“Conrad San Juan Condado Plaza”

The Condado Plaza Hilton
Ranked #24 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Hampton VA
“Conrad San Juan Condado Plaza”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I have read negative reviews of this hotel but our experience was 110% positive. We loved our week here and will definitely return.

We especially liked the people of Puerto Rico! And the service staff at this hotel is tops. Very helpful. Denny's Restaurant in the hotel ISA plus.

Room Tip: Try booking through a discount site. Ocean front room is well worth extra money.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank HamptonVATraveler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,023)
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I actually want to give 3.5 starts for the hotel. The hotel is nice and modern. Location is great: close to Old San Juan, Airport and many restaurants. Love the pool area, hammock and the view. I took out 1.5 for following reasons:
1. Long, I mean very long, check in and check out line. What I can't not understand why the hotel doesn't have express check out. So, whether you are checking in or checking out you have to do it through front desk. Don't be surprise if you end up waiting 20 minutes or more on the line.
2. No calls when room was ready: we got in around 11 am and of course we did not expect the room to be ready. They took my # and we waited for call. Fortunately I had read other reviews in which reviewer had mentioned that they had to go again to front desk and check if the room was ready. I did the same thing at about 4PM and got the room.
3. Beach or no beach: One of the reasons I chose this hotel because the hotel was right on the beach. But the beach is very very small. It's like small area right next to the street with some water. If you are coming for beach Marriott may be a good choice for you in Condado or somewhere in Isla Verde.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
st. louis, mo
Reviewed May 7, 2013

stayed here for one night and thought that the staff was discourteous. not only that, the resort fee should be a flat fee and not a percentage of your rate. I paid top dollar for going during spring break time and because the hotel was so busy, likely the staff was so frazzled = poor service. But that meant I paid even more for bad service because their resort fee is a % of the price of the stay. I cut my foot on their property and went to concierge to get a band-aid and they had run out. despite the fact that they said they would get one, they did not have one nor apologized when I checked back later.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank gradpresenttocancun

Travelers are raving about these San Juan hotels

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I travel to Puerto Rico quite frequently for business. The Hilton Conrad is a great hotel with lovely, gracious staff members. The rooms are modern and clean. The beach area is beautiful. The hotel is within reasonable walking distance to local restaurants.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank Felicia S
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Very upscale rooms with excellent view. The floors and tables were all marbel and white,which is my favorite.
The location is really good and accesible to everything.
However the parking was quite steep. About 25 bucks. Which is craaazy.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank dmazm
Westfield, New Jersey
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Stayed here during a business trip. In-room wireless was out for at least 15 hours. I tried to call front desk several times, but no one picked up the phone. When I got down to the lobby, people were in line waiting to complain. The guy next to me was so pissed off since he was supposed to give a online presentation. What suppried me was that no apology or compensation was offered except suggesting guests to stay in the lobby for internet access.

We scheduled meetings in this hotel too. Two of my colleagues lost their iphones while we were having lunch next room. The laptops and blackberries were left untouched. Hotel said there were no surveillance cameras so we were unable to find out who did that. I don't wanna comment too much on this. But based on what I've experienced, the service in this hotel does not come in line with the Conrad name.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
MichelleBurn, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear zyang4,

Thank you for your review of your recent experience at our hotel. I am sorry that there were some issues that you were not completely satisfied with. I thank you for bringing them up in your review as your feedback is one of the most important tools that allow us to improve the quality of our products and services. We will certainly use your comments to identify areas where we can improve our hospitality so that others do not share your experience.

Your business is extremely important to us and I sincerely hope that you give us another opportunity and consider returning again. In the meantime, if I can be of any assistance, please feel free to contact me.

Best regards,

Michelle Burn
Guest Relations Manager
NY
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I have stayed at many properties in San Juan. This stay was a short pre-cruise, 2 night visit.

Pulled up in a cab, with several pieces of luggage. No bellman, no doorman. There were 3 valets, but alas, their job was not to help guests with bags.

Schlepped the bags inside to reception. It was after 6 PM, so I expected my room to be ready, and it was. Hilton Diamond so got upgraded ocean view (very nice) and free CONTINENTAL breakfast. No Executive lounge. They did away with it in the remodel, we were told. "Coupon" for 2 bottles of water to be obtained at lobby bar, only between the hours of 12 Pm and 5 PM. WOW! I just came from a Hampton Inn in NC where service and attitude were far superior for a significantly lower price.

Guess what? No Bellman - had to Schlepp all my luggage again upstairs. There's not even a bell cart. None. Not one.

Room was fine - the red walls were a little odd. View was killer. Ate at the Caribe Cafe in the Hotel - good food, incredibly pleasant service.

This hotel (like almost all the hotels in San Juan) charge a 16% "RESORT FEE" that includes pool, hot tub, snorkel equipment, towels, tennis and internet.

Tennis Courts - there are 2, both on the bay side, and only one has a fence. Errant balls land in the water. The courts were in rather poor condition for a "resort" and needed resurfacing and powerwashing. No sports person to reserve or check in with - first come first serve, like a public court.

The pool area was quite spacious, lots of places to sit around two pools and hot tubs. Loungers were ok. Needed to sign out towels and have room crossed off when returning.

Pool side service was ok, but slow, with may trying to close checks, and just leaving.

The Beach is perhaps the most disappointing thing. Cannot even call it a beach. It is more like a highway runoff area that is open to anyone at all. Yuck. Really awful.

Check out - more bag schlepping. Super long line at the desk. AHA - a Hilton Honors line. Step onto it - the person walks away. ONE person checking people out at 12 PM! And why do we need to actually check out? Because there was no other way to leave - no bill was put under the door, no way to check the bill from the room TV. ERGGG>>>>>>

Now we finally schelpp our bags outside. No doorman to get us a cab. Can the valet do it? Nope. He finally calls the doorman to "clap" for one for us. He asks us where to and translates to the cabbie, who gives a price in spanish. He tells us in english a different price!! WHAT??? I said are you sure - thats not what the cabbie said. He says OH, what did she say? When I told him he said, ok then thats what you pay. Scamming at a Hilton Property? By the Door man? EWE.....

This used to be the Condado Hotel. I don't know when it became the Conrad Condado, but I bet its not a Conrad for long. Stay AWAY. Price is no where near commesurable with experience. I could look at the Caribe Hilton out my window and was so sorry I didn't book there.

You've been warned.

Room Tip: Do not Stay Here. Don't. Go Anywhere else.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#6 of 13 in Isla Verde
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to The Condado Plaza Hilton? Share your experiences!