“Not tooo good”

Ranked #24 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Finally ready to book reservations today...just got of the phone with "operator" (8/23/2013 @09:06 CST) ....First call..rang for about two minutes..no answer....second call...pick up and she explained she was transferrering me to the concierge...called dropped...(I hope they didn't hang up) I figure the hotel seems to be too busy...booking elsewhere.....

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Cara H
MichelleBurn, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Dear Cara H,

I truly apologize if you had any issues booking a room at our hotel. Your business is incredibly important to us and lengthy waiting call-times, like the ones you experienced, are not the norm. We value our customers and assure you this is very rare to occur; however, I understand your frustration and apologize for the inconvenience you went though. I'd like to personally have opportunity to assist you in your reservation and make myself available if you need any assistance.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

I have stayed here many times. Everything is within walking distance or short cab ride. Staff friendly and helpful. Some of the best local restaurants within short walk. Very safe area with lots of nice shopping and nice views of the ocean. There are a few nice clubs with live music as well as an ocean side park where bands play. Do not try to cross the bridge and cross the multi lane highway as this is very dangerous, but once on the Old San Juan do not leave before experiencing , El Hamburger

Room Tip: Pay a little extra and get ocean front with balcony
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank follydaze
MichelleBurn, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Dear follydaze,

Thank you for sharing your comments in regards to your recent stay. I would love to have the opportunity to meeting you on your next visit to our property, and welcome you once more!

Puerto Rico is known as the culinary capital of the caribbean, it makes me hungry to think of all the wonderful array of culinary options we have in our hotel, walking distance, and in every corner of the island! I am glad you enjoyed your visit to Puerto Rico.

In regards to crossing the bridge, I may add, a walkway was constructed to safely cross the "Puente de los Hermanos", Two Brother's Bridge, with a stop light and new walking and biking path that leads to the Convention Center, the Nautical Club of San Juan, and the new urban bay "Bahia Urbana"; which is a walkway next to the sea blended with nature showcasing spectacular views of the San Juan Bay.

Again, should you wish to visit us in the future please contact me. I would be delighted to welcome you again at the Condado Plaza Hilton.

Kind regards,

Reviewed August 22, 2013

We spent four nights in the hotel and it is very well located, not too far from San Juan (forget about walking there though). They have a nice pool area and easy access to one of the public beaches next door. The casion part is nothing to write home about (mostly full of seniors dancing salsa) and the food is (as expected) expensive.
Staff is very friendly and the rooms (we were upgraded) are good, breakfast for Hilton gold members is not free, but rather a $7 discount per person.

Room Tip: Ocean and Lagoon tower exists - one has a bigger pool area and one has just a pool and a hot tub. Do...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JonasInNYC

Dear Jonas W,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your stay. I am glad to see that you enjoyed our facilities and received great service during your stay.

In regards to the comment about breakfast for Hilton Honor Gold members, and it not being free, is incorrect. Gold members are entitled to continental breakfast which is equivalent to $7 in which you can charge to your room. In this case, if you wish to order a breakfast with a higher value, the equivalent of the continental breakfast is deducted from your bill. I am sorry if this caused any inconveniences during your stay.

Please feel free to contact me should you wish to visit us once again, I would be delighted in welcoming you once more to the Condado Plaza Hilton. Again, thank you for choosing to stay with us and thank you for the loyalty you have given our company, you are the reason why we are here.

Best regards,

Michelle.burn@hilton.com

Reviewed August 22, 2013

I stayed here for just 2 nights with my friend. We loved beds there.lol Sooo comfortable!! We couldn't get out of beds. And there is a small beach next to the hotel. Service was nice there too. Pool was also nice.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank Fumi M
Reviewed August 22, 2013

On the day of our arrival we got late to the hotel, 3 am due to a flight delay. I called to hotel to make sure I was going to have a room and they told me I will and the lady assigned the room over the phone so I did not have to wait at my arrival. But when I arrived I told her I was a gold member since she did not acknowledge it and ask if I will have a room upgrade, she replied that there were no rooms available for upgrades that maybe the next day. Also she told me that they had run out of welcome gifts and gave me a generic letter that reads that they have continental breakfast available up to $7,00 a day per room and when I told her I was supposed to have free breakfast and free internet, then she told me it will be then $14.00/day. Since we were four people on one room on the first day I spent $48.00 and did not have breakfast anymore thinking that at the end they will credit the whole amount and for my surprise I received a bill under the door charging me for the breakfast and the $10.40 resort fee which include internet, that I could not use because it was impossible to connect to. If I knew that I was going to pay out of pocket for my breakfast I would have stayed at the Caribe Hilton which have a breakfast buffet, traveling with three teenagers, food availability and price i is important. Or I could have stayed at Dorado with Hyatt since I am Diamond with them and would have had all my perks (no questions asked). Your valet parking is extremely expensive $25.00 per day and they do not advise that there is an $8.00 parking next to them. I also requested a late checkout and they told me there was no late checkout available, then I had to repeat myself again and tell the lady that I was a gold member and she offered me 1:00 pm check out I told her that I needed a 3:00pm and she said that she had orders of no late checkouts. Then at 12:00 my daughter walk out the room and could not get in because the card was already disconnected so we had to leave and wait at the Denny's across the street until 2:30 pm have breakfast on which the hotel did not credit me on the $54.16 the $14.00 allowance for that day either. Originally when I booked this stay I received a promotion called Leisure Escapes, which will give a $50.00 daily credit with code TVS or TVS1. I cancelled the original reservation that I had and booked this stay through the link from Hilton VIP. I printed my reservation but notice that after I printed everything is does not showed the name of the promotion. I took all the papers that I have from my booking page by page while I was doing my reservation and the hotel told me they did not know about this promotion because it was a new one that if I booked with points and money I am not able to use a $50.00 credit. I told them that if that was true I was not be able to finish my reservation because Hilton website blocks you from finishing and takes you to a page with the dates were the promotion is available and that was not the case. I showed them the screen print out with my reservation code TVS but they did not do anything. After talking with a gentleman at the lobby he adjusted the resort fee because he said that my reservation was called family vacations, (never heard of this promotion) so he credited me $41.60 not because I am a gold member and I am entitled to free internet. The hotel is very pretty and the people are very courteous but not very knowledgeable of the in and outs of their promotions. I rather stay in other brands of hotels or at Hilton in USA or other countries were the benefits are more standardized. Beautiful Island, wonderful people but too expensive for what we are getting. I was planning to do a Diamond Challenge with Marriott to match my Hyatt Diamond status, but after this and the last experience in NY, unless is completely necessary I would not consider staying with Hilton. With the devaluation of Hilton points is too expensive to book a hotel with Hilton Rewards, Axon or Glon is too much for what we are getting in return.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank Lula R
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We visited in May 2013 and spent three nights. The hotel grounds were absolutely fantastic! The waves of the Atlantic crash upon the rocks just several feet from you while strolling on the hotel ground! There are several swimming pools, one with a swim up bar, another with a slide, and steps leading to a sandy beach. Our room, across Ashford Avenue was slightly less expensive, but worth it since it overlooked the lagoon and we could watch the morning paddle boarders! It's incredibly located with a bus stop to Old San Juan just a block away, a Subway Sandwich shop and other inexpensive places to eat down the street and in the lobby there's a Denny's. Room tip: go for the less expensive rooms because you still have the run of the entire property.

Room Tip: Go for the less expensive room - it still gives you access to all the amenities.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Yinzer13
MichelleBurn, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Dear Yinzer13,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments in regards to your last visit in May.

I am glad you enjoyed your view of the lagoon, that view is an amazing one which makes our property even more special as it is the only hotel with panoramic views to the city, the atlantic ocean, and the Condado Lagoon. Sunrise and Sunsets on the Lagoon side are absolutely breahtaking!

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our facilities. Please feel free to contact me should you wish to visit us in the near future. I will be glad to assist!

Best regards,

Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

my room was dirty on checking,the front desk staff didn't know what they were doing.The manager didn't comp my meal after finding blood on the sheet at check in, the shower leak, the TV and ac didn't work.

overpriced I have to say it again over priced meal, I was one of two guest. The place was empty the food was that bad.

I also have to mention like a one star hotel they keep track of the pool towels by having you the guest bring it back to them the employee, are you kidding me...

I only wish I could get my money and time back.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Emil H

Dear Emil H,

We thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent trip. Reading your comments, it appears that we fell short of your expectations and for that, we sincerely apologize. We are accustomed to receiving very positive feedback from our guests and are disheartened that you did not experience the level of excellence you deserve. Please be assured that your concerns will be shared with our management team so that corrective measures are taken where feasible.

We do hope that you can give us another opportunity to regain your confidence in our hotel if your travels bring you to our area again..

Kind regards,