“Perhaps things are better now...”

The Condado Plaza Hilton
Ranked #22 of 48 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed March 2, 2008

I don't know where this will end up on the list of reviews, but I stayed for one night during a lay over in San Juan in February of 2007. Although it would appear that the renovations that plagued visitors at the time ended sometime in the fall of 2007, my experience was in an already-renovated room. My impression was that the renovations were mostly cosmetic in my room and you could see the true age of the hotel just beneath the freshly stuccoed paint and behind the wall panel lights. The bathrooms were stunning, but the platform beds were an odd touch and I couldn't help wondering if the interior designer was entirely sane. I couldn't get in-room internet access to save my life. On the other hand, the view from the patio was breathtaking. I will say this: in 2007, they were really trying.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (4,935)

Reviewed February 29, 2008

- Nicely furnished and clean rooms
- Friendly staff
- Couple decent, fairly priced restaurants within the hotel
- Well kept pool area that looks out on the ocean
- Good selection of restaurants within walking distance (you should definitely check out Ajili Mojili if you stay anywhere in Condado)
- Close proximity to Old San Juan - short bus ride for the adventurous

My wife and I had a positive experience here and I would definitely recommend to friends/family.

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank natron06
Reviewed February 27, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Condado Plaza Hotel and Casino for 8 days in which we were treated very well. All the employees we had contact with were very hospitable and friendly. We booked a tour to the rainforst through the hotel. The van was on time, picking us up in front of the hotel. Our driver was very friendly and knowledgable of the rainforst and the surrounding area. I am looking forward to going back to Puerto Rico and will stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank ItalianTravelerLargo
Reviewed February 25, 2008

My boyfriend and I arrived around 12:30p.m check in was not until 4:pm....as soon as we arrived check in was fast and they also let us check in right away. We even got an upgrade to an ocean view room on the 9th floor the view was fantastic... hotel is very clean, looks just like the pictures online. The staff was very nice and accomodating and very helpful...the pool area was fantastic... the beach at the hotel is very tiny but serves a purpose...If you want more of a beach then walk up the street to the Marriott (public beach) rent chairs for $5 for the day and enjoy. The food and drinks are a bit pricey at the hotel but you can also go up the street we found alot of nice places to eat and the food was fantastic! I recommend Hacienda Don Jose right up the street.....ocean view to die for!!! great breakfast, lunch and dinner and very inexpensive. Also for dinner we went into Old San Juan and ate at a very nice place called Raices (Cuban food) (make reservations the hotel will make them for you). very good!!! Also try Cafe del Angel up the street as well and Ropa Vieja.......Tip....buy your beer, wine, etc at the package store up the street as well and buy a small cooler as you can take it on the beach becuase it;s public instead of buying a beer for $8 of a frozen drink for $10..We loved it so much that we just booked another trip for april!!!! Cab ride where ever you go is $15....you also have to go into Isla Verde go to El San Juan Hotel very good entertainment and cool place to go dancing and people watch!!! Hope this helps!! Have fun!! Thanks Again Mr. Neumann for making our vacation a trip to remember!!!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank islandgirl3568
Solution_Condado, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2008

You are very welcome. If I can be of any assistance in the future, please let me know. Best Regards, Henry E. Neumann Hneumann@luxuryresorts.com

Reviewed February 24, 2008

We stayed at the Condado for a week in January. The room was recently renovated and especially nice, since we faced the ocean. The staff was always helpful. The hotel has three nice pools, including one with salt water. It also has a real, well equipped fitness center. Location is good with lots of restaurants within walking distance. Great place and not expensive!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rhodie12
Reviewed February 20, 2008

Stayed one day pre-cruise and can't say enough nice things about the hotel and staff. We got in to San Juan around 1 PM and were able to check in early to a large room in the renovated main tower. My sister stayed in the part of the hotel across the street via a walkway and her room was nice, but her bathroom was about one fourth the size.
Our room had a city view, but we could see the cruise ship docked from our balcony.
The lobby area was gorgeous -- very clean and moderrn, and even had a huge fish tank to watch if waiting for a taxi.
The bathroom was really huge and spotless.
The front desk guys were helpful with directions. Starbucks adjoins the hotel. Make a left as you go out the front door and there are many restaurants, shops, etc.
Pool area was clean and had lots of available lounge chairs.
This was just a very pleasant hotel stay. Would recomend and stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank lvs2cruz
Reviewed February 19, 2008

Wow!! I can't say enough great things about our experience at the Condado Plaza. We went this past weekend for a pre-celebration of my 30th birthday and found the experience to be extremely enjoyable. First off, the decor of the hotel and our room were pretty impressive and chic. However, even before seeing either, our great time all began with outstanding service from Henry Neumann - if you have the opportunity to meet him, please do - he's the best and very knowledgeable, helpful, you name it! He answered all of my questions and concerns prior to coming and even gave us a complimentary upgrade to the ocean view room. Thank gosh! The view and the sounds of the ocean can't be beat. We loved the staff at the pool - Sterling, Joey, Juan (trivia king) - they were all wonderful, accomodating and made our pooltime a ton of fun. My boyfriend is a big gambler and he had a great time in the casino too. I read a recent review of the Italian restaurant's service - I must agree that was probably the only downfall of the entire place - it took over 35 minutes to get our breakfast. BUT, I guess we didn't mind so much b/c we just enjoyed the view and being on vacation, we weren't in a rush to go anywhere! Oh! And with regards to the steakhouse, please note that you'll pay a pretty penny for drinks. I think we stopped in for 2 glasses of wine and it cost us about $40! However, there are so many great restaurants, shops, etc. right next to the hotel and down the street, so there honestly is never a lack of anything to do, see, etc. In fact, we had a tough time trying to pinpoint where we should eat next! Also, everywhere we went, the people of Puerto Rico/Condado/Old San Juan were so incredibly gracious and hospitable. We'd go back in a heartbeat and when we do, we wouldn't consider staying anywhere else. Thank you for the wonderful stay! :)

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bal2278
Solution_Condado, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2008

I am extremely happy that you enjoyed your time with us. If I can be of any assistance in the future, please contact me. Best Regards, Henry E. Neumann Hneumann@luxuryresorts.com