“Fantastic beach view and location but average experience” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Condado Plaza Hilton

The Condado Plaza Hilton
Ranked #24 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
BuffettAir
“Fantastic beach view and location but average experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

For San Juan standards this place is nice to spend a few days. Our biggest complaint was the noise as others have mentioned. Our first night was awesome with the only sound of crashing waves outside our balcony. (With Diamond HHonors, they upgraded us to a breathtaking view of the ocean, $7 vouchers to use towards any of their 3 breakfast restaurants, and gave 2 bottles of water). The upgraded water view was by far the best perk as you saw nothing but water outside your room and could hear the crash of the waves. Back to the noise - on the second night, the hotel was near occupancy with several cruises leaving the next day. We could hear every door slam, shout, and our next-door neighbors yelling. This was amplified because they have those room to room doors and sound travels through the gaps easily.

Overall, a good stay in a great location. Before returning to the Condado, we would probably try staying at the Hilton Caribe next time we are in San Juan. We have stayed at the Doubletree, which is nice but the lagoons/ocean near the Conrad Condado and Caribe are gorgeous and worth the extra $.

Other tips / Special Mentions:

- Using the breakfast vouchers - use them at Denny's because they go further and we actually thought the food was better than the Caribe lounge.
- the city bus picks you up in front near the lagoon beach. For $0.75 it will take you to Old Town.
- for dinner, try some of the restaurants down the street instead of the overpriced Hilton restaurants
- the rooms were modern and spaciously optimized. Comfy sofa, very nice bathroom with walk-in glass shower, and coffeemaker w/ refridge. Small complaint with 19 inch TV, when 32 inches should be the industry standard.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank BuffettAir
MichelleBurn, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear BuffetAir,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay with us! We always appreciate hearing from our guests and we are delighted to hear you enjoyed your visit. Please accept our apology for the noise issue you encountered from neighboring guests and know that our Engineering team is working on a solution to this problem. We know how important a good night's rest in peaceful accommodations is while traveling and we are currently exploring options to better soundproof our rooms. We are glad you enjoyed your upgraded room and that you were able to experience the breathtaking views from your balcony. We hope you will consider staying with us again and experiencing the tranquil space you seek, should you return to San Juan in the future.

Michelle Burn
Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (984)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

Awesome place to stay as long as is not the busy summer season. I just had to stay a whole week to Sandy storm, the management was very gracious trying to accomodate us with a better fare and the location and beach are great, I have stayed on the summer months and its just too busy, another story.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nurikany
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

We stayed 3 days at the Conrad and would definitely stay again. The hotel was perfectly placed with breathtaking views of the breakers with our ocean view room. The small beach and lagoon were a delightful addition to the hotel's other amenities such as casino, Denny's and other eateries and it was easy to catch the B21 bus right outside to take us to old San Juan for 75 cents
The Condado area is a perfect tourist strolling area with plenty of shops, bars and restaurants so ideal for a short break like ours. The hotel staff were very helpful; the concierge helped us order some flowers online and kept them for us until we were ready to collect them. We were very happy customers.

Room Tip: Book an ocean view room, the views are breathtaking
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with clever-hotels.com

2 Thank Moureen N
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012 via mobile

Spent 7 nights at the Conrad with my wife and 2 daughters. We stayed in a Junior Suite. Girls twin beds were comfortable but the King size in the master area sat right on a low profile frame and the mattress was not thick enough to support properly so woke up with some sore backs. Had to move rooms on day 2 because of a leak from floor above, but the new suite was right next door and worked out fine the rest of the way. Local staff take it easy and without haste, so plan on being patient, though your needs will be met. Facilities were good and Cafe food was formidable though pricey. It hurts to get hit with the daily resort fee on checkout day...what do you pay a room rate for? But that is a PR economy thing more than anything. All in all, the experience was good but were it not for my extended family living in PR, I would have rather spent what I did at El Conquistador Resort or the Dominican Republic. This place is better suited in, my opinion, for shorter stays.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

We stayed for 7days.The overall location, eye appeal from entrance to room, and staff is simply breath taking. The double building hotel is linked together with a lit sky-walk just over the street. The hotel staff were always courteous and took the extra time to make us feel as though we were the only people staying there. With each passing of the front desk, they gave my little one year old a stuffed animal that they kept in a basket behind the desk. The hotel has in-house set up for those looking for tours available in the main lobby. The hotel is very close to many restaurants (I recommend the Cosa Lola right next to Chilli's: DELICIOUS + you get a huge portion for what you pay), within very short walking distance (to the left). They have a Denny's right in the hotel, but after eating there and venturing outside the hotel (to the left) and eating at the other restaurants, save your money and eat out whenever you can. You'll have more bang for your buck and it'll stretch a lot further. The view is majestic! We experienced light up night full of festivities just a short walk away from the hotel, and when not traveling to our son's basketball game ( ESPN's Puerto Rico Tip-Off), we enjoyed a very relaxing day poolside. They were certain to give us details for a return and tossed in group ratings for our family. Everything here fits well for those traveling solo, with family, or as a couple! It has a little something for everyone!! The next time we return, we will be bringing our entire family.
For 5 star service, rooms, and activities for an unbelievably affordable price, stay here.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank TaTanise M
Greenville, SC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

The hotel is nice, it is two towers in the Condado area. The room we stayed in looks just like the picture and the staff was very helpful and friendly. There was a bar, a DJ thur and fri night that we were there, two swimming pools (one with a swim up bar), a very small strip of beach, a pretty decent gym, a casino a Dennys and a few other restaurants we did not visit.

Positives:
- Comfy beds!
- Great housekeeping service- well cleaned each day and we went through towels like crazy
- Location within walking distance to a few places to eat (casa Lola, Chilis, Subway, Wendy's etc..)
- Bus stop right in front of the hotel if you are going local
- Friendly staff and the concierge can book things for you
- Poolside massage service available
- Denny's in the building for an easy breakfast (great service there too)
- Good gym and jacuzzi-- but get out of the hotel
- Amazing view! I took the Hiltonhonors offer to upgrade to ocean view and it was worth it. It's amazing to stand on the balcony and see the ocean for miles or just listen to the waves crashing against the rocks.

Negatives:
- The lighting really isn't that great, I could have used another lamp
- If you want beachfront this probably wouldn't be my first choice
- The door to the room was a little loud to open and close-definitely a minor point, I think ours had a problem anyway.

Room Tip: Get the ocean view
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank maj2155
NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

My twin sons and I just returned from a 5 day Thanksgiving vacation.
We booked through Priceline, and I emailed the manager ahead of time to request two beds, and a high floor...and if possible a great view.

When checking in at 1:00 in the morning, I was greatly surprised when they told us that our room was on the 10th floor Ocean view...the view was incredible!

We spent day one lounging by the pool which was near empty (Wednesday).
Day two we rented a car and drove to Fajardo to meet up with Kayaking Puerto Rico for their Kayaking Tour. Flamenco Beach is paradise....I highly recommend taking this tour!

Day three we went to the caves. The cave tour could of been better organized. When we arrived, we were given a number. After you pay for your tickets, you than give the number to a woman at a desk, who tells you what time your tour begins. We were told our tour would not depart for another hour. The tour itself was good. I actually enjoyed the head phones. After the tour ended, we than waited for a good 15 minutes before the trolly took us pack up to the parking lot. We spent more time waiting than actually in the caves. I am glad we saw the caves, but I wouldnt go back.

Day four we were back at the Conrad enjoying the beach and pools. I actually enjoyed the lagoon there. The pool area was packed, and they had activities going on.

As far as restaurants...we went to Denny's for breakfast which was good, and also had one dinner there. We went to Raices in Old San Juan. The decor is fun, the food was good too. We went twice to Il Postino..once for breakfast/brunch and once for dinner. Both meals were excellent. We also went to the Latin star to watch the Jets game (very embarrassing to admit we are JETS fans--they were killed).

We toured La Concha and the New Vanderbilt Hotel which is gorgeous! I still preferred the Conrad for my family needs.

Would I stay at the Conrad again....yes!!! The pool area is very nice, I enjoyed the location.It is very family orientated. My boys enjoyed hanging out by the pool, visiting the gym, and playing pool, and I loved taking the elevator down to the pool. I also loved the fact that the resort is not large, so I was never worried where they were...we were all able to do our own thing, and meet up. It was a care free vacation...what else can you ask for.I was there to spend time with my boys, and we had a great time!!!

One last note: I can not say enough nice things about the people of Puerto Rico. Twice we were lost traveling to and from Fajardo, and people went out of there way to help us with our directions, even driving us to Rte 3. Than while snorkeling in Culebra, my son lost his only contacts. We went over to the mall to Pearl Vision center, and the Dr gave my son a quick eye exam, and 4 pairs of disposable lens. When I asked her the cost, she responded "No charge, just come back to Puerto Rico again"...and I can assure you we will!

Room Tip: High floor...even #'s
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank willstwins
Dear willstwins,

Thank you for your feedback! I am very glad to hear that you and your sons where able to fully enjoy the room, the pool area, the gym, and our beautiful facilities. Indeed, the people from Puerto Rico are very hospitable, happy, and helpful to give out a lending hand; I am glad to know that you were assisted to drive back to Route #3 and your son got his contacts!

Please, feel free to contact me should you wish to visit the island again!

Kind regards,

InterContinental San Juan
InterContinental San Juan
#5 of 13 in Isla Verde
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,255 reviews

Been to The Condado Plaza Hilton? Share your experiences!