“Beautiful hotel in the City”

The Condado Plaza Hilton
Ranked #24 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Beautiful hotel in the City”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

My wife and I just spent 5 days in San Juan at the Condado Plaza Hilton. This is a beautiful hotel right on the ocean in the Condado Area of San Juan. The hotel is very modern and the lobby is not as grand as some. The neighborhood, however, is very safe and it is an easy walk to shopping. It is also very easy to hop on the bus to head down to Old San Juan. Be aware that the bus route circles the convention center which is a little out of the way, but still its only a 15 minute ride to the old city.

Our room: definitely opt for the ocean view. It is stunning. The room itself is average but comfortable. Wifi is excellent. to be aware that there is a $27/day resort fee. Not really sure what this covers other than wifi and towels at the pool. We only had one on our last night where our room was never cleaned after being out and about for most of the day.

Restaurants: We ate at Pikayo, Caribe Cafe, and Starbucks. Pikayo is excellent but a little pricy. The cafe is standard. I would venture out to restaurants within a few minutes walk.

Pools and Grounds: Again, stunning. Keep in mind though, most of the grounds are on the rocks facing the Atlantic. There is a small cove with a beautiful beach though with some pretty good snorkling. The pools (especially the main pool with a slide) are great. However, they only get sun for about 3 hours a day during November. Keep this in mind. The best option is a secluded pool on the lagoon side of the hotel that is beautiful, quite, with a 9 foot pool. Only issue there is that there is no bartender.

All in all, it was a great stay. We did walk to the Caribe Hilton across the Dos Hermanos bridge. Only about a 10 minute walk. That hotel is more of a resort with amazing pools and a larger beach. Would consider there is looking for less of an urban feel to a hotel.

Room Tip: Ocean view or lagoon view is a must. Keep in mind though at night you cannot see anything on the oc...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,023)
Montpelier, Virginia
Reviewed December 1, 2013

We went to Puerto Rico for a basketball tournament and the package accommodations were at the Condado Plaza. When we arrived in our room, late at night, everything was unplugged and not where they should have been located. There was one lamp and it was on the desk. I had to climb under the desk to untie the cord that was knotted and tied to things under the desk. The tv had to be moved closer to an outlet so it could be used. The chair in the room had a lot of stains and was very uncomfortable. There were other things missing from the room as well. I spoke to the front desk and some things were taken care of very quickly, but not all. The hotel looked very tired. The setting was beautiful, the pools were very nice and the terrace overlooking the ocean was very peaceful. The hotel is within walking distance of a lot of restaurants and a little shopping. I would not rush back to this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Villa Park, CA
Reviewed November 30, 2013

We selected this hotel for 2 days at the start of our 15th Wedding Anniversary Caribbean Cruise. It truly exceeded our expectations. The location is right on the ocean. We had booked our stay in the lagoon tower but were graciously upgraded into the ocean tower. The views from this side are beautiful and we truly enjoyed having coffee every morning on the balcony overlooking the well-kept grounds and amazing blue sea. This hotel has a very modern appearance as did our upscale looking room. White marble floors, red walls, nice lighting and a king sized heavenly bed. The bathroom is also quite spacious with an all-glass shower cube standing in the center of the area. That was a first. We spent one day in the pool with swim-up bar/water slide and another on their private beach. Contrary to some of the previous reports we had read here, we had a terrific stay at the Condado San Juan Hilton. The staff members at the beach and in the hotel were friendly and helpful, the grounds are expansive/ocean front and perfect for a romantic stroll with your significant other. There are many shops and restaurants within walking distance and the bus to Old San Juan stops right out front of the hotel (75 cents/a short ride and a nice way to see the city). A stand out memory for us was our anniversary dinner in their terrific restaurant Pikayo. The food was amazing and beautifully presented and the service is exceptional. One of the best dinners we have ever experienced! A personal thank you to Mr. Raul Bustamante, the General Manager of this property whom we had the pleasure to meet. We certainly look forward to a return visit.

1 Thank KapaluaBlue
MichelleBurn, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Dear KapaluaBlue,

Hi there! Thank you very much for your candid review!

Many Congratulations on your Anniversary; we are very happy and grateful for the opportunity to serve you. We hope to see you again in the near future! If you ever wish to visit us again, please feel free to contact me at michelle.burn@hilton.com, or to Mr. Bustamante at raul.bustamante@hilton.com; we will be thrilled to welcome you again at the Condado Plaza Hilton!

Happy Holidays; best regards,

Michelle Burn
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 30, 2013

The Condado Plaza is formed of two buildings joined together by an enclosed walkway over the coast road...this was not a problem. It does however give an indication of best located rooms depending on preference: rooms facing the sea, rooms facing the lagoon, then the rooms facing each other across the road .Even the road facing rooms have a sideways view of the sea.
The buildings are not new but are superficially attractive. Age does show in places. Our room was spotlessly clean ,spacious, tastefully decorated and full of all the usual Hilton trimmings. Our room had a large shower but no bath.
The pool area was particularly pleasant, with access to a sheltered cove where snorkel swimming was popular. The pool bar (with swim-up area) was fun but expensive...food was available.
Wi-Fi was free and available but of variable strength. There is a "Dennys" restaurant on ground level of the lagoon building..our favourite place for tasty and inexpensive breakfasts..Wi-Fi signal was strong here.
There is a Casino on the mez level of the ocean building.
A FEW TIPS ON SAN JUAN. There is a bus stop outside the hotel (Nos 21 and 52) with buses running very approx. on the hour and the half hour. Fare is 75cents and free if you are over 65. The bus terminus in San Juan has a trolley stop just outside. This trolley is free (is hop on hop off) and takes you all around old San Juan, including all of the fortifications. The trolley stops beside pier 2 where you can catch a free ferry (every 30 mins) to the Bacardi distillery (entry free) for a conducted tour. There was a tour offer from the hotel for $64 pp to the distillery and some time in the old town.
Taxi are regulated..airport to Hotel around $22
I save the worst to last...the two lifts(elevators) serving the lagoon building were unreliable and with a mind of their own..we spent a long time trying to reach the10th floor on more than one occasion.
We enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: I suggest a sea view facing East or a lagoon view facing West
1 Thank G4CHP
Dear G4CHP,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review!

I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay! Yes, we have two towers; one overlooking the Condado Lagoon, and the other overlooking the Oceanside: this is one of the biggest advantages our hotel offers. Panoramic views and direct access to both the Condado lagoon and the Atlantic Ocean. We do have bathtubs available in a number of our suites, and I’m sorry if this caused an inconvenience during your stay. Our pool area was recently refurbished, as well as our main pool, salt water pool, and toddler’s pool. In regards to our Elevators over at the Lagoon Tower, I will go ahead and share your observations with our Director of Engineering.

Again, thank you for your review and for the opportunity to be of service. If travel brings you around the area please feel free to contact me at michelle.burn@hilton.com; I will be delighted to assist!

Happy Holidays; all the best,

Michelle
Towson, Maryland
Reviewed November 30, 2013

I had a one-night stay, post-cruise in October 2013. My travel agent arranged a group rate of $139, which was fine. I am a Hilton Honor member (though I rarely stay at Hiltons), but I called the toll-free number and had my Honors membership added to my reservation in advance. That turned out to be a smart move.

The hotel lobby was jammed and chaotic at 10am, with several groups arriving. It seemed to take most people checking in at least 10-15 minutes with the front desk staff, which seemed a ridiculous amount of time. The staff were definitely moving on island time. Most people were told there were no rooms ready, so the lobby jam continued. Here's where the loyalty program number paid off - since I was Honors, I was able to get an upgraded room immediately - a corner King, with a pool view. Beautiful room, comfy bed and great bathroom.

The elevators were kind of slow - there were only two in the immediate lobby, and the one serving the far end of the building to the pool area was out of service. The pool are was lovely, and the views of the ocean were very nice.

I didn't leave the property, and had lunch, dinner and breakfast onsite. The meals were excellent, though expensive by my standards. Carry-out chinese (sesame chicken, eggs rolls and rice) came to $27, for example. But - to their credit - it was fresh and tasty, and generous portions. One downside - no room service is available.

I had been warned about the resort fee, but I was unprepared for the add-ons - porterage (no one offered to move bags), and a maid gratuity on the bill. So, not counting meals, the basic cost of the $139 was actually over $185. Those extras aren't disclosed anywhere that I found, so kind of annoying. Not the end of the world, but like other writers, I do prefer to know in advance what the bill will be.

All in all, nice enough. But I don't really enjoy San Juan, and except for cruising won't be back.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank vivavino
Mitchellville, Maryland
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Beware of hidden costs at Hilton in San Juan. I was given a total price on my reservation confirmation. When I checked out, my bill was two hundred dollars more than the total I was given. They charged me for a resort fee an tax and when I asked what the resort fee was, I was told wi-fi, pool, tennis court etc. I did not use any of these amenities during my stay and do not feel I should pay for something I don't use. Taxes are high enough. Hilton should be ashamed. Their room rates are high enough. Do I like Hilton---NO.

By the way, some of the bathrooms are so small you can't turn around hardly. Had a time opening the shower door.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Kathryn L
Dear Kathryn L,

Hi there!

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay. I would like to have more information in regards to your reservation and confirmation details to better understand and assist you in regards to your comments. I guarantee that we would never have any hidden costs for our beloved guests and truly I apologize if this miscommunication caused any inconveniences. I would sincerely hope that you would consider our hotel and our Hilton brand in the future.

If you wish, you may contact me at michelle.burn@hilton.com to further discuss your review.
Happy Holidays; kind regards,

Michelle
Coral Gables, Florida
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Strange hotel, more for groups and cheaper US tourists. The elevator buttons don't light up, which is a bit of an indicator. Has clearly seen better days and the smell is indeed lightly musty. The rooms have absolutely no info about the hotel, no mini bar and the TV is, well average. The food is expensive, certainly for what it is and mostly Denny's level. The casino stuff is a bit sad and the whole thing needs a 'lift'. Bed was good. Wifi decent - and free. Service friendly throughout. Location neither good nor bad, pretty much like the hotel... There are much better choices for the price.

Room Tip: Rooms can be a long walk and elevators are slow.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#6 of 13 in Isla Verde
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to The Condado Plaza Hilton? Share your experiences!