“Great Time and Great Place!”

The Condado Plaza Hilton
Ranked #24 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great Time and Great Place!”
Reviewed October 5, 2011

I just returned from a wonderful 4 days in San Juan. I stayed at the Conrad hotel and I enjoyed every minute of it. I read a lot of mixed reviews prior to booking at the hotel, but I am happy I booked at this hotel. The staff was pleasant and the hotel actually looks like the pictures they have on-line. The outside of the hotel looks plain, but the inside is to die for. The food at the hotel is expensive, but hell it's restaurants at a 4 star resort. I suggest breakfast at the Caribe Cafe and a burger at the aqua bar. The noodle bar has really good asian cusines at a fair price. Not only are the food expensive at the hotel, but all over the condado area and some restaurants in Old San Juan. So be prepare to spend at least $20 per meal. Cabs are reasonably price. It's a flat rate everywhere. Do not pay for any tours of the Barcardi Factory. Just take a taxi from the hotel (which is $15) to Pier #2 and catch the ferry (50 cents one-way) over to the Factory. You get free drinks and a free tour. You can also tour Old San Juan for free, by catching the free trolley.

PROS: I will stay at this hotel again. It's a great deal and the views of the ocean are to die for. Great location and easy access point to anywhere on the island. The ride from the airport to the hotel is about 20 minutes long and it only cost $20.

CONS: The Beach is small and very rocky, but you can go to other locations within a 10 minute walk to enjoy a larger smoother beach. The other con is that I did not win enough money at the casino. I also wish they had a nightclub at the hotel.

Overall: I loved this hotel and this is the best time of the year to go. Weather is perfect and the hotel is not crowded. Beautiful hotel with a great Staff!

Room Tip: Conrad hotel has 2 buildings or towers. I like tower number one that is where most of the amenties a...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank jay C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,058)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 4, 2011

Ok Hotel, nothing great about it.
Just got back last week after spending 5 days there. All and all, it's an average hotel.It's definately not "great". The hotel needs work. You can tell it's been around a while.
The pool was nice, but it desperately needed to be cleaned. Not the water, but the pool itself. Steps were dirty, almost looked list rust? The pool bar needed to be fixed. Just needs alot of of TLC. The staff was fine. Not overly friendly, but no complaints about them, just ask them, they will help you.
Drinks are over priced.. $10 for a frozen drink that comes in a small plastic sup. Look for the happy hour deals.
Beach was small, but nice. Bring the water shoes, you will need them. It's kind of rocky out there.
Plenty of room in the pool area.
I stayed in a king suite they called it. ( I think ). Big room, nice bed, with a private balcony ( ok, sort of private. People in the next balcony can see their neighbors)
My room was on the 3rd floor, lagoon view.
The higher up you are, the better view.
You can walk a mile along the ocean, and hit just about every kind of eatery, and shop you can think of, so the location is good.
There is a Walgreens about .75 miles away. Take a cab, go shopping, and stock up. Save some cash at the resturaunts in the hotel. We only ate at the "Cafe Carib" in the hotel. Food was moderately priced, and tasted moderate as well.
If you want soda, or water, there is a soda machine at the bus stop outside the hotel. $1 for a bottle. Best deal in town. Load up, bring em back to your room.
If you want to go to "Old San Juan", take the bus. It's .75 cents one way, exact change, coins only). They run about every 45 minutes. Ask the bellman which bus to take. As I mentioned, the bus stop is right outside the hotel. A cab will cost you a flat rate of $15.
If you can get the ocean view room, go for it. That is, if you plan on spending more time in the room as opposed to going out often.
Free WIFI in the hotel.
The lobby was VERY nice.
Clean, and modern with a huge aquarium.
Cab ride from the airport is $15 plus $1 for each bag.
Keep your receipts for the room charges. We found something that we were charged for, that we didn't order. We weren't the only ones.
On Saturday, by far the busiest day, there was only 1 person working the pool bar. I counted 100 people in the pool area. Way too many people, for 1 person. We waited forever for drinks.
Alot of our view was looking at the back of the attached building.
I definately wasn't "disappointed" Maybe I was expecting too much from a hotel on the ocean in Puerto Rico,
I travel frequently, so I know a little about hotels. This was was definately as average as average can get. It's not like I would cringe if my next meeting was scheduled there again.
Oh, the casino sucks ( only because I lost as usual )
Hotel room doors are freakin noisy. Metal on metal clanking when they close.
Maid service was fine, no complaints.
Bathroom was FANTASTIC. Maybe it was because I had a king suite, but the shower was huge.
Senior Frogs in Old San Juan is really fun. Music, dancing, and good drinks. This is where you want to go party.
There's also a brewery ( forget the name). great local beer, and the food looked good (although we didn't eat there)

Room Tip: If you're staying in the room a lot, go for the ocean view. Next up would be the lagoon view...
2 Thank Bill L
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 3, 2011

The mixed reviews of this property almost led me to cancel and book elsewhere - I'm glad I didn't. Prior stays at El San Juan and Caribe Hilton were disappointing for the price paid, but this stay at Conrad Condado Plaza went some considerable way to repairing my low expectations from San Juan hotels.

The hotel is well located at the end of the Condado strip. It is formed of two buildings either side of Ashford Ave. The Lagoon Tower on one side and Ocean tower on the other. We received a complimentary upgrade to an ocean view room on the 7th floor. The proximity to the shoreline provided excellent views over the ocean and a peaceful vantage point from which you could enjoy the sounds of the waves crashing against the rocks. The room, as with the hotel itself was modern and contemporary in design. The decision to put all the storage in the bathroom was odd though - they could easily have made the bathroom smaller and put the closets and drawer space in the room itself. Housekeeping was adequate but not thorough with glasses and cups left dirty. Staff throughout the hotel were helpful and friendly, though the service at the pool bar could be slow - even though it didn't seem that busy. Noise from other rooms was minimal, but perhaps carpeted floors in the rooms would help when the guests in the room above are walking around in stilettos. Wi-Fi access in the rooms worked well and was fast enough to stream Netflix movies with only minor interruptions.

The main pool was great for the kids with a small water slide and volleyball net. The beach is not private, but was never crowded. It benefits from some shelter from the waves being at the entrance to the lagoon, but beware the black sea urchins if you venture too close to the rocky area. A cabana overlooking the ocean was the location for massages at $45 per 30 mins. We didn't indulge, but spoke to someone who thoroughly enjoyed his massage. Loungers were plentiful and we had no problem finding a good spot at any time of day. Breakfast at the Cafe Caribe offered generous servings and the pricing was reasonable by hotel standards - don't bother with the so-called 'Continental Breakfast' offering though. Self parking below the hotel was $15 per day and there is a Starbucks right outside the front entrance. A good selection of restaurants is available within a few minutes walk.

Room Tip: Ocean view 5th floor or higher for the best rooms.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 2, 2011

We recently stayed at the Conrad Condado in San Juan on Sept 10 prior to our cruise. I wanted to say thank you to Raul Bustamante and his staff for making the first night of our honeymoon better than we could have expected. They went above and beyond our expectations. The hotel was beautiful and clean. I would highly recommend this property to anyone traveling to San Juan.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Shawn237
LeahRossi, Front Office Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, October 3, 2011
Thank you for the review of your recent stay with us. It is wonderful to know that we were able to contribute to your lovely honeymoon trip! We hope to see you again soon.

Warm Regards,

Leah Rossi
Concierge
Guest Services Manager
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 1, 2011

I stayed at Conrad San Juan last week. I was very impress with the service, the staff was very friendly and the rooms were amazing. The ocean rooms are very chic red and big, especially the bathrooms. I love the shower. The room was very clean. I ate at Pikayo and the food was so great. I met the General Manager, Mr. Bustamante, he was very professional. I highly recomend this hotel. You will love to have a massage with Ivan.

1 Thank Coco L
United States
Reviewed September 29, 2011

I visited this hotel last week with a couple of my friends for 4 night stay. I would say that the hotel quality is less than 3-star hotels, I have stayed with. I was particularly appalled by the quality of house-keeping - they did not clean the bathroom properly, things such as iron were left in places where I had used them and on occasion even the towels were missing from the room! There is a hotel Del-Mar which I would suggest for anyone visiting this place for nearly same money, it has a better casino and other facilities.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
LeahRossi, Front Office Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, October 1, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Your feedback is appreciated always and we are disappointed that you did not feel housekeeping services were adequate during your stay. Please know that these issues will be addressed and we hope to improve for a potential future stay. If you would like to further discuss your concerns or book another stay please contact me and I will be sure to address personally.

Leah Rossi
Concierge
Guest Services Manager
NYC
Reviewed September 28, 2011

This is a very chic hotel, with trendy décor all over. All public areas -lobby, bars, restaurants, pools- were lovely appointed. All these beautiful spaces were mostly underutilized, with very few customers/guests lingering around. Rooms were beautiful, with a contemporary look -- ocean view rooms are highly recommended! Service, however, was not as friendly/useful as it could be expected from this type of facility. The valet parking staff was generally indifferent; they will not approach arriving guests and/or offer to help w/ luggage. Only tried two of their restaurants; Pikayo and Café Caribe. The first one, Pikayo, offers world class cuisine and service w/ Latin flavor; highly recommended. Complimentary breakfast was provided at Café Caribe, which was just OK. Very little offered in terms of environmental sustainability; just a card by the bathroom towers talking about reusing towels. Given the location in the Caribbean, by the beach, it would be nice if this hotel provided at least for some recycling!

Room Tip: Ocean view is great!
1 Thank RubenNYC
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort
Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to The Condado Plaza Hilton? Share your experiences!