“Id rather stay at a Motel Six”

The Condado Plaza Hilton
Ranked #24 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
San Diego Ca
Reviewed September 30, 2004

4 star? hahahaa. I have seen better motel sixes. Our room wasnt too bad but alot of the room fixtures were in disrepair or rusty, not indicative of a 4 star hotel. The carpet STUNK. The staff was not very helpful, least of which were the casino staff. Our encounters with people in the general area minus the bellhops left me with a distaste for Puerto Rico. They were very rude and almost condescending. Maybe looking very "gringo" had everything to do with it. I'm not sure. I will not visit again unless my cruise ship ports there. Spend the few extra dollars and stay at the Caribe Hilton. Worth it.

There are newer reviews for The Condado Plaza Hilton

Reviewed September 27, 2004

I am compelled to relate what a poor experience I had at the Wyndham Condado in Puerto Rico. We came in off of Princess Cruises around noon on Sunday. We waited almost an entire hour in line to be told that there would be no room ready until three p.m. There was a gentleman handing out rum punch to the people in line. I think this was an attempt to appease an angry crowd, but they would have been better off having this gentleman working behind the counter.

They told us we could hang out at the pool area until 3 p.m. when a room would be ready. While we were at the pool, my boyfriend visited the restroom only to discover a sink full of vomit.

At 3 p.m. we waited in line another twenty minutes to finally get a room on the 9th floor of the tower which smelled much like cat urine. There were obviously much needed renovations in progress.

We visited the casino, where we couldn't even get on the roulette table. There were crowds of people surrounding the two open tables, and yet between the six dealers mulling around behind the tables, they still didn't open up either of the two other tables.

We were charged $6 for a Coors Light at the casino bar, and when inquiring as to the exorbitant price, the bartender sarcastically said, "Welcome to Condado."

I actually booked this room through Hotwire, and was told that what I paid included taxes. But upon check out, found that we were charged an additional $18 in taxes and tariffs.

I was extremely disappointed in the condition of the hotel and our floor and the service I received from staff. Although I am not a "By Request" member, I spent several weeks at the Wyndham in Los Angeles, which was by far superior in quality and service. Should I ever know anyone misfortunate enough to visit Puerto Rico, The Wyndham Condado will not be my recommendation.

4  Thank JennLbee
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed September 24, 2004

We just returned from a 5 day, four night stay at the Wyndham Condado Plaza and thought we would write a quick review.

The hotel was ok... just ok. It wasn't terrible, but definitely not a 4 star hotel. The room was nice; we had an oceanview which was the best part of staying there. The rooms do need a carpet upgrade but that's pretty typical of ocean front hotels. Not too bad but stained in some areas and you can tell it has been there a while. The maid service was excellent though.

The restaurants looked nice, a little pricy but since we wanted to experience the culture and not Tony Romas like we have here in Ohio, we ventured out to eat. There is a nice coffee shop outside though by the valet parking that has muffins and danish for 2$ each. Nice value for breakfast when combined with the free coffee in the rooms.

The Casino was nothing to write home about. They advertise it as the best in PR but we walked to the Raddison and even the Diamond Palace Hotel and found better games and machines that worked. It was a 20 minute walk and we had fun people watching while we were walking, if you like that sort of thing. The tables at Wyndam are mainly BlackJack, no Let it Ride or 3 Card Poker like they advertise so don't expect it. Also, many of their machines don't take bills and honestly, they were tight as a drum. We had more luck down the street. Even though the casinos down the street were better, if you are going on a gambling vacation, stick to Vegas, you'll win more and be able to play longer on your bankroll.

The pools were nice and not crowded. We're not really into the beach scene so the fact that the beach was small and not directly on the ocean (it was located on an inlet with not many waves or anything except street people trying to sell you coconuts!) we didn't mind.

If you are there for just a few nights during a cruise or something, I suppose this hotel is doable, but if you want to really experience a fine hotel and the culture, stay at the Marriott or Raddison down the street.

Final note: We went to the Bahamas last year and read reviews on here saying the people of the island are rude to tourists. Not true! They were all pleasant and helpful. We read the same thing about Puerto Rico and thought nothing of it until we arrived. I got the feeling they are tired of the tourists. Not quite as friendly even when you go overboard to be nice to them. We won't be going back so I guess they don't have to worry!

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 19, 2004

Just got back from the Wyndham Condado Plaza - what an experience. We happened to be there during Tropical Storm Jeanne. I will say that the hotel was nice, room was better than we expected and until the storm hit everything was fine - except our whirlpool tub didn't work (called every day and no one responded). To start with, no one from the hotel gave us any information on the upcoming storm and since the news was in spanish we didn't figure it out until it was obvious. We saw a sign posted at the casino that they were closing due to the approaching storm but were assured by the security guard that we would be fine, just rained out. About 12:00 noon on Wednesday, just as we ordered our lunch the power went out so we were told we could not get lunch. After heading back to our dark room we watched as pieces of the roof and building started to blow away. Finally someone from the hotel knocked on the door and told us we had to vacate the room and come to the mezanine level - along with the rest of the guests, to sit in the dark. We were offered peanut butter or tuna fish sandwiches and soft drinks, until they ran out - then nothing. We were finally allowed back into our very dark rooms that night to sleep with no A/C or lights only to wake the next morning to the offer of a $6 continental breakfast, $1 coffee and $2 water - what a joke. We left the hotel, walked a block to the Hacienda restaurant to find a full hot breakfast with juice and coffee for $5.50 - they were great! During the whole ordeal the staff was completely unhelpful, provided no information and was unwilling to make any accomodations for the guests. Had we not had such a terrible response from the staff we would visit again but their attitude spoiled our trip and put us off for any future visits. Just a note - the ocean is beautiful to look at from the hotel but completley inaccessible. Certainly not worthy of being called a beach. Wyndham took advantage of a very scarey situation, price gouging for food was most uncalled for and certainly not good customer service. We opted to sit in the airport for six hours rather than stay there another minute.

2  Thank Suzy904
New York, NY
Reviewed September 15, 2004

From the advice of a friend I decided I wanted to stay at the Wyndham Condado Hotel. Once I booked the room for a week stay, I decided to reads some reviews on it. I was really discouraged once I started to read the reviews. Even though there were only a couple of negative responses, more good then bad, I still was very doubtful. But once I checked in, I was very surprised. First off, the bus stop is right in front of the hotel, which was very convenient for us because we did a lot of traveling back and forth to old San Juan (mind you the bus ride is only a quarter). The lobby of the hotel was lovely, and the real surprise was when we checked out the room, the room was standard, but the ocean view was amazing. I feel in love right away. The private balconies were great, it felt like no one else was around. The pool elevator was perfect for going straight from you floor to the pool area, in just your bathing suit. On the other hand, the beach behind the hotel should not even be listed as one of the hotel's features because it is so tiny, but the pools make up for that. One of the pools has a slide which was listed on the hotel's features.I figured it was a straight down, boring, short slide, no, the slide was the best part of the pool, it was constructed so when your going down you don't see anyone else or when your getting close to the pool, there’s a couple of turns. There were a lot of kids on it, but I tried it out and it was great. Highly recommended for adults, especially the swim up bar!!!!!!There is the condado beach, for people who want to go swimming in the ocean, which is only a couple of blocks away. I went everyday, it was a very nice short walk.
One thing I have to tell you is to stay away from one of the restaurants in the hotel, Max's grill. $20 for a plate of food. Don't even bother eating there, unless if you have that kind of money. Right next door is an Italian restaurant where they have good food for a decent price.
Overall I was very satisfied with the hotel, so satisfied that I'm staying there again next year. Don’t listen to the negative comments like I did. Some people are just too high maintenance and are expecting Trump Towers or something like the ritz, you get what you paid for, and I got what I paid for and more. See it for yourself, instead of reading the reviews, it's worth a weekend stay.

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Bay Area
Reviewed September 7, 2004

I am not sure how someone can rate this hotel 4 stars since it only qualifies as a 2 star hotel in my book. My wife and I checked in at this hotel and was disappointed at our room. The floor carpeting was old and wall paintings are about to peel off. The lightning fixtures are broken and has rust stains all over it. Service was good but this is expected on big hotels. Beach was ho-hum and I did not even bother go swimming in it. Rocks does not add scenery as what the previous writer says (no offense). I recommend to stay away from this hotel and go to VIEQUES at Wyndham Resort Martineau. They have the best beaches we have seen that can be compared to Mauii or Fiji. And the resort is really a 5 star with a wonderful swimmable beach.
Wyndham Condado needs a makeover really bad.

New York City
Reviewed August 24, 2004

In a nutshell the hotel was more than we expected. We purchased a package through travelocity for a 5 night stay at the Wyndham. We did our research, read the reviews, saw the pictures blah, blah. Nothing really matters until you're actually there. The most breathtaking views, the friendliest people, the warmest beach water, and the cleanest room. Everything was comfortable and easily accessible. A standard room was more than enough for a couple, but with so much to do and see in PR, why stay in you're room. The entire staff was friendly and helpfull especially the concierge. The 3 pools were beautiful, the beach small but cute and clean with an amazing view. If you get a room with a view of the lagoon, don't be dissapointed, it's just as nice as the beach. Get to know the strip (Ashford Ave.) before spending $40 on room service breakfast (unless you want to, more power to you! ) There's a local hole in the wall with the best food for super cheap, a couple blocks away. Ask questions, it will make your trip more worthwhile!
We're already planning our next trip and looking forward to staying at the Wyndham once more.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel

Been to The Condado Plaza Hilton? Share your experiences!