“Looks great on the internet... but that is about it.”

The Condado Plaza Hilton
Ranked #23 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Largo, Florida
“Looks great on the internet... but that is about it.”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We got back from a four night / five day stay there last week. Given some of the reviews we saw and location we thought it was a home run.

When we got there we checked out our room. It was nice. The bathroom is small, the vanity is half blocked by the toilet so you have to stand off to the side to use the sink. The shower door leaked really bad, ending up with a huge puddle on the floor. Took just about all our towels just to sop it up. The bathroom door is a sliding door that doesnt cover completely so you do not have total privacy and there is no lock, just like a closet door. The balcony is really big but the railing is old and rusty and I was afraid to put any weight on it. The view however was nice of Ashford Avenue.

The service varied a lot. From the basics like the doormen, that was fine.. Hard to mess that up. The service inside any of the restaurants, beach bar, gift shop and so on, was horrible and the prices are criminal. $3.00 for a can of coke at the gift shop. You can rent snorkeling equipment at the pool area to use at the beach. I am experienced in scuba and it really is not hard to care for basic equipment such as mast, snorkel and fins. The fins were ok. The mask given to me was scratched up and had sand all over jammed in the cracks. Also the strap that goes on your head wouldnt stay, that is because it was missing parts and they tied knots in the strap so you cant adjust it.

Back to the price of things.. A meal for my wife and I at the cafe was $45.00. Basically everything is expensive. The only thing there that is not crazy is the Dennys, however you can expect unspeakably horrible service from waiting to be seated, to order, refills, to pay, the list goes on. I watched four staff members playing on their phones together by the kitchen entrance while we waited on our food for 15 min. If not that the service everywhere stinks, we would have left. People stood at the front to be seated for 7 minutes before the guy yelled hello to get attention. If you have a car, you will pay $3.00 a hour up to $16.00 per day to park there - even for guests. There is also a daily resort fee... They nickel and Dime you.

We also booked a excursion to the Bio Bay. Be aware, there is a weight limit of 250. They did not tell me this when we booked the excursion for two hundred dollars. I had to learn of the weight limit researching it online. I called down and they then told me oh yes, there is a limit.. Keep in mind... I do not look like I weigh 250, wish I did, but no.. Took four days to get a refund and daily trips to the conceirge to keep on them.

All in all, considering I see prices online for hundreds a night to stay there, not worth it!

4 Thank Lifeguard8

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,057)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I came to PR because I nonrev and was going to Aruba with my mom and two kids. Unfortunately, my mother forgot her current passport, so we changed flights to go to PR. since it was last minute, I asked my husband to book something because I trust him. He went through Expedia and spend £650 for three nights. I thought that was expensive, but it went on to be even more expensive!

I used to live in PR, so I knew the area and already knew there wasn't much around there except the hotels. I agree with other reviewers, the lobby is outdated, the hotel strip is just as dumpy as it was 20 years ago, there was nothing around unless you walk 20 minutes to Walgreens. The hotel had very expensive food and drinks and I would have left after the first day if we could have (Expedia wont cancel).

The good points:

The churrasco wrap was fabulous! (Skirt steak, plantains, and cheese wrap), the pool was super fun for the kids, the room was pretty and the bathroom was amazing (especially the shower).
The kids enjoyed some cool activities.
I liked the shampoos/soaps :)
Casino staff was nice.

The bad points:

The location-nothing around
The staff-not too helpful or friendly, especially at the pool.
Too expensive. There was an additional $150 fee when we checked out for "services"!
They will charge you for the pool towels
We were on the second floor and the elevators were out. We had to go through the mezzanine and then through the dumpy employee elevator room.
We had to ask the staff to clean our room, but they did promptly

We went snorkelling. We bought our own snorkels, 2 sets for $60 at the Walgreens. Not worth it, bring your own! I just saw some at target for $2! But, the snorkelling was the best part!!

Room Tip: Not the second floor! You can't use the regular elevators and will need to walk 6 flights of sta...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank pamotten
MichelleBurn, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear Pamotten,

I appreciate the review of your recent stay at our hotel. I understand that you were disappointed and that we came short of delivering what you are accustomed to expect from us. I truly apologize if this was the case and I can assure you that I will definitely keep your review in mind to improve our in-property experience. We appreciate your business, and trust that we do our best to ensure our guests enjoy our hotel. With that said, I assure that your feedback is incredibly important to us and I will definitely take your comments into consideration.

Michelle Burn
Guest Relations Manager
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed February 20, 2013

This was a last minute choice because we were cruising out of Puerto Rico and needed to fly out of NY one day earlier in order to avoid the snowstorm. We went onto Price Line and were directed to this hotel. What a surprise - Absolutely beautiful room with balcony overlooking ocean; plus, the bathroom was larger than our suite on the cruise ship. However, it is a very large resort; they allowed us to check in as soon as we arrived (several hours before "check in") however, upon check-in, we were charged an addition $25 for "resort fee". The prices in the hotel for food are exhorbitant, so you are better off going outside on the strip and walking to find a place to eat. There are local restaurants within a 6-block radius as well as a Starbucks. All in all, it was a lovely experience and a great start to a vacation however I can see it becoming quite costly for an extended period of time.

Room Tip: I would think all rooms are good; if you have any questions you can always email them.
2 Thank skrys
Miami, Florida
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I booked this hotel on expedia and got a GREAT deal when packaging it with airfare. I saved more than 50%.

The hotel was recently renovated and has a cool, young vibe to it. The rooms are nice but not too big. The bathroom doors dont close all the way so privacy is a bit of an issue. Also, floors are tiled in the rooms so you can hear the movement in the units above.

There are activities/places (ice cream stand, bounce house, Denny's, etc) aimed for family as well as activities/places aimed for adults (casino, nightclub, Pikayo, etc). There is a hotel events calendar on their website so you can see all the hotel sponsored activities held each day. You can get a seaside massage in the pool are and there is a swimup bar for those so inclined.

There is a lot to see and do in Puerto Rico but if you stay at this hotel at least plan one day to simply lounge around and enjoy the activities on site.

Room Tip: You're on a tropical island! Opt for an oceanview or bayview room!
2 Thank LittleCristy
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed February 19, 2013

The pricing for this hotel is 4.5 star, however the experience is closer to 3-star. While the rooms are beautiful and the ocean view is outstanding, the rest of the hotel leaves a lot to be desired. The lobby colors are outdated and reminiscent of the 1970's, while the casino is cold and drab. The food at the restaurants were pricey and poorly prepared. If you stay at this hotel, be sure to eat elsewhere in San Juan. The nightlife entertainment was non-existent. I really do not know why the hotel charges an resort fee on top of the room charge.

Dear Moniquekll,

I appreciate the review of your recent stay at our hotel. I understand that you were disappointed and that we came short of delivering what you expected from us. I truly apologize if this was the case and I can assure you that I will definitely keep your review in mind to improve our in-property experience.

Michelle Burn
Guest Relations Manager
Texas
Reviewed February 18, 2013

My boyfriend and I spent 4 days of relaxing fun at the Conrad. Now I must admit its not as nice as other Conrad hotels however they do try to keep pace. Our check in went well despite the long lines. I do hats that they hold such a large amount on your credit card put a huge dent in my potential shopping spree. (The shops in town have outstanding outlet prices) never the less our room was clean and dozy. On the corner of the fourth floor and view of the bay that I enjoyed each morning. My sister who checked in several hours after we did had a huge room and we paid the same price. Hotel plus- affordable, clean, and walking distance to the beach behind the La Concha Renaissance hotel. Enjoyed the small casino actually won 90 dollars. Negatives- no true beach front experience, slightly away from night life but within walking distance. Overall if your traveling on a budget and want a nice clean room with minimal ammenities this is your spot.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank youngdiva
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Great location at end of Condado with easy exit to San Juan and Expressways.
Per a few other reviews I would confirm that the hotel is getting a little worn around the edges, however the overall atmosphere, lively casino and bars, several restaurants, and the advantage of a 24h Denny's in the building more than make up for this.
Staff were all friendly and helpful.
We had a Lagoon view - ask for a high room (above 4th floor) if you really want a view from your balcony!
We had a car hire for a few days, and were very happy with the self parking option in a multistorey located below the main entrance - what a great convenience!
In room dining was surprisingly good.
Overall I would stay here again, but would recommend elsewhere if you want to blow away a partner with a 5 star plus experience, this is a mid range 4 star experience, if that's the price then take the deal.

Room Tip: Take a room above 4th floor if you want a Lagoon View - below that the pool roof obscures the view.
1 Thank Ian B
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort
Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to The Condado Plaza Hilton? Share your experiences!