“Business Trip”

The Condado Plaza Hilton
Ranked #24 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed March 25, 2014

A very fine hotel, prices fluctuate a lot, but it has everything for me. Location is excellent. Restaurantes are good, with Starbucks there makes it a lot easier in the morning! Rooms are excellent, all renew and very nice. internet works super well and fast. Noisy at times, during night, but is normal there, busy hotel always. Very nice lobby. My choice when in San Juan always.

Room Tip: High Floor and Ocean Vierw
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
MichelleBurn, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2014

Dear Jose C,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review! I am super contented to read that we are your choice when travelling to San Juan. We thank you very much for your business and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back at our beloved Condado Plaza Hilton.

At your service,

Reviewed March 25, 2014

I stayed at the Condado Plaza with a group for a weekend conference. I was in charge of reservation/payment for 4 rooms and had several lousy customer service experiences, all related to reservation/billing.

The hotel itself is quite nice, with an awesome pool area and great beach with snorkeling area just outside the hotel property.

The room fee structure is ridiculous in the sense that there is a $32 "resort fee" per day, an automatic "maid gratuity" of $1 per day (regardless of whether you actually use cleaning services that day) and a one-time "porter fee" of $10.50. So, be careful when you compare room rates for this place with surrounding hotels, which don't necessarily have these charges. We stayed at the San Juan Beach Hotel also during this trip, and there were no hidden fees at all.

Experience with front-desk staff on check-in and check-out was nothing short of horrendous:

1) When one of my group members checked in, the front-desk staff erroneously claimed that the reservation for her room was only for one night and requested that she pay for the second night then and there; this was complete nonsense, but I had to go to the front desk myself to get things cleared up.

2) On the last day, the bill was not delivered to my room, so that I only spotted the major billing issues upon check-out.

3) The hotel tried to overcharge me $700 (they did not subtract pre-paid deposits for 3 out of the 4 rooms from the bill total). It took them 25 minutes to figure this out (in spite of my attempts to explain exactly what was happening, incl. pulling up my online CC statement). Finally, a manager issued a refund to my credit card for $700.

4) Problem solved? Sort of, but not really. When I got home, I found out that the charge (incl. that $700 overcharge) was on my CC statement immediately, but no signs of a refund... Called the hotel and finally managed to talk to a manager: she told me that charges are immediate, but that refunds take "between 72 hours and 2 weeks".

Most surprising aspect of this story: all the reservations had been made though the Hilton online reservation system; the screw-ups were all courtesy of local staff.

1  Thank VB_ATLGA

Dear VB_ATLGA

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your business stay at our beloved Condado Plaza Hilton. Thank you for your kind comments regarding our property. I do understand you had some misunderstanding with our Front Office Department and I sincerely apologize for this. If you wish to discuss your review further please feel free to contact me at michelle.burn@hilton.com as I will be delighted to assist.

Thank you very much for your business; at your service,

Reviewed March 25, 2014

I recently when to the Condado Plaza Hilton to get away from the cold. The staff was excellent to work with and got me into the excursion I wanted to go with my daughter. The pool area is very nice with a regular pool, salt water pool, and jacuzzi. The drinks are expensive but nice to have on those beautiful warm days. There is a small but nice beach area next to the pool. The location is great for getting to Old San Juan or to restaurants around San Juan. The room was ok, but view was not great...better to get room with ocean view. I am Diamond and they were full up so no room upgrade. Breakfast at the hotel is ok, but only $7 given towards breakfast for Diamond member so still cost to get regular breakfast with eggs and bacon. The casino needs major updating with better choices down the street. However, overall it was very nice and I would go back.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Gregory M

Dear Gregory M,

Thank you for taking the time to share your candid review! I am contented to read that 1. You were able to escape the cold, 2. That you found our staff excellent, and most importantly, you were able to enjoy the excursion you wanted to go with your daughter. I am sorry that we were not able to upgrade you to the Oceanside; we are very much grateful for the opportunity to serve you, and most importantly, for your loyalty to our beloved Hilton Brand. Thank you for choosing to stay with us, and if you wish to escape the cold once more, feel free to contact me at michelle.burn@hilton.com on your next visit to Puerto Rico, we would love to welcome you again at our beautiful Condado Plaza!

At your service,

Reviewed March 24, 2014

Good location and staff are very friendly. Rooms are nice. Could use more restaurant options but being close to San Juan and other attractions, there are many other options. Never enough staff at front desk.

Dear Diane D,

Thank you for your review and for providing us with the opportunity to serve you. Should travel bring you back to our sunny Puerto Rico, please feel free to contact me at michelle.burn@hilton.com; we look forward to seeing you again!

Best,

Reviewed March 23, 2014

A very fine hotel, reasonably priced (esp. mid-week) that has everything: several restaurants (including Starbucks and Denny's), two pools (one with swim-up bar), large hot tub, beach, casino and, for a little more, oceanfront terraces. Several other restaurants were just a few blocks down Ashford. The terraces were very private and we enjoyed our coffee there every morning. Room was very spacious and clean, recently updated, and had an enormous bathroom with large glass-enclosed shower. We loved it! We stayed in the Atlantic-facing tower (the second tower faces the quieter lagoon). Our building had the restaurants and casino, the other had Denny's and conference center facilities. Buildings are joined by a second floor connecting passage over Ashford Avenue. We are definitely returning there for our next PR holiday! Make sure to have a pina colada at the poolside bar - awesome!!

Room Tip: Atlantic facing rooms with terraces are the best!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank German B

Dear German B,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay with us in San Juan. I am cheerful to read that you enjoyed your stay! Should you plan your next visit to our hotel, please contact me at michelle.burn@hilton.com, I will be delighted to assist. Thank you for choosing to stay at The Condado Plaza Hilton, we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again soon!

All the best,

Reviewed March 23, 2014

Great pool area, fresh and salt water pools. Beach area is a shared public beach. Spacious room, large bath, large balcony on ocean view room, great for morning coffee or afternoon/evening drinks. Refrigerator in bathroom to store food and drinks. Short commute to airport and port. Walkable to shopping and restaurants.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed March 23, 2014

This was a great hotel. Good Location in San Juan close to beach and night life activities. Hotel had great food, casino and more. The rooms were quiet and included great view of ocean. The staff was very polite and helpful.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends