“Adequate stay in San Juan”

The Condado Plaza Hilton
Ranked #22 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed March 14, 2014

We arrived late to find that hotel had botched our reservation (rooms that were supposed to be nearby were in different towers). Rooms we got instead were adequate but not worth the price. Hotel is filled with boisterous people who appear to getting a headstart on their cruise ship revelry. Beach is fine, a bit crowded. There must be better choices.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank TexasKami
MichelleBurn, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

Dear Texas Kami,

Hi there, thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at our beloved Condado Plaza. I am sorry that the rooms you booked were located in different towers; it might have been that the room types were different. I do apologize if this caused you an inconvenience. Yes, we have been receiving a lot of pre and post cruise stays, and everyone around is very excited to be in town and have a good time, after all, we are in the beautiful, sunny island of Puerto Rico!

I do invite you to contact me on your next visit to our island, I’d be more than happy to offer some advice on good places to stay. If you wish, my email is michelle.burn@hilton.com. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for providing us with the opportunity to serve.

All the best,

Michelle

Write a ReviewReviews (4,931)

Reviewed March 14, 2014

At the resort March 5th - March 11th. IMHO, pay no attention to so many of the negative reviews and "nit-picking" comments, The people at the front desk were pleasant, kind and helpful. Had oceanview and it was just beautiful. Experienced no long waits for drinks at the pool. Rooms were clean and quite roomy. The hotel employees had smiles on their faces and were most accommodating. All in all... we had a great stay at the Condado Hilton and would most definitely return.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jazzman
MichelleBurn, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Dear Jazzman,

Hi there! Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I am very happy and grateful to read that you had a great stay! If travel brings you back around the area please feel free to contact me directly at michelle.burn@hilton.com! Thank you very much for choosing to stay at The Condado Plaza Hilton, we hope to welcome you again soon!

Reviewed March 14, 2014

My family of 4 visited Puerto Rico to attend a wedding. The bride & groom got a package deal at this hotel, so there was really no shopping around on our part for where to stay. I read many reviews prior to my stay at the Condado Plaza Hilton, and have to admit I was a little nervous about how it would go. I was extremely, pleasantly, suprised! The rooms and grounds were beautiful. Manager Michelle is definitely your go to person with any questions or concerns, and she delivers on all her promises and then some. If we ever return to San Juan, will definitely stay here again. Thanks so much Michelle, you MADE our vacation.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
3  Thank Linda K

Dear Linda K,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel. Thank you very much for giving us the opportunity to serve you and for trusting my word when I said everything would be great! Thanks again for taking the time to share your review and for choosing to stay at The Condado Plaza Hilton. I hope to see you again soon!

Best,

Reviewed March 13, 2014

Unfortunately this property is dated and probably neglected bf Hilton bought it. Can't cover up the dingy carpets, upholstery, dated furnishings and lack of life. It's hard to find your way around the split property, the beach is not private (acceptable); the pools are drab as is entire hotel. If we had been able to understand this we would have stayed at Hilton Caribe.

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Jennifer L
MichelleBurn, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2014

Dear Jennifer L,

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay at our property. I am sad to read that your stay was not up to standards. Our hotel is a beautiful landmark boasting with history and culture. Our hotel was built back in 1963, and most recently, in 2008 renovated with an estimated investment of over 70 million dollars on revamping all guest rooms, meeting rooms, and public spaces. I do hope that you give our brand a second opportunity and choose to stay at one of our beloved sister properties. Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us and for providing us with the opportunity to serve you.

Best regards,

Reviewed March 13, 2014

Stayed 3/4-3/10/14. After reading some negative reviews, I wanted to share my positive story since I use tripadvisor a lot to decide which hotel to book. Before going, I emailed the hotel manager Michelle who was very helpful and directed me to the concierge to make reservations for tour. The concierge is super helpful so contact them for suggestions if you are lookng for ideas. The hotel property is in a great location in the condado area and has nice beach area. My friend and I stayed on the 9th floor facing the bay. I loved that there was a Denny's on the hotel for a quick breakfast before we went on our tours. There are a lot of great puerto rican restaurants in the area within walking distance so don't limit yourself to the hotel food. I was nervous about renting a car and driving around the island after reading bad reviews about driving in Puerto Rico, but so glad we did it. Driving was easy, however the streets may be a little tricky to navigate, but if you use google map and turn when it tells you to turn instead of looking at the street name since it's in Spanish, you will be fine. There is an Enterprise across the street from the hotel and a starbucks so very convenient to rent a car and while you wait, grab a coffee. I did a cave rappelling tour and LOVE it! The cave rappelling tour was one of the highlight of my trip. We walked to the other hotels at night for their live entertainment and then back to the peace and quiet of our hotel at night. This is a great hotel and very conveniet along with nice amenities. Book your stay here and don't believe all the bad reviews. We really did not stay in our hotel much except to come and sleep at night and get ready to go out. Cab rides are a little expensive so if you want to go to old San Juan, catch the bus right in front of the beach for $.75 and that will take you straight to old San Juan. While in old San Juan, catch the free trolley to get a lay of the land and then walk every where. Bring comfortable shoes so you can explore all of old San Juan. At night, the Condado area is the best place for live entertainment. However, if you are looking for a crowd, things don't start picking up until Thursday. I would most def go back to Puerto Rico to explore parts I was not able see since you can't possibly see everything in one week. If you can, rent a car and catch the ferry to either Viequez or Cullebra and go to Flamenco Beach for the day. We didn't get to do that, but I will for sure do it next time. Puerto Rico is a fun place, great food and amazing weather!!

Room Tip: If you can upgrade to an ocean view, but to be honest, we didn't spend a lot of time in our room...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank travelingsisters05
Reviewed March 12, 2014

We stayed here prior to leaving on a cruise. The hotel was very comfortable and it was close to everything. We were within walking distance of stores for the items that we forgot to pack. There were four of us so we stayed in a junior suite which was located across from the main hotel with a street view. The door men were very helpfull in getting us a cab when we need to go into old San Juan for a dinner tour. We had asked them about what time we needed to get one since there is so much traffic at night earier in the day and the timing worked out perfect. I would definatley recommend staying here pre or post cruise or even a weekend.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
MichelleBurn, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

Dear Rippdog,

Hi there! Thanks for sharing your review! I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay. I will definitely go ahead and congratulate our bell staff! I invite you to contact me should you wish to visit our hotel again; you may reach me at michelle.burn@hilton.com. Thank you very much for choosing to stay at The Condado Plaza Hilton, we hope to see you again!

Best regards,

Reviewed March 12, 2014

Staying here this coming Friday with my girlfriend, I'm planning to ask the big question and emailed the Guest Relation Manager that posts on this site, Michelle, to make sure that everything goes smoothly since the reviews are pretty mixed. I hope that we DO get the Ocean Room we have reserved since it's a pretty important weekend and that we don't run into issues while checkin in. Will be updating the review once we are back.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear SIR1974,

Thank you very much for taking the time to contact me, I do greatly appreciate the opportunity you have provided me to be of assistance, moreover, that you are choosing to stay with us. We both know at times we get some negative reviews as a result of occasional imperfections, but believe me, we try hard, and I take a lot of time and dedication to reply honestly to each review. We do have a gorgeous hotel, and we deeply care about our staff, therefore, we are confident we should continue to receive more positive reviews; if we do not get them, that does not stop us and we continue trying! So thank you very much for providing us with the opportunity to serve you in your upcoming stay.

I invite you to contact me directly at the hotel, or via email at michelle.burn@hilton.com as I will be delighted to assist in making your stay a memorable one.

At your service; best regards,