“Better Than I Expected”

Ranked #24 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Framingham, Massachusetts
“Better Than I Expected”
Reviewed January 30, 2005

After reading some of the reviews, I frantically tried to get another reservation elsewhere, but without success. So I expected the worse. The hotel is in a major city. Ashford Avenue is a major throughfare in the area. So of course the hotel is located on a street. So is any major hotel in any major city. The hotel is located at the tip of a penisula, with the Atlantic ocean forming the northern border of the hotel. We had a lovely room with a balcony and a very comfortable king size bed overlooking the lagoon. This was a southern exposure, so the balcony was engulfed in the sunshine all day. It was a great location to get to the Pan American cruise terminal, as Ashford Avenue becomes a causeway which leads to the terminal. The hotel was in excellent condition cosmetically, and very clean. The casino was lively with free entertainment along side the Casino. Drinks were priced on the high side, but very well prepared. There was a very reasonably priced Tony Roma's restaurant on the premises, as well as a very good ice cream shop. I am puzzled about the security issues raised in other reviews as the hotel was crowded, people were walking on the streets at night, and the room had its own individual safe. If the El San Juan and the Intercontinental are 4 stars, then this is a 3.5 in comparison. If you consider those 5 star hotels, then this was a 4 star hotel. I stayed at all three, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with this hotel, and I would stay there again.

• Stayed January 2005
13 Thank BigAlFromDaBronx

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,058)
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed January 20, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Wyndham Condado from Jan 16 to Jan 19 '05. The hotel was in a good location compared to other hotels in the area. There are actually to buildings, on each side of ashford. We were in the building on the ocean side. The hotel was very close to old san juan. We walked to el morro from it. Was a very nice scenic walk. Our room was large. It had a nice balcony, sitting area, and a smaller room to put our suitcased in, and hang our clothes. We had two fridges, coffee maker, iron, and board. We were on the fifth floor, we had a corner room, where on our balcony, we had a partial view of the lagoon, and could see the pool and beach from the side of it. And there was a window as well overlooking the ocean. We never ate at the hotel because it was quite pricey. 11.50 for bacon and eggs is crazy, but just a quick 3 minute walk, and there is a cute little sea side restaurant that had bacon and eggs, coffee and orange juice for 5.50. There are loads of resaurants around, expensive one'd, cheap ones... We booked our tours at the hotel and they were quite good, and not bad in price. The hotel let us leave our luggage at the conceirge after checking out so we could go on one last tour before we had to go home. The pool area is beautiful. Never had a problem finding a place to lay down. There were lots of chairs. Over all, we did have a great stay there, and would stay there again if we go back..

17 Thank rjjj_r
nyc
Reviewed January 20, 2005

I cant beleive the bad reviews! What are these people talking about! I just came back from Condado, was there for Martin Luther King Weekend. I got so scared reading these reviews, I thought i was going to be "smelling paint" and seeing "rennovations" but I guess these so called rennovations are over because the hotel is beautiful! We were on the 8th floor with a pretty big room, bigger than we thought. I thought we were going to one of the middle to lower Wyndhams, after all we didnt care about luxury, it was only a weekend. But it was far more high class than I paid for and needed! I am 22 and my fiance is 25 and we are from New York. Believe me, it was more high class than necessary! I dont know what is more beautiful- Puerto Rico or its people! They are so nice, they just want you to be happy. They are very hospitable. There are three pools, and we didnt even have time to go to the salt water because the beach is right there! so warm inside even if it is a little windy. It is small but nice and sandy. I dont know why some people wrote there are rocks. The casino was perfect size. The dealers nice people- even gave us tips while playing! We suggest a few nights out in Isla Verde only 10 minutes away. And the horse back riding on the beach was well worth it, although expedia def. has better package prices. We regret no time for snorkeling, you should get that from expedia beforehand too. Take a walk down the Avenue and eat the Waikiki for lunch. You can go to Miro restaurant for seafood dinner 4 minutes away with a cab. You have like 25 choices of places to eat! Make reservations at Ropa Vieja or Miro. If you are very high maintenance and want to pay double, stay at the Wyndham Isla Verde. You should def. go out to dinner and club there one night, the Wyndham Condado employees will even suggest it. P.R. is beautiful and you can have both romatic time and fun time. Condado is more affordable with more down to earth people, and close to Isla Verde.

11 Thank kefalonitisa82
Louisville, KY
Reviewed January 2, 2005

Scheduling business in San Juan, I booked four nights at the Wyndham Condado Plaza (normally I stay at a resort in Dorado but wanted to stay closer to Old San Juan this time). Upon arrival I was upgraded to an ocean view at no extra charge which turned out to be the only truely positive aspect of my stay.
My first visual impression of the property was that of a run-down resort in much need of renovation. Once reaching the room, that impression was solidified. The grounds, indoor and outdoor guest areas were much of the same, especially lacking in simple cleanliness (including the casino, main pool, outdoor bar & restaurant). The salt water pool and hot tub were closed. The small beach resembled the resort in it's lack of upkeep, abundance of trash and to reiterate one other review . . . it is practically part of the adjacent road.
One of the evenings I dined in the main restaurant across from the casino, while the meal was not unsatisfactory (with the exception of being seated next to a walled column with more food stuck on it than what was plated), the service was. On another evening I ordered a Chicken Caesar Salad from room service, when it finally did arrive, the chicken had obviously been cooked hours earlier and was unfit to eat.
Now to the real infractions, on my third day there Tropical Storm Jean hit. There was absolutely no notification to guests in any manner before, during or after the storm. For myself, a single traveler, any hotel response would have been appreciated and in my opinion necessary, a hotel's guests and their safety should have been the number one priority. The hotel made the mistake of boarding up fire exits which opened up to outside alcoves & enclosed stairways above the pool, unfortunately should there have been a fire at any location down any floor's west corridor, the only safe passage would have been to jump off of a balcony into 75+ mph winds! Oddly enough, the front doors to the resort where open and the hotel staff were allowing visitors to stand outside in the motor lobby while rather large debris blew right in front of them. On the same day, I was told by the restaurant manager that they had run out of food and due to the electricity outage could not cook anything else. I was lucky I'd had some carry on food & water from the plane trip especially as the mini-bar/refrigerator did not work adequately. Please keep in mind I could not leave the property, the hotel was my only source for food and beverage! The housekeeping staff put bags consisting of a bar of soap and a towel on our doors daily during the storm operation. Although no occupied rooms were cleaned, all vacant ones were to accommodate new guests!?!
On what would have been my final evening there, I inquired regarding extending my stay as my flight had been canceled, they were quick to accomodate which I do thank them for. Unfortunately, I'd not slept well for the previous two stormy days and the hotel was operating under limited power so the air conditioning in the rooms was not working. The next morning I overheard another guest saying that Old San Juan was back up with full power so I inquired at the front desk if there was another Wyndham I could transfer to and be more comfortable. The young lady verified that the other Wyndham hotel was fully operational and said I was welcome to go to the other property. She also verified there would be no fees for early departure as I was relocating to another Wyndham for the sake of comfort and was leaving on my original departure day.
I did so immediately (which happened to be shortly after check out time) and found an absolutely beautiful hotel, (Wyndham Old San Juan), a wonderfully clean and fresh guestroom, and immediately had a four course luncheon that was simply superb! To finish my story, the Wyndham Condado charged me for the last night in which I transferred to the other hotel. I have contacted everyone from the resort's credit manager, my credit card company, as well as Wyndham's Corporate Guest Staff regarding the double billing and have never received any contact.
I've traveled back to San Juan since September (I go an average of three times a year) and stayed again at the hotel in Old San Juan I enjoyed that last evening ... ironically it's now an upscale Sheraton! Not surprising!

9 Thank lsvillekyguy
New York
Reviewed January 2, 2005

What a dump. I stayed with friends during the week of New Year's Eve. I would never stay at the Wyndham Condado or in Condado at all if I go back to Puerto Rico. If you are young, single, and looking for fun things to do (including a decent beach), do NOT stay at the Wyndham Condado. First off, dealing with the staff was a huge hassle. Check-in was painfully slow, the staff gave us a hard time for requesting extra TOWELS. The concierge of this "brand-name" hotel couldn't speak any English and were useless in recommending restaurants, bars, beaches, etc. The Condado State Beach is disgusting--it is framed by rocks, trees which don't let any sunshine in, and a rusty bridge surrounded by construction machinery. And it is TINY with NO waves. The beach area was so small and overcrowded most of the time.
Pool area okay, but was so windy when I was there that the chairs were flying around.
In terms of restaurants and facilities, the restaurant the Wyndham advertised as the greatest seafood place in San Juan wasn't even open anymore. And the spa/salon was inexplicably closed too. Yet they are both widely advertised all over your room.
We stayed on the "lagoon" side, which had a view of ugly rooftops. Our floor smelled like paint and varnish the whole time, and the carpet was moldy and ripped up and ratty. I expected much better from a Wyndham.
The hotel was crowded with families and kids, and though the casino was nice, it took forever to get a drink.
If you are young and looking to have a fun time in San Juan and a halfway decent beach--stay at the Wyndham El San Juan in Isla Verde (it's worth the splurge) or El Conquistador.

• Stayed January 2005
5 Thank JetSetter721
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 30, 2004

We checked in and checked right out. The beach and pool are in the middle of a city street, literally, so it is no wonder there are theft issues. Anyone can walk right onto the public beach, which is 20 feet wide at best with city traffic beeping and rumbling along. The pool is a stone's throw from the sidewalk so again anyone can walk right up to the pool. Something about a security guard at the pool makes one feel less like they are on vacation and more like they are in a carribean prison. Worse yet, they did not even have the room we were promised. We ended up at El Conquistidor and had a lovely vacation.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Hartford, CT
Reviewed December 29, 2004

We just returned from 6 nights during Christmas week 2004 at the Wyndam Condado Plaza in PR. I joined "Wyndam by Request" online before I got there so I was able to upgrade to a room with an ocean view (vs. the lagoon side which I had read on Trip Advisor wasn't as nice) we slept soundly each night listening to the ocean waves. The room was adequate and had a refrigerator too. We were very disappointed to learn that the tennis courts were not available to use, and we spent an hour in our tennis clothes before someone could tell us the story. We were told we could play at the Marriot about 1 mile walk -- but they didn't offer us a ride. Who wants to walk in the heat, play tennis and walk back? There were other minor glitches -- we were overcharged for drinks during happy hour, overcharged for parking, got the wrong food at one of the restaurants and surprisingly the manager didn't offer us anything at that hotel eatery ( I should have complained louder), and waited an hour (yes an hour!) for shampoo and conditioner one day. I called Housekeeping 3 times. Lastly, the concierge promised to make us dinner reservations at a local restaurant, but when the restaurant was booked, never contacted us so we were stuck. However, we got the eatery early and had no problem. The concierge was able to book us on a private trip to the Caves when we asked, but never cancelled the driver, after we cancelled the trip because we decided it was too far to travel from San Juan. He woke us up on the day we were supposed to go. I complained about the glitches to the front desk, and we got a free dinner at one of the restaurants, and on the last day, we got $60 off our final bill for our inconveniences. So they tried.

Sounds awful? But really, the pool and hot tub were great and the poolside staff was attentive. There was a guy, Angel, who runs games for the kids and is very energetic and fun. My 12 year old LOVED the water slide and must have gone down it 100 times. For breakfast, there are two cheaper places ($5 for full breakfast) 1 minute walk west of the hotel if you want to save some money. I would go back to this hotel if I had to, but I will probably stay at another part of PR, just to get closer to other sights outside of Old San Juan.

6 Thank lynfo16
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort
Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to The Condado Plaza Hilton? Share your experiences!