“Condado Beach The Best Hotel Ever!”

The Condado Plaza Hilton
Ranked #24 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Phoenix
“Condado Beach The Best Hotel Ever!”
Reviewed February 8, 2009

We went to the Condado Beach on May of 2008 because my father was being honored by the Puerto Rican government as well as Hilary and Bill Clinton. We stayed in the 8th floor, which is where government visitors stay at. Despite the fact that us and the Clintons were the only people in floor 8 those days, and the hassles incurred by secret service (who were friendly to us, btw) we enjoyed our stay like crazy! I mean, here I was, on my plain white tank top and blue shorts, walking on the lobby eating ice, and nobody cared.

The big pool is the best you can enjoy in the world, there is a slide, and you can slide on it, swim all the way to the pool bar or just go under these showers they have too. The rooms are very clean, in fact, they have high end soap and toileteries you can use. Be careful with the Fiji water bottle, through, they charge you 7 dollars for drinking it!

There are many clubs and restaurants nearby, and the private beach is just a few steps from the hotel. Plane spotters will also enjoy this location: one can see jets landing at SJU from many of the rooms, and also, when at the beach you have an excellent look at the propellers taking off from San Juan's other airport, Isla Grande, just across the street.

The hotel is very close to San Juan's main attractions. There is a casino at the hotel.

Anoher thing, do not miss the walking bridge that connects this hotel to another one, specially at night!

• Liked — The pools!
  • Disliked — Everything was great
  • Stayed May 2008
3 Thank tj69662094

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,058)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 6, 2009

My wife and I stayed here for one night prior to our cruise. Having read numerous reviews on this site I wasn't sure what to expect but I can assure you our stay wonderful!
We were fortunate enough to have an oceanview room on the 8th floor. The room was spacious and bed extremely comfortable. The balcony overlooking the crashing waves of the ocean provided an extremely relaxing place to unwind after our flight.

We had both dinner and breakfast in the Italian Restaurant. Both food and service were great. Opposite the restaurant was the hotels casino, which was clean and never overcrowded. A truly fun environment.

Having read many reviews on this site, I also noticed that Mr. Henry Neumann, the Guest Relations Manager of the hotel took time out to respond to many of the reviews of this hotel expressing concern for some of the problems guests experienced during their stay, so I made sure to find him and say hello when we arrived. He is truly a gentleman and offered to do whatever he could to make sure our stay was pleasant. We had no need for his assistance, but I was glad to know that he was there if needed.

If you are going to cruise out of San Juan, the pier is a 5 minute cab ride from the hotel. I highly recommend you stay here. You won't be dissapointed.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Milwaukee WI
Reviewed February 2, 2009

Recently stayed at the Condado. It was nice. Rooms were nice. Clean, recently updated.

Had a few different pool options. One pool is by itself and very quite. Other pools by the Bar & Ocean a bit more lively. Had good service by the pool could order food or drinks. Many choices (salad, pizza, burgers, sandwiches, wraps, etc.) A bit pricey but it seemed like everything in this area of San Juan was pricey.

Had a great view of Ocean, beutiful scenery and the lagoon was surrounded by rocks. Very picturesque.

Casino was nice, plenty of free drinks and was open 24 hours.

Would not consider this a vacation resort but more of an urban resort.

• Liked — Casino
  • Disliked — Pricey
New York
Reviewed February 2, 2009

We had a lot of heightened expectations going into this trip (from tripadvisor, other recommendations, etc), and this hotel fell very short of not only those, but also the things one might take for granted at any hotel.

For example, this is a beach resort. One might think they could spend all their time on the beach. We went on to the beach around 4PM on Saturday, and were told that we couldn't have a lounge chair because "the beach is closed". We could stay on the beach, but what's the point? It's a 100-foot wide artificial beach on a lagoon, overlooking a construction-bound causeway. Forget about catching any waves. And if you happen to hit the beach before closing time, expect to pay $11 if you want to rent an umbrella for the day.

And the service was terrible and overpriced. We understand from our travels that in most places the waitstaff take a long time, but we were consistently left waiting 20-30 minutes at a time for drinks. It's difficult to maintain a decent buzz when you keep sobering up between drinks. One also begins to resent paying $9 for a rum and coke when it comes in a dixie cup. Apparently they couldn't spring for glass. The rent-a-cop down by the pool doesn't appreciate you bringing your own bathroom glasses down with you either. I wonder if he's trained in CPR, because I saw no lifeguards.

Speaking of which, the bar closes at 9. What kind of bar closes at 9? We go hiking in the rain forest and trekking about town and all we want is some greasy chicken wings, or a quesadilla, or mozzarella sticks (you know, gourmet food with the price to match), and the bar is closed right about the time it should be opening. If I could have reached behind the bar and poured myself rum and coke all night, I still would have felt ripped off.

The rooms were beautiful, and we had a fantastic view. However, the floors are covered in slick white tile. Several times this past weekend I slipped, and were it not for my cat-like instincts, I would have cracked my head. It's almost as if the cleaning staff is spraying the floor with pam, even the balcony. I spent time drying it with a bathroom towel and it was buttered up again after housekeeping came through. If you expect any kind of humidity or moistness during your trip to San Juan, bring some gorilla snot for your feet.

The last thing I'd like to say is that we were convinced to stay on Ashford because of the many reviews that told us not to stay in Old San Juan. If you do not want to see any culture, colonial architecture, museums, or fine food during your trip, and would rather stumble down Ashford past condemned hotels, empty lots, construction crews, and burger kings, then that is your choice.

The bottom line is, you will not want to stay inside the hotel, but there is nothing in this town that will draw you out of it. If you have the money to burn, go gamble, that's why they want you here anyway.

• Liked — The view from the balcony
  • Disliked — The beach and bar close way too early.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JimmyJava
Solution_Condado, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, February 4, 2009
Guest satisfaction is our priority at the Condado Plaza Hotel & Casino. Our management staff will study your review of our property in order to capitalize on the opportunities that you have presented. I do want to take this chance and respond to certain parts of your review. As a safety precaution, we do not allow glass in our pool area. The pool bar is open until 9pm, but our lobby bar and lounge is open into the early morning hours. The beach behind the hotel is a calm beach with very little wake. It is ideal for kids or guests that do not want to be bounced around by waves. I wish that you would have spoken to me or another member of our management staff during our stay about your observations. I thank you for taking the time to write about for stay. If I can be of assistance in the future, please contact me. Best Regards, Henry Neumann Hneumann@luxuryresorts.com
New Jersey
Reviewed February 1, 2009

Wow, I just returned from a business trip to Puerto Rico and was lucky enough to stay at the Condado Plaza. I was blown away by the cool South-Beach-style decor and vibe. Everything was designed and arranged to a T, nothing was out of place. The staff was extremely professional, friendly and helpful. After an exhausting morning of meetings, the bar staff by the pool made us feel very welcome, at home and served us a delicious late lunch. The pool scene was buzzing with sophisticated and laid back people of all ages -- no attitude here. The rooms are well done, stylish and decorated with the same great vibe as the lobby. I fell asleep to the sound of the ocean.

• Liked — the boutique vibe and excellent service
  • Disliked — nothing
3 Thank InaEames
Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed January 23, 2009

This hotel was in a great little area of San Juan. It was nicely redone and the rooms are spacious and nicely appointed with contemporary furniture and decor. Loved the bathroom!

Lobby was a bit small, but nicely done. Could use some better food options.

The "family" Italian restaurants has life-sized statues of David, which is butt-naked. Hardly what I would want my little kids seeing.

All in all, great views, clean, large rooms, and very hip. Would stay again.

• Liked — Size of rooms and decor
  • Disliked — Lobby and some of the restaurants
USA
Reviewed January 11, 2009

I stayed at the hotel over the New Year's holiday for a wedding. Overall, the hotel is nice. It has been recently renovated with modern decor, has great ocean views (if you are on that side) and a good location. However, I felt the hotel was superficially luxurious without a lot of substance. A few things I noticed...
- The rooms lack functionality. They have a nice corner sofa, however it results in there not being anywhere out of the way to put your baggage. The closet is in the bathroom (open next to the shower), not a problem unless you have dress clothes that shouldn't get wet, then there isn't anywhere else to hang them. There also isn't any place to hang bathing suits to dry.
- The pools are just ok. The primary pool is off to one side (near the beach), and is fairly small without much of an ocean view. Perhaps I got spoiled by the Caribe Hilton across the way which has beautiful pools overlooking the ocean. The Condado Plaza does have a water slide and swim up bar.
- Beach is public, which does allow the potential for experiencing a bit of local flavor, but is directly under/next to the bridge. There's a lot of traffic, pretty much all of the time.
- High fees and incorrect charges. Yes, resort fees are standard, but I like to see that I'm getting something for it (mini drinks by the pool, etc). As noted by some other reviewers, we had some incorrect charges - for already validated parking and something else I don't recall.

All in all, the hotel is nice, just not quite as luxurious as I was expecting. In the future, given the choice, I'd probably stay somewhere else.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort
Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to The Condado Plaza Hilton? Share your experiences!