I have to say, after reading all the horrible reviews about this hotel, I was VERY trepidatious about staying here. I read such comments as, "crowded, smoky lobby," "rude, unhelpful staff," "dirty rooms with mildewed carpet," etc. However, after being at the hotel for about 3 hours, my husband and I agreed that this was definitely a nice hotel, and we could not understand why there were so many negative reviews.
The hotel is in the process of renovating, and if you go in understanding that, you're already ahead of the game. Our room was beautiful and had a great oceanfront balcony. (We may have stayed in one of the rooms that had already been renovated, but I'm not sure.) In any event, I have no complaints about the room. When I travel, all I really ask is that my hotel room is clean, reasonably nice, and receives daily attention from the housekeeping staff. All of these requirements were met with no problem. I am by no means a "hotel snob," as I have stayed in plenty of budget- and moderately-priced hotels in my lifetime. However, I've also had a 10-day stay on the club level of the Ritz-Carlton San Juan, so my hotel stays have pretty much run the gamut. This hotel is certainly not the R-C, but it's not the complete opposite either. I've stayed in plenty of Wyndhams, and this hotel is on par with the rest of them. It IS an older hotel, but it IS nice, and it IS being renovated. I would stay there again with no hesitation.
A couple of negatives, though. First, the beach is probably the smallest public beach I've ever been to. The hotel does indeed front the ocean, but the beach access is on the side of the hotel, and it is Condado Public Beach. It is a tiny beach with no waves. Basically, the beach is at the very beginning of the Condado Lagoon. It's very rocky, so if you want to get out in the water, bring water shoes. A lot of people in our group enjoyed snorkeling, though, because the waters were calmer than the ocean. I prefer waves and a larger beach, so that's why this was a negative for me. Also, drinks and food are unbelievably expensive in the Condado area, including at the hotel. My husband ordered a Medalla Light (local beer) from the hotel's swim-up bar. It came in a 10 oz. can (not 12 oz.) and was $7.00, which we thought was outrageous. If you stay here, just be prepared to shell out the dough if you eat or drink anywhere in the area.
I had also read bad reviews about the pool area. Personally, I thought it was a very nice area, and there were lots of secluded spots to read, take a nap, etc. There's a saltwater pool, a freshwater pool, and a large jacuzzi. We enjoyed the pool area and have no complaints.
I know everyone has a different experience when they stay at a hotel, and everyone has their own expectations, requirements, etc. I'm just writing this review because I had a pretty good experience, and I don't want others to be misled by all the bad reviews on here. One further note ... We were traveling with a group of around 80 people, and I've still not heard any complaints about their rooms or their hotel experience. Their experiences and opinions seemed to parallel ours.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Condado Plaza Hilton, the only hotel overlooking both the Atlantic Ocean and Condado Lagoon, is an enchanting alternative to typical San Juan hotel. Our unique location boasts cool ocean breezes, breathtaking sunsets, and a shimmering, protected beach. Whether you're traveling for work or play, this sparkling hotel offers it all, superb dining options including the award-winning Pikayo restaurant, elegant event venues, three glistening pools, water slide, waterports, 24-hour fitness center, tennis, poolside massage and bustling nightlife. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, HotelsforEveryone, getaroom.com, HRS and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Condado Plaza Hilton reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Conrad San Juan Condado Plaza Hotel San Juan
- San Juan Conrad
- Condado Plaza Hotel San Juan
- Hotel Resort Wyndham