there until 2am. You simply had to bring your own towels. Staying at the hotel was Rosalyn Sanchez (rush hour) and Shannon Elizabeth (american pie). They seemed to enjoy the hotel also. Some people complain that this is not a 4 star hotel. For the price $(140) it was a very nice hotel. If you want 4 Star then you have to be willling to pay $300 or $400 a night. Some people who checked in after the 4th of July got ratges at $90. I don't know about you but I would rather spend my money on other things than to shell out $5000 just for a hotel. If you want 4 star then go the Ritz or Intercontinental.

The area is under a lot of construction. You have to realize that the Condado area was built in the 1960's. So yes, the area is looking a little outdated. But they are working on that. They are currently rehabbing two hotels along the strip. These will be beautiful when completed. Don't expect it to look like Las Vegas, this is an old island and they sre suceptible to hurricanes and wear and tear from the ocean. During the 70's this was a very happening place, and when all of the construction is completed it will be like that again. I think it is still very happeing, on Fri and Sat evenings all of Ashford Ave. is filled with people going out to have a good time. Plenty of outdoor Cafes offering music and drinks. It is very lively and beautiful at night. You don't have to stay in the hotel, it is very safe with plenty of police all around.

We never ate at the hotel. I knew the food would be expensive. Instead we would go walking down Ashford Ave. There are plenty of places to choose from. If you don't mind paying a lot for Puerto Rican food then go to Ajili Mojili, or Ropa Vieja. Puerto Rican food is not expensive, so we chose not to eat there. Instead we went to Cafe Angel and the Godfather 3. Their prices were much more reasonable and authentic. In Old San Juan go to El Jibarito on Calle Sol. Excellent food and prices.

Yerba Buena has a cuban group that plays excellent music on Fridays nights. They give the audience instruments so that they can participate in the music. I loved the music. There is dancing also if you choose to. This is a Cuban rest. I went for the music and the drinking, so I didn't eat there. My sister did and she loved the food.

I have plenty of pictures if you would like to see them then just email me I will send them to you.

• Stayed: June 2005
12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 13, 2005

I had a great time at this hotel. I stayed for 2 nights at the Marriott for business but moved the Wyndham Condado the last 2 nights because they were cheaper. I was very happy with the deluxe room (same online AAA booking price as a standard room) that I had because it was more than I needed and it was nicer and more spacious then the room that I had at the Marriott. My room had the bedroom as well as living room, and the bathroom was off the short hallway that joined the two other rooms. There was also a TV in each room, separate climate control for the 2 rooms, internet, 3 phones, mini-fridge, safe, minibar, ceiling fan, standard coffee maker, hair dryer, iron/ironing board in room. The room was clean and well furnished with potted plants, and the sofa in the living room was a sofa bed...and I never caught a whiff of cigarette smoke on my floor or in my room. My view was of the Ocean Side building of the hotel across the street, but past that I could also see the ocean and to the left the lagoon.

On the flipside, some other people who were on the trip with me also got a room at the Wyndham Condado, but they were in the other wing of the hotel Ocean Side. Their room was a standard and didn't look as nice- ample space but all the furniture just looked older. Their ice machine didn't work and they complained about the parking and how no one offered to help them with their bags right away. This may explain the mixed reviews that this hotel has gotten.

Other things about this hotel:
-Pool area on the Ocean Side has a swim-up bar, a water slide, several pools (including saltwater one), hot tub, loads of lounge chairs, hammocks, and is literally separated from the beach by 3 steps. The beach area that adjoins it is small but not too crowded even the 4th of July weekend I was there, was relatively clean (Wyndham staff cleans the area abutting the resort), and there is a wave break that stills the water to a gentle lapping...fish swim right up to your feet in the clear water.
-Live Latin music on the small stage near the casino every night I was there...you can dance if you want to.
-A lively casino atmosphere and plenty of restaurants in the hotel to choose from.
-The lobby has an aquarium the length of a wall, huge mosaics of mermaids, and colorful blown glass light fixtures in the lobby and on the Mezzanine level.
-Gusto di Italia- food was okay and prices comparable to Olive Garden, but the service was fantastic. The waiters were very attentive and super nice. Skip Coqui Shack by the pool. The food was not worth, even the $6-something for the breakfast buffet- there are so many other better, cheaper options on Ashford.

Other recommendations: Take the bus for 25 cents instead of a cab for $12-$14 each way to Old San Juan or Isla verde. Eat at the Parrot Club in Old San Juan (~$23/entree but worth it). Speak Spanish if you can just because it's a great chance to practice and people are so nice, no one will make fun of you. You can always fall back on English since everyone speaks that too.

Also expect: Tropical heat/humidity, crazy driving, music everywhere and police cars that always flash their lights (but not their sirens) even when they aren't trying to pull someone over. This is just the way things are on the island.

• Stayed: July 2005, traveled on business
12  Thank K_Westwood
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed July 11, 2005

We just returned from a family vacation and stayed at this hotel the first week in July. I was a bit skeptical from reading all the negative reviews but I must say I was NOT disappointed. Check in was painless although the lobby seemed a bit crowded the entire week we were there. We were upgraded to an ocean view room at no extra cost which was great. We had our "By Request" goodies in our room when we arrived. Our mini bar however was completely empty the whole time but we didn't even mention it because we bought our own goodies at the Walgreens so we did not sweat that "small stuff". We absolutely LOVED the pools. My kids (12 and 3) both had a blast there. The beach is tiny but during the week was not crowded and it was fine. The restaurants however are extremely expensive....$10.00 for a hamburger....ridiculous..okay so you get fries with it....still too expensive. I wasn't thrilled about the local restaurants nearby either. I was looking for more authentic Puerto Rican food which I wasn't impressed by what they consider Authentic....especially Ajili Mojoli. We were NOT impressed by the food there at all and the waiter was not the friendliest either. I think he might have been annoyed by my 3 year old son. If you have preschoolers or toddlers, don't go here to eat!! I regret it after we were seated and looking at the menu but didn't want to walk out especially since it was raining out. I hated that we had to travel so far (Old San Juan was the closest we found) for some good ol' Alcapurias, Rellenos de papa, Bacalaitos, Pionones, Molsillas or Pasteles. That's the kind of food we were looking for. One thing I enjoyed almost everywhere I went was the coffee. Even at Subways they had some good old Puerto Rican coffee. The best was the little Mexican place with the $5.75 breakfast. I forgot the name of it but it's right next to Waikiki. You sit overlooking the ocean waves hitting the rocks and enjoy good breakfast and EXCELLENT coffee! Anyway I digress....the Wyndham was a good spot. I called about our TV twice and both times had someone at our door in 10 minutes. At check out, there were some discrepancies with our bill but those were taken care of immediately. Overall we had an absolutely great time in Puerto Rico and I'm looking forward to going again. For a good price (under $150 per night) I'd definitely stay here again.

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Monroe, CT
Reviewed July 10, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Wyndham Condado from July 2 - July 9. This hotel is definitely NOT a 4-Star hotel. The rooms were clean, but the carpet needs replacing. The larger pool with the bar in it is full of kids and only 3 feet deep. YUCK! We spent our time in the salt water poole which was 6 feet deep. Both the salt water poole and the jacuzzi need work, broken tiles, rusting etc.

We got the AARP rate so I guess itg was adequate for what we paid but I would not stay there again. If your room is in the front of the hotel it is extremely noisy due to street noise. We also felt that the air conditioning the rooms could have been cooler. The store in the hotel as well as the food is OUTRAGEOUSLY PRICED!!!!!! $8.00 for a hot dog!

If you want to go to Bacardi or Old San Juan or the Plaza de Americas - take the bus B21 it's only 25 cents!!!!!!

The people in PR were very friendly and helpful.

Hope this helps someone.