“Too Expensive”

Ranked #24 of 48 Hotels in San Juan
washingtondc
“Too Expensive”
Reviewed May 24, 2004

I stayed at this hotel for 5 days and 4 nights. I arrived with trepidation because of the previous reviews that I read about this hotel.

I was pleasantly surprised by the friendly bellmen/porters, they were the most welcoming and
helpful in comparison to the concierge, and the reception desk. I was given a double instead of a king and after getting that resolved I was placed in a room which was cleaner than expected, although the bathtub had not been properly cleaned. The cleaning staff was really friendly, too. The
following day, the person who cleaned the room did a thorough job on that bathtub. I couldn't understand why the perimeter of the bath wasn't cleaned properly.

The air conditioner in my room was horrible and blew out cool extremely humid air and made me feel sick. I turned it off and opened the door to the glorious view of the ocean and the fantastic breeze. I like the way my room was furnished, I loved the bed linens, especially the feather pillows and felt comfortable and secure.

The safe did not have a key and I never got one for my stay, so I wasn't happy about that.

The check out lines were ridiculously long and the front desk process took way too much time. I thought that the process was absurd.

This hotel is huge and it needs to have more check-in/out staff to accommodate the mass influx/exit of guests. As long as you are checking in/out off schedule, you are okay, which was my case. I arrived at 11:50a.m. and I checked out at 2:00 pm. I wasn't impressed with the reception desk staff who were aloof, as were the people who gave you towels at the pool and the wait staff in the high-end restaurant. The wait staff where the buffet was served were wonderful, though.

I wasn't impressed with the beach at all. It had trash and debris all over the sand and it was absolutely tiny.

I will be going back to beautiful Puerto Rico,
but I will be staying at another hotel. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone, as it is way too expensive for all the problems that it has.

• Stayed April 2004
1 Thank jacobian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,046)
Reviewed May 20, 2004

After an anciticipated birthday celebration, we stayed at the Wyndom Condada Plaza because a friend told me he had stayed there a few years ago and it was the best. Needless to say, I will never take hotel advice from him again. Upon arrival, the hotel staff was rude and acted like they did not have any reservation in my name (which I had made 3 months in advance) and made me feel like I was a nusiance. Luckily, I had all my paperwork in order and finally got a room across the street from the main hotel. The room was smelly and the furniture was dated. Beginning everyday thereafter, I had to call housekeeping EVERYDAY for coffee, cream, sugar, toilet paper, towels, kleenex, soap... do you get the drift? I will never EVER stay at this dump again. Service was RUDE from the front counter, concierge desk, restaurants, pool attendants, bellmen, store, room service, maids, and just abour everybody that I can possibly think of there. If you want to be scolded and treated like dirt, this is the place for you. Oh, and the food in the restaurants suck!

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 17, 2004

We stayed at El Condado Plaza from March 24-27. the place is ok. outside is beutiful but we enden up missing some items from our room (2 perfumes to be exact) The hotel just about 1wk ago credit our credit card for the amount of the items but is just going thru the aggravation. Really, put your items away, even the ones you wouldn't think anyone would be interested in. Otherwise, good experience.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 16, 2004

You know you’re staying at a luxery hotel when the hotel sign is missing a letter or two. If your idea of a Caribbean resort is a second-rate hotel situated in “Big Dig” like surroundings within walking distance to nothing but Chilli’s and vacant hotels than this is the place for you. If you despise the beach and prefer a shady 50 foot gravel pit that claims to be a beach you will love the Wyndham Condado. If the gravel pit is not your thing perhaps you might enjoy a game of Bingo by the cold pool or soak in the one cloudy germ –ridden jacuzzi. (Just don’t expect a towel or a chair at the beach after 4:00) You could also dine one of several mediocre restaurants, enjoy an over-priced artery clogging breakfast or gamble beside local seniors and career gamblers staying at the hotel for free. However, with such a lovely view of cranes, a bridge under construction, and the pounding sound of Jack hammers you may never want to leave your room. Just keep in mind you’ll have to stock your own mini bar. In all seriousness, this hotel might be Ok for families or older folks but if you’re looking to enjoy the beach or nightlife you’re much better off at the Intercontinental or the the Wyndam El San Juan in Isla Verde. And whatever you do don’t go to Puerto Rico in May when it rains everyday.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 14, 2004

Stayed here on my honeymoon and was pleasantly surprised. Paid only $75/night and had a $150.night hotel. They gave us a room with a full balcony and view. 5 minutes to Old San Juan. Great restaurants on the property, 2 pools and no one ever using the gym or tennis courts. The ocean side offers great views. Loved it!

Reviewed May 14, 2004

We stayed at this hotel from May 10-14th, 2004. The most important thing to note about this hotel is that the website, etc. is incredibly misleading. Here is the deal. Yes, technically, this hotel is on the "beach"...but not really. The area in front of it is 100% rocky, so there is no place to lay out, swim, etc. There hotel is next to and has a gate to a sandy area that is sort of a beach(filled with butts, and bottles, considering it is where the locals go), but is actually a 100% waveless alcove off from the coast area. Therefore, If you want to sit in the sun and jump in the ocean, this is not the place to do it. Go to a hotel in Isla Verde(like the IC), or further down in Condado, like the Marriott. Also, thought the Wyndham is in Condado, it is right at the edge, so its about a 15 min walk to all the upscale shops and resturants..the ones nearby stink (Tony Roma's and Chilis). The swim up bar and pools however, were quite nice.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 13, 2004

This is definitely not a 3 or 4 star hotel.... rooms are comparable to motel rooms. My husband and I stayed here in January, 2004 and waited before writing this review. Got a special deal on the Wyndham website. Checked in and the first thing I noticed was how busy the lobby was. Too crowded! Next was how filthy the carpet was on the corridor and especially in the room given to us. The desk was sticky and the bathroom was small. We were not given the lake view room per our confirmation. When I called the front desk, I was told that for the price I paid, it had to be a city view room. What city view is he talking about!.... it was the building across the street! Good thing I brought a copy of my confirmation. I had to show it before we were given another room in the building across the street. This was the first time that I had to show proof to a hotel staff! The beach is also a joke as previously stated by another reviewer! It's a short strip of public beach. Definitely not going back here, especially after our heavenly experience at the Westin Rio Mar, Puerto Rico, which I highly recommend.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to The Condado Plaza Hilton? Share your experiences!