“Perfect Choice for a Pre-Cruise Stay”

The Condado Plaza Hilton
Ranked #23 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed February 11, 2014

We stayed at the Condado Plaza for one night before leaving on a cruise the following morning. From check-in to check out, the service was friendly and excellent. Though this has been cited as a problem by previous reviewers, it was not an issue at all for us.

Our room was clean and functional, if a bit dated. I am a Hilton Honors Gold member and was upgraded at check-in to an ocean view room upon request.

Even though we did not use it, the pool area looked very nice and was large enough to accommodate guests even though the hotel was pretty full due to two cruise ships scheduled to depart the next morning. Note that the hotel does not have a private beach, though it is located directly adjacent to the Condado Bay public facility.

The hotel is seriously in need of a face lift and a major updating, which is the only reason I did not give it a 5 rating.

Room Tip: As for an ocean view room on a higher floor for a great view of the Condado coast.
1  Thank Marclaw
There are newer reviews for The Condado Plaza Hilton

Reviewed February 11, 2014

We stayed one night post cruise but have stayed here many times before also. We love the location as it is a short 75cent bus ride to Old San Juan or you can talk a stroll further into the Condado area - the best of both worlds. Rooms are spacious and the ones with balcony facing the ocean are beautiful, Although check in is not til 4pm, we were in our room by 1pm. They really do their best to get you in asap, unlike the other Hilton which never seems to get you in before 3pm.
There is a Starbucks right off the lobby area, with an outside entrance, and a Denny's directly across the street for a quick breakfast. They also have a great pool bar area serving drinks and meals.
There are 2 pools, one saltwater, and lots of loungers available so it never feels crowded. Direct access to the beach also.

Room Tip: balcony room facing ocean are great
1  Thank melbur
Reviewed February 9, 2014

I arrived at the hotel at 4am. I was aware check in was 4pm but I was exhausted and to my surprise I was welcomed and put in a room. I was truly grateful. The room was beautiful, very clean, the bed was spacious and comfortable the bathroom was amazing. The feature I loved most was the balcony. My room overlooked the beach. It was so quiet and peaceful. The staff were courteous. I had no issues with billing but I do suggest to keep the receipts for parking. They will be your proof and it is requested when you finalize the bill. Other than that awesome hotel. Very pleased and will definitely return.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank C V
ConradSanJuan, General Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

Dear C V in New York: thank you very much for your kind comments; I am glad we were able to accommodate you as soon as you arrived early in the morning. We are happy to know you found our beds spacious and comfortable, and the bathroom amazing. My staff will love your comment about them. I take note of your comment regarding the parking receipts; thank you for bringing this to our attention. Thank you again for your kind comments; we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed February 9, 2014

We stayed at the Hilton one night pre cruise. We had taken a red eye from Boston and we were not really sure what we were going to do until the 4:00pm check in time. We were very excited when we went to check in at 5:00 AM that they gave us our room, yay we could get a few hours of shut eye!! The staff,resort,pools,and beach were all wonderful. We would absolutely recommend this hotel.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
2  Thank nanmui

Dear guest: thank you for your very kind comments about your stay; I am very glad to know that we were able to give you your room at 05:00AM. My staff and I appreciate you recommending our beautiful hotel; we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed February 8, 2014

We stayed here recently. Our room was updated and brand new in a contemporary and sophisticated style. The bathroom was ENORMOUS! We overlooked the ocean and WOW, what a view. Keep your door open at night and the sounds of the ocean will lull you to sleep almost immediately. There was an in room safe; coffee maker, refrigerator, and lots of closet space. More than enough towels. Sheets and blankets were comfortable as well.

The Restaurant was so so..........not really high end, but we had a car so we went to Old San Juan and ate at several nice restaurants and one evening we drove to the El San Juan hotel and ate there. Very nice hotel in the old style of San Juan. There is a Denny's directly across the street from the hotel and it is accessible by an airwalk from the second floor. There is also a Starbuck's right outside the entrance to the hotel.

The two pools at the hotel are well kept. One is a salt water pool from the ocean and the other a traditional chlorine treated pool. There is also a "hot tub/pool". Adjacent to the pool area is a small sandy beach where you can swim in the calm lagoon. There is no direct access to the ocean as it appears it would be too dangerous. But don't let this deter you.

This is an excellent hotel for people such as myself in New England. We can get a flight non stop from Hartford to San Juan and it only takes 3 and a half hours......we went down early on Thursday morning and returned late on Monday night. What a great getaway from all the snow we have had here.

I recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view..........pay the additional per night rate......it is well worth it.
4  Thank shoe0211

Dear guest: thank you very much for your kind comments; my staff and I appreciate these very much. How good to know you found our hotel excellent, and that the view deserved a WOW! It certainly is beautiful overlooking the ocean. The calm water of our protected beach is one of our assets, particularly for children, where they can enjoy the artificial reef with the colorful tropical fish. I am sorry you did not visit "Pikayo," our fine dinning room; this, in my opinion, is one of the best restaurants in San Juan. Next time! Sincerely,

Reviewed February 8, 2014

From the moment we checked in at the front desk, I knew this was going to be a wonderful time. Our room was ready (at about 1:00 p.m.!) and Marisol (hope I spelled it correctly) was just a joy...polite, helpful, constantly smiling. The gentleman who brought our luggage to the room was equally pleasant.

The ocean view room (#324) was just great...very clean, good size, great view (although next January we will try and stay in a higher room (724/824...) to have less of a view of the roof below.

The constant maintenance (cutting the grass, painting touch-ups, cleaning and disinfecting, sweeping, ...) was a joy to see. I know how hard it must be to keep up such a large and older property. Everyone does an amazing job.

The entire staff, from the people holding the front doors to the simply wonderful woman at the Concierge Desk (she knows everything!!), from those giving out wrist bands and towels to the pool staff and security/beach guards, from the bartenders to the people who serve the food and drinks poolside (especially Yelenti--spelling?), were just amazing! Never seen so many happy, courteous, and helpful people in one hotel!

The pools/beach were just perfect...always enough chairs/umbrellas, helpful staff, good music (except for a few days when the system was down).

The restaurants were great, from breakfast (in the restaurant and by the pool) to the noodle bar. Didn't get to try Pikayo, but will next year! Having Starbucks and Enterprise right there was so nice...and everyone was, again, so pleasant and helpful.

Most of all, for us, the location was just great. We are folks who walk and hike a lot, so being able to walk the Condado and the beaches, or being able to walk to Old San Juan (which we did on 3-4 occasions), was just a delight. And being able to do NOTHING was not bad, either!

1  Thank SLSK2014

Dear guest: thank you for your very kind comments; my staff and I appreciate these very much. You certainly spelled Marisol's name correctly; I will personally thank her for her kindness with you. I am glad you noticed the tender care of our staff in keeping our property well maintained; cleanliness and maintenance are the fundamentals of the best hotels; thank you for noticing it. I also appreciate that you found our Concierge lady wonderful; I will let her know. Again, thank you for enjoying our pools, bars and restaurants; for my staff and I it was a pleasure to serve you.

Reviewed February 7, 2014

This hotel is located in a very nice area of San Juan (Condado). It is also fairly easy to get to Old San Juan via Taxi ($14) or by walking (2.5 miles). Hotel/room was clean and modern. We had a Lagoon View room from which the view is fine but our friends had an ocean view room (much better). In the lobby, there is a very active and fun hotel bar. The bar staff is very friendly, fun and will give you tips on things to do or see. Also, the concierge service is very cordial and helpful. There is a safe, fridge, iron/ironing board, hairdryer in the rooms. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Choose an ocean view room.
4  Thank SurfRider911

Dear SurfRider911: my staff and I appreciate your visit, and thank you for your positive comments. I am glad you liked the lagoon view; this is very relaxing, and you can enjoy the beautiful sunset. Even though the ocean side is also beautiful, at night you cannot appreciate much, contrary to your lagoon view, which also offers a beautiful view of San Juan's skyline. It is good to know you found our bar active and fun, and our Concierge cordial and helpful. Thank you again; we look forward to your next visit!

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Juan
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel

Been to The Condado Plaza Hilton? Share your experiences!