The staff here is absolutely terrible. Nobody takes ownership of an issue and solves a problem, they just look to pass you off to someone else.
Since we've been here the following things have not worked:
-A/C in the fitness center
-One of the pools (is closed for work--which is going on all day on the pool deck)
On the first night we were here, we noticed (very quickly) that the temperature in the fitness center was sauna-like. We called the front desk and got transferred no fewer than 4 or 5 times before being finally hung up on "by mistake" (though it happened twice in a row, so...). We walked over and spoke to a front desk manager who assured us she was going to send someone over right away. A man in a working uniform came in, walked over to a closet, opened it, saw it was the wrong closet and walked out of the room. Never saw anyone again, and the AC wasn't fixed.
The next day, we again inquired about the AC and got the same runaround before being hung up on.
The following day, the third of our stay, we spoke to someone who finally admitted that it was broken and they were going to "buy a new AC" for it. I asked when--would it be today--and she just laughed as if to say, "yeah right." So now that it's acknowledged that the AC was broken, I asked what's being done to accommodate guests, can we go to other Hiltons nearby, a private facility with vouchers, what? This question baffled them as accommodating guests is not part of their MO. They said they'd find out from a manager if they could get vouchers for the place up the street, but they didn't call back to let me know... shocking...
So we've been going up the street to International Fitness and paying $15 each every day. It's a fine facility and we'd be fine with the walk up there as things happen, but the hotel needs to make an effort to accommodate guests.
The wifi doesn't work very well (maybe 20% of the time), and when it does it's slow. Since we've been here they're also doing construction/remodeling/something on one of the main pools. It's drained and caution-taped off, and of course the other pool is crowded as a result.
While minor, I also want to point out that our room is advertised as having a 42" TV, and the TV in our room is 32" at a maximum. Not normally a big deal in a hotel, but we were here during the national championship game.
Also, don't eat at the Denny's downstairs. It's horrible. Ben & Jerry's nearby (seriously) has great food and very reasonable prices and farther down we also really liked Pure & Natural juice bar--though they have good food as well.
In sum, this hotel would be fairly good if the staff took any interest in guest comfort--but they don't. The rooms are of decent sized, well-furnished and clean. The bathroom is nice and the porch is sizeable. But I simply can't recommend anyone stay here as disinterested staff, broken amenities, and no ownership of problems seems to be business as usual here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Condado Plaza Hilton, the only hotel overlooking both the Atlantic Ocean and Condado Lagoon, is an enchanting alternative to typical San Juan hotel. Our unique location boasts cool ocean breezes, breathtaking sunsets, and a shimmering, protected beach. Whether you're traveling for work or play, this sparkling hotel offers it all, superb dining options including the award-winning Pikayo restaurant, elegant event venues, three glistening pools, water slide, waterports, 24-hour fitness center, tennis, poolside massage and bustling nightlife. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotwire, Expedia, TripOnline SA, HotelsforEveryone, getaroom.com, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your The Condado Plaza Hilton reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Conrad San Juan Condado Plaza Hotel San Juan
- San Juan Conrad
- Condado Plaza Hotel San Juan
- Hotel Resort Wyndham