“Great location and price”

The Condado Plaza Hilton
Ranked #24 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
A TripAdvisor Member
“Great location and price”
Reviewed May 14, 2004

Stayed here on my honeymoon and was pleasantly surprised. Paid only $75/night and had a $150.night hotel. They gave us a room with a full balcony and view. 5 minutes to Old San Juan. Great restaurants on the property, 2 pools and no one ever using the gym or tennis courts. The ocean side offers great views. Loved it!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,039)
Reviewed May 14, 2004

We stayed at this hotel from May 10-14th, 2004. The most important thing to note about this hotel is that the website, etc. is incredibly misleading. Here is the deal. Yes, technically, this hotel is on the "beach"...but not really. The area in front of it is 100% rocky, so there is no place to lay out, swim, etc. There hotel is next to and has a gate to a sandy area that is sort of a beach(filled with butts, and bottles, considering it is where the locals go), but is actually a 100% waveless alcove off from the coast area. Therefore, If you want to sit in the sun and jump in the ocean, this is not the place to do it. Go to a hotel in Isla Verde(like the IC), or further down in Condado, like the Marriott. Also, thought the Wyndham is in Condado, it is right at the edge, so its about a 15 min walk to all the upscale shops and resturants..the ones nearby stink (Tony Roma's and Chilis). The swim up bar and pools however, were quite nice.

Reviewed May 13, 2004

This is definitely not a 3 or 4 star hotel.... rooms are comparable to motel rooms. My husband and I stayed here in January, 2004 and waited before writing this review. Got a special deal on the Wyndham website. Checked in and the first thing I noticed was how busy the lobby was. Too crowded! Next was how filthy the carpet was on the corridor and especially in the room given to us. The desk was sticky and the bathroom was small. We were not given the lake view room per our confirmation. When I called the front desk, I was told that for the price I paid, it had to be a city view room. What city view is he talking about!.... it was the building across the street! Good thing I brought a copy of my confirmation. I had to show it before we were given another room in the building across the street. This was the first time that I had to show proof to a hotel staff! The beach is also a joke as previously stated by another reviewer! It's a short strip of public beach. Definitely not going back here, especially after our heavenly experience at the Westin Rio Mar, Puerto Rico, which I highly recommend.

Travelers are raving about these San Juan hotels

Rockville Centre, NY
Reviewed May 2, 2004

This was the second time that I stayed at The Condado Plaza and quite frankly, it seems to be a shell of its former self. The hotel is still lovely, but it is beginning to show its age. The marble floors in the lobby are showing spots of heavy wear and tear. The huge aquarium is a nice touch, but the spacing of the nite club proximity is too close to the telephones. I was trying to make a phone call, and I couldn't hear. I arrived at the hotel on April 29, 2004 around 12:00 p.m. and my room was not ready. I belong to the Wyndham by Request and had requested an oceanview room. I did not get into my room until 3:15 p.m. after several trips to the front desk. They did offer to upgrade me to the Plaza level, however, there were no more oceanview suites. They did offer to put me on the lagoon side, but I opted for the full breakfast buffet vouchers instead. The plaza level comes with a deluxe continental breakfast, but it is not better than the buffet especially for someone with a healthy appetite like myself. The room was nice with a oceanview that was incredible. I could see cruise ships at night on the horizon and parasailing and jetskiing during the day. The breeze never ceased and I slept with the balcony door open every night.The bathroom amenities were more than you ask for. The only problem with the bathroom was when you took a shower, it took a long timefor the water to leave the tub. I did not want to go thru the hassle of asking for another room as I fell in love with the view, so I just imagined I had my feet in the water at the beach. This was a minor problem and did not affect my trip. Speaking of the beach, they have a small one on the side of the hotel, but it is a public beach and the take advantage of it. There is a path to the beach from the gorgeous pool area with security stationed at the entrance to keep anyone who is not a guest from entering the property unless they are with you of course. They have three pools at the hotel, one on the lagoon side and two on the main side. The saltwater pool is 6ft deep , the regular pool is approx 4ft deep with a volleyball net , water slide, and swim up bar. There is a jacuzzi which is nice. All the pools are open 24 hours, so enjoy! The jacuzzi gets a little busy late at night as the weather has cooled off a bit. In the midst of the pools is Las Palmas, a restaurant with reasonably priced snacks and lite meals. It is open and has nice breezes blowing all the time. The swim up bar closes at 12:00 am. There is a separate pool elevator available to guests that they prefer you use from the evening on as they have a certain atmosphere they try to maintain. No swimsuits in the lobby at night. They would prefer use wear slacks for men and appropiate evening wear for the ladies. They are not stuffy but want you dress a little bit at night ( not formal ). The hotel has six restaurants from a deli to a onsite Tony Roma's. The buffet is served at Max's and is not cheap, I had vouchers so I really could not tell you how much it was, but I did hear my friends say between 10 and 15. There is a nice place a few doors down from the hotel that has a great breakfast special for $5.50. The hotel concierge has all the info on the tours which range from 30 - 100.00 . My advice to you is rent a car for at least one day across the street at Charlies and do Puerto Rico your way. Also, I noticed a faint smell of mildew on the hallway carpets which seems to be a problem with a lot of hotels in the carribean. I wish they all had tiles. These are minor things and should not stop you from staying at the Condado.

5 Thank Milt07
Reviewed April 27, 2004

I went to San Juan, PR for the first time. I spent a week at the Wyndham Condado Plaza....it was absolutely wonderful. The service was top quality! My room had a view with a balcony overlooking the atlantic ocean. The food was great there! I traveled all around the Island and visited many places including the country sides. I plan on returning in December 2004 after I return from South Africa.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 27, 2004

This Wyndham is about 15 minutes from the airport and 10 minutes from San Juan. (Great Location). As we drove over the bridge to get to the hotel, my first thought was...I'm not going to like this place. It was on a busy street and the beach (lagoon area) was small and visable from the main road. But that thought didn;t last long. Once I steped outside of the Wyndham, the ocean view was beautiful. The grounds were very well maintained and the hotel and accomadations were great. (be sure to request a room on the ocean side, the lagoon view is quite a walk from everything) The hotel has about 6 different restaurants and a casino. They also have a disco at night. (lots to do). Its location is great because you can walk down the street and go to some great ethnic restaurants which are reasonably priced. There also is a salt water pool, freshwater, and swim up bar. Also a very big hot tub! We met people from all over the world...a very diversified group, all very friendly. The lagoon is a protected one, which means they have shark nets so you don;t have to worry about that. We went in Nov of 03....the water temp was perfect in the lagoon and it was crystal clear. I really liked Puerto Rico, because there was lots to do. The only problem we had was check in. The hotel said that their system was down and no one could check in. They didn;t get this mess fixed until after 3:30. A very long time to wait to get settled especially with a 7am flight. We had been up since 4:30. If you have this problem be persistant, stay in the lobby area and wait....it turned out to be first come first serve...so the people who went to the bar with a free drink voucher they handed out...missed out once the rooms became available. Overall a great place....would go back again.....! Hope you find a wonderful place to stay and hope this review was helpful to you. If you have any questions, feel free to email me.

Reviewed April 10, 2004

We stayed at the Wyndham for 5 nights during Easter week. We got a cheap rate from Priceline. I was a little worried after reading some negative reviews. I must say that we enjoyed our stay thoroughly. The room was spacious and faced the Atlantic. The workers were very friendly and helpful. The property was clean and beautiful. It's true that the beach is small but that is not Wyndham's fault. It is a public Condado beach. The pools were clean and nice. Even the casino was great! I don't understand why anyone would give this hotel a poor review. I would definitely return to the Wyndham Condado hotel and casino.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
#6 of 13 in Isla Verde
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,141 reviews
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort

Been to The Condado Plaza Hilton? Share your experiences!