“Don't Even Consider Staying Anywhere Else !!!!!”

The Condado Plaza Hilton
Ranked #22 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed October 6, 2007

Stayed for 2 nights Oct. 2 & 3. Check in was a breeze at 1:45pm.
The ocean-view room was immaculately clean, with refrig. safe, hairdryer, coffeemaker, and upscale selection of shampoos and lotions. The bathroom was very large, marble and mahogany with glass shower. The view from the balcony of room 716 was totally awesome---overlooking the ocean and Old San Juan.
ALL of the elevators are working in the hotel, and yes, there is some renovation going on in some areas, but they are being done in such a way that you don't really notice---no inconvenience whatsoever. The pool areas are spotlessly clean, and very well staffed. The main pool area has food service available and beach assess, with a swim-up bar. The entire staff at this hotel is one of the best I have ever encountered. Whatever you need is available, fast, and always with a smile. Joey at the pool bar is a great source of information on the area, and a fun guy. Makes you feel right at home. Guest Services printed out my boarding pass the morning of departure, complimentary, which saved me some time at the airport.
The ONLY bad thing-----I had to leave, but will be back !!!!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled solo
4  Thank BroncoBill
Solution_Condado, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2007

Great. Please contact me if I can be of any further assistance in the future. Best Regards, Henry E. Neumann Hneumann@luxuryresorts.com

Reviewed October 1, 2007

We spent several days at the Condado Plaza recently. I have the highest praise for their entire staff and the service we experienced! Even though the hotel is in the midst of renovation, we were not inconvenienced in any way. Our large room had a beautiful view of the lagoon. The location is so convenient - walking distance to good restaurants and a short cab ride to Old San Juan.

On my last day, I was in the business center printing our boarding passes, and left my cell phone by the printer. The staff found it promptly. When I called from the airport, they immediately dispatched someone to deliver it to me curbside. This was an extra service they didn't have to provide and was much appreciated.

We will definitely stay at the Condado Plaza again on future trips to Puerto Rico.

• Stayed: September 2007
1  Thank Rebecca A
Solution_Condado, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2007

We are here at your service. We take extreme pride in providing exceptional service and going the extra mile. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay. Please visit us in the future. If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me. Best Regards, Henry E. Neumann Hneumann@luxuryresorts.com

Reviewed September 30, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Condado Plaza for 6 nights in late September 2007. We were in a lagoon view room in the lagoon tower.

The hotel offers easy access to Old San Juan. There is only a small beach near the hotel. There is a lot of construction going on in that area, both inside the hotel and outside as well. The rooms have been completed, but they are still working on the lobby in the ocean tower. The construction area (the lobby, the walkway to the casino, and the casino) was a mess. Also, there was a jackhammer drilling in the casino during working hours.

The room was nicely decorated with green and blue hues. The view of the lagoon was gorgeous. The bed was comfortable, and there was a flat screen HDTV. My husband complained that the TV was not set up properly (something about people's faces being improperly squished), and the content was not in HD. My husband says there was no way to adjust the aspect ratio on the TV (whatever that means).

The glass shower in the bathroom leaked. Also, the sliding door to the bathroom did not offer a lot of privacy.

The 2 guest elevators in the lagoon tower were down about half of the time. We used the service elevator at those times.

Dining options in the hotel are limited. We tried Tony Roma's, where the food was sub-par. We ate breakfast at the Italian restaurant. My vegie omelette had an entire bell pepper chopped into it. The pancakes were gigantic and heavy, not light and fluffy. The fruit cup included canned fruit. We had better luck with more basic items, like oatmeal, poached eggs, and toast. We had room service a few times. Service was good and the chocolate cake was yummy.

We took full advantage of a $300 resort credit offered by the hotel. We used it for parking for our rental car, dining, and in-room movies. There is a large selection of in-room movies.

The hotel offers some nice touches, like fresh flowers in the common areas. The renovated gym looked pretty nice. However, I would not recommend staying at this hotel until the construction is completed (supposedly in late November 2007). With the unsightly mess and the noise, the hotel does not offer a restful, peaceful environment that I would want on a vacation. I would probably go with the Caribe Hilton or the Marriott instead.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank lujain
Reviewed September 11, 2007

Before I left for Puerto Rico I read many of the recent reviews and was weary of what to expect because of the mixed opinions. I'm glad to say my boyfriend and I had a wonderful stay at the Condado Plaza. From the reviews and the hotel website I was aware of the ongoing construction, however I contacted Henry Neumman and he assured us that he had booked us in a room away from the construction and we sholudn't be bothered. Honestly, I hardly even noticed that there was any construction going on at all unless I was walking to the Casino through the skywalk. The pools at the Condado Plaza are so relaxing and beautiful, not to mention clean. My boyfriend and I seemed to especially like the lap pool which was away from the other pools and seemed more private. We ordered room service twice and the service was so fast! Not to mention the food was great. The Casino was excellent, until we lost all of our 600 dollars that we had won. (not the hotels fault) We tried the Italian restaurant at the hotel. We especially liked the Calamari for an appetizer and the Lobster Pasta as an entree. I actually happened to bump into Henry several times. He gave us great advice on things like where to go for dinner or where the nightlife is. All of the concierge staff was extremely helpful and seemed like they genuinely wanted everyone to have a great time in PR, as I'm glad to say we did.

I would definitely recommend the Condado Plaza for anybody planning a trip to PR. It's a close walk to a beautiful beach, has some great restaurants nearby, the service is great, and the rooms are breathtakingly beautiful due to their recent renovations!

OH YEAH! I almost forgot. Everybody was complaining about the broken elevator. It has been FIXED! There are 2 working elevators and they are FAST! :)

Thank you Condado Plaza Hotel & Casino! We had a wonderful time.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
7  Thank amytung23
Solution_Condado, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2007

I am extremely happy that you enjoyed your time in Puerto Rico and your stay at our hotel. We take a lot of pride in providing great customer service. To update the elevator situation, both of our elevators in the Ocean Tower are renovated and running. In the Laguna Tower, one elevator is remodeled and running and the other is currently being remodeled. We are doing this renovation work with the elevator during low season when traffic is slower. I would like to thank you for your stay. If I maybe of any assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me. Best Regards, Henry E. Neumann Hneumann@luxuryresorts.com

Reviewed August 28, 2007

We just returned from a 5 day stay at the Condado Plaza and can't say enough great stuff about it. We went with my in-laws who were attending the NGAUS convention and I had some reservations when I read the reviews about all of the construction going on - but it was a minimal distraction.

The staff at check-in were not able to get our room moved to be closer to my in-laws (they were in the Ocean View tower and we were in the Laguna tower)
The next day when the couple in the room connecting to my in-laws checked out my mother-in-law asked the gentleman handling the NGAUS check-in (I wish I could remember his name - began with "A") if there was any way we could be moved to that room (not holding out any hope that we could) and he simply said it was no problem at all and had us moved within hours.
This was our impression of all of the staff we encountered - very friendly, very patient and very willing to help in any way.
The Bell Staff was awesome - Felipe was always there with a smile and any offer of help - we were headed to a well known bakery in Old San Juan when he recommended La Murrica (sp?) instead - and it was awesome! $15 for all 4 of us.
Cesar was fabulous and remembered our kids by name each time he saw them - went out of his way to give a smile or see if we needed anything.
Inez at the concierge desk was extremely pleasant and helpful.

Ate dinner once and breakfast a few times at Il Gusto in the hotel. Food was good - a bit pricey but that's not unusual - staff was extremely courteous and friendly.
Pool was great - never felt really crowded and kids loved the slide... the pool bar staff was a bit harried and it took a while to get service sometimes - but always with a smile.

Construction could be heard about 9:00am but it wasn't too bad and hardly made a difference to us. It looked like just about every hotel around was under construction.

Wouldn't recommend Tony Romas which is in the hotel - so-so food and so-so staff.

One small thing.... the rooms are decorated really beautifully - very chic and modern - this includes sliding doors on a huge bathroom that has a glass shower in the center of the room, the sink and vanity area, the toilet, the closet and the coffee/fridge area all in this one room... didn't mind this at all and actually liked it being separate from the sleeping area- but if privacy is an issue for anyone this set up and the sliding doors might not be to your liking... Again, we liked it but they desperately need to oil the sliding doors - you could wake the dead opening them.

Great location - Starbucks across the street - restaurants in walking distance, nice beach at the hotel and a 10 min ride (tops) to Old San Juan, 45 min to the rainforest.

So, we loved it - it was a great time and we would definitely recommend it. Hope to go back next year - apparently May - Nov is 'off season' and barring any hurricanes it's a great time to be there.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
6  Thank tuck123
Reviewed August 18, 2007

We had a 7 night stay at the Condado Plaza for our 10th anniversary in August 2007. After a lot of research, I chose the hotel based on location and price. I knew it was undergoing renovations (as is every hotel in the Caribbean in the summer off-season) but I e-mailed the hotel management before our visit and was assured that the renovations wouldn't affect our stay.

We had to ask for help locating the check-in desk because it was not right where you enter the building, but up one level. Check in was quick and easy. We had booked a city vista room, but received a complimentary upgrade to an ocean vista room in the Ocean Tower. The room was great - the view, the decor, the bathroom, all of it. It was unlike any typical Marriott, Hilton, Holiday Inn, etc. but really unique. To get to our room, we came in through the Laguna Tower, walked up the one flight of stairs (never even thought about using the elevator that others have commented on for one flight), walked across the tunnel between the two buildings, and took the elevator up. Both elevators and the pool elevator in the Ocean Tower were always working and there was never a delay of any kind.

We went in the casino once for about 20 minutes. It was busy at times, but never packed, and it looked like it could easily accomodate the guests. The pools were beautiful and scenic. Again, they were never really packed and there were never any problems getting a chair or anything. The bar at the pool was nice. The beach is small and also public, as is every beach in San Juan - even the Marriott and such have to let the public on, we learned. However, the staff would bring chairs for you if you wanted and the beach was plenty big enough for the people using it. The water was clear, calm, and warm.

Having a taxi stand at the hotel was convenient for getting around. Prices are set so you know you're not getting scammed. The bus stop is also right at the hotel and easy to get into Old San Juan for 75 cents. There are lots of good Puerto Rican and other restaurants within a 5-10 block walk down Ashford Avenue. It was a nice stroll in the evening to find a restaurant if we weren't in Old San Juan. We never ate at the restaurants in the hotel because we'd rather experience the local flavors.

Overall, our experience with the hotel, the staff, and the amenities was great. When the renovations are complete, it will be even nicer, but we had no complaints. Mr. Neumann and his staff (especially Jean Pierre, who went out of his way to find a tour for us when the one we signed up for wound up being full) were wonderful and we would recommend the Condado Plaza to others.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
8  Thank terps94
Solution_Condado, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2007

I am glad that we could be of assistance and that you enjoyed your time on our property. If I can be of further assistance in the future, please do not hesitate in contacting me, Best Regards, Henry E. Neumann Hneumann@luxuryresorts.com

Reviewed August 15, 2007

Yes the room could have been a little bigger and the bed a little more higher, but over all my stay there was great !!!!!! the staff was friendy. The hotel and the room was clean just one problem was the elevator. There was just one elevator working for everyone except if you use the elevator by the pool which you would have to be passing by the guys doing renovations on the hotel. The hotel is nice I even fell in love with the bathroom(cool shower :-). Over all it's in a great location it is walking distance to stores, subway, natural flavor (for people who don't eat meat or eat anything with dairy in there food), dunkin dounut's, wendy's and walgreen's. I would surely stay at the Condado Plaza Hotel & Casino again, again and again..........

Julie S. from St.Croix U.S.V.I