“Very Disappointed” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #24 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Los Angeles, California
“Very Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

We arrived at the hotel and right from the start there was poor service. The porter asked if I needed assistance with the bags and I said, yes please and he disappeared. Multiple times on our trip I needed assistance with bags following our excursions and not once did a porter offer assistance and then the hotel had the nerve to charge me a "porter" fee.

We were promised an ocean view room and were not provided one but were charged an ocean view rate!

The room was mediocre at best and the small bathroom where the base boards were loose and you can see the poor workmanship were awful, and the door that wouldn't close all the way allowing for very little privacy. Don't get me started on the shower and the design, you got soaked and flooded the floor every time you turned it on and waited for the water to heat up.

The service was ok but the maid service left a lot to be desired, we went to the beach and of course had sand in our suits...the sand was not cleaned from the shower even after I called and asked them to take care of it twice...the sand was in our sheets and it took us stripping the bed to get them to change the sheets, even after I asked for that to be handled.

The coffee shop and Denny's had good service but the food was poor and neither one offered creamer for the coffee, only milk.

The pool area and the equipment rentals were good and the high end restaurant was excellent as well as the lobby bar.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,006)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

The hotel is in a great location in Condado. You are at walking distance of many restaurants and shops and most important it is in front of the beach. Service is fairly good also.
My main concern was the rooms. They are not as nice as they should be for a Conrad Brand. Beds are not comfortable, balcony was very deteriorated and it did not feel very clean. Bathrooms are ok.
Price is tricky. They advertise a price, but then they add some charge for "amenities" that increases your bill. There are plenty of choices in San Juan, so look around for different options.
Important note: The Hotel is very close to the Isla Grande Airport, so if you are a light sleeper take note!

Room Tip: Try to get rooms ocean front. The ones looking at the city are cheaper, but the airport makes it dif...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank FRDR
Charlotte, NC, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

Good pool/beach area, bar was nice, location was good although it is a haul to get to Old San Juan and a bit of a walk to Condado's nightlife. Received an upgrade so the room was great but a little cold. Didn't have many requests throughout the stay but the service upon check-in/out was nice. If I return, I would consider another stay but would also like to check out additional Hilton properties in the area, as I am a Diamond member.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Conrad Hotels & Resorts

Monroe
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

Overall a great place to spend some relaxing and fun time. The main hotel employes were very attentive. We had a great time at the Conrad. Customer service was great. Our ocean view was spectacular. Food was good, not amazing but, their Parcha Mohitos were the best.

The poolside is another story. Waiters not very attentive I got the feeling they didnt want to be there. However, David, a waiter at the pool bar was the exception. Very attentive and made sure we were having a great time.

Pool side music needs to be addressed. Nice pool, pool bar, but the music was repetitive, a mood breaker. Dated, old fashioned. I felt I was at some Jersey Shore kids hang out instead of a Caribbean Tropical Paradise.

We had to complain several times, and we got a slight change of pace, ( then we got all merengue music one after another after another.)

Hopefully the manager and DJ in charge read this review and reconsider to update their selection a little.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Lillian R
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

It was average as far as the food and amenities go. The view was beautiful at the ocean side and pool area neat and clean. We had an issue with the amount of the resort credit we were to receive and that is currently being worked. City view was a bit noisy.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Conrad Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Jackson, Mississippi, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

I went to Puerto Rico for the first time last February. One of my best friends was having an all girls party there for a week. I decided at the last minute to go. Well it was peak time and hotels were very expensive so I ended up booking through Expedia. I am big on reading reviews and allowing other customers to help me in my selection of hotels. I have found that reviewers tell the truth. And if several people are saying a hotel is good/bad... Believe it! The reviews were awesome for this property. So I decided to try it. From the moment I walked it... I knew I was we're I wanted to be. The lobby was very modern and edgy like I like it to be... Lots of red, a big glass wall filled with exotics fish and just plain cool atmosphere. The front desk clerks were ok in friendliness... This is something I have found with a lot of Hilton... And definitely something they need to work on! I told the receptionist I was in Puerto Rico to meet up with friends that were staying between the Conrad and Hilton Carib, around the corner. I had paid for a large room and she upgraded me to a wonderful suite. I couldn't have asked for a better room. I was overlooking the Ocean and partial street. It was magnificent. I had the best room out of all the girls in the party, so my room became the go to room for the group. Puerto Rico is very expensive they try to get you for everything. They think because you are coming from the mainland that you have money to burn. So everything is up for negotiation with price and everything is for sale... Literally! Beware! The other girls left and went on a cruise and I stayed an extra day to enjoy the fab hotel and beach. Well a major storm came thru the night after they left and I ended up staying a few more days because I couldn't get out, all flights were full. There was nothing scarier than being on that tiny island in the middle of the ocean and a major storm. Everything went black and the phones and Internet were dead. This hotel had a backup generator that powered lights and water. So we were not completely in the dark. Even tho this happened the hotel staff handled things better than expected. Thank you for a wonderful and memorable stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank RubyRudi M
Denver
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

What a disappointment. The brochure made it sound like a nice resort, however the employees made it more of a Motel 6. Being ignored and reprimanded in front of other guest by the male clerk is not an acceptable customer service practice. Oh wait...Omar thought his employee reaction was okay. I guess it is true. The management sets the tone and customer service level of the employees establishment . This hotel failed. I did have a pleasant interaction action however with Jean ( hope I got his name right) he did recommend the Vieja Ropa. And some of the other female desk personnel were great. Overall, if you need a place to stay in San Juan, look elsewhere. They have plentiful other hotels, besides the Hilton family of hotels

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank TonyDDenver
MichelleBurn, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear TonyDDenver,

Thank you for your review. I understand that you were dissatisfied with our prices and that you found them to be too expensive. I sincerely apologize for this and assure you that we do all we can to create a great experience for each one of our guests. We are actively looking for ways keep costs low and offer enhanced services for your comfort and convenience and will definitely keep you review in mind.

Again, I do thank you for your review and sincerely apologize for any inconveniences you may have gone through. I hope that the next time you are in the area, please consider staying with us at again.

Best regards,

#6 of 13 in Isla Verde
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,079 reviews
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to The Condado Plaza Hilton? Share your experiences!