“This Hotel boast of a Casino and the restaurants are great.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Condado Plaza Hilton

The Condado Plaza Hilton
Ranked #24 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Miami, Florida
“This Hotel boast of a Casino and the restaurants are great.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

Been here Twice already and love it every time. The Lobby is wonderful in appearance. The food options are diverse and the Casino is a great place to indulge at the end of the day without going broke.
The breakfast options particularly are good for me as there is a Denny's across the street, again a part of the hotel. You can't go wrong there, the only down side is it's Ala carte and you pay as you eat... LOL. I like Buffet spreads as there is a wider variety for a fixed price.
The rooms were good as I got an upgrade to a Suite but no complimentary water in the room that was unfortunate.. the Bottle cost $ 6. It's recommended to buy it from one of the restaurants when you dine, it's much cheaper and then again it won't be Evian, would it?
In all the Hotel has all the bells and whistles to make a great stay...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Hyginus F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,006)
Detroit
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

The rooms here were clean enough and nicely decorated though not lavish. Restaurants in hotel above average though a tad overpriced as are taxi rides! Starbucks right outside the main hotel entrance. Casino was lively.. But the beach was a BIG OLE DRAG! The weirdest most univiting slice of beach I have ever seen. Big lobby with sofas tucked around, good for watching the sea and other people. Other hotels with casinos and some shopping about 15 min walk away.

Room Tip: The lagoon side might be preferable.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank traveltrueDetroit
MichelleBurn, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear traveltrueDetroit,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. While we are delighted that you found our rooms to be clean and nicely decorated, we are sorry that you are disappointed with some aspects of your stay with us.

I truly apologize if you found our restaurant and taxi service to be overpriced and that you were not impressed with our beach. Guest satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. I will make sure that take your comments into consideration to improve our property.

Please accept our sincere apologies and we hope that next time you are in town; you consider staying with us again.

Michelle Burn
Guest Relations Manager
White Rock, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

I stayed heer in January for a sales meeting. A great busness hotel in a great ocean front location - nothing but good things to say. I can't say what price was paid because I never saw the bill, but we all had a great stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank mikeyjoe68
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

We are worldwide travellers, know the Conrad hotels and remember very nice experiences, one of which in Singapore. We did chose the Condado Conrad for a 5 nights stay expecting excellent services and restaurants. What a surprise to the sloppy service and more particularly, to the terrible restaurants. No restaurant at the level promised by costly promotions, except for one, all are fast foods. The cook even failed a simple order of two sunny side up.
Since there is no other restaurants in the immediate area of Condado, we ended up eating at night at the nearby Hilton.

1 Thank Echodularge
Ames, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

This hotel has two towers. The one on the North side of the street overlooks the Atlantic, the other is on the bay side. We had a room looking out over the ocean and the view was definitely worth the price. We sat on the balcony every day and watch the surf, the people, the ships coming & going, and the sunsets. We had a King bed with a *really* large enough bathroom, pocket door, walk-in glass walled shower, closet, dresser, mini-fridge, safe, toilet, sink, and vanity. We needed someplace to hang wet beach towels and swim suits, so had room to set up the ironing board in the bathroom to hang our stuff and still had enough room to walk around in there!

We were there for a company sponsored trip. The staff was courteous, the rooms were spacious enough, and the location was nice! Safe neighborhood: we walked to restaurants and some shopping nearby. We safe police officers sprinkled in every public location at night so weren't worried about security.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Cyberscouter
New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

I booked this hotel as a package on Expedia with my flight included. It was between this and the Caribe Hilton. My boyfriend and I chose this on a whim. After I booked I began to regret it as so many of the reviews on here were negative (some VERY negative) about the hotel, the service, everything. I am SO GLAD I ignored them and kept my reservation. From beginning to end we were thrilled with this hotel.

When we arrived I asked if they had any upgrades available (I had booked a standard City View room.) The check-in agent told me they had an ocean view room available but that it had 2 Queen beds. I asked how much the upgrade cost and she said "nothing, its free." We didn't care that it had 2 beds - we only used one - but having the ocean view was well worth it.

The room was HUGE and so was the bathroom. Yes there was some wear and tear (the hotel is more than 50 years old) but it did not in any way impact the quality of our stay. Housekeeping was very thorough. Beds were made, pillows fluffed, towels replenished, bathroom scrubbed.

The pool area was perfect every day and the bar service was excellent. Unlike other reviews we never waited for towels from the concierge. We only ate at one restaurant - the Caribe Cafe - and only for breakfast. Service was prompt, price was VERY cheap, and food was good. No complaints there.

Overall the only thing this hotel lacks is a better location. The Vanderbilt and La Concha are closer to the action in Condado but the Conrad is a great deal with nice rooms and a friendly staff.

Room Tip: Ocean View rooms are the way to go.
6 Thank NYC86
ConradSanJuan, General Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear guest; thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you; we are glad you decided to be your own judge about our hotel, and as important, that you were pleased with your experience. Please allow me to say, my staff and I are very committed to provide excellence in service, and I will make sure they know that their efforts have been rewarded. Thank you again, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Raul Bustamante
Managing Director
Largo, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

We got back from a four night / five day stay there last week. Given some of the reviews we saw and location we thought it was a home run.

When we got there we checked out our room. It was nice. The bathroom is small, the vanity is half blocked by the toilet so you have to stand off to the side to use the sink. The shower door leaked really bad, ending up with a huge puddle on the floor. Took just about all our towels just to sop it up. The bathroom door is a sliding door that doesnt cover completely so you do not have total privacy and there is no lock, just like a closet door. The balcony is really big but the railing is old and rusty and I was afraid to put any weight on it. The view however was nice of Ashford Avenue.

The service varied a lot. From the basics like the doormen, that was fine.. Hard to mess that up. The service inside any of the restaurants, beach bar, gift shop and so on, was horrible and the prices are criminal. $3.00 for a can of coke at the gift shop. You can rent snorkeling equipment at the pool area to use at the beach. I am experienced in scuba and it really is not hard to care for basic equipment such as mast, snorkel and fins. The fins were ok. The mask given to me was scratched up and had sand all over jammed in the cracks. Also the strap that goes on your head wouldnt stay, that is because it was missing parts and they tied knots in the strap so you cant adjust it.

Back to the price of things.. A meal for my wife and I at the cafe was $45.00. Basically everything is expensive. The only thing there that is not crazy is the Dennys, however you can expect unspeakably horrible service from waiting to be seated, to order, refills, to pay, the list goes on. I watched four staff members playing on their phones together by the kitchen entrance while we waited on our food for 15 min. If not that the service everywhere stinks, we would have left. People stood at the front to be seated for 7 minutes before the guy yelled hello to get attention. If you have a car, you will pay $3.00 a hour up to $16.00 per day to park there - even for guests. There is also a daily resort fee... They nickel and Dime you.

We also booked a excursion to the Bio Bay. Be aware, there is a weight limit of 250. They did not tell me this when we booked the excursion for two hundred dollars. I had to learn of the weight limit researching it online. I called down and they then told me oh yes, there is a limit.. Keep in mind... I do not look like I weigh 250, wish I did, but no.. Took four days to get a refund and daily trips to the conceirge to keep on them.

All in all, considering I see prices online for hundreds a night to stay there, not worth it!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#6 of 13 in Isla Verde
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,078 reviews
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to The Condado Plaza Hilton? Share your experiences!