“Wow vibe!”

The Condado Plaza Hilton
Ranked #24 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed February 1, 2009

Wow, I just returned from a business trip to Puerto Rico and was lucky enough to stay at the Condado Plaza. I was blown away by the cool South-Beach-style decor and vibe. Everything was designed and arranged to a T, nothing was out of place. The staff was extremely professional, friendly and helpful. After an exhausting morning of meetings, the bar staff by the pool made us feel very welcome, at home and served us a delicious late lunch. The pool scene was buzzing with sophisticated and laid back people of all ages -- no attitude here. The rooms are well done, stylish and decorated with the same great vibe as the lobby. I fell asleep to the sound of the ocean.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank InaEames
There are newer reviews for The Condado Plaza Hilton

Reviewed January 23, 2009

This hotel was in a great little area of San Juan. It was nicely redone and the rooms are spacious and nicely appointed with contemporary furniture and decor. Loved the bathroom!

Lobby was a bit small, but nicely done. Could use some better food options.

The "family" Italian restaurants has life-sized statues of David, which is butt-naked. Hardly what I would want my little kids seeing.

All in all, great views, clean, large rooms, and very hip. Would stay again.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed January 11, 2009

I stayed at the hotel over the New Year's holiday for a wedding. Overall, the hotel is nice. It has been recently renovated with modern decor, has great ocean views (if you are on that side) and a good location. However, I felt the hotel was superficially luxurious without a lot of substance. A few things I noticed...
- The rooms lack functionality. They have a nice corner sofa, however it results in there not being anywhere out of the way to put your baggage. The closet is in the bathroom (open next to the shower), not a problem unless you have dress clothes that shouldn't get wet, then there isn't anywhere else to hang them. There also isn't any place to hang bathing suits to dry.
- The pools are just ok. The primary pool is off to one side (near the beach), and is fairly small without much of an ocean view. Perhaps I got spoiled by the Caribe Hilton across the way which has beautiful pools overlooking the ocean. The Condado Plaza does have a water slide and swim up bar.
- Beach is public, which does allow the potential for experiencing a bit of local flavor, but is directly under/next to the bridge. There's a lot of traffic, pretty much all of the time.
- High fees and incorrect charges. Yes, resort fees are standard, but I like to see that I'm getting something for it (mini drinks by the pool, etc). As noted by some other reviewers, we had some incorrect charges - for already validated parking and something else I don't recall.

All in all, the hotel is nice, just not quite as luxurious as I was expecting. In the future, given the choice, I'd probably stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
8  Thank Cali78
Reviewed January 9, 2009

My first impressions of this hotel were great. The decor was contemporary, great location next to the ocean and the staff seemed warm albeit quite slow (this is part of the Caribbean charm I think).

The room was fine - not the best room I've stayed at in a five star resort, but it was acceptable. Dissappointing factor being no milk or sugar for the coffee / tea they supplied. And they only gave us two teabags for an 8 night stay.

The staff overall were friendly and professional and could not fault them at all.

The resort facilities were not really resort facilities; but general hotel facilties. No extra activities are offered and the pool is like any other pool you might see at a 3 or 4 star hotel.

The main gripe came at the end of the stay when asked for our bill we were advised on the bill that there would be an additional 30% tax. This was advised in the confirmation in very small writing at the bottom of our email confirmation and the total price on the confirmation email didn't show the additional fees. The additional fees included resort tax (approx. $60 per day) of which the Condado Plaza advised that this was to pay for the casino being open 24 hours a day and the unmanned gym being open 24 hours per day???? I didn't use either! There was also an additional occupancy tax and general other taxes. We complained to the Manager who didn't seem to be too bothered by our budget being hit $1000 more than we had anticipated. I find this extremely deceptive and would definately not recommend this hotel. I've stayed at hundreds of hotels and resorts and this has to be the worst value for money I've ever stayed at. I would NEVER stay at the condado plaza resort and would suggest that if you do happen to stay here find out what the total rate is plus the tax and the resort fees are before you book. As you can imagine this left a nasty taste in my mouth and a bad overall impression of Puerto Rico.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
8  Thank travellingall
Solution_Condado, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2009

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at our property. I would also like to take this opportunity to clarify some points that have been brought up. Condado Plaza Hotel and Casino, has a Resort Fee. This Resort Fee allows our guest to have complimentary; local calls, 1-800 calls, Wi-Fi, wired internet, beach chairs, and use of the tennis courts/gym. The Resort Tax and San Juan City Occupancy Tax are standard government taxes that every guest staying in San Juan is legally required to pay. We also have complimentary in room coffee packs. These coffee packs come equipped with coffee, sugar, and Coffee-Mate. Complimentary tea is also provided, additional tea can be requested. If you have additional questions or if I could be of assistance please do not hesitate in contacting me. Best Regards, Henry Neumann Hneumann@luxuryresorts.com

Reviewed January 3, 2009

I have been staying at the Condado Plaza every January since 1986 for minmim 10 days (back in the 80's) to currently at least 2 weeks, upwards to 3 - 3 and a half weeks. I used to stay on the 10th floor (formerly known as the Plaza Club Suites) where I was always treated with respect and pampered liike the royalty I think I am (ha!) *(i'm really nobody)
I have been thru just about every hotel on the island (worth reviewing anyway) and will definitle say this Hotel has always been my favorite. The location, right on the strip (ashford ave) overlooking old san juan is about the closest to nirvana one could imagine. The one thing that deters from ANY hotel, or vacation is the surrounding idiot travelers who think they they "deserve" special treatment - remember travelers, YOU are visiting, and have no reason to belittle or disrespect anyone. I recall one year a group of (idiot) younger folk (i can call them "kids",) who were at the hotel representing hotels.com, and obviously out of their element - definitely NOT the average person who would spend the extra $$ to stay in the plaza club acting like kids, and I thought "what a shame" that their comments would then be used to categorize this Hotel on sites as this. Bottom line - you're gonna get what you pay for - if you're miserale in your hometown with a lousy marriage, Puerto Rico aint gonna change it.
I LOve Puerto Rico, the People, The history, the bacalaitos! :)
Hi Evelyn! Miss you!!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank rico48099
Reviewed January 3, 2009

My husband and I travel a lot and we like nice modern hotels. We are 30 and 34 years old and have been to over 20 countries. This hotel was great and very clean. We stayed in a Ocean Vista room and we had the 10th floor which is the top floor. The room is definitly big enough and the decor is very cool and the bed is so comfortable. We didn't even have to get out of bed and we could watch the ocean all day if we wanted too.

The pool area is nice but they are doing some construction on a bridge nearby but it did not bother us as it was only on one day. The food at the pool is ok but a little pricy. Room service was quick as we used it for breakfast most days. The steakhouse here is awesome and it is called the Stiphouse. It is equivalent to a Morton's and we thought is was better then that. We went there 3 times in our 10 night stay.

Condado is lively at night but not near the hotel. It is about a 20 minute walk to the action of the strip. There seems to always be a lot of traffic so it can take 15 minutes into this area or about 20 minutes at night into San Juan. This is the one issue we had with Puerto Rico as everything is spaced out quite a bit. We ate at two great restaurants in Condado - Jam and Umma.

There was many great restaurants in Old San Juan but we like Marmalade the best. Try to White truffle bean soup!

The beach at the hotel is not big and the bridge is right there so it can not look great if you face that way. We are not huge beach people so we were totally fine with it.

We like the hotel a lot but we are not sure if Puerto Rico is as good as somewhere like Hawaii though.

We went on the Biobay tour which everyone should go on. The entire ocean glows while kayaking at night!

Have a great trip!

• Stayed: December 2008
2  Thank VancouverPinky
Reviewed January 1, 2009

I've read several of the reviews and wonder what kind of room they had booked. Bathroom in the ocean view rooms are appropriate sized as was the rest of the hotel room. The entire ocean side wall was glass and balcony; very nice. The room was contemporary which is not my taste but great fun for a vacation stay. The view from the balcony (9th floor) was fantastic.
The Lobby and Casino: A+. Clean, fun and no smoking allowed. Won $150 bucks! The first time ever I've won!
The Restaurants: C+. I wasn't excited with the selection. The Italian restaurant seemed the best choice but the marinara sauce was weak. I looked for a room service menu but not kept in room and couldn't access menu on hotel tv. It seemed too difficult to bother with. Best bet: walk down Ashford St 100 feet to the Mexican Hacienda. The food was fantastic and awesome view.
The Beach and Pools: B+. Shared beach with public and really enjoyed it. It seemed great to share the space and interact with locals. Beach is large enough for need and several other public beaches are within very easy walk down Ashford St. All beaches are mostly sand. Pools are private and very well maintained.
The Sites: DON'T TAKE A CAB. Outside hotel is Bus Stop (PARADA) and take B21 bus into Old San Juan. cost is 75 cents and very safe. See El Yunque Rainforest, All of Old San Juan, local beaches
The Housekeeping Cleaners: A+ Enough said, be sure to tip.
The Housekeeping managers: C-. I called 3x for a light bulb replacement in the bathroom and to get a lighting panel fixed on light fixed on side of bed. Next day a mismatched light bulb showed up when i asked house cleaner directly and no one ever came by to fix light panel. Is this a big deal? No, but its not the problems, its the response to the problem that people remember. I prepare to leave feeling that although the Condado Hotel and Casino has what it takes to be 4-5 stars I wonder if they are committed to providing that level of service.
The Bars: B-. Friendly staff but as long as bar drinks are $9 for a simple vodka tonic, people should buy liquor and mixers at the nearby corner store and save possibly a couple hundred dollars. Seriously, it's worth doing.
The Bill: B+. Check your bill as I had extra fees to remove regarding valet parking when no one visited and I didn't have a car. Overall cost was ok as I travel alot and adjusted quickly.

I would return since i know the ins and outs of the hotel and what and what not to pay for.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel

Been to The Condado Plaza Hilton? Share your experiences!