“Simply the best”

Ranked #24 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
New Jersey
“Simply the best”
Reviewed November 20, 2008

As I write this, I am sitting in my ocean front room at this wonderful hotel on Nov 21, 2008. I just want to let everyone know that this hotel is the best hotel I have ever stayed at. The rooms are exceptionally clean and decorated with a beautiful modern decor. The bathroom has to be one of the nicest bathrooms I have ever seen anywhere, let alone a hotel room. There is a shower right in the middle of the bathroom that is all encased in a glass enclosure which is a set up I will be copying in my own master bathroom. Even the toiletries that are provided are of top notch quality and comparable to any expensive brand name. And to boot, the cleaning service takes the time to clean your room thoroughly and carefully place items that are out of place back to where they should be. Simply put, you must see the room for yourself to really get an appreciation of the focus on detail that was put into the decoration and set up of the entire room.

As for the rest hotel, it just keeps getting better. In the lobby level there is a bar that just isn't a simple old bar. It's comparable to some of the nicest bars/clubs that I've seen over in South Beach. The bartender that was on duty that night (monday) was a guy named Lance who was everything you would like to see in a resort bartender; funny, knowledgeable of the area and other vacation spots in the world, and his personality simply just made our night. I believe he said he was just getting back in to bar tending and working just one night that week. If I were the manager of that bar, I would hire him on a permanent basis in a heartbeat. And if you don't want to be inside and listen to the music that is playing, there is an expansive covered porch area facing the ocean where you have the freedom to walk around and sit wherever you please.

Now for the pool area...There are 2 different pools. One huge 3 foot deep pool that wraps around the building with lights that change colors during the evening, and full bar that serves the pool with wait staff that will bring you your drink or food right to you with the nicest similes and personality in the world, and to boot has a volleyball net and a very slick water slide that my wife seemed to taken a loving too. The food is very reasonably priced and very good. Then there is a 6 foot deep salt water pool !!! As for the beach, it is somewhat of a lagoon set up that is protected by large rocks roughly 400 feet away from the beach so that the waves aren't too hard to handle and anyone (including my wife who can't swim) can enjoy the ocean water safely. Going back to the wait staff, we ordered food by the pool and asked them if it would be ok to eat the food by our chairs on the beach. They smiled and said not only can you eat there we will bring the food out to you. I was floored.

And again, it gets better. We looked over to a gazebo by the right side of the beach and saw a guy standing there with what looked like a massage station. My wife and I walked over and asked the gentleman what we did, and he said he was a massage therapist. Well when we heard that, we absolutely had to take advantage of that. My wife went first and then me 2nd. Just think to yourself... You're getting a massage from a professional, under a gazebo over looking the ocean, with the sounds of the Caribbean all around you. It just doesn't get any better than that.

Once we went back into the ocean we ran into a few other people who were also from NJ. Everyone one of them were also impressed with the place and had perma smiles on their faces. The experience just keeps getting better and better.

I can't comment on the Casino because I don't gamble, but if the casino is anything like the rest of the hotel it just has to be another enjoyable part of the place.

All in all I have to say that if you're looking forward to booking a trip to Puerto Rico, you must stay at the Condado. The Ritz, La Concha and Condado Plaza are the 3 gems of San Juan. The people who left negative reviews about this place have to be the types of people who complain no matter where they go even if they stay at the Waldorf in NYC because there is no way a hotel can do any better that what Condado has done for my wife, me and my friends this past week. The Condado and it's staff have given us memories that will certainly last us a lifetime. If you have any further questions about my simply remarkable experience in San Juan and my stay at the Condado, please feel free to email me at saamson@gmail.com. I will more that glad to help you with your trip.

• Liked — Everthing !!!!!
  • Disliked — The wireless internet connection did suck, and the wired didn't work which was too bad. Everthing else was perfect.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,058)
Louisville
Reviewed November 11, 2008

I stayed at the Condado as part of a conference. First the good parts: it is a handsome hotel and very close to a bus stop for cheap access to Viejo San Juan. The staff was generally accomodating, and housekeeping was the most efficient I have ever encountered. Now the lows: the price quoted doesn't include a 14% "resort fee," a porterage fee (as if you wouldn't tip the bellman!), a maid fee (as if you wouldn't tip), and, naturally, various taxes. The resort fee, in particular, is a way to hide the true cost of the rooms. Ours was nicely remodeled, although the bathroom was very small, and our room was especially noisy. Food at the pool area was very high priced, even for a resort, as were drink prices. The wireless internet access was intermittent and frustrating. All in all, I have to admit I was disappointed.

• Liked — A handsome property
  • Disliked — Noisy rooms
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Solution_Condado, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, November 14, 2008
I would like to thank you for staying with us at the Condado Plaza Hotel & Casino. I would also like to comment on one of the points that was brought up in your review. When large conferences come to the hotel, they negotiate room rates for their conference members. Due to the amount of rooms that these conferences occupy they usual negotiate a lower room rate than the average room rate for their conference members. Within these negotiated and contracted room rates, fees like porter age and maid gratuity are also contracted. These fees are not standard fees at the hotel. I hope that I have cleared up the situation. If I can be of additional assistance, please contact me. Best Regards, Henry E. Neumann Hneumann@luxuryresorts.com
San Juan
Reviewed November 11, 2008

On November 8, 2008 we arrived to the Condado Plaza around 6:15PM. My friend began the check-in process for a niece who is a soprano who needed to stay in a quiet place that night. Then my friend introduced herself to the front desk person who was assisting the guests at the moment. The gentleman at the front desk started the usual check-in procedure. After he finished the process and charged my friend's credit card he surprinsingly told us that the room was not ready yet (check-in time is 4:00PM). Also for our surprise the gentleman at the front desk could not provide us any alternatives at that moment neither the other front desk lady who was listening to our conversation. After my friend demanded to talk with the front desk manager, the gentleman disappeared from the front desk. When the manager show up, she was the person who assisted my friend and upgraded the room to a junior suite. I should say that we are local professionals who usually use certain hotels in Puerto Rico for business partners who comes from the states.

We have noted that when it comes to service to local tourists, the Condado Plaza has another rule for treating us. It is a kind of a "gentle-cynical-roughness" that from our perception does not contribute to a pleasant stay.

Condado Plaza should improve the lack of proactiveness from the front desk personnel because it was and it will be the cause for incidents like ours. None of the front desk persons said anything about not having the room ready nor they provided any alternatives. They were just there like two inactive bodies occupying a tridimensional space. We would also like to recommend Condado Plaza to radically change their anti-local tourism policy. This is not good during these recession days.

The hotel has been beatifully renewed. However, all that beauty was not enough to change the way we felt after the incident.

From our side we will not recommend this hotel to our business partners. We do not want our business partners to take the incorrect impression of Puerto Rico just by staying at the Condado Plaza.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank jrdrig
Solution_Condado, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, November 13, 2008
I would like to apologize for the impression that you receive when checking in at the Front Desk. I do want to assure you that we value our local guests very much. Our marketing department places a lot of emphasis on trying to attract the local tourist. Rest assured that we will review the service delivery that was provided during the check in process in order to ensure the highest quality service. I want to thank you for writing this review. I would love for you to give us a second chance to make a first impression. If I can be of service, please do not hesitate to contact me. Best Regards, Henry E. Neumann Hneumann@luxuryresorts.com
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 10, 2008

I recently returned from a 3-day stay at the Condado with my girlfriend & another couple. The hotel itself is nice, clean, and stylish. I'll start with the overall Positives, and then I will give you the Negatives...

Positives:
- the room itself was very nice and large. The ocean view has a GREAT view... you wake up in your bed and you are looking right out onto the water. The room was stylish and had a unique look to it. The color scheme, the shower, etc.... all very unique.
- The room was cleaned in a timely fashion.
- Room service was solid. The breakfast was good, came on time, and was not too expensive.
- The balcony in the room looking over the water was great.
- The pool / hot tub area is beautiful, and fairly large. I never felt like I was struggling to get a lounge chair. The hammocks are a nice touch.
- The outdoor restaurant was pretty good. Nice location, good food.
- The restaurants in the hotel are very good, especially the Strip House Steakhouse. It is very pricey (similar to New York City prices) but it is worth it. The food is excellent, the service is superb, and the overall atmosphere is great. We had a table overlooking the ocean which was a nice touch. If you want to spend $200 on a romantic dinner for two, I'd recommend the Strip House. The Italian restaurant on the mezzanine level is good too. We had breakfast and lunch there and the food is very good and reasonably priced.
- The casino had $2 minimums for roulette... always a good thing.
- The bar/lounge areas are lively, energetic, and fun.

Negatives:
- There are literally like 3 elevators in the entire hotel. We found ourselves waiting 5-10 minutes for a hotel at times. Not fun, especially being an impatient New Yorker.
- There is minimal service at the Front Desk, which makes for long lines and more impatience on my part
- Service overall was rude. The bellhop that greeted us and took our luggage to our room was very nice and very friendly. However, the employees working the front desk, casino and pool area are very rude.
- Communication between the hotel and guests stinks... for example, we were looking for the Tony Roma restaurant in the hotel for about 15 minutes until we asked an employee and realized that it no longer existed. The same thing happened when we were looking to buy gelato. They have a big sign out near the pool area that says "Gelato". When we went over to buy some, we could not find it. It was not until we asked an employee that we were told there was no gelato. Just overall disappointing...
- The biggest disappointment of all was the "beach" area. I have been to some beautiful beaches in Puerto Rico, but this is not one of them. The beach is small, dirty, and the view is one that looks onto the nearby highway and construction sites. Not very relaxing at all, and VERY disappointing. I don't want to be sitting on a beach with a Corona and looking out onto a busy highway and construction site. Condado needs to do something to change the atmosphere there or just eliminate the beach all together. It was just plain ugly.
- The casino was disappointing. Despite the low table minimums, the dealers were rude, and the games were questionable. While playing roulette, there were roughly TEN instances where the ball left the roulette wheel completely... and another 4 or 5 instances where the ball rolled along the edge of the numbers for 45 - 60 seconds before finally falling into a number. I've played roulette in many casinos and I've never seen the equipment THAT disfunctional or suspicious.
The dealers didn't act like this was anything out of the ordinary. Either get some new equipment or get your staff to be a little more customer service oriented.
Who wants to gamble when it seems like you're possibly being cheated out of a fair chance to win????? Not to suggest that the casino was rigging the games, because I am sure they were not... but when I left the casino after two hours I just had a bad taste in my mouth.

Overall the Condado was a nice hotel with some good and some bad. Although I loved the room, the restaurants, and the pool area, I don't think I would stay there again unless there were some major upgrades to the hotel & staff.

• Liked — the room was nice
  • Disliked — the beach was awful, the service is not good
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sigs11
Tampa
Reviewed November 7, 2008

I was a little worried from some of the recent reviews for the hotel that I was taking my wife to (suprise BDay trip) as I had booked the hotel in January of 08. So when I gave my wife the info on the trip about 2 weeks before we departed I informed her of the reviews and said we may encounter some issues while there. But after landing and getting to the hotel, those bad reviews were thrown out the window, from the moment we stepped foot into the hotel it was a very pleasurable experience. This was my first time in Puerto Rico and her second time, she went almost 20 years ago. The staff was more than helpful to us, they checked us into our room early and also had no problems checking out, easy as pie as they say. Although the room credit we had did not get applied at first, but when we came home the wife made a phone call and it was rectified the next day. The room was one of the best I've seen with the view to the Atlantic ocean, the room was very clean and loved the decor of it, very retro style with the bright colors, very comfortable bed with soft pillows, got some great rest. The italian resturant at the hotel served as our only food, but that should tell you how good we thought it was, the pizza there was one of the best, we ate it a couple of time. We are not big adventurers when it comes to other food, but our next trip there we will venture out and grab some local food for sure. And yes we will be back and we will stay at this same hotel. And if you go and stay here, say hey to Joe the poolside bartender, he's right, the best mojito around. I would definitely and have already recommend this hotel and also the trip to Puerto Rico to anyone that will listen to me, as that's all I have been talking about since returning. To the management of the hotel, thanks for a wonderful stay and the wife and I look forward to returning in the future.

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — leaving
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
midwest
Reviewed November 5, 2008

The hotel has outstanding outside facilities and a magnificent view. However, from the time I walked in, I missed the classic look it used to have before the so called remodeling. I agree a 100% with the person who spoke about "the locals" at the Casino. It used to be a very formal and elegant place. Now it is a hang out for the elderly and the lonely. I totally dislike the informal atmosphere and found it amazing that in today's economy, the majority of the people playing were women and elderly. It depressed me to walk through it. The "remodeling" has given the hotel a cheap look. The rooms are large and nice, but they need maintenance badly. Doors to the balcony do not lock or open easily; there is no electricity in some outlets, the phones do not work and by the way we also delt with the elevator problem-the back elevator was out of service twice for the 5 days and 4 nights we were there.
The concierge desk is the biggest joke of the whole place. The guys who open the door for guest hide behind it pretending to be polishing luggage cars, while the ladies chat on the phone. We approached it several times and none stop talking or hang up to help us, one even threw her cell phone under the table!
I also agree that the information and knowledge changed depending on who was there.
Transportation is a pain, hard to get, expensive for a short distance to Old San Juan and I believe it should be a service to the guest. The italian restaurant indeed had great food and good portions, lousy service. The guys all looked tired or mad to be there?!?!
Only Mr. Neumann, Jesus in security and Iris at the gift shop made me/us feel welcome and provided us with great-outstanding customer service.
Again, I agree with what I read, if you only want a great bed to rest and the ocean and pools to enjoy the sun and sound of the waves daily-then this is it; but if you appreciate service and a desire to help the tourist so you go back, forget it! No perks, no coupons, no hotel transportation to and from airport and no transportation to Old San Juan at all-ridiculous and poor PR for the hotel. Guest relations manager needs to sell his hotel better and train staff to be corteous and NEVER argue or questioned a guest.

• Liked — Ocean view
  • Disliked — Lack of transportation to and from airport and to Old SJ
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank SJrocks
lansing, mi
Reviewed October 29, 2008

We were at the Condado Plaza from October 22-26th. We really enjoyed our stay. We had a mini-suite on the lagoon side with a partial ocean view across the street. The room was clean and had everything you could ask for. We appreciated the big refrigerator. The fitness center is very nice and we made good use of it. The pool on the lagoon side was closed during our stay. They were filming a George Clooney movie. Others saw him but we did not. Rats! We usually sat by the big pool with the slide and spent time on the beach. The beach isn't very big but it is nice and the water is calm due to big rocks which were put there to break the big waves. There are many restaurants within walking distance on Ashford Ave. If you're out and about after dark watch your step! There are many "holes" and curbs that are easy to trip over. I rolled my ankle on a small curb and fell. Now I have a large abraision on my leg as a souvenier.
We rented a car from Dollar. I was excited that I found a good deal and apparently so did many other people. The agency is off the airport property so we took a shuttle and then there was a long line to get the car. It took us over an hour to pick up the car. In hindsight we would not rent a car again unless we plan to spend the majority of the trip outside of San Juan. Driving is a challenge in San Juan since the roads/highways are not clearly marked. We saw a lot more of the city than we planned to. We drove to El Yungue and enjoyed hiking some of the trails. We did get lost on the way but eventually found it.
The weather was perfect and the people were very friendly. We would go back to PR to explore the rest of the island.

• Liked — comfortable contemporary rooms
  • Disliked — Not on a long beach
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort
Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to The Condado Plaza Hilton? Share your experiences!