“Nice to look at but that is about it...”

The Condado Plaza Hilton
Ranked #24 of 48 Hotels in San Juan
Boson
“Nice to look at but that is about it...”
Reviewed March 27, 2008

Le me first state the few good aspects of this property: It is very modern and looks like something out of a movie or magazine, the bar tender we had on our first night was awesome and that is about it.
We ended up spending about a hundred dollars in additional fees at check out as other people have stated which is ridiculous but if my experience was better I wouldn't have minded as much. We stayed in a suite which had a pleasant view of the road which was not what we asked for or book and for about $500 a night is totally unacceptable. Our suite was rather small but I could live with that because it was attractive and clean.

Our hot water did not work when we went to shower to go out for our last night in San Juan. We called down to the desk and were told we would get a call back immediately. We waited over an hour then called again and were given an attitude finally a couple hours later as we were leaving a maintenance man was sent up after we already took cold showers which was hard to communicate he spoke no English.

The beach isn't much of a beach and on our second to last day we were told the waves were too rough we could not use chairs and they didn't want people on the beach. Not to mention it is a very tiny public beach!!

The final straw for me though was the fact they were filming what I was told was a movie in the hotel one day and we were told we couldn't use the elevators or escalator!! When I complained to the concierge I was told that I was falsely informed. I think if they were going to have all this going on and we4 were being blocked out of certain places I should have been informed of this when I called before I booked.

I was left with a feeling of being ripped off and would not ever recommend this property to anyone. I am debating contacting the better business bureau about this resort.

• Liked — the lobby saddly thats all i can come up with
  • Disliked — scamming
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank TravelWiseBoston

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,046)
Chicago, IL.
Reviewed March 25, 2008

Very unhappy with the additional hidden charges and hotel fees. I was quoted 4 different charges during my stay with a final charge of over $100.00 more than quoted on the website. Please be aware of additional charges of $5.00 per night per person in each room. I travelled with my daughter, a child, and was charged the additional person per room fee along with extra taxes, etc.
I even talked with hotel management about my charges days prior to checkout, received a total cost but during checkout, the desk clerk stated that the manager left out some additional fees, therefore, I was charged even more for the room. I was very dissatisfied with this hotel and its staff entirely.

The renovation of the Condado was not done very well.Our hotel room was not too clean. We had a bug crawling on the floor in our room on the first night. The rug in our room was heavily soiled. No towels were provided. Had to meet housekeeping in the halls during the morning rounds just to receive towels.

However, the Condado Hotel is in a convenient location, close to the airport and city transportation buses but lots of construction is being done in the area. I loved the lagoon balcony view from our room. I would have prefered to stay in Old San Juan or the Holiday Inn where the service is much better and the rooms are much cleaner but the rooms were all booked. Parking at this hotel is an addtitonal $16.00 per day for guests but it's provided for free at the Holiday Inn.

I would have appreciated at least an apology from the hotel staff for making our visit to San Juan so unpleasant. I will not stay at the Condado again no matter how many free night they offer. Hotel staff was not helpful. Need to provide better customer service and cleaner rooms.

• Liked — The view from our room
  • Disliked — Hotel staff and service provided
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
mattoon,il
Reviewed March 19, 2008

We stayed at the Condado Plaza for one night pre-cruise. Everything from our arrival to our checkout was great! The bellhop was able to direct us to a local place for dinner that had great food ,prices, and was within walking distance.
Our view was great as we could see the surf, beach and pool. We were even able to see the cruise ship the next morning!
The staff was very friendly, not what I had expected from some reviews.
My only complaint was the beach was littered slightly but I wasn't there for the beach! The pool areas were clean and beautiful.
I would definitely stay there again when in San Juan!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — COst
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pokey89
brooklyn
Reviewed March 19, 2008

It's the lack of service that kills this place. Everything else is pretty great. The place looks sharp. Kudos to whoever designed the renovation - it's sultry and chic. The location is great. The price is reasonable.

But the service... They kick you out of your beach chairs to stack them up at 5:00 when there are still plenty of people enjoying them. The beach is crap but it would still be okay if they serviced it. We waited an hour for our drinks the 1st day. After waiting an hour the 2nd day, we went up to the bar to get them ourselves only to find out the orders were never placed.

This is where the service starts to really rank. I made a comment that the drinks really should be on the house at this point and was told to go speak to the manager which we did. He didn't apologize and he didn't comp us either. He asked us where we were sitting on the beach which led us to believe he would follow up with a round on the house. Nada.

This ticked me off so I mentioned it at checkout. The woman at the desk called over and was told he would do nothing for us. I could've probably swallowed that if he'd have schmoozed out some kind of apology but we didn't even get that. The desk clerk suggested I complain on the online survey which I did and received ABSOLUTELY NO ACKNOWLEDGEMENT. You can not claim to pride yourself on customer service if you do not even respond to a specific complaint.

There is too much competition to be that lacking in customer courtesy and it's really too bad because I would have made this my go to place in Puerto Rico.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank vicchickBrooklyn
Solution_Condado, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, March 21, 2008
We welcome all of the feedback that you can provide and thank you for taking your time to comment about your stay. Your posting shows an area of opportunity for us and I would love to talk to you about your stay. Please contact me at Hneumann@luxuryresorts.com. Bests, Henry E. Neumann
atlanta
Reviewed March 19, 2008

I just returned from our 4 night stay. Overall the hotel was very nice and clean. The bathrooms were very large, as well as the rooms. We were upgraded to from a city view room to an ocean view for no charge. This was nice and views were breathtaking. The outside terrace, off the lobby lounge, was very relaxing and had great views as well. The pool was great with plenty of chairs. The poolside service was great. I see that prior reviews stated the drinks are expensive. To me the drinks seemed to be the same price as any beachfront hotel with pool side service. The lobby lounge was packed at night and really fun. There were many photo shoots going on during my stay, it was interesting to see. I was a disappointed with the restaurants on site. Many were not opened during parts of the day and the lobby lounge did not serve food. There should have been more food outlets for a hotel of this size. The Italian restaurant had great breakfast and ice cream. The beach was small, but that did not bother me because I am a pool person. If you usually stay at Marriott, Hilton, etc, this hotel is totally different in terms of convenience and hands on service. Other than at the pool service, none of the staff offered assistance prior to asking. Part of the reason I choose this hotel was because of the location and the ability to walk to restaurants. However, none of the restaurants within walking distance were appetizing. We went out to the Marriott one night for dinner and dancing, and it seemed a little nicer. All in all, this hotel met my expectations and I would stay here again.

• Liked — The pool
  • Disliked — lack of restaurants
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 18, 2008

The renovation is spectacular and very chic. From the lobby, to the rooms, to the restaurants, to the pools, and outside grounds, this place sparkles! Checking in was a breeze but we came in at 3 AM. We were upgraded to the ocean side building (thanks to Henry E. Neumann!!!!) and there were 2 pools, one even had salt water, which is more enjoyable than chlorine and a Jacuzzi. The pool area is unbelievable; the young man got our towels and our chairs ready after we asked him to get us set up in the shade. There is great water slide and a nice swim up bar in one pool with the best service with a smile. There are a few private secluded areas that looked very romantic, and there was a tent set up for massages by the sea. Although the beach is public, there was security and it was safe. The beach area is small and overlooks a bridge over Condado lagoon, but it's nice enough. The beach is in the bay that pretty much guarantees no waves but the ocean is a bit rocky. One of the greatest things to do is to grab one of the many hammocks and just relax under the palm trees. We had lunches by the pool every day and the service was good for a simple lunch fare. The view from the room was breathtaking and the sounds of the crashing waves against the sea wall were so soothing. Everything was new and the bathroom was huge, and had plenty of storage for clothes. The bathroom was enormous, and yes, contained the closet, the mini bar, and the coffee maker. It seems a bit odd!
In the Italian restaurant where breakfast is served, the staff was slow and sometimes inattentive. Breakfast portions are huge!

• Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
Reviewed March 17, 2008

After a disappointing start (room overlooking renovations), we enjoyed a wonderful stay as a result of the corrective action taken by staff. The hotel is in the 'beach area' but also one of those closest to old San Juan so the ability to swap between one area and the other was excellent. The further up the beach you go, the further away from the old town you are. And on a busy night going to dinner in the old town with standstill traffic, that makes a big difference. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to The Condado Plaza Hilton? Share your experiences!