“Neither horrible nor wonderful”

The Condado Plaza Hilton
Ranked #24 of 48 Hotels in San Juan
Murfreesboro, TN
“Neither horrible nor wonderful”
Reviewed December 27, 2004

I have to say, after reading all the horrible reviews about this hotel, I was VERY trepidatious about staying here. I read such comments as, "crowded, smoky lobby," "rude, unhelpful staff," "dirty rooms with mildewed carpet," etc. However, after being at the hotel for about 3 hours, my husband and I agreed that this was definitely a nice hotel, and we could not understand why there were so many negative reviews.

The hotel is in the process of renovating, and if you go in understanding that, you're already ahead of the game. Our room was beautiful and had a great oceanfront balcony. (We may have stayed in one of the rooms that had already been renovated, but I'm not sure.) In any event, I have no complaints about the room. When I travel, all I really ask is that my hotel room is clean, reasonably nice, and receives daily attention from the housekeeping staff. All of these requirements were met with no problem. I am by no means a "hotel snob," as I have stayed in plenty of budget- and moderately-priced hotels in my lifetime. However, I've also had a 10-day stay on the club level of the Ritz-Carlton San Juan, so my hotel stays have pretty much run the gamut. This hotel is certainly not the R-C, but it's not the complete opposite either. I've stayed in plenty of Wyndhams, and this hotel is on par with the rest of them. It IS an older hotel, but it IS nice, and it IS being renovated. I would stay there again with no hesitation.

A couple of negatives, though. First, the beach is probably the smallest public beach I've ever been to. The hotel does indeed front the ocean, but the beach access is on the side of the hotel, and it is Condado Public Beach. It is a tiny beach with no waves. Basically, the beach is at the very beginning of the Condado Lagoon. It's very rocky, so if you want to get out in the water, bring water shoes. A lot of people in our group enjoyed snorkeling, though, because the waters were calmer than the ocean. I prefer waves and a larger beach, so that's why this was a negative for me. Also, drinks and food are unbelievably expensive in the Condado area, including at the hotel. My husband ordered a Medalla Light (local beer) from the hotel's swim-up bar. It came in a 10 oz. can (not 12 oz.) and was $7.00, which we thought was outrageous. If you stay here, just be prepared to shell out the dough if you eat or drink anywhere in the area.

I had also read bad reviews about the pool area. Personally, I thought it was a very nice area, and there were lots of secluded spots to read, take a nap, etc. There's a saltwater pool, a freshwater pool, and a large jacuzzi. We enjoyed the pool area and have no complaints.

I know everyone has a different experience when they stay at a hotel, and everyone has their own expectations, requirements, etc. I'm just writing this review because I had a pretty good experience, and I don't want others to be misled by all the bad reviews on here. One further note ... We were traveling with a group of around 80 people, and I've still not heard any complaints about their rooms or their hotel experience. Their experiences and opinions seemed to parallel ours.

4 Thank barney01

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,046)
Reviewed December 26, 2004

My boyfriend and I visited the website for this hotel and decided to give it a try-- too bad I didn't know about trip advisor back then!

The casino and the enire hotel was very nicely decorated--but the rooms were NASTY!! The carpet was old and green and smelled like it was 100 years old. The beds were old, furniture was old, bathroom, bathtub old, it was just yucky.. Maybe I am a clean-freak--but I am a paying customer and I wanted my hotel room to be nice and clean. Would never go back there!! Also, their front desk service is very slow. The restaurants inside the hotel are nothing special and quite $$$. I had a wonderful time in Puerto Rico by trying to stay away from our hotel as much as possible. Hope this helps

• Stayed June 2004
8 Thank Yelana B
Reviewed December 22, 2004

After doing hours of online research, I finally found the Wyndham Condado. We got our room for 143 without taxes, and we also joined byrequest for free. When we were arrived they upgraded us to the ocean view for free, and we were welcomed with chardonnay and cookies. The drinks and food are kinda pricey though. The hotel staff helped us everyday to find places to go and cheap things to do, like taking the bus instead. The beach is small, but its great for swimming and there is even a coral reef. Make sure you get a room on the ocean view though. Overall this is the best hotel/resort I have ever been to and I am glad we booked our hotel here. The hotels off the water appeared to be in bad areas, so make sure you stay in ashford avenue.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 20, 2004

First a few tips. The Bacardi tour was a waste unless you really need to know how Bacardi got started. I went to the club Babylon, located in Wyndham El San Juan and it was a decent club but more so filled with young people. I was told it caters to 18 and up on Fri, and 23 and up on Sat. I must say the lobby (people, singles) in the El San Juan Wyndham was more my speed but I couldn’t afford $250 a night this time. Also do your bookings for a rental car online. I walked to Avis and was told they only had cars for $49 a day. However, I had already booked a reservation online while I was in the internet café next to walgreens. The car was $33 a day. The concierge couldn’t even find me a good rate, so I did what I normally do, book it myself. The hotel charges $10 a day for parking with in and out priviledges.

My feelings are mixed. My first room was pretty nice and with an awesome view, although I am a bit afraid of water and I am a hotel snob. As another person said, I also saw some tiny, tiny bugs. Only two though, lol. Unfortunately I had to switch rooms because someone called my room and said some sexual things. Scared me to death. They switched me to a room that took four attempts to get in. Apparently the lock wasn’t working that well. When I got in the room, I was not happy. The balcony door wouldn’t lock; no CD player and things just didn’t look up to par. So I went back down and complain, this time raising my American voice. I was switched to another room that was pretty nice but the hot water wasn’t hot, and it was running as if it was trying to wash a baby (very slow). I complained the next day and the manager said she would send up an engineer. Correct me if I am wrong but that means, they would walk in with dirty shoes right? When I mentioned this she looked at me like I was crazy. Da hell I want them coming in a room I am staying in with dirty shoes after my room was clean. If they are engineers, they are working and usually get their shoes dirty. You know they wouldn’t have sense to vacuum again or per request. So I gave up because I saw a bad situation turning to a worse one, so I dealt with the slow, cold water.

The bellboys and concierge guys were very friendly and answered all 100 questions I had (lol). I noticed the maids didn’t change the bed sheets. I knew for a fact I left hair in the bed (combing my hair in bed) and it was still there after they cleaned the room. I made sure all my belongings were in my suitcase. I don’t take my things out at any hotel. One of the elevators keep getting stuck on 4, as another person said. I guess they haven’t figured out what to do yet (sarcasm).

I would stay at this hotel again if I want to stay in this area because overall I was pretty comfortable despite the things that happened. The hotel for the most part was clean and so was my room and it had a very large closet and a comfortable bed. I also got two wake up calls, which was cool. I also got some wine, cheese and crackers, because I am a Wyndham By Request member. I actually forgot about this and got it the second day.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed December 1, 2004

This was my 7th trip to Puerto Rico and I wanted to stay in Condado. The hotel is in desperate need of renovations that of course they were doing during my stay. The staff was friendly and the front desk gave us an upgrade just by asking. The housekeeping staff on the other hand was a disaster. The pools were nice and it's right on a public beach which was immaculate. Great location, you can walk to anything you need or take a 10 minute cab ride to Old San Juan or Isla Verde.

8 Thank sunlily
Reviewed November 29, 2004

Wowwww...i can't believe this place has such bad reviews! We just returned from a wonderful vaccation in PR. We had originally booked at the San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino after reading the amazing reviews, but that place was a nightmare. The lobby was so smoky and loud it was unbearable. The poeple were rude, it was overcrowded and it was not child friendly at all. Our tub wasnt draining, the room smelled very musty and gave us allergies and they never offered us any upgrades but moved us to a similar room and were very rude. The next day we mpved to this Wyndham and LOVED IT!!! The poeple were very friendly and it wa sa beautiful place. The pools are wonderful, the casino is to the side and its spread out so it never feels over crowded. They have 3 pools and two hot tubs and beautiful hammocks to relax in right by the water. I napped there with my baby and it was the most beautiful sight. They have plenty of restaurants in the hotel and also close by. We had a great time and will definitely retrn!!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 28, 2004

I just read "Theft at the Condado" and finally felt I needed to weigh in on this and also post a review. I was robbed by the resort pool despite the cameras, security bracelet, and numerous security guards. The managment told me they NEVER had thefts, however, they also would not reveal anything on the security tapes and prevented the police from investigating. The police were only allowed in the lobby. The theft was poorly handled and I was made to feel responsible!! Our vacation was ruined. However, in all fairness when I attempted to leave I was offered a transfer to any other Wyndham and got my second choice "the Conquistador" which was absolutely magnificent and a true "resort".

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to The Condado Plaza Hilton? Share your experiences!