“Hidden Treat”

Cuisines: Caribbean
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch
Reviewed February 13, 2013

After a day of sightseeing, we wanted to try a little local fare and wandered into Cafe El Punto by pure luck. The food was delicious, the service friendly, and there was a real local flare to the setting and food. We were even serenaded by a local older gentleman playing a guitar. The stuffed avocado is a must try (we had it with beef and it was surprisingly delicious combination).

There are newer reviews for Cafe El Punto

Reviewed February 5, 2013

Someone recommended this to us, but we were disappointed. Fried plantains and the mofungo bowl were very dry and compressed, not worth eating. (In contrast, these items were great the day before at Cafe Puerto Rico, a few blocks away -----another endorsement of that place were the locals there). Other items edible but not special. Finally, many small flies at our table ruined the experience. Do not recommend.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

We had a very nice lunch in one of the smaller rooms. The crab mufungo (jueyes) was excellent as was the shrimp relle. It was quiet when we arrived, but as lunch hour came, more people came in. Mainly locals on their lunch hour. Like many places in Old San Juan, the building has been around for a long time, so it's not all modern, therefore retaining it's historical feel. If we had more days, we would have gone back.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

It is a hidden restaurant in historic Old San Juan. It has a very authentic feel. Don't let the condition of the building intimidate you. The food is fantastic, especially the stuffed avacado with chicken. It takes awhile to get the food, but it is worth the wait!

Reviewed January 24, 2013

My friend and I was walking around Old San Juan looking for a place to eat lunch. We came across this restaurant. The greeter was so cute. She said we have the best food here and it's homemade. We thought, why not so we gave it a try. I must say the food was absolutely amazing. I had stuffed guacamole with chicken, rice with garbanzos and tostones. The food was seasoned right and it was totally fresh. I washed it down with the Puerto Rican verison of iced tea with lemon. I say that because traditionally lemonade is in liquid form. This lemonade was in a slushy form. I could really taste the lemon in this drink but I loved it. The decor of the restaurant is very nice and the prices are very reasonable.

I will definitely eat at this restaurant again!