“Very nice hotel...some of the staff could be a little friendlier”

Ranked #24 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Very nice hotel...some of the staff could be a little friendlier”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Stayed at the Condado Hilton in late August and were quite satisfied. The hotel is very modern and the rooms are quite comfortable. The beach view from our hotel room was terrific. There are 2 towers, one that faces the bay and one that faces the beach, so make sure you request the one you want. They location of the hotel is very convenient. They have lots of restaurants and bars inside the property, they have 2 pools, one salt water and one regular water and they also have a small private beach, which is enclosed by rocks, so you have no waves and can swim or just relax in the water. The one complain I have about the hotel is the staff at the beach. They have someone there, that is in charge of setting up the lounges and umbrellas in the morning for the hotel patrons, which is just fine. Once I got there, I asked the guy for a lounge and he pointed to the beach and said just pick one that is empty, so I did. I of course choose the one by the umbrella, and shortly after I had got myself all situated and ready to enjoy the sun, he comes over and tells me that the lounges are free for the guests, but if I wanted to use the umbrella I would have to pay. I find it absurd, that a guest would have to pay for the use of the umbrella to begin with and also I didn't like the fact that he didn't tell me while I was getting myself seated there, but he waited for me to get all settled in, and then told me. I guess he was hoping that I would just say ok and pay the fee, but I didn't. I was disappointed again in the afternoon, when my husband came back from his meeting and we were heading to the beach to enjoy the rest of the afternoon, around 5:50 and as we were approaching a lounge chair, the guy quickly came over and pulled it away saying that they were about to close. I asked what the closing time was, and he said 6pm, so I pointed out that it was still 5:50, but he told me that they start getting ready to close at 5:30pm. I think it's rude! I can understand getting ready to close early if there are no guest, but when you see a guest walking over a lounge, and you just pull it away, I think it's just rude and they should just use common sense. They are in the hospitality business and their main job is to make sure the guest is comfortable and satisfied, which this guy did not do at all. All he wanted to do is close shop and go home in a rush. I also noticed the same guy ask 2 guests who were using the hammocks to get up as it was time for them to close. Again I think he should have used common sense, and just waited a few minutes, or start closing with the other hammock, which was empty, and then maybe after everything else was done, if the folks were still there, he could have kindly told them that they were about to close and they would have to leave soon. There are nice way to get around things, he just couldn't find the right way. The private beach, is not really just for the hotel. In the afternoon it gets crowded with people that come from various cruise ships around the area. Best time to be there if you are looking for peace and quiet is the mornings. The brochure of the hotel also said they offered various water sport classes, so I went down to the beach waiting for the paddle boat class at 10, but it never happened, neither did the kayaking class.... not sure if you have to register, or make an appointment, but the brochure didn't mention anything, and no one at the beach made an announcement or said anything. I just chose not to ask about it as I saw the kind of attitude the beach guard/staff had that I just assumed I would probably be a bother to them and make them work. The rest of the staff was very pleasant.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for Ocean view or lagoon view. The pool in the lagoon tower is very small.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank SusannaFC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,023)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Stayed for 7 nights in the old part of the hotel. Water pressure was pathetic, air quality in rooms was freezing but smelled a bit like mildew, beds were extremely comfortable, daily housekeeping was good, gym equipment was nice although the mildew smell consumed me and only worked out 1 day (disappointed), pools nice atmosphere, Jacuzzi not working, front desk staff was nice, center bartenders were very nice, nightclub bartenders were horrible, had terrible attitudes and we didn't stay. Food was good and had good service.

Room Tip: Get a room in the new part of the hotel. Had friends on that side and they had no problem with smell...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank MicheleR5
Fairbury, Nebraska
Reviewed September 22, 2013

I am a Hilton Honors Diamond status member which was initially why I chose this hotel, yet after arrival I am not unhappy we did stay here

Very clean and modern rooms. The shower is all glassed in and the bed is heavenly

We especially like the pool area as it is surrounded with trees and you can slip over to the chairs off in the back of the pool and be completely shaded
The beach is just to the rear of the property so if you want to lay on the sand or do jet skis, it's just right there

Breakfast came with the room, what more can you ask for

Oh, and there are tons of Restraunts within walking distance.

Room Tip: Get the ocean view rooms
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Douglas8098
MichelleBurn, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear dlambert3220,

Thank you for sharing your comments, we truly appreciate you for the loyalty you have with Hilton!
I am glad to read that you enjoyed your room, specially the bed and our lovely glass showers. The Main Pool area offers a really nice shaded area where you can unwind and hear the waves crash behind you; it is absolutely relaxing!

We hope that you consider visiting us again; we will be delighted to welcome you again at The Condado Plaza Hilton!

Kind regards,

Michelle Burn
Guest Relations Manager
michelle.burn@hilton.com
Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

Overall average hotel, ok beach, not very family friendly. Next time we will book somewhere else. Internet was down most of the week we were here and to top it off they had to escort us to our room because they couldn't make room keys with the Internet down! Huge romance kill! Felt like we were at camp back in high school.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank ShannonLPearman
Dear ShannonLPearman,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay at our property.

I am sorry to hear that your stay was not to standards. We encountered a serious data communication interruption last friday morning where one of our communications switch in our system became faulty. AT&T, Dell, and the Hilton Technical staff worked very hard to solve the problem. This was completely beyond our local scope of management, and fortunately, we were able to get this situation resolved late saturday afternoon. Again, I am very sorry and I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. I want to take the opportunity to thank you for chosing the Condado Plaza Hilton.

I hope you will consider giving us an opportunity in the future. If you wish, you may contact me directly via email and I will be delighted in assisting you.

Best regards,

Michelle Burn
Guest Relations Manager
michelle.burn@hilton.com

Travelers are raving about these San Juan hotels

NYC
Reviewed September 19, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Condado Plaza Hilton during the week of Labor Day. Check in starts at 3 pm. We were upgraded to oceanfront room per ANANIS, the Guest Services Coordinator. She called our room after check-in to make sure everything was okay with our accommodations, that's NEVER happened before.

We were pleased to find a modern & contemporary room, very clean & comfortable. The bathroom is gorgeous. Updated. The room included a refrigerator, a safe, an iron, coffee, etc. We are a family of four, including a toddler. The staff delivered a crib to our room for our toddler, it was great. Our toddler slept in the crib each night. The beds are comfortable and housekeeping was great.

There is a Denny's, Starbucks, a casino, and several eeateries on site. Two wonderful pools, a kiddie pool, and a large jacuzzi. My teenager ate lunch at the poolside grill one day and we charged the meal to our room with no problem. The grounds were kept well. We were in a safe, cozy location of Carolina. We walked to dinner at local eateries rather than eating on site. There are many places along the same street that you should visit who offer breakfast and dinner specials.

My recommendations:

- "Ropa Vieja" (a diner less than two blocks from Condado) for breakfast. We had authentic Puerto Rican food for breakfast for half the price of a Denny's breakfast.

- Walk along the local neighborhood for dinner specials and breakfast.

- We walked to Walgreens for snacks, bottled water, and snacks for baby. It was fun!

- We took the bus twice to Old San Juan for $0.75. Fun! We visited the the historic site in Old San Juan "Castillo San Cristobal" BEAUTIFUL! great pictures for Instagram. (see below)

We are definitely planning to stay here next year for our holiday. Reasonable price, staff who take pride in their services, and management who follow up and deliver the best service we've had in a while. Overall, I lucked up with our stay at the Condado.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank onwardKimmie d
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Excellent room. Fantastic amenities that include pool, restaurants, casino. Great, friendly, professional and accommodating staff. Not the best beach but it's very relaxing. Room was very clean but the bathroom could be cleaner. Complementary internet worked great. Conference room was fantastic.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Dahri
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Reviewed September 18, 2013

It's very unfortunate that hotel does not have the appropriate Manager or staff to fully operate to it's full potential. Rooms are mediocre at best. The television is of poor quality and internet is sporadic. Front-line staff are not trained in customer service. Housekeeping does not understand water conservation nor do they comprehend what CLEAN means.

The only positives are the location and the view of the balcony.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#6 of 13 in Isla Verde
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to The Condado Plaza Hilton? Share your experiences!