“This place photographs well, but don't be fooled...”

The Condado Plaza Hilton
Ranked #24 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“This place photographs well, but don't be fooled...”
Reviewed May 7, 2014

This hotel was nice… once. It is in desperate need of some upgrades. The pictures of the rooms on the hotel’s website are nothing like the real thing. Aesthetically, I expected so much more from a Hilton property. They seemed to invest a lot in the lobby, bar and pool/beach areas, but the rooms are seriously lacking. There were some upsides to my stay, however. Here are the pros and cons.

Pros:
1. The lobby area is bright and colorful. There’s a very large fish tank at the entrance with eel, and a baby shark and Lionfish and other tropical fish inside. It would complement the lobby décor so much better, were the coral reef in it not brown and grey and soiled. A small upgrade in some new, more colorful coral would make a big difference!

2. If you need anything, just ask. You’d be surprised what accommodations can be made. We brought back some yummy leftovers from dinner and realized there was no microwave in the room. The maid was servicing our room at the time we decided to eat them, and we asked her where we could heat our food. She did us one better and had another maid bring us a microwave!

3. Hungry? There’s a 24 hour Dennys in the lobby of the tower across the street. It’s not Puerto Rican food, but it’s quick and tasty, and the service is pretty good.

4. The restaurant by the casino (Café Caribe?) has pretty good appetizers. GREAT WINGS! Drinks aren’t bad either, but not very strong and a little pricey. The manager and wait staff there are AWESOME! Very kind and sweet. I was starting to lose my voice and they overheard me tell my friend that a little lemon juice and honey usually help me to get it back. I asked for a slice of the lemon that the manager had just cut; meanwhile, the server went to the back to get me a bottle of honey and a big spoon and said to me “Here is your medicine”. :) It was a really sweet gesture and very much appreciated!

5. AMAZING (private!) BEACH! The water is crystal clear and CLEAN! No trash. There is a wall of rocks that block the big waves from making the water too rough, but there is still a little bit of a current, so don’t venture too far out if you are not a good swimmer. Great place to snorkel too! If you don’t want to go to the fish, no worries…they will likely come to you! Just don’t get in the way during feeding time... We had a few bump into us as we frolicked in the water. They are not afraid of humans, but they won’t hurt you… maybe just startle you a bit.

6. The hotel gift shop is large and has a lot of nice stuff inside. Worth a visit. The inventory definitely has the guest in mind. If you’ve left something and Guest Services cannot provide it, there’s a good chance they have it in there.

7. Beachfront massages! The massage itself was pretty good, but just being outside, feeling the ocean breeze and listening to the crashing waves was enough to make the experience spectacular! Just make sure you are wearing something you are comfortable getting massaged in, and can remove easily. I’m assuming most ladies get massages in bikinis, because the masseur asked if we’d brought our swimsuits to the appointment. A decent pair of bra and panties will suffice, just keep in mind that you are outside and only a few feet from one of the hotel pools (he covers you with a towel during the massage, but you still have to open it enough to lie down on the table). The prices are reasonable, but be sure to bring cash to pay for your service. You CANNOT charge your massage to the room (the masseur is independently contracted to the hotel, not employed by them).
TIP: Be sure to ask the masseur to see his pic of Jean Claude Van Damme. He gave him a massage while he was shooting a movie on location in Puerto Rico and says that Van Damme called him “the best [masseur]i n the world”.

Cons:
1. This hotel is in need of some upgrading. The room is spacious enough but the bathroom is very small. As my friend described it, “So small that you can’t even change your mind, much less your clothes, inside it”. She’s not exaggerating. The bathroom is around the size of an airplane bathroom, plus a shower. It has a sliding, frosted glass door which leaves very little room for privacy. (So make sure you have the TV or the shower on if you have to go to the bathroom with someone else in the room). Our bathroom door did not close all the way because the floorboards by the door were broken and had detached from the wall, prohibiting it from shutting completely.

2.The beds were adequate, but on our last night there, the maid put sheets and pillowcases on the bed that were stained (and the stains looked like they could be either coffee or dried blood. I wasn’t taking the chance, either way.) I called guest services and asked for our sheets and pillow cases to be changed. Instead they sent someone to our room with more towels and washcloths (the one time we actually had enough of them… see the next set of comments below.) I had to call again before the maid was finally sent to change the linens. Since she had just made up the room about 30 minutes before, we tried to assist her by only taking off the soiled linens that needed to be replaced. She came in and stripped off the rest of the linens anyway and she even ripped one sheet in half right in front of us, like she was the Hulk or something! It was evident that she was less than happy to have to do this, but we had no idea what the sheet-ripping was about. We decided to hang out on the balcony (where it was safe!) until she finished changing everything.

3. Each day that the room was cleaned, we were given more than half a dozen clean towels, but only ONE wash cloth. The first night, we thought it was an accident or an oversight. But it kept happening. We called and asked for extra, which were sent fairly promptly, but the next day the maid took the clean ones when she cleaned our room, never replacing them and leaving us again with only one. My advice? Order extra and hide the clean ones somewhere where the maid won’t find them if you don’t want to have to keep calling guest services.

4. If you are a light sleeper, bring earplugs. A lot of riff-raff were staying at the hotel while we were there and it was not uncommon to hear them thundering up and down the halls. The walls are also thin. Sometimes I could hear conversations taking place next door, random knocking, bumping and thumping (which became VERY annoying when I was trying to sleep!), the sound of someone dragging furniture across the floor… One night the guy in the room next to us yelled “I WON SOME MONEY!!!” Annoyed, I yelled back, “CAN I HAVE SOME??” Didn’t hear much from him after that.

5. There are so many places to sit in the lobby and bar areas…. But almost none are near an electrical outlet. Since many people like to check their phones or use their laptops/tablets while they wait for taxis/shuttles to take them where they want to go, it would be nice if the hotel added outlets in the seating areas for guests to be able to charge their devices while they wait.

6. Not sure what the resort fee is for. We went down to the waterfront to go kayaking and were told that we had to pay extra. We also had to pay extra for massages, drinks…. The only things we didn’t have to pay extra for were use of the hammocks and towels. So, I’m still not sure exactly what the fee covers. Since you’re paying for it, make sure you make good use of the pool and beach facilities.

7. Inattentive hotel staff:
-We called at 8:00 a.m. (as they had instructed us to do the day before) to request late check out. They said ok. We went to get breakfast, massages, and then go to the beach only to come back and find that our room key had been deactivated. This would not be a problem if the lobby were only downstairs, but we were staying in the tower across the street and on the other side of the hotel... and we were soaking wet. We were not happy about the sopping wet 10 minute elevator ride and walk (each way) to fix a mistake that they made.

-I had a few errands to run in the city before my return flight home so I asked the doorman to hail me a cab that accepts credit cards, since I was not sure what the fare would be or how long I would need the driver to wait. He hails me a cab and as I get settled in I just happened to ask the driver if he accepts credit cards. He gave me a horrified look and told me no (imagine how uncomfortable THAT situation would have been when it was time to settle up). The doorman was able to hail me another cab quickly, but his inattentiveness could have caused me a serious problem had I not had enough cash to pay my fare.

-We were looking for a place to get massages and read terrible reviews about several of the places near the hotel. We called the Concierge who told us to try the Caribe Hilton. We looked up their reviews, which weren’t much better, and had decided to forego massages altogether. The next day, as we’re walking to the pool, we see a sign right in front of the pool advertising massages AT OUR VERY OWN HOTEL! Why would the Concierge recommend that we go elsewhere, when they offer massages on site?

8. The ATM (or ATH, as they call it in Puerto Rico) in the hotel charges a $5.00 surcharge. Make sure to bring plenty of cash if you want to avoid that fee.

9. Skip the swim up bar. The service is slow and inadequate. I waited 15 minutes to order a drink, even after the bartender has acknowledged me (There were only 2 other people at the bar, who also said they had to wait an impossibly long time to order anything). I asked for a Blue Hawaiian and the bartender gave me a puzzled look. In a thick Spanish accent he says “Blue Hurricane?” (which made in clear that he didn’t understand English…. Not good with so many English speaking guests staying here). I speak Spanish, but before I could ask him again in Spanish, he disappeared. The couple beside us told me that he was looking it up in a drink book (I could have easily told him what was in it, had he asked), so I really wasn’t worried… until he put 2 green drinks in front of me. They weren't bad, but nowhere near what I asked for. They weren't even frozen. I was really uhappy when I got the bill and saw that he charged me $26 for something called a Beso Boricua… something I did not ask for. It’s one thing to not know how to make something… it’s something else entirely to make whatever you feel like, and pass it off to the guest as what was ordered.

Overall, I don’t think I would return to this property. There are much better hotels in Puerto Rico for about the same (or less!) as what I paid. Nevertheless, it was a fairly enjoyable stay.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank msfiyah01
MichelleBurn, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Dear msfiyah01,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at our property. We truly value your comments as they are imperative in helping us improve our services and amenities provided to all of our beloved guests, so thank you for your observations. Regarding our rooms, It seems you booked a standard cit vista room, which is located in our Laguna Wing Tower. Both towers and guestrooms were remodeled back in 2008; an investment of over 70 million dollars. The standard city rooms on Laguna are smaller in square footage, I suggest that if you do plan to give us a second opportunity you look at our superior city vista rooms, which are larger in square footage. I will make sure to share your comments with our staff as we are always actively listening to all of our guests feedback. Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us, but more importantly, for providing us with the opportunity to be of service.

Best regards,

Michelle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,058)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 7, 2014

I would like to preface this review: this is a "strong 3.5". My boyfriend and I decided to come to Puerto Rico for an extended weekend getaway. Overall, everything was really great. The room was clean, our city view also had some ocean and canal views as well, which was a huge bonus. A highlight of the hotel, was when a bellman brought our bags up to room, his name was Daniel. He basically walked us through all the best beaches, and convinced us to try and go to Culebra or Vieques (which was truly out of this world). The other staff, could definitely use some improvement with their customer service skills. Daniel took 5 minutes out of his busy afternoon to walk us through Puerto Rico's "must see items". The concierge was fairly useless- they were not interested in helping us plan perfect days, so much as being a vending machine for available tours.
As other reviewers have said, sitting by the crashing waves at night was amazing, and that is how we chose to wrap up every evening. The 24 hour pool/hot tub was definitely a bonus, as well!
Other pros:
Enterprise rent a car was right next door, also next door was a Denny's (which was an awesome denny's) and a starbuck's!
Taxis were super easy to get, 15.00 taxi ride into Old San Juan
Bus is available right outside of hotel, but we tried waiting for it, ended up waiting for 40 minutes before we caved and got a taxi into OSJ.

Cons-
Service was really not good. Front desk was fine, but our room was not ready until almost 4:45
The gentleman who stored our bags was not friendly at all
Drinks are EXPENSIVE at the bar! they were always good and strong, but very very expensive.
Pool during the day was kind of a frat party. We didn't mind so much, as we used the pool closer to crashing waves and the salt water pool, which was much calmer.

Overall, we would stay here again! My boyfriend and I have traveled quite a bit- done all inclusive resorts, as well as Bed and Breakfasts, and four/five star hotels. This is not really a "resort" it is more of an upscale hotel. They really do try and find ways to charge you for everything- so be cautious of that. However, we were prepared for what to expect here. The location is awesome and if you come into this hotel thinking, it is a hotel, and not a 5 star all inclusive resort, you will not be disappointed.

Enjoy Puerto Rico! We can't wait to come back!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank laurenbf
Dear laurenbf,

Hi There! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback! I do hope that if travel brings you back to our beautiful Puerto Rico you consider staying with us, you may contact me directly at michelle.burn@hilton.com; I will be delighted to assist.

See you soon! At your service,

Boca Raton
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Where to begin.. advice upgrade the staff and the hotel needs a makeover. It seems like Customer Service and just good old manners were not a requirement to get a job here. Regina at the main pool was great.

Room Tip: Get one that has a working phone and a cover for its ironing board ..many request no one corrected t...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Julissa F
Dear Julissa F,

Thank you for your review. I’m sorry to read that you had a situation with some of our team members, and I am very sorry about that. I truly value your comments and I would greatly appreciate you contacting me to discuss in detail what happened during your stay so I can communicate this to my fellow department heads and address any unresolved issue you experienced while staying with us. We are truly committed to ensuring all our guests feel cared for, valued and respected. Thank you for choosing to stay with us; if you wish to contact me you may do so via email at michelle.burn@hilton.com.

Always at your service; best,

Augusta, Georgia
Reviewed May 6, 2014

This hotel was awesome. The customer service from the time we drove up and check-in was outstanding. We had booked this hotel at the last minute while in Puerto Rico. We were at the Gran Melia in Puerto Rico but the service and the accommodation was terrible, that we decided to find another hotel. We were very lucky that the Condado Plaza Hilton had a room available for the 2 nights we needed. When we called the lady was very pleasant and helpful and also inquired if we needed a crib for my granddaughter at no extra charge. I found the price to be very reasonable for the area and the location. It was very close to many shops, restaurants, beaches etc.

Upon check in the receptionist went over all the amenities that were available at the hotel and also some things to do in San Juan. She even asked if we decided if we want the crib and we stated yes. Upon arriving to our room the crib was already in the room and before I could even close the door the gentleman arrived with our luggage and went over everything in the room and asked us if we had any questions on things in the hotel or outside of the hotel.

It was such a blessing and a breath of fresh air to come to a hotel where the service and accommodations was excellent. I was very surprised since we had arrived very late. Room service is not provided, however you can call several of the restaurants they had in the book in the room to order and was available for pickup within 15-20 mins. We did not mind doing this, plus the variety of food available from the various eating establishments was really good and reasonable.

I highly recommend this hotel for those who want to stay in an area that is close the many attractions, Old San Juan, and many shops and restaurants.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
MichelleBurn, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Dear Vega_yv,

Hi there! Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I am very content to read that your received outstanding service since the moment you drove up! Thank you for you candid review, and for providing us an opportunity to serve you and your family. Please know that we are at your disposition should you wish to visit us in the near future. If you wish, you may contact me directly via email at michelle.burn@hilton.com.

Best regards,

San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed May 6, 2014

Best thing about this hotel is the atmosphere. The whole complex has an upscale modern feel to all parts of the hotel. The remodel they did is great (looks older from the outside). We stayed in the main building by the ocean 8th floor, but facing the city and bay. It was towards the end of the building where the pool and small lagoon/beach was located, which was great since every hallway had an outdoor balcony at the end with an elevator that took you directly to the pool area! The view were incredible from these balconies at the hallways. Note, there are two separate buildings for this hotel, one on the ocean, other across the street on the bay connected on the second on level with a enclosed large walkway. Both seemed to be styled the same. The ocean building has most the amenities and views. The rooms were on the small side but very modern and chic as well as the bathrooms with a shower in the middle of the room (no bath). They only thing missing was a microwave, everything else was included. Each room has a private balcony as well. The pool area was also fun, with great club music playing and located next the beach with 2 for 1 happy hour(ask hotel for details). The beach was small but nice, great for swimming/ floating since it is protected from waves by rocks to one side, very picturesque. The is also a green lawn with chairs and hammocks facing the open ocean if you just want to sit and hear the ocean crashing of the rock wall. That all said, while we got a good rate the a many taxes and fees added on, so bill tends to add up. This place is best for people who don't need to be on the other main beaches in San Juan, and can enjoy being on one resort for all their needs. It is on the small side of the major resorts yet has all you need to have fun, even a casino. We all really wanted to stay longer(wife, child, and grandma) but had reservation at other hotels. Last note, this hotel is away from the all the other main beaches in san Juan, it is a 10-15 minute walk if you want to start to experience the open beaches with larger waves and surf and locals.

Room Tip: Again if you don't have an ocean view room ask for a room in the main building facing the bay on...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank 10197701
Dear 10197701,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent visit, I am really pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you again for your comments, and most importantly for choosing to stay with us! Please feel free to contact me at michelle.burn@hilton.com should you wish to visit us again; we would love the pleasure of welcoming you once more to our much-loved Condado Plaza Hilton!

At your service,

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 6, 2014

We purchased this package from Priceline, to include flight/rental car. We knew there be resort fees, however to charge us the resort fees and also the use of the gym/pool/car parking, that was unprofessional. Add to it rude customer service, and a concierge who didn't want to help you get around. Overall it was fine - but when we had to choose between getting a work out in or simply relaxing in the pool.
Having a room on the lagoon side meant after 20 minutes of A/C the room would start to smell like swampy, from the lagoon. The bars were of course over priced and the drinks weren't that great. We spent 9 days here, the less we spent it at the hotel the better it was.

Room Tip: Stay on the ocean side of the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank B E
Dear B E,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel. First of all let me start by congratulating you on your marriage! I am disappointed to read that your stay was not to your standards; as always, I am actively listening and sharing our customers’’ feedback to ensure we continue striving to provide all of our beloved guests with the top notch service, respect, and care they deserve. I do sincerely hope that if travel brings you back to our beloved Condado Plaza, you consider giving us a second opportunity. Thank you very much for your comments and for providing us with the opportunity to be of service. Wishing you and your spouse all the health and happiness in the world; congratulations!

Best wishes,

Delta Township
Reviewed May 6, 2014 via mobile

We had a great time. Beautiful views from our ocean view room. Great workout facilities. Great pools. The staff is fabulous. Love the swim up bar at Aqua. We stayed seven days had a great time every day. We would highly recommend this resort to anyone

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank 1PuertoRico
Dear DeltaTownship,

Thank you for your comments, I am happy to know that you had a great time while staying with us! Thank you very much for your business, we are at your service should you wish to visit us in the near future! All the best,

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Juan
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort
Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to The Condado Plaza Hilton? Share your experiences!