“Best Location, Beautiful View, and Friendly Staff”

The Condado Plaza Hilton
Ranked #24 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
MI
Reviewed December 22, 2004

After doing hours of online research, I finally found the Wyndham Condado. We got our room for 143 without taxes, and we also joined byrequest for free. When we were arrived they upgraded us to the ocean view for free, and we were welcomed with chardonnay and cookies. The drinks and food are kinda pricey though. The hotel staff helped us everyday to find places to go and cheap things to do, like taking the bus instead. The beach is small, but its great for swimming and there is even a coral reef. Make sure you get a room on the ocean view though. Overall this is the best hotel/resort I have ever been to and I am glad we booked our hotel here. The hotels off the water appeared to be in bad areas, so make sure you stay in ashford avenue.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

north carolina
Reviewed December 20, 2004

First a few tips. The Bacardi tour was a waste unless you really need to know how Bacardi got started. I went to the club Babylon, located in Wyndham El San Juan and it was a decent club but more so filled with young people. I was told it caters to 18 and up on Fri, and 23 and up on Sat. I must say the lobby (people, singles) in the El San Juan Wyndham was more my speed but I couldn’t afford $250 a night this time. Also do your bookings for a rental car online. I walked to Avis and was told they only had cars for $49 a day. However, I had already booked a reservation online while I was in the internet café next to walgreens. The car was $33 a day. The concierge couldn’t even find me a good rate, so I did what I normally do, book it myself. The hotel charges $10 a day for parking with in and out priviledges.

My feelings are mixed. My first room was pretty nice and with an awesome view, although I am a bit afraid of water and I am a hotel snob. As another person said, I also saw some tiny, tiny bugs. Only two though, lol. Unfortunately I had to switch rooms because someone called my room and said some sexual things. Scared me to death. They switched me to a room that took four attempts to get in. Apparently the lock wasn’t working that well. When I got in the room, I was not happy. The balcony door wouldn’t lock; no CD player and things just didn’t look up to par. So I went back down and complain, this time raising my American voice. I was switched to another room that was pretty nice but the hot water wasn’t hot, and it was running as if it was trying to wash a baby (very slow). I complained the next day and the manager said she would send up an engineer. Correct me if I am wrong but that means, they would walk in with dirty shoes right? When I mentioned this she looked at me like I was crazy. Da hell I want them coming in a room I am staying in with dirty shoes after my room was clean. If they are engineers, they are working and usually get their shoes dirty. You know they wouldn’t have sense to vacuum again or per request. So I gave up because I saw a bad situation turning to a worse one, so I dealt with the slow, cold water.

The bellboys and concierge guys were very friendly and answered all 100 questions I had (lol). I noticed the maids didn’t change the bed sheets. I knew for a fact I left hair in the bed (combing my hair in bed) and it was still there after they cleaned the room. I made sure all my belongings were in my suitcase. I don’t take my things out at any hotel. One of the elevators keep getting stuck on 4, as another person said. I guess they haven’t figured out what to do yet (sarcasm).

I would stay at this hotel again if I want to stay in this area because overall I was pretty comfortable despite the things that happened. The hotel for the most part was clean and so was my room and it had a very large closet and a comfortable bed. I also got two wake up calls, which was cool. I also got some wine, cheese and crackers, because I am a Wyndham By Request member. I actually forgot about this and got it the second day.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 1, 2004

This was my 7th trip to Puerto Rico and I wanted to stay in Condado. The hotel is in desperate need of renovations that of course they were doing during my stay. The staff was friendly and the front desk gave us an upgrade just by asking. The housekeeping staff on the other hand was a disaster. The pools were nice and it's right on a public beach which was immaculate. Great location, you can walk to anything you need or take a 10 minute cab ride to Old San Juan or Isla Verde.

8  Thank sunlily
Chantilly, Va
Reviewed November 29, 2004

Wowwww...i can't believe this place has such bad reviews! We just returned from a wonderful vaccation in PR. We had originally booked at the San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino after reading the amazing reviews, but that place was a nightmare. The lobby was so smoky and loud it was unbearable. The poeple were rude, it was overcrowded and it was not child friendly at all. Our tub wasnt draining, the room smelled very musty and gave us allergies and they never offered us any upgrades but moved us to a similar room and were very rude. The next day we mpved to this Wyndham and LOVED IT!!! The poeple were very friendly and it wa sa beautiful place. The pools are wonderful, the casino is to the side and its spread out so it never feels over crowded. They have 3 pools and two hot tubs and beautiful hammocks to relax in right by the water. I napped there with my baby and it was the most beautiful sight. They have plenty of restaurants in the hotel and also close by. We had a great time and will definitely retrn!!

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New York, New York
Reviewed November 28, 2004

I just read "Theft at the Condado" and finally felt I needed to weigh in on this and also post a review. I was robbed by the resort pool despite the cameras, security bracelet, and numerous security guards. The managment told me they NEVER had thefts, however, they also would not reveal anything on the security tapes and prevented the police from investigating. The police were only allowed in the lobby. The theft was poorly handled and I was made to feel responsible!! Our vacation was ruined. However, in all fairness when I attempted to leave I was offered a transfer to any other Wyndham and got my second choice "the Conquistador" which was absolutely magnificent and a true "resort".

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 11, 2004

We checked into the Condado for one night before heading to the south side of the island for a week. At check-in, we were asked to sign a waiver confirming it was for one-night only (we thought it was bec. they were booked solid the next day). We entered our room around 10pm - called room service and was told the wait was 45 minutes so we asked her to cancel the order and said we would head to the restaurant and casino instead. We were gone 3 hours max - the next day we realized over $5K in valuables had been taken from our room (cameras, jewelry, etc.).

We think they specifically target single-night guests. Room service was aware of our intentions of leaving the room. Perfect opportunity. They assume if you're leaving the next day, chances are you're not going to unpack completely and by the time you realize something's missing - you're probably home already and your bags have been through the airport, etc. making it difficult to know where the theft occured. It was the start of our trip so we hung around and filed a police report. I wonder how prevelant this practice is. You'd expect a Hotel like the Condado, with a casino esp., to have serious security in place but they obviously don't. We asked to see a record of keycard entry for our room or video from the halls and they refused obviously. A security guard in the lobby told us that their hiring practices were so poor it doubles thier work load. They not only have to look out for shady guests, it's the staff that's frightening.

Again - we think the scam operates on single nights guests but who knows. We won't be staying there again.

9  Thank nymamasita
Reviewed November 8, 2004

The location on the water is beautiful, not much of a beach, though. Our room's furniture was beat-up, the bathroom light fixtures were falling off the wall, and there were tiny black bugs everywhere. The service was VERY poor and the food and drinks were TERRIBLY expensive for what you received. The hotel felt very overcrowded. For a wonderful dinner within walking distance, try Ropa Vieja and Ajili Mojili (excellent Puerto Rican food).

2  Thank Julie C