“Overall Nice Stay”

Ranked #24 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Arlington, Virginia
“Overall Nice Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2012

I stayed at this hotel two weeks for work in Feb 2012. I stayed in an ocean view on the 7th floor. Check-in went smoothly (around 7pm) without a wait. My first room was on the 3rd floor and was very very noisy due to a wedding in the lobby area. I changed rooms the next night up to the 7th floor without a problem. The rooms were modern and clean. There is a safe, mini-fridge, coffee maker in each room. Omel/Otel? at the front desk is very great, friendly and eager to assist.
I dined at the Caribe cafe for breakfast and service is quick and the coffee is good (better than Dennys). The Denny's located in the hotel opened 1 week prior to my arrival so I dined here quite a bit (and for a lot cheaper) too! The Denny's is REALLY nice and new with a full-bar (cheaper drinks without the view). The servers are all BRAND new and very uneasy--it's pretty obvious. I cut them some slack because the place just opened a week prior.

The pool bar (bartender David) is great and very friendly but drinks are a littly pricy. I loved the swim up bar option too.

The lobby bar (bartender Chris) is nice 'swanky' vibe and has happy hour in the afternoons!

Eight Noodle Bar has pretty good food. The service is not friendly...but the sushi is pretty good.

The gym is very nice and has everything you could want including a sauna and jacuzzi! Free weights, dumb bells, kettle bells, bozu balls, medicine balls, treadmills, etc etc

Pools are nice--salt water pool, 2 other pools, 2 jacuzzis. Servers also walk around taking orders. The one issue was the towels. You cannot get a towel after 6pm at the pool and you must return them to the towel attendant by 6 or you will be charged 25.00 to your room. (Thus, you have to take the towel back to the pool the next day to turn it back in to avoid the charge.)

The beach is pretty small and is right off of the main road (Ashford).

Casino is open 24hrs but not all the tables are open all the time. They have one or two tables operating in 'off-peak' times. (before noon)

There is no shuttle from the airport. (It's about 15 mins away from airport) Old San Juan is just over the bridge a few miles and is a great place to eat and walk around. A taxi will take you for 14.00/each way. Parking in the hotel is 16.00/day to self-park.

Checkout was the worst part of my trip. Having stayed for two weeks I had a LONG bill and decided to go to the desk early to get a print-out to review the bill before checking out. I reviewed over breakfast and noticed a charge for the in room water (7.00) that I did not consume. The front desk removed the charge once I told them--no problem. Everything else seemed accurate and I decided to pay and check-out. I asked if possible to put 'incidentals(food) on one bill and the room + tax on another bill' with two forms of payment for work voucher reasons. She told me it was not a problem--It took 45 mins for me to get checked out. There was an issue separating the charges into different folios and apparently was much more complicated than I thought it would be. The girl became visible agitated and annoyed with the whole process. Her co-worker (Oneida?) helped her and figured out the issues. Once printed I noticed a charge that should not have been on the food bill, it was a room fee. I showed her and they fixed it but at this point everyone was frustrated. If they told me it was THAT difficult to split the charges I would not have done it.
As I walked away and said 'thank you' she didn't say a word and her acted highly annoyed at me for something that she couldn't figure out. After spending that amount of money I would expect a 'thank you' in reply from the front desk check out staff.

Overall, I enoyed the hotel property and all the amenities. I enjoyed most of the staff with the exception of the front desk (morning) group. The lines were always extremely long and they were not trying very hard to be nice.

Room Tip: There are two towers. One is on the lagoon and has nice city/lagoon views. The other tower is on t...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Jenna C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,027)
AZ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2012

I have traveled here on business at least 5 times over the last 2.5 years. The hotel is very nice, the rooms are beautiful, the grounds are spectacular but Management is horrendous! Service is good on the most part, but I don't like waiting to check in for close to an hour when there are 6 people in line and only one person working the desk. I watched at least 3 managers come out from the back, answer a question and then disappear again.

Maids were very good, dining service was a little slow but for the most part I enjoyed the property. I mentioned something to one of the Managers, he looked at me like I was crazy! The Hilton chain needs to do something about this group running the hotel. I don't know if I will be back to this proprty.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank tanfasticAZ
LeahRossi, Front Office Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, February 26, 2012
Dear tanfasticAZ,

Thank you for your very interesting feedback, both positive and negative. I would first like to apologize of course if you felt that some of your stay included slow service. If after check-in time you had to wait over an hour, I hope that you were somehow compensated for this inconvenience as it is certainly not our standard. Please contact me for further details or comments.

Leah Rossi
Guest Service Manager
leah.rossi@conradhotels.com

Travelers are raving about these San Juan hotels

San Tan Valley, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Conrad hotel from Jan 21-28 and stayed in room 740.
We really enjoyed the hotel and the staff. We found the staff was the friendliness of ANY Caribbean island we have stayed. The grounds we so clean it was impressive, they detailed everything absolutely the cleanest hotel I have stayed in years and we stay in nice hotels. The hotel could use an update but it was not run down in any way. We utilized the bars and restaurant at the hotel and enjoyed it all. We liked the Noodle and Italian restaurants; there is a high end restaurant as well.
One thing we also liked was that we could safely walk to restaurants and even a small liquor store that had all one could need. There was shopping a little further down the road.
The Casino was large enough and had a nice assortment of gaming activities and slots.
My wife and I stay somewhere in the Caribbean every winter. We both agreed we would come back to this hotel. Some of the reviews we read could not be real, this is an honest review. We stayed here and we really enjoyed the visit. The photo we posted was taken from our room balcony.
You will enjoy the hotel we did.

Room Tip: We suggest teh tower that is on the ocean
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DaveMow
Thank you, Dave, for this wonderful and detailed review of the hotel. We would be delighted to have you stay with us again and provide you the same, if not similar room type. Please contact me when you begin to plan your next trip!

Leah Rossi
Guest Services Manager
leah.rossi@conradhotels.com
Cookeville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2012

We stayed at the Conrad Condado for 5 days in February 2012. Our room was a balcony room facing the ocean. Our bed was situated that when you woke up you had the ocean as your view. The room was very large as was the bathroom. We watched the Superbowl on a big screen at the bar and enjoyed appetizers and drinks. The service during our stay was always top notch. The party we traveled with used the casino on several occasions and was pleased with it. Some nights they won, dome nights they lost. What they enjoyed the most was that the "feel" of the casino and that you did not have to leave the hotel to enter the casino. They felt safe.
We ate at the on site restaurants for most of our meals and we were pleased with the quality and quantity of the food. Believe me, they did not skip on the quantity. We enjoyed both the fresh and salt water pool and played on the slide several times. All around we had a great stay and enjoyed every minute of it.

Room Tip: Get an ocean front room. We love the sopund of the waves.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank WeenjoytravelingUSA
St. Thomas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2012

All I can say is I am reserved for 2 additional stays this year!!! 3 if I can get more time off! AMAZING rooms amazing customer service, amazing MANAGEMENT!! My fiancé and I went for a romantic getaway and our expectations were exceeded tremendously! Everything was perfect; room service & food, restaurants, drinks in hotel bars, room design creativity and comfort; cleanliness, views; STARBUCKS customer service!! We even received a "welcome to the hotel" call when we woke up after checking in the past evening! 100% A+ and extra credit! I will NEVER stay elsewhere when I go to Puerto Rico. They have earned my respect and loyalty!

Room Tip: Email the hotel guest services for the inside scoop to understand what you are paying for. also emai...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Forest Hills, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

My family and I booked this last minute trip about a month before Christmas, so as expected many hotels were booked up. The Conrad was one of our best available options, so we took it. However, as clean and comfortable as the property was, I think I'd opt for another hotel for future SJ visits.

The hotel has two buildings - one right on the waterfront and one across the street. Due to our last minute booking, both of our rooms were across the street. However, we were lucky to have a corner room facing the lagoon which still had a beautiful view. Be sure to ask for a corner room if you can if you're relegated to the other side of the hotel. Our room was moderate size, average furnishings, but very clean (and the bed was extremely comfortable.) Because my husband and I had a corner room, we also had a large bathroom but my family members on a higher floor in a suite had a tiny bathroom. I wouldn't say that's a make or break.

The hotel pool is very nice, and the little tiny lagoon/beach has warm water (hotel guests also get a wrist band for free lounge chairs.) The hotel itself is also in a great location - short cab ride to Old San Juan and the airport, and walking distance to shops and restaurants down the street if you're looking to get off the hotel property.

The biggest cons are these - for the price, this is by no means a luxury property. I wasn't "wowed" by the property, decor, rooms or facilities by any means. But the biggest down side is by FAR the poor service. We tried to use the concierge several times, to no avail. Once they booked us on a trip, charged our credit cards, and then literally 5 seconds later told us the trip had been sold out. Then, they referred us to local restaurants and promised we didn't need a reservation - and then we showed up to a long line. Every time we asked for towels or local tips, we were meant with very rude hotel staff (the towels were never even delivered.) We also asked on New Year's if we'd be able to see fireworks, to which a manager at the front desk told us she had "no idea." And then at midnight we could see not 1 but 3 fireworks shows (and would've been in a better position to see them had we known!)

Overall - definitely clean, comfortable, great pool, safe and nice location. But we met a couple at the airport who stayed at the Hotel Hilton Caribe across the water - and had a much better experience.

Room Tip: Make sure you know which tower you're in - there's one waterfront and one across the street.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank katensteve
Pembroke Pines, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2012

It consists of 2 buildings, one in front of the door. Just renovated, very modern. Not a 5 star like they claim. Very nice pools, in the Condado area, close to El viejo San Juan Vey limited area to public beach. Nice views, beach breeze and good ambiance. It has a new Dennis 24 hours open on lobby of one of the towers. Starbucks near by. Parking is 15 plus tax. Internet is free. Casino

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
#6 of 13 in Isla Verde
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,114 reviews
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort

Been to The Condado Plaza Hilton? Share your experiences!