“Great Location”

The Condado Plaza Hilton
Ranked #23 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed April 1, 2008

Hotel was great - perfect location. Rooms were wonderful, bed was so comfortable I had a hard time getting up in the morning. Looked just like the web site. We ate at the hotel the first morning and then ventured out to the local restaurants - much more reasonable prices. Pool was nice - two separate pools one that more for kids and one for adults. Wait staff on had for cocktails poolside. All staff polite and accommodating - we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will come back.

Stayed: March 2008
3  Thank Beeper67

Reviewed April 1, 2008

We arrived to a check in wait of about 1 hour and there were only 5 guests in front of us. Waiting for food at any of their 3 eateries will take awhile as there is no hurry to feed you. We did complain about having to wait to check in and they did upgrade our room which was nice. Prices of food were out of line whith the normal traveler so bring extra money for food. The hotel had only 2 working elevaters which really was fustrating but on the last day they were working on the broken ones. Pool area was nice but the beach was a joke. Only about a hundred feet long and stuck back in a inlet. no real view and was very dirty. As far as entertainment goes there is none in the hotel other then the casino. The bar keeps playing this loud type of raggie music over and over not really appealing. Overall we would not stay there again

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank len6295
Reviewed March 31, 2008

Check In- A breeze we where up graded to a suite on the lagoon side.
Room-Beautiful expect a little far from main hotel but we decided not to change,bed was great ,balcony small ,no wet bar but there is a fridge just went to store and stocked up.The bathroom and the room was in great shape everything was very clean alot of closet space and safe.
Hotel-Like I said we where on the lagoon side and everything happens on the other side,the lobby and the hotel are decorated Art deco style and very Beautiful.
Pools and Beach-Two pools at main hotel one salt water which is 6 feet deep and cold the other is regular pool water with bar and slide very nice.Beach is small but on the lagoon so very still no waves which is great because the Hotel beachs are so rough ,I never would try to swim there.
Bar and Food-Only ate and drank at the pool bar and cafe very good but way over priced not even South Beach prices. A beer local 6 dollars and Rum mixed drink 10 Dollars.
Old San Juan -Went twice once by Taxi and by car rental , is beautiful but lacks turistic directin.
Yunque Rain Forest-Went by rent a car that we rented from Enterprice in the lagoon side lobby-The waterfall are amazing but a lot of walking and climbing.Now on are way down from the forest at Km 6 we stopped at great small Resturant with typical
PR food it was the best food of the whole trip.

Check out-Was the only Bad experince we had that did upset me a lot,as we were asking for the taxi leaving the hotel for airport I was running a little behind( 1:20 pm plane leaves at 2:55pm) a Doorman had about 7 people or party's waiting and calling one taxi at a time so he could make the tip ask him nicly if he could hurry as I needed to be airport and time was getting tight and his repley that should not have not waited so long to come to get a taxi.This doorman made me forget what a wonderful time we had at the condado Plaza.

Stayed: March 2008
1  Thank DRman
Reviewed March 29, 2008

Gorgeous hotel that clearly has made an effort to make San Juan an alternative to South Beach. Swanky lobby, colorful bar (Eternal Lounge) and spacious, comfortable rooms with great lighting made for a pleasant stay.

Had breakfast daily at Gusto D'Italia and snacks from poolside bar; from what my travel companions tell me, Striphouse was also worth a visit.

Only issue I had with property, which just went through a major renovation, was the trek from front desk to my room, which was in another tower. So up the stairs, past the casino, across skybride and up to my room I went, with my suitcase. Not fun. My bathroom was also emiting a funny odor at one point during my stay and it was the first thing I'd notice when I walked in.

Other than that, great property that is working out minor kinks. Highly recommend...it's on a great strip (Ashford Avenue) which is close to some of San Juan's best dining (Budatai, Ajili Mojili, South Beach)

Pool area was gorgeous and jacuzzi delightful.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank Beaurex212
Reviewed March 27, 2008

Le me first state the few good aspects of this property: It is very modern and looks like something out of a movie or magazine, the bar tender we had on our first night was awesome and that is about it.
We ended up spending about a hundred dollars in additional fees at check out as other people have stated which is ridiculous but if my experience was better I wouldn't have minded as much. We stayed in a suite which had a pleasant view of the road which was not what we asked for or book and for about $500 a night is totally unacceptable. Our suite was rather small but I could live with that because it was attractive and clean.

Our hot water did not work when we went to shower to go out for our last night in San Juan. We called down to the desk and were told we would get a call back immediately. We waited over an hour then called again and were given an attitude finally a couple hours later as we were leaving a maintenance man was sent up after we already took cold showers which was hard to communicate he spoke no English.

The beach isn't much of a beach and on our second to last day we were told the waves were too rough we could not use chairs and they didn't want people on the beach. Not to mention it is a very tiny public beach!!

The final straw for me though was the fact they were filming what I was told was a movie in the hotel one day and we were told we couldn't use the elevators or escalator!! When I complained to the concierge I was told that I was falsely informed. I think if they were going to have all this going on and we4 were being blocked out of certain places I should have been informed of this when I called before I booked.

I was left with a feeling of being ripped off and would not ever recommend this property to anyone. I am debating contacting the better business bureau about this resort.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank TravelWiseBoston
Reviewed March 25, 2008

Very unhappy with the additional hidden charges and hotel fees. I was quoted 4 different charges during my stay with a final charge of over $100.00 more than quoted on the website. Please be aware of additional charges of $5.00 per night per person in each room. I travelled with my daughter, a child, and was charged the additional person per room fee along with extra taxes, etc.
I even talked with hotel management about my charges days prior to checkout, received a total cost but during checkout, the desk clerk stated that the manager left out some additional fees, therefore, I was charged even more for the room. I was very dissatisfied with this hotel and its staff entirely.

The renovation of the Condado was not done very well.Our hotel room was not too clean. We had a bug crawling on the floor in our room on the first night. The rug in our room was heavily soiled. No towels were provided. Had to meet housekeeping in the halls during the morning rounds just to receive towels.

However, the Condado Hotel is in a convenient location, close to the airport and city transportation buses but lots of construction is being done in the area. I loved the lagoon balcony view from our room. I would have prefered to stay in Old San Juan or the Holiday Inn where the service is much better and the rooms are much cleaner but the rooms were all booked. Parking at this hotel is an addtitonal $16.00 per day for guests but it's provided for free at the Holiday Inn.

I would have appreciated at least an apology from the hotel staff for making our visit to San Juan so unpleasant. I will not stay at the Condado again no matter how many free night they offer. Hotel staff was not helpful. Need to provide better customer service and cleaner rooms.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed March 19, 2008

We stayed at the Condado Plaza for one night pre-cruise. Everything from our arrival to our checkout was great! The bellhop was able to direct us to a local place for dinner that had great food ,prices, and was within walking distance.
Our view was great as we could see the surf, beach and pool. We were even able to see the cruise ship the next morning!
The staff was very friendly, not what I had expected from some reviews.
My only complaint was the beach was littered slightly but I wasn't there for the beach! The pool areas were clean and beautiful.
I would definitely stay there again when in San Juan!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple