“Everything I could dream of! and more!!”

The Condado Plaza Hilton
Ranked #24 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed January 3, 2009

I have been staying at the Condado Plaza every January since 1986 for minmim 10 days (back in the 80's) to currently at least 2 weeks, upwards to 3 - 3 and a half weeks. I used to stay on the 10th floor (formerly known as the Plaza Club Suites) where I was always treated with respect and pampered liike the royalty I think I am (ha!) *(i'm really nobody)
I have been thru just about every hotel on the island (worth reviewing anyway) and will definitle say this Hotel has always been my favorite. The location, right on the strip (ashford ave) overlooking old san juan is about the closest to nirvana one could imagine. The one thing that deters from ANY hotel, or vacation is the surrounding idiot travelers who think they they "deserve" special treatment - remember travelers, YOU are visiting, and have no reason to belittle or disrespect anyone. I recall one year a group of (idiot) younger folk (i can call them "kids",) who were at the hotel representing hotels.com, and obviously out of their element - definitely NOT the average person who would spend the extra $$ to stay in the plaza club acting like kids, and I thought "what a shame" that their comments would then be used to categorize this Hotel on sites as this. Bottom line - you're gonna get what you pay for - if you're miserale in your hometown with a lousy marriage, Puerto Rico aint gonna change it.
I LOve Puerto Rico, the People, The history, the bacalaitos! :)
Hi Evelyn! Miss you!!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank rico48099
There are newer reviews for The Condado Plaza Hilton

Reviewed January 3, 2009

My husband and I travel a lot and we like nice modern hotels. We are 30 and 34 years old and have been to over 20 countries. This hotel was great and very clean. We stayed in a Ocean Vista room and we had the 10th floor which is the top floor. The room is definitly big enough and the decor is very cool and the bed is so comfortable. We didn't even have to get out of bed and we could watch the ocean all day if we wanted too.

The pool area is nice but they are doing some construction on a bridge nearby but it did not bother us as it was only on one day. The food at the pool is ok but a little pricy. Room service was quick as we used it for breakfast most days. The steakhouse here is awesome and it is called the Stiphouse. It is equivalent to a Morton's and we thought is was better then that. We went there 3 times in our 10 night stay.

Condado is lively at night but not near the hotel. It is about a 20 minute walk to the action of the strip. There seems to always be a lot of traffic so it can take 15 minutes into this area or about 20 minutes at night into San Juan. This is the one issue we had with Puerto Rico as everything is spaced out quite a bit. We ate at two great restaurants in Condado - Jam and Umma.

There was many great restaurants in Old San Juan but we like Marmalade the best. Try to White truffle bean soup!

The beach at the hotel is not big and the bridge is right there so it can not look great if you face that way. We are not huge beach people so we were totally fine with it.

We like the hotel a lot but we are not sure if Puerto Rico is as good as somewhere like Hawaii though.

We went on the Biobay tour which everyone should go on. The entire ocean glows while kayaking at night!

Have a great trip!

• Stayed: December 2008
2  Thank VancouverPinky
Reviewed January 1, 2009

I've read several of the reviews and wonder what kind of room they had booked. Bathroom in the ocean view rooms are appropriate sized as was the rest of the hotel room. The entire ocean side wall was glass and balcony; very nice. The room was contemporary which is not my taste but great fun for a vacation stay. The view from the balcony (9th floor) was fantastic.
The Lobby and Casino: A+. Clean, fun and no smoking allowed. Won $150 bucks! The first time ever I've won!
The Restaurants: C+. I wasn't excited with the selection. The Italian restaurant seemed the best choice but the marinara sauce was weak. I looked for a room service menu but not kept in room and couldn't access menu on hotel tv. It seemed too difficult to bother with. Best bet: walk down Ashford St 100 feet to the Mexican Hacienda. The food was fantastic and awesome view.
The Beach and Pools: B+. Shared beach with public and really enjoyed it. It seemed great to share the space and interact with locals. Beach is large enough for need and several other public beaches are within very easy walk down Ashford St. All beaches are mostly sand. Pools are private and very well maintained.
The Sites: DON'T TAKE A CAB. Outside hotel is Bus Stop (PARADA) and take B21 bus into Old San Juan. cost is 75 cents and very safe. See El Yunque Rainforest, All of Old San Juan, local beaches
The Housekeeping Cleaners: A+ Enough said, be sure to tip.
The Housekeeping managers: C-. I called 3x for a light bulb replacement in the bathroom and to get a lighting panel fixed on light fixed on side of bed. Next day a mismatched light bulb showed up when i asked house cleaner directly and no one ever came by to fix light panel. Is this a big deal? No, but its not the problems, its the response to the problem that people remember. I prepare to leave feeling that although the Condado Hotel and Casino has what it takes to be 4-5 stars I wonder if they are committed to providing that level of service.
The Bars: B-. Friendly staff but as long as bar drinks are $9 for a simple vodka tonic, people should buy liquor and mixers at the nearby corner store and save possibly a couple hundred dollars. Seriously, it's worth doing.
The Bill: B+. Check your bill as I had extra fees to remove regarding valet parking when no one visited and I didn't have a car. Overall cost was ok as I travel alot and adjusted quickly.

I would return since i know the ins and outs of the hotel and what and what not to pay for.

Reviewed December 29, 2008

Loved the hotel.. nice, clean.. Casino was cheap to gamble.. 5 dollar mins for blackjack and other table games.. and Roulette only 2 dollar.. even for outside bets.. Hotel room was big, nice balcony with very nice city view.. 9th floor..#907 no need for the ocean view rooms as this room overlooked downtown San Juan and the small bay.. bathroom was very large, nice shower in the middle, plenty of space for all our clothes and everything else.. coffee maker, fridge, safe.. ice machine just outside our room.. I really have no complaints at all besides the costs.. inroom movies were a bit pricey at 15 dollars a piece.. we ate at the hotel a couple of times.. the Italian restaurant was not bad and the steak house was excellent.. but a bit pricey.. parking for overnight at the hotel was 15 a day so not bad.. hotel has small beach which is not to bad.. went to several beaches outside San Juan and they werent any better than the small private beach at the hotel... Hotel is non smoking property so if you smoke you have to leave and go outside or smoke from your balcony.. no smoking in the Casino.. no complaints with this and I am a smoker.. Anyway hotel is very modern.. very close to south beach type hotel.. there is a deserted building next door to the hotel.. not sure why.. but didnt distract from the area.. hotel is on the rich area on a strip with pricey shops and overpriced restuarants.. Old San Juan is about a 10 minute drive across the bay.. so hotel is in a pretty good location.. a bit tricky to get there from the airport as our directions were terrible but after a day of driving around we figured out all the streets, its real helpful if you know spanish.. all street signs are in spanish and most people speak spanish, unless you are in the resort or tourist areas.. where most also speak english, not a problem for us as I speak spanish but if you dont.. you might want to study a bit before your trip to PR.. one thing I underestimated about PR is the size of the island.. its huge.. so plan your day trips wisely as it can take hours of driving to get places.. its at least an hours drive to the ferry station for the other islands.. all in all I would stay in this hotel again.. the pics of their web site are pretty accurate of the rooms and amenties.. We only visited the east part of the island and Vieques island for one day so looking forward to another trip there and seeing the west and south side and Culebra.. plan for a night or two if you want to go to the other islands.. a quick day trip that we did was not worth it.. you need more time than a day trip.. also no motorcycle rentals on Vieques as for some reason its not available anymore.. I think something about insurance or some accident there so it was discountinued when we were there.. the taxis at the ferry station arent really good as they really only want to take you to one close beach.. so staying a night or two there is better so you can go to better beaches.. Esperanza beach is not that great which is where the taxis want to take you... Other than that.. I recommend this hotel.. nice comfy beds.. free internet.. hope this helps if your thinking of staying here..

2  Thank kevip
Reviewed December 25, 2008

We stayed in this hotel in December 2008 for one night.

Pros: Contemporary looking inside, nice pool area

Cons:
- Bathrooms are tiny!! To open the shower door you have to step outside the bathroom or to sit on the toilet.
- "Resort fee", which is quite steep, included the use of chairs on the beach but you have to pay extra to use umbrellas. Ridiculous.
- There was a private party right under our windows. When we checked in we were assured that the party won't last all night. They meant it, it only lasted until 2 AM. We traveled with an infant, so loud music until 2 AM was NO fun for us. The only thing that the hotel manager did for us is he asked the musicians to tone it down, which did not help much.
- Internet (included in the "resort fee") did not work in our room or in the room of my parents. We were given keys to two other empty rooms on our floor, but it didn't work there either. Using internet in the business center came at an extra cost and it took a long time to find an employee who could help us at the business center.

Overall, for a "luxury hotel" (as they call themselves) this was a pretty bad experience. Will never stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank tp77
Solution_Condado, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2008

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your review of our property. We will make note of all your suggestions and discuss then during our next Managers Meeting. I wish that you would have either contacted one of the managers or myself during your stay, so that we could have assisted you. If I can be of assistance in the future, please do not hesitate in contacting me. Henry Neumann Hneumann@luxuryresorts.com

Reviewed December 22, 2008

The hotel is a lot more contemporary on the inside that it looks from the street. There's an awesome reef aquarium in the front lobby, and my check in was quick and easy. I wasn't expecting an ocean view room, so I was pleasantly surprised to walk into my room on the 9th floor and see the ocean. My room had a nice balcony with a couple chairs and a table, and on my last night I left the patio door open and loved the sound of the waves breaking as I went to sleep.

The room was a little small, and the furniture is more hip than practical, but there was a decent flat screen TV and the bed was comfortable enough. I didn't do more than pass by the casino, but it looked popular enough, and the bar downstairs was decent and opens onto a big patio overlooking the ocean. The Starbucks right outside was useful in the mornings.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed December 19, 2008

We vacationed at the Condado Plaza for 10 days in early December, and were very happy to have done so. The view from the Oceanview room is absolutely magnificent, and it is definitely worth the extra cost versus staying on the Cityside.

First, the positive:
-Magnificent ocean view in room
-Contemporary rooms with modern furniture
-Two pools with excellent poolside service
- Gym with state-of-the-art equipment
- Strip House restaurant on premises is beautiful with a fantastic ocean view and excellent food and service- it was the best steak dinner we have ever had, and we are from the NY Metro area, where restaurants abound. It is somewhat expensive, though.
- Many good restaurants on Ashford Avenue within walking distance- Ropa Vieja, Anjuli Mojili, Budatai (excellent), and lots of good sushi places nearby. There is also a Chile’s on Ashford Avenue if you want a quick and inexpensive meal. The Italian restaurant at the Condado is adequate, and there is also a good view. Starbucks is just outside the front door.
-Hotel is close to Old San Juan
-Staff is efficient and friendly
-Easy, fast, polite check-in and check-out
-Any problems are quickly handled by Customer Relations Manager, Henry Neumann- we had a noisy air conditioner the first night, and complained twice to the front desk. They immediately notified maintenance, but they did not respond. We notified Mr. Neumann, who quickly took care of it. He is quite responsive, efficient, and professional, and is an asset to the Condado Plaza. My husband had a toothache during our stay, and Mr. Neumann arranged for us to see a local dentist. He does what is takes to make your stay at the Condado pleasant and stress-free. I highly recommend contacting him should you have any problems that are not being resolved by the front desk.

Negatives
-Casino is packed almost all of the time, as it is popular with many local Puerto Ricans as well as hotel guests.
-Surrounding area has a lot of construction, and some buildings have not been finished due to poor economy.
-Odd bathroom set-up with coffeemaker and closet in bathroom and no lock on door.
-Very small beach, not really used by hotel occupants
-City-like surroundings- if you like being in a country -type, away- from-it- all setting, this hotel is not for you. However, it appears to be quite safe, with joggers going down Ashford Avenue all times of the day and night.

All in all, we liked our vacation experience, and will return to the Condado Plaza.

1  Thank cattom
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel

Been to The Condado Plaza Hilton? Share your experiences!